Menu

Is knitting worth it?

UmMusa

Hey guys,

I have the urge to learn how to knit because I want something to keep my hands busy while I sit at co-ops or lessons.  Or for these LONG winter nights that start at 4pm.

However, I just can't shake the feeling that knitting will result in just more unnecessary junk in my house.  I have no desire to wear a scarf, and no one in my family wears them.  I don't want to make a little wallet or headband either.  Is there anything a beginner knitter can make that isn't one of those things? 

Ok, i'm kinda laughing at myself; I reread what I wrote and I sound whiny.  Either knit or don't knit, right?  I just want some kind of hand work to do but don't want it to be for nothing (including time and money spent).

What kind of experience can you share?  I do know how to do the knit stitch, and I found a video to help me learn how to cast on and bind off (is that the right term?)

You could always learn to knit things that you donate.  There are always tons of charities that accept knitted goods, whether scarves and mittens, baby bonnets, premie clothes, etc.

You could also knit items to sell on Etsy.

I prefer crocheting over knitting, but it's the same idea.  I usually crochet dish cloths for myself and little stuffed toys to give as gifts.

Cotton dishcloths? Some would advise against these being a beginner project because cotton doesn't have the give that wool and acrylic have so it can be hard on your hands. OTOH they're small, you can learn the basics, cotton is generally cheap, and dishcloths are practical.

But for me the best thing to knit is socks. I love handknit socks! So to me knitting is worth it.

Edited for spelling :svengo:

As Salaam Aleikhum. You could knit hats for your kids. They are fun, fast and functional and if you're in a cold climate they're a little bit of cozy from mama on winter days :001_smile: I also like to knit hats for dh. In many ways it doesn't matter so much what you're knitting when you're sitting around at various co-op classes waiting, it's just nice to have your hands occupied.

Cotton dishcloths? Some would advise against these being a beginner project because cotton doesn't have the give that wool and acrylic have so it can be hard on your hands. OTOH their small, you can learn the basics, cotton is generally cheap, and dishcloths are practical.

But for me the best thing to knit is socks. I love handknit socks! So to me knitting is worth it.

I agree on both counts. Dishcloths are the best beginner project. Scarves are long and get boring really fast. But dishcloths give you the same opportunity to learn the basics, you just get done faster and with something more useful.

I also LOVE to knit socks. My very, very favorite thing to knit. And if you get tired of wearing them, people love them as gifts.

Step one: Bookmark knittinghelp.com.

Step two: Sign up for a Ravelry.com account. There is a WTM group there, though they don't tend to be terribly active.

Step three: Knit hats for family and for charity, and dishcloths for yourself!

I am of the opinion that one can never have too many dishcloths in bright colors and designs. A pretty little cloth makes the job much more fun! And all you really need in needles is a set of 7's or 8's for dishcloths, and maybe some double points for hats or mittens. Of course, it can be addictive, so don't say you weren't warned! ;)

Step one: Bookmark knittinghelp.com.

Step two: Sign up for a Ravelry.com account. There is a WTM group there, though they don't tend to be terribly active.

Step three: Knit hats for family and for charity, and dishcloths for yourself!

I am of the opinion that one can never have too many dishcloths in bright colors and designs. A pretty little cloth makes the job much more fun! And all you really need in needles is a set of 7's or 8's for dishcloths, and maybe some double points for hats or mittens. Of course, it can be addictive, so don't say you weren't warned! ;)

This is all great advice. And also youtube is your friend, specifically vids by the knitwitch.

I just took a knitting class at a local yarn shop with my daughter in Oct.  We had so much fun.  We've been knitting dishcloths and coasters for the time being.  They are quick little projects that help you practice and we plan to sell them at our yard sale next summer.  Hopefully I'll get the circular needle set I asked for from DH for Solstice and then I can try hats. 

I made an Afghan for my grandmother. It was 12ish separate squares, each about 12 inches to a side. The yarn shop hooked me up with patterns, but there are books or the internet. Anyway, each block was different, so I got to try out different stitches without having to commit to a huge blanket's worth at one time. The squares were small enough to travel easily, and I worked them on straight needles, so less likely to fall off in transit. I used multiple colors of the same yarn.

Knitting is well worth it. I was never one to wear shawls, but now I can't stop knitting them. They are perfect for throwing over your shoulders when its a little chilly out but not cold enough for a jacket. This is one I recently made. It's made with lace weight yarn so it's not heavy or bulky.

023_medium2.JPG

You actually don't have to make a boring scarf, dishcloth, headband first.  I started one when I was a kid, knit about two inches and abandoned it for twenty years.  Then I decided to knit my dc a Christmas stocking, with a heel, double-pointed needles, four colors, lots of patterns, etc.  People said I was nuts to start with that.

It was a lot of fun.   :001_smile:

Knitting is well worth it. I was never one to wear shawls, but now I can't stop knitting them. They are perfect for throwing over your shoulders when its a little chilly out but not cold enough for a jacket. This is one I recently made. It's made with lace weight yarn so it's not heavy or bulky.

023_medium2.JPG

This is very impressive! Having done a little lace myself I cannot imagine the number of hours and concentration that went into this! Beautiful!

You actually don't have to make a boring scarf, dishcloth, headband first.  I started one when I was a kid, knit about two inches and abandoned it for twenty years.  Then I decided to knit my dc a Christmas stocking, with a heel, double-pointed needles, four colors, lots of patterns, etc.  People said I was nuts to start with that.

It was a lot of fun.   :001_smile:

I have a friend who started with socks. She really enjoyed it and went on to knit socks for her dh and their 4 dc.

DO IT!

I just started knitting about 5 months ago and had the exact same concern as you--most of the stuff seemed useless to me. BUT, I needed something to keep my hands busy (besides snacking) and lo and behold, my new favorite pastime!

SOCKS are my number one go-to project now. Start with something "plain vanilla" and learn from there.

FUN FUN FUN!

Ahem. Have you considered crochet? I've done knitting and crocheting and I find crochet to be so much easier! And there are lots of beginner projects you can do that are not limited to those you are afraid of accumulating around your house. And if you're planning to take your crafts with you to meetings, there is no "click click" sound with crochet like there is with knitting. (Not that the sound is bad, just not best if you're in a meeting).

ETA: Typed this out while the previous two posters posted! 

I made an Afghan for my grandmother. It was 12ish separate squares, each about 12 inches to a side. The yarn shop hooked me up with patterns, but there are books or the internet. Anyway, each block was different, so I got to try out different stitches without having to commit to a huge blanket's worth at one time. The squares were small enough to travel easily, and I worked them on straight needles, so less likely to fall off in transit. I used multiple colors of the same yarn.

There is a book called the Learn to Knit Afghan Book that uses this technique. It's by Barbara G Walker.

023_medium2.JPG

Um, wow. Just wow! Beautiful work!

One easy way to pracice is baby sweaters. I give many (OK most) new babies a hand knit sweater. Personal tradition which dh happily embraces because all babies should be celebrated. He takes sweaters to clients and business associates. ;) I am sure many end up in drawers but many seem to be treasured. With people having children later in life I frequently hear how glad the new mom is to have something handmade because their favourite aunt etc. would have made her baby a sweater but is dead. I think a friend's little sister has sent 5 or 6 pictures of her baby in my sweater. I never know who will love them so.... The sweaters mail cheaply too.

Baby knitting is an easy way to become accomplished. You can practice on a small scale before moving on to larger garmets.

Cotton dishcloths? Some would advise against these being a beginner project because cotton doesn't have the give that wool and acrylic have so it can be hard on your hands. OTOH they're small, you can learn the basics, cotton is generally cheap, and dishcloths are practical.

Edited for spelling :svengo:

I agree with this.  I am a beginner and found starting with dishcloths to be perfect.  They are small enough to be fast projects and practical enough to make me not feel badly about spending money on yarn as I learn the basics.  I haven;t made any lately but last year when I learned how I made some to give as xmas gifts and a bunch for my own kitchen.  I also started granny squares so I can make a afghan but haven't worked on those in a long while and hate that I have this stack of squares I did and no finished project yet. 

