Menu

So, is amazon accurate?

happypamama

I ordered a handful of items from amazon on Monday (16th). All are in stock, and all qualify for free super saver shipping (and I am over the $35 mark). Amazon assured me that they would be here by the 24th, so I didn't pay for speedier shipping. There are two amazon warehouses very close to me, like 25 minutes and 30 minutes. It is now very early Sunday morning. The items have not yet shipped but are still saying that they will arrive by the 24th. Hmmmm, do we think amazon is accurate in that, or not? (IDK if the stuff will come by USPS or by UPS; amazon seems to use both for me. If it's by USPS, I will be stalking my mail carrier and will drive to the PO if need be to get those packages.)

Just wondering -- do y'all think I will get these items by the 24th or not?

I'm not sure at this point because everything I order ships in one day from the day I ordered unless it states otherwise. Did those items say there would be a delay in shipping?

Nope, they didn't. I have seen that happen with the free super saver shipping occasionally, though -- it'll sit there for several days before shipping, but then when it does ship, it arrives really quickly. And then I've also had things arrive less than 24 hours after ordering, even without being a Prime member, so it's anyone's guess, I suppose. I do hope this stuff arrives Tuesday, though!

It's pretty accurate, but of course it depends on your area. I'm rural, so I usually tack on an extra day to the estimate when I decide whether or not to spring for faster shipping.

I'd be embarrassed to admit how much I know about Amazon anywhere else on the internet but here. :rofl:

I've had Prime for a couple years, but when I used SSS (before I had Prime), sometimes it would take 1-2 weeks to arrive even though 90% of the time things got here in a couple days. With SSS, there were no guarantees, and I got burned once or twice at holidays. With Prime, 99% of the time, they are on time. I am not sure if they have changed things and now guarantee/promise faster shipping with SSS, but back 2+ years ago, they definitely didn't make promises for very fast delivery. I would guess that during this super busy season, your chance of a speedy delivery with SSS is reduced, so I wouldn't count on the stuff arriving on time. I hope your stuff gets there on time, but I'd have a back up plan in place in case it doesn't!

Before I got Prime (I can't believe I survived without it!), I used SSS, and it almost always arrived in the estimated time range.  Now that I have Prime, it ALWAYS arrives in 2 days if it is a Prime item.   Now that we live near Seattle and several distribution centers, things often come the next day, and once I ordered a book at 9:30am, and arrived at 3:30pm THE SAME DAY!  Can you believe that?  I ordered something this evening around 8pm and at 9pm, I got an email that it had just shipped!  Crazy!

I'll keep my fingers crossed that your stuff arrives!  Amazon is usually pretty good about that.

is this regular shipping or prime 2-day standard?

I've had things come the next day (they were shipped prime).  so yes, things do depend upon how close to your location they are.

and then, someone actually has to scan the item to have up-to-date information.  if it's not scanned, the information could be out of date.  I've had that happen too. 

My sons big Santa present was delayed.  It sat in Phoenix for 5 days, making it miss the estimated delivery date.  I contacted them several times because my parents still had to mail it to me in Japan once it was delivered to them.  Amazon refunded me 20% of the purchase price because of the delay.

Y'all make me want to order more just to see what will happen.  I love prime.  If Amazon says it will get there then I would trust that.  There will always be a weather gamble.

i am done shopping  though i am worried about one ds, whose presents mostly revolve around one thing (raspberri pi) because all the necessary attachments added up.  i did not get him the other stuff on his list.  He is getting only one other game.  I hope he isn't disappointed.  Now that I write this,  I wonder if I should try to order one of the junky Spy Gear things he wanted...  he wrote his list in  a Word document on my computer with embedded links to amazon lol...

Amazon has been outsourcing some, but not all shipping to regional shippers like Laser Ship, instead of UPS/FedEx/USPS.  It's not consistent, and varies by region, so this may or may not apply to your shipment.  I've had a couple sporadic late arrivals with Laser, and there have been other complaints online.  You might be able to tell which carrier Amazon is using on the tracking page four your order.

We have been having really bad luck with Amazon. Actually it isn't Amazon, but our local post office. Amazon will ship it out quickly, but our post office will take 3-5 after it has arrived there before delivering the items to us. It has been taking close to a week before many of our Prime items arrive to our house. We have complained. Amazon looked at our account and noticed the issue as well. They are changing our account to not have things transferred to the local post office for delivery. I haven't ordered anything since the change so I don't know if this is going to help or not, but I am hopeful.  

