Menu

If you weren't a parent, what...

I would be an archaeology prof digging in the dirt in the summer and looking at bones. At least that was the grand plan in my late 20s and early 30s before service in Gulf War I interrupted life and helped me hear my ticking bio clock :D Never regretted hearing that clock and have gotten more out of hsing than I ever did doing anything else. I'm near 50 now and still have 4 more years of hsing and I do not think I will try and finish up that old dream. I'll find something new and easier on the knees ;)

I have a bs in education and taught for 4 years. But I'm not sure I'd still be teaching. I know I'd be sad, cuz I always wanted to have kids!

Hmmmm, not sure....welllll, I always wanted to take ASL and interpret for people. I always wanted to learn another language. So maybe I'd be an interpretor?

I think I would be someone promoting new urbanism (living locally, pushing for multi use zoning, creating great neighborhoods, designing walkable living places, etc.). DH and I love living "in town" and love having a strong, vibrant city that we live in. We thought we'd build in the country but have changed our minds.

Or I would be doing Uppercase Living like I am now, only full time instead of part time, because I really love this business that I've gotten into! I've had the opportunity many times to do direct marketing (home party type businesses) but *nothing* has ever said YES to me like UL.

Teaching definitely! Now the question is what!! I would want to teach high school math in a small, Christian school...or...math for GED programs. I think I would really enjoy helping adults finally "get math". I have a BS in math, but no teaching credentials. I would not want to do the TAPP program here in GA. It is for degreed professionals coming into the teaching field. You have to teach full time and attend classes practically full time. It's very draining from what my dh has observed. He teaches public high school, so I'd be inclined to want a school with the same schedule as him.

I'd probably still be a cop and firefighter. I had to pick dh up from the montly fire meeting last week. The chief asked me if I wanted an application. I was torn, but after 24 hours decided that we made the best decision years ago to keep one parent out of the line of fire. At any time dh could go to work or go answer a fire call and not come home. So it is for the best that I have the "safe" job of being a SAHM.

I would be either a university professor, teaching an obscure subject like Old or Middle High German (with the study of ancient manuscripts); or, I would love to be the Latin and English teacher at a classical Christian school.

Michelle, sometimes I think you really must be my long lost sister! :D

I decided not to pursue a career in academia (teaching...Middle High German) because I looked around me and saw that the successful profs were single - often divorced - or spent almost no time with their families. I wanted my family, not my work, to be the center of my life. I also had no stomach for university politics. If I hadn't wanted a family, though, I probably would have stuck it out and have tenure by now.

In a month I'll be teaching Latin, Greek, and literature three days a week at a classical school. :)

and may have gone back for my doctorate in English.

Or maybe I would have gone into educational administration.

Or maybe I would have opened my own bookstore that would almost certainly have closed given the competition from the big guys.

Something in education or books, that's all I know.

Michelle, sometimes I think you really must be my long lost sister! :D

I decided not to pursue a career in academia (teaching...Middle High German) because I looked around me and saw that the successful profs were single - often divorced - or spent almost no time with their families. I wanted my family, not my work, to be the center of my life. I also had no stomach for university politics. If I hadn't wanted a family, though, I probably would have stuck it out and have tenure by now.

In a month I'll be teaching Latin, Greek, and literature three days a week at a classical school. :)

I thought the same things about universities. Although I love to learn, I'm not sure I could handle the university politics or the pressure that I sensed where I went to school to conform to a certain line of thinking.

Still, it's nice to dream! Here's what one fellow student I knew is doing now. And, I love the old manuscript to the left! I could spend hours studying the signatures on that page. Notice the Christian cross, the many signatures which look to be in German, accompanied by "Ego" before the name. Perhaps early German converts to Christianity?

At any rate, I'm content doing what I'm doing now, which will soon include going back to school!

I have a degree in Geology and always wanted to be a scientist in Antartica. at least until I saw a special on being a scientist there. Each person is only allowed 2 showers per week and each can only be 90 SECONDS. My dd said "Why don't they just melt some snow to shower with?"

My second goal was to be a lighthouse keeper! Well, at least we do live on an island.

I have a degree in Geology and always wanted to be a scientist in Antartica. at least until I saw a special on being a scientist there. Each person is only allowed 2 showers per week and each can only be 90 SECONDS. My dd said "Why don't they just melt some snow to shower with?"

My second goal was to be a lighthouse keeper! Well, at least we do live on an island.

Oh, a friend of mine who homeschools is an atmospheric physicist and she spent a winter, pre kids, in Antarctica, and more in Alaska. In fact right now she has taken off with her hubbie and two kids and is spending 3 months in Alaska.

She wrote a book called Frost Bytes, with another woman, about her experience: (my friend is Gina, the one on the left)

http://coolcontinent.com.au/frostbytes/SINGLE/about.html

I would be an entirely different person than I am now.

