Menu

Favorite Not Well Known Read Alouds

We all know about Laura Ingalls, Narnia, the Wizard of Oz, etc.

But what have been your favorite read alouds that aren't super well known?

Here are some from our family:

Freddy The Detective by Walter Brooks

The Mad Scientists' Club by Bertrand Brinley

No Flying in the House by Betty Brock

Hard to know which books are not considered well known. But I'll try. 

The Secret World of Og by Pierre Berton

Bill Peet: An Autobiography by Bill Peet

The Enchanted Forest series by Patricia C. Wrede

Danny the Champion of the World by Roald Dahl

William Shakespeare's Star Wars by Ian Doescher

Do people who aren't me still read Albert Payson Terhune's dog stories? The anti-German sentiment of post WWI America is inappropriate for littles but he was prolific enough that we can be selective. He's free on Project Gutenburg.

I love the stories in the old Junior Collier Classics collection. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=collier+junior+classics

Stories like "When Molly was Six" "http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/When_Molly_was_six.html?id=WhYZAAAAYAAJ
Nelly's Hospital" http://readbookonline.net/readOnLine/97/

poems by Edward Lear http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/learwk.html

George MacDonlald's the Light Princess http://www.gutenberg.org/files/697/697-h/697-h.htm

I could go on and on. Great read alouds.

We had a long drive today and spent most of it listening to "The Scarecrow and his Servant" by Philip Pullman.  It's hilarious!  It is a total Don Quixote story - very funny.  

My kids won't let me stop reading Joan Aiken's Wolves series - they adore Dido Twite!  We're on Dido and Pa now.  I think I only read the first three books as a kid - some of the others didn't even exist back then, i supposes.  But we're on 7 of 12 right now . . . 

Here are a few that we love:

Ordinary Princess by Mary Margaret Kaye

The Family Under the Bridge by Natalie S. Carlson

Baby Island by Carol Ryrie Brink

Understood Betsy by Dorothy Canfield Fisher 

Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeild

The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall

Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome

The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge

Faerie Gold: Treasures From the Land of Enchantment by Hunsicker and Lindskoog

Linnets and Valerians by Elizabeth Goudge

Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott

Cinnabar, the One O'Clock Fox, by Marguerite Henry (famous for the Misty of Chincoteague books). It's a great read about a fictional fox on George Washington's property. He even hides out in Pohick Church! (Our church)

I've heard of all the ones listed--it is hard to know what is well known and what isn't!

This one was a hit in our home:

Chuck and Danielle by Peter Dickinson

From Booklist:

"Gr. 3-6. This clever episodic story set in England introduces Danielle and her dog, Chuck. A well-bred, high-strung whippet, Chuck is not just nervous but downright terrified of everything from cats to pigeons to stuffed animals to paper bags. Each chapter involves Danielle and Chuck in a different set of circumstances (foiling a purse snatcher, setting loose a herd of cows, befriending an unpromising new neighbor), and each ends with a running joke about Danielle's desire to see Chuck save the universe. Woven into the story is the recurring theme of Danielle's curiosity about her father's identity. When her dad makes a cameo appearance near the end of the book, Danielle finally discovers answers to her questions and learns why he has never been part of her life. Although the book has its thoughtful moments, the tone never stays serious for long. The staccato writing is eminently readable, the depictions of Chuck's weird worldview are perceptive, and many of the scenes are laugh-out-loud funny. Absolutely entertaining both for kids reading alone or for parents and teachers reading aloud. Carolyn Phelan"

Regards,

Kareni

I'm not sure what counts as "unknown" as I think of all these as well-known, but I'll throw out a few that we enjoyed I see mentioned less.  

* Chasing Vermeer (and the sequels)

* The Penderwicks

* The Melendy books

* The Great Brain books

* Arabel's Raven

* The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg

* Our Only May Amelia

* A Long Way From Chicago

* The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate

* Finn Family Moomintroll

* The Thirteen Clocks

* The Ghost in the Tokkaido Inn

We are up to the third of the Wolves books and I need to practice my Dido voice because we'll clearly need to get back to that before too long...  We just finished Angel on the Square, which is about the Russian Revolution.  I like the book and it was much enjoyed, but I don't just adore it.

