Menu

Tipping at Cracker Barrel *Update post 23*

Excelsior! Academy

Oh my God, my grandma used to love the Cracker Barrel! We always went there when we were younger, before she passed away!

I know that we tipped because we were always a large band and every one would chip in a couple of dollars, so I know that we tipped cash.

Wow, I just realized that I have been only once since Grandma B.  :crying: . I miss her--I should go to the Cracker Barrel again.

Not the OP, but I am going to guess this question is specific to CB because it is one of the few restaurants these days that provides full table service but has you pay at a register on your way out.  Most table service restaurants have the server take your payment.

As for the question, yes, I try to leave cash at CB even if I am paying with a CC.  I am a good tipper and figure the wait staff does not know who left what if you add it to the credit card.  This used to be more important (not that it is really important at all; perhaps it was closer to being important) when we ate at the same CB regularly.

We very rarely pay with cash anymore, so we always just add the tip to our card when we pay.

My mother, who worked a second job as a waitress at another breakfast place for many years, never leaves a cash tip on the table. She always hands it directly to the waitress or waiter even if she has to wait around to get their attention again. And if it's a joint tip she'll collect the money and do the same thing with handing it over personally. She wants to make sure the money gets into the right pocket and after years of being on the other side of things, she just doesn't trust people. I'm sure it depends on the area, but things could be pretty sketchy where she worked. I know she also had her arthritis meds stolen out of her locker. How low do you have to be to steal arthritis meds from a middle age lady serving pancakes at 1am?!

I agree CB is unique because of the way one checks out due to having the gift store. I've personally seen customers take the tips off tables and pocket it as they walk by, and I've seen bussing staff also take the tip...whether or not they give it to the waiter/ress who served that table, I do not know. CB's in our area are notoriously busy, just huge amounts of people, and I do believe there could be a significant delay getting back to the table to check for one's tip.

It's the only place we have in terms of chain restaurant in which checking out at a register is done instead of waitstaff taking your card or money and running the till, then bringing back your receipt. In many cases when paying with credit or debit, they stick around while you sign so they know how much tip you've added to the receipt. Not always, but a good percentage of the time. They don't want to lose track of those receipts.

We have not eaten at CB in years since the location in regards to our usually shopping area is so inconvenient. However, the last time I was in it, the place was crazy busy in there. I could see maybe wondering if your tip actually made it to the right person if you left it on the table. It was far busier than any other full service restaurant I have ever been in around this area.

I am the OP.  It is just for the Cracker Barrel.  The reason I am asking is because of the unique way they are set up.  Other restaurants sometimes have you pay at the register, but Cracker Barrel has you leave the eating area, enter the gift shop, then pay.  Two different times I have left cash tips on the table.  The first time I went back to get something off of the table we left and I *think* I saw the bus boy get the $.  I wasn't not sure due to specific circumstances, so I did not confront him.  (I would have no qualms if I did see someone swipe it though!)   This time I intended to pay with cash and had forgotten their payment policy.  I put the tip on the table.  When the waitress came by she reminded me I had to pay at the register.  We went to pay, but had to pay with a credit card.  I marked out the tip area and commented on leaving cash at the table.  The register people looked at me strangely, as if that was uncommon or as if I was not leaving a tip. 

When I was a waitress in college the bus boys often grabbed the tips for us. They gave us the money in the back. To my knowledge, they never stole my money mostly because as a server I knew how much the table's ticket was and about how much to expect in a tip. They knew better than to try to cross the servers when it came to the tips. We could get a little unhinged if we thought someone was taking our tip money.

I wouldn't worry about the busboy.  Even way back in the day when I worked tables, tips were frequently split amongst all waitstaff which includes the host, waiters and busboys. There is usually a percentage to each with the largest share going to the waiter on your table.

If I do leave cash (at any restaurant) but pay with a card, I do write "cash" in the tip area.  I dunno why, I just feel better doing that.  But I rarely leave cash tips - I just don't carry cash!

What a good idea! Thanks for mentioning it. Dh and I will occasionally have breakfast at IHOP and our bill comes to about $11. I just leave a cash tip because it's just a couple dollars. I pay with my debit card at the register and I always feel it looks like I'm stiffing the waitstaff on the tip when I just draw a line through the tip area.  I draw the line because that prevents someone from adding in a tip after I'm gone- it happened once (not at IHOP). I'll start writing 'cash' instead. 

I worked as a server at Cracker Barrel.  The staff does not split the tips; everything you leave is supposed to go to your main server.  If you leave it on your credit card, it is added to all the other credit card tips for that server and given to him/her at the end of his/her shift.  I never had a busperson bring me a tip; if he or she bused the table before I got back to it, the money was always left neatly on the cleaned table.

Of course, things may have changed in the years since then.

If I do leave cash (at any restaurant) but pay with a card, I do write "cash" in the tip area.  I dunno why, I just feel better doing that.  But I rarely leave cash tips - I just don't carry cash!

I really like this idea!

Just an FYI, it is good to pay for restaurant meals with cash to save the restaurant the credit card processing fee. DH used to work in the payment industry and it is a NASTY industry. You really do not want to support it, lol. As a matter of fact, the CEO of Heartland Payment systems is deliberately not reimbursing us for DH's last business trip to NY, just to be a jerk on a power trip. He knows DH took the trip on his boss's request, but they are deliberately stealing from my family just because they can. That is the tiny tip of the iceberg with these people. There is my liberal rant for the day, lol.