It might not be 'worth it' for you. I don't think I fill my house with 'useless junk' and people seem to adore what I give them. I don't knit for charity but I do give a whole lot away. If you don't know anyone who could use a baby gift, or a person who is going through a difficult time who might like a soft shawl to remind them of all the people who love them, then knitting might not be for you.

I do understand not wanting to knit for 'nothing' and having stuff around taking up space. However, my knitting never seems to go unowned for long.

The best advice I can give about knitting is to take a class. I wish I had started out taking a class. I did manage to learn to knit on my own, but it would have been an easier process with a class. Plus, knitting classes are a great way to meet new friends and join a knitting group. In a knitting group you can see what other people are making, get introduced to new techniques etc.

I saw someone double knitting an argyle scarf a couple of weeks ago. I am SO going to have to learn to do that.

Thank you everyone for the kind words. To me knitting was just something I decided to try on day. I never started with beginner patterns. I jumped right in with a lace shawl.

This is an interesting scarf, not your normal rectangle shape. Hitchhicker

And you could always knit toys. Rebecca Danger has a great collection of monsters to knit. Some of her patterns are only available in books, but there are plenty that you can buy directly from Ravelry.

If you do knit monsters, I recommend using Knit Picks Barva worsted weight. It's an acrylic, but is so much different that Red Heart or other big box store acrylics. Brava is actually nice to knit with and is very soft and it works wonderfully for stuffed toys.

And if there are any Ravelry users reading this, I'm knottyknittery, you know, if you wanted to friend me. :001_smile:

It is possible to over do it on aquiring stash yarns.  I would start with an inexpensive yarn for your first project only and after that go for quality over quantity.  You might want to limit yourself to a certain number of skeins, a dollar amount, etc. if you tend to over buy.  I do have a huge stash of yarn but that is because I've decided to try to sell some of my items for profit.  I buy the yarn low with the hopes of selling the item high.  ;)  I have done "OK" but the two sales we participated in were not well attended due to weather so it remains to be seen whether I can really pay off my stash addiction or not.  :glare:   DH says it is still cheaper than therapy. 

Try a project. Make it for someone else - a scarf, a simple blanket, etc. You'll know if you enjoy it or not after making a project.

I love to knit. I have too many hobbies though.

I make projects for other people. So many people love receiving a sweater for their newborn babies. I have a pile of newborn sweaters. I will give one to anyone who just had a baby, even if I don't know them.

I taught myself to knit because I wanted longies for baby #3, and I wasn't about to pay $30 or more for something I could make myself. So for me, it has been worth it for the diaper covers alone. I have knitted some other things too -- fingerless gloves (my sister worked in food service and needed something to keep her hands warm while doing inventory, where she needed to write), a chainmail tunic for my son (which he adores), legwarmers for my daughter. . . DD and I found a cute little outfit for our baby, but it had short sleeves, so I picked out some yarn to match it, and whipped him up a sweater and hat.

It depends on what you want. It's usually more expensive to knit something than to buy the equivalent, especially for wool vs. acrylic, but it's also my hobby, and it just happens to be one that produces useful items. And it is seriously addicting!

You can find simple patterns for charity knitting -- baby blankets are a great place to start! Also, shawls. I have also knit coasters, dishcloths, and scarves. I'm trying to get my nerve up to tackle sweaters and socks.

You could join a knitters' group. Our library has a knit lit group and our parish has a knitters for peace group. Here is a link to charity knitting:

http://www.knittingforcharity.org/

Be forewarned: you might develop quite the yarn stash. DS calls it "yarn mountain."

Hee hee! Yarn mountain - I love it, although mine might be better termed Yarn Himalayas at this point.

I think joining a knitter's group would be a great way to get started knitting, oh and you MUST join Ravelry.com !!!

http://halosofhope.org/  is another organization to knit for.

It is possible to over do it on aquiring stash yarns.  I would start with an inexpensive yarn for your first project only and after that go for quality over quantity.  You might want to limit yourself to a certain number of skeins, a dollar amount, etc. if you tend to over buy.  I do have a huge stash of yarn but that is because I've decided to try to sell some of my items for profit.  I buy the yarn low with the hopes of selling the item high.  ;)  I have done "OK" but the two sales we participated in were not well attended due to weather so it remains to be seen whether I can really pay off my stash addiction or not.  :glare:   DH says it is still cheaper than therapy. 