I'm a little fuzzy on what's considered a "read aloud", but we've recently enjoyed:

Hickory - Palmer Brown

The Magic Bed-Knob & Bonfires and Broomsticks - Mary Norton

The Cat Club - Esther Averill (Ds5 is getting the next few in this series for Christmas)

The Abandoned - Paul Gallico

The Island of Horses - Eilis Dillon

The Boy on the Porch - Sharon Creech

When Zachary Beaver Came to Town - Kimberly Willis Holt

Wild Boy: The Real Life of the Savage of Aveyron - Mary Losure

The Fairy Ring: Or Elsie and Frances Fool the World - Mary Losure

Enid Blyton books.  I'm not sure how "well-known" these are in the US (they were very popular in the UK & Australia). We start with titles like "The Magic Faraway Tree" & "The Wishing Chair", and move on to "The Adventurous Four", "The Famous Five" and "The Secret Seven". My now-14 year old was slightly lazy when he was little in that he didn't want to read books for himself when his parents could do it for him. I got over that hurdle very quickly by leaving one of the The Wishing Chair stories at a very exciting cliff-hanger and telling him we'd finish tomorrow. He read the rest of the book in an hour :lol:

Enid Blyton books. I'm not sure how "well-known" these are in the US (they were very popular in the UK & Australia). We start with titles like "The Magic Faraway Tree" & "The Wishing Chair", and move on to "The Adventurous Four", "The Famous Five" and "The Secret Seven". My now-14 year old was slightly lazy when he was little in that he didn't want to read books for himself when his parents could do it for him. I got over that hurdle very quickly by leaving one of the The Wishing Chair stories at a very exciting cliff-hanger and telling him we'd finish tomorrow. He read the rest of the book in an hour :lol:

I adored reading the Famous Five when I was living overseas. They didn't have them in the USA libraries.

I'll put in another plug for the longer William Steig books: Amos and Boris, and Dominic.

Enid Blyton too, and

The Mad Scientist Club. We've also spent hours on the

Andrew Lang color Fairy books-and any fairy tale collection.

Watership Down-for the 12-13 yo in your life.

All Creatures Great and Small-again for 12-13 yo.

I'm not sure what counts as "unknown" as I think of all these as well-known, but I'll throw out a few that we enjoyed I see mentioned less.  

* Chasing Vermeer (and the sequels)

* The Penderwicks

* The Melendy books

* The Great Brain books

* Arabel's Raven

* The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg

* Our Only May Amelia

* A Long Way From Chicago

* The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate

* Finn Family Moomintroll

* The Thirteen Clocks

* The Ghost in the Tokkaido Inn

We are up to the third of the Wolves books and I need to practice my Dido voice because we'll clearly need to get back to that before too long...  We just finished Angel on the Square, which is about the Russian Revolution.  I like the book and it was much enjoyed, but I don't just adore it.

Oh, The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate is another all-time favorite here!

I think one of the reason my kids like the Wolves books so much is that I do voices - which I don't normally do - not so much Dido, although they absolutely love her slang!  But I pick one or two characters each book and "do" the voice.  I did Yorka, and I'm doing King Dick, and I totally botch all the cockney or yorkshire-ish accents, but they don't know any better and it's fun!

They still occasionally break into chants of "A Pict! A Pict! She rented a room to a Pict! And I think she ought to be kicked!"

My family loves all the Swallows and Amazons books - there are 12.  Well, a couple are not so great and there are some politically-incorrect characterizations and words in a few but overall they are the best family readalouds ever.

We also liked The Wolves of Willoughby Chase series until the last 2 or 3 books.  They got a little odd for us.

I didn't notice if anyone mentioned The Children of Green Knowe.

Others I forgot before:

Holes (Sachar)

Hurry Home, Candy (DeJong)

At the Back of the North Wind (MacDonald)

We haven't gotten to these yet, but I think they will be good:

I Rode a Horse of Milk White Jade (Wilson) - I've heard it like a more exciting Mulan-type story, with more horse focus. DD adores horses.

When the Siren Wailed (Streatfeild) - We read and loved Ballet Shoes by the same author (it was one of my favorite books as a child). She wrote lots of other books, too.