Janet

My items nearly always arrive when they're supposed to.  This season, I've had two items arrive one day later than they'd originally stated, but I received emails from Amazon stating that the carrier had issue with their truck/plane.   I have Prime now, but it was always that way for me, even with SSS.

Also, sometimes I would think an item hadn't even shipped yet but it would show up at my doorstep and then I'd get the email that it had shipped, after I already had the item!  I'd bet it will be there Monday, or Tuesday at the latest. 

Oddly enough, it does not appear to have shipped from the warehouse(s) near me; instead, it is coming from Indiana. It is coming UPS, for which I am very grateful. The FedEx/USPS partnership is very slow for us; I think that is largely our local PO, which sometimes takes four days to get first class mail to and from my mother's house (3 hours away from me). So fingers crossed, but I do have a backup plan, just in case. :)

Normally I would say yes, it's accurate.  But last week I ordered some stuff 2day shipping (I have Prime), it said it would be delivered by the 20th.  However, the 20th came and went, UPS still shows it in KY and no explanation for why it didn't make it...  

Even UPS said it was 2day air.  

Hopefully it'll show up with the stuff that's scheduled for tomorrow!!  

Amazon has been outsourcing some, but not all shipping to regional shippers like Laser Ship, instead of UPS/FedEx/USPS.  It's not consistent, and varies by region, so this may or may not apply to your shipment.  I've had a couple sporadic late arrivals with Laser, and there have been other complaints online.  You might be able to tell which carrier Amazon is using on the tracking page four your order.

Our only beefs with Amazon have all been delivered (or not) by Laser Ship.  If I see them as the shipper, I can't trust that it will come on time.  And most of the time they lean the packages against the garage door right behind van, so I have to make sure that I don't back over them.  Of course we always complain, 

Post Office, UPS, and Fedex are completely reliable, and are always on time.

I hope you get your shipment. We have Prime, and have never had a problem until this year. Ordered a large (in size/price and importance) gift for Christmas that should have arrived last week, but got lost somewhere. They kept insisting it would be delivered, until finally, it's too late to order anything to replace it. Grrr... I love Amazon, but when they do mess up, they go big. :(

Post Office, UPS, and Fedex are completely reliable, and are always on time.

This is interesting. We have been having issues with our post office. They told a friend of mine that they are not bound by the shipping promises of Amazon. This December they having been holding packages transferred to them for at least 3 days and sometimes more before delivering the item to us. I follow the tracking information and I know exactly when an item gets to the local post office, but then it is a guess when the post office will actually deliver the item. From what others are saying it sounds like it is an issue with just our post office though. I had been wondering if others were having the same issues. This is the first year that Amazon has been transferring things to the post office instead of letting UPS or Fedex deliver the packages. We rarely had any problems when it came from UPS or Fedex directly. 

Janet

From what others are saying it sounds like it is an issue with just our post office though. I had been wondering if others were having the same issues. This is the first year that Amazon has been transferring things to the post office instead of letting UPS or Fedex deliver the packages. We rarely had any problems when it came from UPS or Fedex directly. 

My experience mirrors Janet's.  In November, when we were doing most of our ordering, we had shipments from several companies (Shutterfly, Lands End, and yes, the usually reliable and terribly speedy Amazon, for which we are Prime members) that arrived 2- 3 weeks after ordering.  The fault was not with the companies, it was with our local PO.  We would get e-mails from the companies saying the items had shipped within 2 days of ordering, tracking would show arrival in our city a day later, and then tracking would also show the package sitting in a post office somewhere in our city for about 2 weeks before actually being delivered.  I ordered from Lands End and LL Bean on the same day.  The LLB package was on my doorstep in 2 days, delivered via UPS.  The LE order took 3 weeks to arrive because 2 of those weeks were spent at the PO.  I let the companies with this PO "problem" know that while their part in the shipping process was working, those they were contracting with to actually get the items there was not.

We've had other Amazon items arrive in a very timely fashion, especially those that use UPS or FedEx.  There's another smaller shipper that they use and we've also had no problems there.  It's only the orders that transfer from UPS/FedEx to the USPS that get caught in some loophole that puts them in a holding pattern at the PO for an extended period, and it seems to vary based on where they are shipped from if they get sent there or not.

