Menu

How much is it worth to not get the flu?

Moxie

The baby has the flu. Our doctor wants all 7 of us on Tamiflu. That will cost us our $500 prescription deductible. Ugg. I don't think it will help the baby at this point because she's been sick for days. While I hate the idea of everyone sick--$500!!!

Please don't give me statistics about dying from the flu. That won't sway me either direction.

I have an hour to decide.

I'd seriously consider it, especially for anyone (DH?) who has to work. The flu can linger for a couple of weeks making work impossible.

I'm not sure about doing it for everyone, but at least for him, and maybe for you so you can care for the others? Is anyone asthmatic?

This is coming from someone that believes it is important for humans to catch and/or ward-off illnesses regularly to be healthy….. I would not do it.  It is likely that most of you have been exposed anyway.  Tamiflu can shorten the illness.  But *can* would not be worth $500 for me.  Unless you have someone in the house that is immune-compromised or have some event in the near future, be it a working adult that MUST go to work or something else, that cannot be missed, I would just face it head on.  Chances are you will either all fight it off before it hits or it will hit anyway and the Tamiflu will just give you a tiny bit of relief.  If that $500 is a big chunk of needed income, I think I would just skip it.

I'd seriously consider it, especially for anyone (DH?) who has to work. The flu can linger for a couple of weeks making work impossible.

I'm not sure about doing it for everyone, but at least for him, and maybe for you so you can care for the others? Is anyone asthmatic?

I agree. Maybe for both you & dh, but not for all.

Tamiflu worked amazing for us a few weeks ago. We didn't start it until the day our symptoms started, though. I felt almost completely normal within 24 hours. The last time I had the flu I was down for two solid weeks. I took Tamiflu that time as well but didn't start it until the end of the second day of symptoms.

Is there a way your doctor could call in the prescription to the pharmacy and you wait to fill them based on if anyone becomes ill? We often have the doctor call in something but don't fill it right away or only fill part of it.

We always get flu shots........ but dh didn't used to.... He did do Tamiflu once, which helped reduce the number of PTO hours he needed to use. I'd probably do it at least for you & your dh. What would life look like in the house if you were down for the count for a week (or more, depending on severity)?

If you live in Texas, then yes, I would consider it. Also, if you are pregnant or someone in your family has asthma or some other chronic health condition, then my answer would be yes. I'm guessing that the mortality rate in

Your area has been higher than the national average for him to recommend Tamiflu for the entire family.

I wish I cOuld stop my iPad from randomly capitalizing letters. Sorry. :o

I wouldn't, but we wouldn't have the money to spend.  I might consider it for just my DH since he is the sole money earner right now.  I definitely would for my YDS who has severe asthma but we are fortunate that his prescriptions are fully covered.  I am sorry you are in the position of having to make this type of decision.

Our Tamiflu "policy:" 

Dh takes it, because he's the breadwinner

I take it, because if I'm the primary caretaker.

We might put ds on it, because he has asthma & often runs high (as in 105 degree) fevers, even when on Tylenol & Advil together.

We make everyone wear masks & gloves if they are in the same room as the sickie--but for the most part, we try to isolate. Last year, we followed this "policy" when ds  came down with the flu (and 14yo dd came home from a sleepover with the stomach bug at the same time), and no one else caught either illness. We got Tamiflu for ds, but I'm not sure that we would do it again if he were already infected. It didn't really seem to help him. He ran a terribly high fever (105+) that almost resulted in an ambulance call. He was on Tylenol & Advil and throwing up. It took a lukewarm bath to bring it down. We were on the phone with his doc while all this was happening, and that is the only thing that kept us from calling 911. We live too far away from the hospital to make the drive in a situation like that. Scary!!! 

Anyway, FWIW, that's what we would do.

$500 and you've already been exposed multiple days + incubation is several days before symptoms show? Maybe for the adults if that is comfortable for you financially. Also, if you hold off and then get it at the first sign of symptoms it can be helpful too. We've had the full fledged flu multiple times and it's absolutely miserable for a LONG time.

Next year, I would get everyone immunized.

$500 and you've already been exposed multiple days + incubation is several days before symptoms show? Maybe for the adults if that is comfortable for you financially. Also, if you hold off and then get it at the first sign of symptoms it can be helpful too. We've had the full fledged flu multiple times and it's absolutely miserable for a LONG time.

Next year, I would get everyone immunized.

What makes you think we aren't?

Has everyone in your family taken Tamiflu before?  Last time my girls had the flu, we elected to use Tamilfu to reduce the impact for the kids.  One of my dd's had a severe allergic reaction to it.  

If you have kids with asthma, I would consider it for them. There is risk along with cost to consider.

Are you a believer in other methods? Immune strenghtening substances like elderberry syrup (aka Sambuca) in a bottle could supply your family for less than $500 even if you have to buy several bottles during the next few days. A combination of ginger and garlic mixed in rice boosts your immune system - for less than $500.