I wonder if this isn't true for myself, as well.

If eldest hadn't precipitated his father's going conservative and mad, I might still be with him, working part-time as his booking agent (he's a Celtic harpist and composer of Pythagorean music). Either way, I'd still be working full time as a tutor, and living in the Rocky Mountains or Dakotas somewhere.

I said when I was in school I either wanted to be a doctor or a mom.

God definately gave me what I wanted.

When the kids are grown, if I end up going back to work I'll probably go for nursing. I had just been accepted when we found out I was pregnant with dd1. Decided I would rather just be a mom and DH worked hard to make sure it was and is a reality. What a man he is!

I originally wanted to be a recording engineer/record producer.

OTOH, I started out in PR. Which I hated. I moved to publishing, which was better. I probably would have stayed in that field if we had never gotten pregnant. I might have eventually moved into teaching. I might have started a band ;-) I got rid of my guitars and keyboard after the 3rd child was born.

I had a lot of dreams as a teen, and then early on in college. By the end of college those dreams were being eclipsed by reality, and the desire to get married and raise a family.

Who knows? I do think that I would have ended up remarkably self-centered if I hadn't had children. This is not to say that all people without children are self-centered, but I certainly would have been.

I am a CPA, so I would be working 60+ hours a week for some corporation whose sole purpose, dispite their jolly mission statement, is to make money for their shareholders. I would spend way too many lunch breaks with co-workers who discuss nothing but sports, sports and more sports. I would take business trips where I would try to cram my extremely tall body into a too small airplane seat. And every month, at month end, I would have the joy of staying up until the wee hours of the night to close out the monthly financial statements and write variance reports which nobody reads.

Even in my worst stay-at-home mom moments, homemaking and homeschooling my kids is a cake walk compared to my working days. Can you tell I don't miss my "career" at all?

Even in my worst stay-at-home mom moments, homemaking and homeschooling my kids is a cake walk compared to my working days. Can you tell I don't miss my "career" at all?

I argue this point with myself often.

On the one hand, I really miss getting those reports back from teachers, "Wow! What are you doing? He's like a different kid!" I miss lunch breaks, going home at night and feeling justified in doing nothing, the camraderie in the office. Very often I miss the various long term securities that a decent hourly wage grants a person, you know, the stuff we talk about using capital letters: IRA, 401K, SSI. I miss knowing exactly what to do with a kid. Is it nostalgia, or was it actually easier to handle other people's kids than my own?

On the other hand, those kids were crazy. I taught learning strategies to LD kids. ODD was big when I was working, and I decided it shouldn't be considered a learning disability. It's more of a social disability. There were many sessions, maybe even most, that I walked away feeling all I'd done was keep a lunatic from injuring himself or anyone else for an hour. I remember being frustrated that I didn't have the ability to change those things which would really make a difference for my students: giving them more sleep, less preservatives, less television, more opportunities to climb trees.

So I go round and round. Raising my kids is better, of course, but which is harder? I don't know.

I would be a veterinarian. I had the choice of going to vet school or getting married and moving to a state with no vet school. I chose, of course, the love of my life. Then came the kids, and homeschooling...

We have plenty animals right here at home, and very cool vets who totally don't mind letting me do most of the tech work with my own critters. Hee hee hee. I did work as a vet tech in another life, so I'm familiar with what I'm doing. I get to do almost all of the routine vaccinations and nursing care. (When needed- nursing them back to health is never very fun because it means one of my own is sick.) I also do all my own farrier work... it's physically demanding, but I think it's neat!! I love learning about hoof structure and all the internal workings, the latest theories... of course one of my horses HAS to be insulin resistant which makes him prone to laminitis... which keeps me on my toes.

My horse vet reminded me that I would hardly ever get to spend time with my own horses and family if I was practicing... so I think I'm pretty darn lucky as things are. :001_smile:

Still... there is a vet school just 2 hours from where we live now... as the kids get older, school for myself gets more and more tempting.

I can't imagine not being a parent. Even if I hadn't gotten married, I'd most likely have adopted, either internationally or a special needs child.

Career-wise, though, if I didn't have kids, I'd probably just be doing more of what I do now. I'd write more books a year and travel a lot more to do research.

Realistically, I would be a teacher. Elementary Education. Fantasy, I would be working in Forensics of some sort. With no kids, I would be pursueing a degree in Criminology at our local college, and (REAL fantasy now!) do an internship at the Body Farm and study at Quantico. I would love to do Profiling. I know it's not super glamorous, but psychology and the criminal mind fascinate me. Why do people turn evil? Why are they killing brown eyed, brown haired girls? What kind of person would do THIS particular crime? Notice that the crimes occur at the same time. It's a full moon, or it's the Ides of March. Whatever...it's like a puzzle to me. And I *LOVE* puzzles.