Some of our favorite "not-well-known" titles, with approximate "age of opportunity" for most enjoyability. :)

All Ages

- Letters from Father Christmas (Tolkien)

- Christmas Every Day (Howells)

- The Ordinary Princess (Kaye)

- The Book of Dragons (Nesbit) 

- The Reluctant Dragon (Grahame)

- The Magic Fishbone (Dickens)

The Light Princess (MacDonald)

The Golden Key (MacDonald)

- One Hundred and One Dalmatians (Smith)

- Edward Eager magic series (Half Magic, Magic By the Lake, etc.) -- okay, this one IS well-known ;)

Pre-K to Gr. 2-ish

- Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet; Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet (Cameron)

- The Rescuers series by Marjorie Sharp (The Rescuers, Miss Bianca, The Turret, Miss Bianca in the Salt Mines, Miss Bianca in the Orient)

- The Whipping Boy (Fleischman)

- Understood Betsy (Fisher)

Gr. 1 to Gr. 3-ish

- The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (Robinson)

- Ben and Me; Mr. Revere and I (Lawson)

- Robert Fulton, Boy Craftsman (Henry)

Gr. 2 to Gr. 5-ish

- The Great Wheel (Lawson)

- The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Aiken)

- The Secret of Platform 13 (Ibbotson)

- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Fleming)

- The Never Ending Story (Ende)

- The Twenty-One Balloons (DuBois)

- The Toothpaste Millionaire (Merrill)

- The Pushcart War (Merrill)

- In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson (Lord)

Gr. 5 or 6+

- Farmer Giles of Ham (Tolkien)

- Smith of Wooten Major (Tolkien)

- Leaf by Niggle (Tolkien)

Gr. 8/high school +

- The Day They Arrested the Book (Hentoff)

- Watership Down (Adams)

- Earthsea Trilogy: Wizard of Earthsea; The Tombs of Atuan; The Farthest Shore (Le Guin)

- Wodehouse on Crime (PG Wodehouse) -- or other by Wodehouse

- Dirk Gently: Holistic Detective Agency (Adams) -- just for fun

- CS Lewis space trilogy

Sleepers

(unexpectedly REALLY enjoyed by DSs when they were gr. 1-3 -- the last 2 books when gr. 4-5)

- The Year of Miss Agnes (Hill)

- Little Pear (Lattimore)

- White Stallions of Lippiza (Henry)

- Red Sails For Capri (Weil)

- Kildee House (Montgomery)

- Chucaro: Wild Pony of the Pampa (Kalney)

- Land I Lost (Nhuong)

- The Master Puppeteer (Paterson)

We listened to these as audiobooks (via Audible), and the narrations are terrific. All done by wonderful (British) voice actors.

Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes by Jonathan Auxier (only $3.58 for the paperback on Amazon right now!)

Young Sherlock Holmes series by Andrew Lane (there are 6 in print, 4 as audiobooks so far)

Liesl and Po by Lauren Oliver

Charlie Bone series by Jenny Nimmo

Enid Blyton books.  I'm not sure how "well-known" these are in the US (they were very popular in the UK & Australia). We start with titles like "The Magic Faraway Tree" & "The Wishing Chair", and move on to "The Adventurous Four", "The Famous Five" and "The Secret Seven". My now-14 year old was slightly lazy when he was little in that he didn't want to read books for himself when his parents could do it for him. I got over that hurdle very quickly by leaving one of the The Wishing Chair stories at a very exciting cliff-hanger and telling him we'd finish tomorrow. He read the rest of the book in an hour :lol:

Yes, good suggestion! Oh, the beautiful memories we have of dark winter evenings reading aloud Enid Blyton books! We rented a house in England for a semester while dh attended a graduate school there. Our oldest was 11 at the time, the twins were 9, and so on down to the baby. In the house, there was a bookshelf loaded with Enid Blyton books, and we read and read and read. Interestingly, the owner of the house told us that schools in England had tossed Blyton's books because they considered the gender roles too defined in them.  

I second MacDonald's Light Princess and the Little Britches series.

Currently we're loving Dangerous Journey, the story of Pilgrim's Progress.

I second MacDonald's Light Princess

For those unfamiliar with MacDonald (I absolutely love his works), this essay gives excellent insight into his writings.   As a matter of fact, after re-reading it, I think I am going to have my high school kids do an analysis of some of his writings. 

http://www.george-macdonald.com/resources/light_princess_trexler.html