Are you a believer in other methods? Immune strenghtening substances like elderberry syrup (aka Sambuca) in a bottle could supply your family for less than $500 even if you have to buy several bottles during the next few days. A combination of ginger and garlic mixed in rice boosts your immune system - for less than $500.

Honestly, not really. I'm pretty sceptical. Thanks, though!

I think I'd get prescriptions for everybody but not fill them unless/until there were symptoms.

Sounds like a good alternative since you don't put much stock in other methods. At the first symptoms, you can dose the patient and see what happens. Not everyone catches everything. Your kiddos may have good immune systems. I would get the Rxs filled for yourself and dh. Nothing worse than Mommy out with the flu and kids are on the loose. I have a vague memory of this some 19 years ago...

It just occurs to me, aren't you pregnant?

What makes you think we aren't?

Sorry - not making any accusations at all! I am terrible about getting all of us immunized personally every year even though my intentions are always good. Especially now that my kids are getting older. I do intend for all of us to get immunized, but someone here has been sick with something for the past 6 weeks, so we have not gotten in. My ds is hacking a lung right now, but has not had a fever, so some kind of cold is making the rounds. 3 of us had full fledged flu over the holidays last year and I know how miserable it is. We've had it 3X over the years. (One of those times was H1N1 before they were immunizing for that).

If you are immunized, I would likely not spend that kind of money on Tamiflu unless baby had a confirmed case of something not covered by the shot this year. ((( hugs )))

Why do you say you only have an hour to decide? The doctor can write Rxes for all of  you, but you don't have to fill them. And the critical time window is only for those who have started to show symptoms.

If your dh works outside the home, I'd recommend getting a prescription for him as a pre-emptive measure, and possibly for you as well. Your kids are pretty young, so maybe one for you as well, or fill it only if you become symptomatic. 

Sorry - not making any accusations at all! I am terrible about getting all of us immunized personally every year even though my intentions are always good. Especially now that my kids are getting older. I do intend for all of us to get immunized, but someone here has been sick with something for the past 6 weeks, so we have not gotten in. My ds is hacking a lung right now, but has not had a fever, so some kind of cold is making the rounds. 3 of us had full fledged flu over the holidays last year and I know how miserable it is. We've had it 3X over the years. (One of those times was H1N1 before they were immunizing for that).

If you are immunized, I would likely not spend that kind of money on Tamiflu unless baby had a confirmed case of something not covered by the shot this year. ((( hugs )))

If it makes you feel any better, 90% of the flu right now is H1N1, so if you've had it, you're probably good this year.  Also, my brother has the flu right now and had a flu shot, which supposedly includes H1N1 this year.  He is a healthcare professional, so yes on the positive flu test, and yes on a real shot.  But the shot is not always effective even if it happens to include the right strain.

Well, I think we're going to do it. The baby is miserable. I don't want to deal with the other kids getting sick because I'm too lazy. Plus, we're supposed to stay away from other kids until everyone is fever free for 24 hours. That will really mess up our schedule next week.

It's just paper with dead guys on it, right???

Well, after having Flu A last year that incapacitated us for two months, I would say do anything to avoid the flu. When we had H1N1 in 2009, DH didn't move off the sofa for 10 days, Asher threw up for 48 hours and we were on the verge of taking him to the ER when it stopped. It took us two months to fully recover from that, too.

Some of us have gotten the flu shot this year. Even those individuals are being told to use the Tamiflu. Wth?!?

DH says he is nostalgic for the old days when you got sick and were excited if you survived. Funny guy.

LOL - at least your husband has a sense of humor.

If some of you were vaxed, I'd think your dr. was getting a commission on Tamiflu! I'm shocked he's wanting you to pre-emptively treat people for strain A that were vaxed.

All 5 of us were vaxed, and all of us came down with strain A.  DH was the first and the worst hit - it's been 10 days and while he's functional, he's definitely not 100%.  In fact, he canceled a major work trip for this weekend because there's just no way he's going to be able to make it through.  It's been 7 days for the 8yo and 5yo -- the older is still a bit under the weather, but the 5yo is recovered except for the cough.   I was only flat-out sick for 2 days, plus a couple of days of feeling a bit off, and the 3yo (who is still nursing, for whatever that's worth at this extremely late stage)  has basically seemed like he's just had a bad cold.  

As I said, New York minute.  

Just something to consider. My son just had the confirmed flu. The urgent care doc recommended the rest if us to call our regular doctors to get Tamiflu. I called my dr. She said she would give it to me but just wanted me to know that my insurance would just cover it once. So if I took it now just as a preventative but later actually get the flu my insurance wouldn't cover it a second time.

No way, Tami Flu has some serious nasty side effects. High dose Vit D will knock the flu on its aft in a day, so will Ocillo:)

The four of us have taken Tamiflu twice and had zero side effects. We've tried natural remedies and they did nothing, but this time Tamiflu had us feeling normal within 24 hours (except my dd with asthma).

Just make sure it's safe to take if you are pregnant.

It is (at least in the third trimester not sure about earlier).  Two of my kids came down with the flu 11 days before my due date last year.  My OB immediately put me on Tamiflu because they were worried about me being sick for delivery.