Infidel!!

jk :)

I knit and crochet (also sew and embroider, among other things. I love handwork). I am amazed how often I find a need for a knitted or crocheted item. I only do useful projects. My stash is one small basket-a magazine rack originally, I think. It's tucked out of the way next to my chair. I have a tote bag that holds all my hooks, needles, and accessories., and my project when I bring it along.

No clutter, lots of enjoyment, plenty of practical applications. Right now I am working on play food for my 2and 4yos. I estimate I am saving approximately $70 by making instead of buying. And it's fun! 

Knitting is very relaxing, but I'm not good at anything complicated. However, my daughter and I have participated in a project in which participants knit squares and then mail them somewhere to be stitched together. The end result was blankets for orphans in Africa. And now I can't remember the name of it. But the squares had to be a specific size and made of certain fibers. We used a nice soft wool. I'm like you. I don't really want anything else, but I enjoyed knitting the squares and having them go to a good cause.

Great advice. If you choose to charity knit, you might also let people know--I would like to be able to give away some of my stash for this, though I realize not all of my yarn will fit a specific project.

I also recommend Knit Picks. It's an online site. Their yarn seems to be good quality from what I've seen, and the prices are good. I tend to like to see and handle things in person, but I order there when I can. Another friend gets nearly all of her yarn from Knit Picks, and the yarn she's had has been beautiful. They have a huge sale around Thanksgiving.

e1b55b575241e853d5f0bf8ca6e3feb0.jpg

Lots of good inspiration on Pinterest.    

I've knitted or crocheted baby afghan to give as gifts.     I make a smaller version of the unbleached cotton dishcloth, which I use on my face.   They would also make a good gift with some organic soap.   I have knitted sweaters, headbands and legwarmers.   Except for the yarn, knitting doesn't take up much room.  

Well, who cares.  If it is something you enjoy, it's not the worst thing ever. 

Although, I tried to learn how to crochet.  I took a class even.  I had all sorts of books and etc.  I never got to the point where I could do it without having to hyperfocus on it so it never became relaxing to me.  It started to just feel like a chore.

Interestingly I can crochet just fine but I also need to really focus when I do it. Knitting is easier for me and I do find it more relaxing because of that.

A friend of mine is going to teach me to Crochet because I have pregnant relations and friends all over the place- and I really really really want to make them baby blankets :)

This friend made our baby a blanket, and I just absolutely love it- it was the most special present we received.

And I want to give gifts like that :)

I think it's worth it. It's relaxing. It's creative. You don't have to have dozens of yarns and on-going projects. I don't.

There's tons of useful practical projects to be found or inspired by on the Internet.

Something I didn't see mentioned here...

Jewelry made from knitting and crocheting can be very beautiful and unique gifts. My dd12 has been making some really lovely items.

I consider myself a dedicated knitter and I don't have a stash.  Well, much of a stash. What I do have is what is left over from projects and the occasional abandoned project. I don't abandon much, but it happens. 

I am the sort of knitter who decides on the project and then buys the yarn that I need. I know other knitters who buy the yarn and then decide what project will suit.

But for all my years of knitting I think I have one small laundry basket of yarn and needles in a closet. It is mostly needles. I never seem to have what I need.....

I have a love/hate relationship with knitting.  I enjoy it, and it's relaxing, and I'm fairly good at it.  But I can't do it in long enough stretches to make anything bigger than a hat or a scarf (you know, if I want to be done with the project within a year or so) or my hands go numb.  And the things that I make are pretty and functional, but when I go into Target or wherever and see a much nicer and more elaborate scarf than what I just knitted and it's like fifteen bucks, I always think, "Geez, I could have just bought that scarf and had a heck of a lot more time to do other stuff."  And I know, buying a scarf isn't the same and I'm horrible for thinking that.

You won't know if you love it unless you give it a try though. ;)