Menu

Favorite books for 2013

ElaineJ

Now that we are reaching the end of the year, I'd love to hear some of the Hive's favorite books from 2013. (They don't have to have been published in 2013, just read by you during the course of the year.) If you could list one work of non-fiction and one work of fiction that really stood out for you, what would they be? I think my choices would be The Habit of Being by Flannery O'Connor for non-fiction and The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene for fiction. Share your reading highlights! :)

Elaine

So I went and looked at my Goodreads list for 2013 and I'm initially shocked at how little I've read this year.  Makes me sad.

But, I had three books that I absolutely loved this year:

Fiction:

Cloud Atlas

Wool Omnibus

Non-Fiction

Everyday Saints and Other Stories - it moved and encouraged me profoundly.

off to check out some of the others...

Fiction: The Queen's Gambit by Walter Tevis (female chess prodigy novel which makes chess matches super exciting), although Story of Your Life; and Others by Ted Chiang has the best written story I've read all year (the title story, although the Tower of Babel and several others were also amazing). Story is intellectual science/speculative fiction with a lot of Christian themes (not Christian fiction, questioning, turning a lot of things upside down, but I thought respectful when taken as a whole). Both highly recommended. 

Non-fiction: Probably Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodriguez. It wasn't as well-written as The Adderall Diaries, but it has so much heart. That woman is a nut, but she really cares about people and gets to know them. I felt like I got to know them too. 

I read a lot of non-fiction, so I have a lot of favorites there but my favorite one this year (possibly favorite ever!):

-- Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Favorite fiction this year:

-- Grapes of Wrath (trying to read through all the classics I've not yet read)

This is a hard one because I read a lot of books and loved most of what I read. Also, since 2013 isn't over yet I might still read my "favorite" book of the year. 

Fiction: In the Time of the Butterflies, Julia Alvarez (fictional account of a true story)

Classic Fiction: Anna Karenina

Non-fiction: Do You Believe in Magic? The Sense and Nonsense of Alternative Medicine, Dr. Paul Offit

There's an npr interview with the author...off to look for the link...

eta:http://www.npr.org/2012/11/13/162742151/antidote-prescribes-a-negative-path-to-happiness

I may have to get this one for my dh. ;)  Glad you mentioned it!

Fiction: Ruth Ozeki's A Tale for the Time Being. Loved it and recommend it to whoever will listen :)

:iagree:  I read it this year & absolutely loved it too (& I've also recommended it many, many times).

Cloud Atlas

:iagree:  I read Cloud Atlas last year & completely loved it. (Loved the movie too.) This is another book I've recommended so many times.

I've read quite a few books this year that I have loved. It is so hard to whittle it down. So, I'm posting more than one. I haven't had enough coffee this morning to be able to make such rash decisions as cutting books out of my list. ;) :laugh:  (Otoh, maybe there's something for almost everyone on there. Ha!)

Fiction:

A Case of Exploding Mangoes by Mohammed Hanif (Pakistani Air Force & assassination satire -- biting & wonderful)

The Djinn in the Nightingale's Eye by A.S. Byatt (gorgeous set of fairytales for adults)

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami (Japan's surrealist master, but I'm not sure I'd recommend this one unless you've read at least some of his other works)

The Iron Will of Shoeshine Cats by Hesh Kestin (tough-talking, fun, 60s NYC Jewish mafia book)

A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki (Booker Prize finalist; I adored the teen Nao as she navigates her teen years & tells the story of her feminist Buddhist great grandmother)

All Men are Liars by Alberto Manguel (Do we ever really know the truth?)

Altazor by Vicente Huidobro (Funky, strange, soaring surrealist poetry)

The Fan-Maker's Inquisition by Rikki Ducornet (searing historical fiction)

If on a winter's night a traveler by Italo Calvino (a masterful author creating a labyrinth of overlapping, reality-shifting stories)

Borges and the Eternal Orangutans by Luis Fernando Verissimo (fabulous & sharp Borges-style/homage mystery)

Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway (rip-roaring fun -- WWII, spies, clockwork devices, & a race to save civilization; has the best elderly, kick-a** spy you'll ever meet)

The Complete Works of Marvin K. Mooney by Christopher Higgs (for fans of experimental literature)

The Flame Throwers by Rachel Kushner (Nat'l Book Award finalist; so evocative of the 70s, motorcycle racing, the art scene in NYC, ...)

Sweet Dreams by Michael Frayn (a charming, dry wit look at utopia -- heaven, maybe?)

Bad Monkeys by Matt Ruff (mystery/thriller/sci-fi mental twister of a story)

I don't read nearly as much non-fiction, so my list is shorter for that. LOL.

Non-fiction:

The Monuments Men by Robert M. Edsel

Zero Waste Home by Bea Johnson

I didn't get a lot of reading for pleasure done this year, but one book I read that made an impression was "The Lost Life of Eva Braun." by Angela Lambert. I've always been curious as to what kind of woman she was, and when I found this book amidst the junk in the biography section of our library (I mean, really, who wants to read the bio of Chloris Leachman?) I grabbed it. And honestly, she was really a rather unremarkable person. It was an interesting read.

It's so hard to pick a favorite!  I'm going to go with Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, by Murakami, it just edges out his Kafka on the Shore :)

If I was picking favorite new release, it would be Gaiman's Ocean at the End of the Lane (but I haven't finished Goldfinch).  And favorite series would be the EarthSea Cycle,  by Le Guin. :)

I didn't read much non-fiction this year, just Kettlebell for Women. 

It's so hard to pick a favorite!  I'm going to go with Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, by Murakami, it just edges out his Kafka on the Shore  :)

If I was picking favorite new release, it would be Gaiman's Ocean at the End of the Lane (but I haven't finished Goldfinch).  And favorite series would be the EarthSea Cycle,  by Le Guin. :)

I just read The Ocean at the End of the Lane and it was wonderful. The best Gaiman I've read. 

Fiction:  The Circle by Dave Eggers -- It wasn't particularly well-written and it was certainly crass in several places, but it really made me think. Since finishing I've thought a lot about social media, online "connections", following blindly, herd mentality, narcissism, privacy, how and why people seek validation, the effects of technology's intrusion into even the most mundane areas of our lives (hello, Instagramming pictures of your Starbucks cup?). Should be required reading for opening a Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter account.  ;)

Non-fiction: Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell -- Inspired quite a few interesting conversations between DH and I.

There's no way I could pick just one of each.

Fiction

Hannah's Dream by Diane Hammond

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

Non-Fiction

Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela

Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien

I loved three memoirs this year: Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert (by Rosaria Butterfield), The Little Way of Ruthie Leming (by Rod Dreher), and Holy is the Day (by Carolyn Weber).  Holy is the Day was my favorite book of the year.

For fiction, I loved Sally S Wright's Ben Reese Mysteries. 

Fiction: I didn't read much good fiction this year, to be honest.  I read a lot of fiction, but most of it was pretty blah, so I'll have to go with Foundation, by Isaac Asimov. Not the first year I've read it, but better by far than the other stuff on my list for the year.  

Non-fiction: Another vote for Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela.