Menu

What vehicle do you have that seats 8?

StaceyinLA

I have a 2013 Honda Odyssey and I love it.  It seats 3 in the 2nd and 3rd rows and 2 in the front.  It is fully loaded and the doors are automatic which is probably the greatest invention ever.  I think it could get crowded if you have a bunch in carseats though.  But we've quite easily put 7 and 8 in it with only one in a carseat and two in a booster.  It's probably one of my favorite cars that I've had but I do prefer sportier things, not really a possibility with a bunch of kids though.  :)  It drives like a car and not an SUV, we had one and I hated driving it.  The only thing I don't love about it is how wide it is, but I suppose that's par for the course when you want a car that seats many.

We have an older Chevy astro which we loved when we fit in it. We now have a 15 pass but the astro was great because it was roomier than a mini van but didn't have the stupid fold down climb over seat of the suburban. They don't make it anymore but if you are looking at used then its am option.

We have a 2011 Honda Odyssey (the first year of their new design) and we absolutely love it. We have used the eight seats a few times, always with at least a car seat and a booster seat comprising two of them. Though I've never sat in the 3rd row, I have sat in the middle of the 2nd row (the "jump seat") and it was just fine. The only complaint with it is the seatbelt had a bit of an odd angle because it comes off the ceiling of the car rather than behind the shoulder. But it is doable, even for long stretches of driving. It is definitely wide, but also has a lower profile, and hugs the road well. (We have traveled cross country twice in it, driven the I-70 into Denver (oh that was scary!), and have been very impressed in how it has handled all the driving. I kind of wish dh wants one (we need to eventually replace his Civic); it's just a great car for us. 

My hubby just got me a new Suburban in November, and I drive it with all the grandbabies inside.   It can seat 8 people, and I love it.  We have 2 in the third row in car seats and two in the second row in car seats.  We have enjoyed the space greatly as with 4 little ones you can't travel light.  

I've posted about how much I love my Toyota Sequoia before. 

I still love it!

Specifically:

We get 20-22 MPG (for real!)

The seats all have 3-point seat belts and head rests.

Decent, but not huge, storage behind the 3rd row.

We can hold 8 people, comfortably.  All the seats are usable.

It handles great-like a car.

Every brand of car seat I've installed fits like a charm.

Decent-powered V8, with 4WD. Good ground clearance.  We drive on a lot of ice, snow and unpaved roads.

I think the ABS in my model is fantastic. I had to slam on my breaks recently on an ice covered interstate, and they worked!  I was amazed!

Nice head room and leg room (we're all taller than average).

I love the consistent reliability of Toyota.

What I don't love:

Lame towing capacity

Small-ish gas tank (I'd prefer it to be 30 gallons, but it's only 22.)

Although the storage behind the 3rd row is good compared to other vehicles in the class, it's nowhere near what you'd get in a Suburban.  Hauling around 8 people AND their stuff gets pretty tight.

Honda Pilot

Love, love, love it. I plan to get another one in a few years.

:iagree: I actually just sold mine because I no longer need to seat eight ... but I loved it and would buy another one in a heartbeat. My sister had an Odyssey and my SIL had a Sienna - both were also good choices and they were pleased with their cars. But when we needed to really haul the kids around, we almost always ended up in the Pilot. The seats were roomier, especially when we had 3-4 in car seats.

That's another thing. I don't really need the back seat to fit adults for the most part; kids or car seats, yes. But I DO need it to have 3 seat belts.

I'm going drive a Traverse tomorrow just to see if I want to keep it on my short list. I have kinda eliminated the Suburban just because of gas costs. We live 45 miles from a "real" city, and I go there a fair amount. I don't want every trip I make to cost me $20.

I have a Honda Pilot, which I love. I currently plan to replace it with a newer model when my current one wears out.

My two vehicles before this were both Ford Expeditions. I liked them because they had lots of room. BUT, my second Expedition developed *holes in the roof* from a manufacturing mistake. There is a service alert out there for a lot of Ford trucks. Several people have sued and won, but Ford won't do anything about it without you suing. Plus, their dealer service shop was extremely rude to me about it. I'll never buy another Ford as a result of the whole experience. 

The Honda is much easier to drive than my Expedition was. The Expedition was like driving a full size pick-up or something. 

We have a 2005 Toyota Sienna. Still works great, gets about 22mpg in the city. A few months ago dh rode in a Honda Odyssey and complained that the second-row seats don't flip up like they do in the Sienna. So he had to climb over the middle row to get out. I don't know if this is true for all Odysseys or just that particular year and/or model. Just something to consider.

We have an older Chevy astro which we loved when we fit in it. We now have a 15 pass but the astro was great because it was roomier than a mini van but didn't have the stupid fold down climb over seat of the suburban. They don't make it anymore but if you are looking at used then its am option.

I could have written this. Agree with busymama7

We have a Toyota Sequoia and like it just fine. Before that we had a Ford Expedition and I loved it! It was an older model though (1998). I don't know how the newer models are. It had 215K+ miles when we sold it to our neighbor and that thing is still going strong. We never had a problem with it. We've never had a problem with the Sequoia either, but it is quite a bit newer.

Yukon XL, but we have had 3 other suburban/yukon xl.  Back it the day we hauled our kids and their kids, now we haul grandkids. 

Love that it's 4 wheel drive. Love that we can haul a washer/dryer along with 3 adults, or a full size fridge, or anything else we might choose to haul around.

OUr current model only has 7 seat belts and we wouldn't do that again.  I don't know if we do a big vehicle again, but since this one is paid for and only 70,000 miles, we might be driving it a for a good long while.  It gets harder to climb up into the older I get.  And I have older or handicapped friends that can't get into it.

Toyota Sienna. There is massive storage in the back. I can fit luggage and food for a week of traveling PLUS the double stroller. I can also visit Costco and the grocery store in the same trip and fit everything in the back. I've installed car seats in the 3rd row without trouble. The middle seat in the 2nd row is a tad narrow (it's also removable), but I've sat in it comfortably. I get decent gas milage (low to mid 20s).

DH has a 2012 Cadillac  Escalade which he loves.  This can seat 8 if you make sure that you choose the option to have bench seats in both the second and third row.

We also just got a 2014 Mercedes Sprinter which I have decided I can drive. I just really don't want to.  I'm really considering this DH's third vehicle (and he is aware of this contingency).

I really like my volvo but I do need something bigger (or need to get more psyched about driving one of DH's vehicles) so I'm supposed to be looking.

We have a Toyota Sienna that comfortably seats 8 and has plenty of storage space in the back. Our previous vehicle was a Honda Odyssey that also seated 8. Both get decent gas mileage, are great for long road trips, and have plenty of upgrade options. I've loved my minivans - and this is coming from someone who only ever had SUVs and was sure I would NEVER drive a minivan :)