Definitely a small issue in the grand scheme of things, but annoying nonetheless!

I ordered three items as gifts on Dec. 13. They qualified for SSS. (I'm hoping to get Prime soon!) Amazon said they'd arrive by Dec. 21, but when I look at the tracking info, it hasn't been updated since Dec. 17. According to that info, they're in Maryland. Amazon still says, 

In Transit : On Schedule

Expected delivery: Saturday, December 21, 2013, by 8:00pm 

It's frustrating. I knew I was pushing it using SSS, but I've never seen a package sit this long. These gifts for my dc, who are fine with getting MORE presents later, lol, but I wish I had Prime.

Never had a problem with Amazon and delivery times.   I have delivery udates sent to my phone and get a text on delivery date and when an item was delivered.  We don't always use the front door so it's good to be alerted to a package having been delivered.

Normally I would say yes, it's accurate.  But last week I ordered some stuff 2day shipping (I have Prime), it said it would be delivered by the 20th.  However, the 20th came and went, UPS still shows it in KY and no explanation for why it didn't make it...  

Even UPS said it was 2day air.  

Hopefully it'll show up with the stuff that's scheduled for tomorrow!!  

There was some issue in Kentucky.  One of my packages was delayed as a result.  I don't know what the issue was, but I did get a notification about it.  Sounds like you didn't, though. 

Crossing fingers! My package just arrived in my state; it's about three hours away now. I have high hopes that it will arrive in time.

Another package (from ebay) shipped Friday afternoon from Illinois, via 2-day priority shipping with USPS. (Yeah, a couple of last minute ideas.) Its tracking says it is expected to be delivered today. I think that is probably not accurate, but I think there is a very good chance that it will be at my post office by tomorrow, and hopefully, I can hop over there and grab it.

Are they overnighting the replacement to you, so you'll still have it by tomorrow?

Oh no! I hope they overnight you the replacement.

Well, he said I'd get it after Christmas, but then he said  I'd get one day shipping. The order status says "Preparing for Shipping" and it is scheduled to be delivered by 8pm tomorrow, but we'll see.

Bummer. I should have called sooner. At least the gifts are for my dc. They're happy to get gifts any time.

I've only had a couple of items that haven't arrived when expected. One time it was because of a delay with ups or something and it was supposed to be here on a Friday and came Monday....Another time was when it was changed from ups to the regular post office delivery and that added another day.....

Ours are a bit all over the map, but I have had very good experiences with their Christmas estimates.  I think they know that getting something on a regular day a day later is not usually a big deal, but getting something on Boxing Day is going to result in angry calls.

Because of our location, I have noticed that things can ship out at supersaver shipping speed and arrive at our home the very next day. I still think you will be okay. I actually suspect that sometimes they wait to ship out our things so it doesn't get here too fast. I think they hold it so that we want Prime and things don't get here too fast.

Because of our location, I have noticed that things can ship out at supersaver shipping speed and arrive at our home the very next day. I still think you will be okay. I actually suspect that sometimes they wait to ship out our things so it doesn't get here too fast. I think they hold it so that we want Prime and things don't get here too fast.

I think you may be right! I keep debating about Prime, but so far, Netflix seems to have more of what we actually watch, so I can't justify Prime yet. :)

My package arrived!!! Both the UPS one from amazon AND the USPS one from ebay. Amazon was right about their estimate. I didn't even have to go to the PO myself. I can relax now. :)

Well, he said I'd get it after Christmas, but then he said  I'd get one day shipping. The order status says "Preparing for Shipping" and it is scheduled to be delivered by 8pm tomorrow, but we'll see.

Bummer. I should have called sooner. At least the gifts are for my dc. They're happy to get gifts any time.

The original order showed up yesterday. Yay, but now the replacement is on its way to my house as I type this. I wrote Amazon about it. Amazon said I need to refuse the delivery (if I'm here) or go through the returns process.

Poor delivery person! After the huge volume of the season to have me refuse it just doesn't seem right!

I'm waiting to see how it goes here.

I placed an order of little things on the 19th with Prime. Prime has NEVER been late for me, and often arrives overnight. I got part of the order yesterday, and the rest is still listed as delivery for today, but the tracking says "in transit" instead of "out for delivery" like it usually does.

Fortunately, they're not super important gifts.