Menu

What is your MOST loved curriculum?

Ariston

This is sort of a spin-off, but I was wondering what have been the 2 or 3 curricula that you just wouldn't even want to homeschool without? We all have things we like and love, but what are the few things you've found that have just been essential for you?

I've only been doing this 3 years, but so far for me:

MEP-after trying some other programs, ive come to the conclusion that I wouldn't even want to teach math without it!

Visual Link Spanish- after years of buying books and discarding them, and just winging it, we finally have something that is painless and WORKS! I used to put so much energy into Spanish and now i feel like a huge burden is lifted from me....VL is his main learning, and anything I do is just supplementing, so I feel a lot less pressure. I would have never thought a computer program could be so effective for learning a FL.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Writing With Ease

Writing With Skill

Math Mammoth

Phonics Pathways

Story of the World

Analytical Grammar

Learning how to implement IEW on my own and integrate it into our other writing

Khan Academy

Math U See Epsilon and Zeta

You said 2 or 3 so I'll stop :)

Writing With Ease

Writing With Skill

Math Mammoth

Phonics Pathways

Story of the World

Analytical Grammar

Learning how to implement IEW on my own and integrate it into our other writing

Khan Academy

Math U See Epsilon and Zeta

You said 2 or 3 so I'll stop :)

Wow, you have struck gold that many times?!! :)

Wow, you have struck gold that many times?!! :)

Well, this is over the course of many, many years. I get sick to my stomach when I think of all the programs that have been complete flops. These programs are plain and simple, no bells and whistles, straight forward and to the point. :)

ORIGINAL Doubleday hardback What Your _ Grader Needs to Know series grades 1-6. The covers are sponge painted and there are no children on them. There are not pre-school or kindergarten books in the original series.

How to Tutor and/or Alpha-Phonics but I use the HANDWRITING instructions in Writing Road to Reading 6th edition

Draw Write Now (especially the map drawing)

Writer's Express is new to me, but I really have high hopes for it.

I've been using Arithmetic Made Simple since the mid 1990s.

SCM's free curriculum guide--I printed it all out, just in case it's ever taken down. :lol: We use this as the basis of our curriculum.

SCM history guides--It's the only lit-based history that hasn't overwhelmed us with books and activities.

McGuffey readers--great for copywork, dictation, reading aloud, vocabulary, phonics, grammar, writing, etc...and they go through high school!

MUS--as soon as I opened the books, I knew this would be a hit. I just love how well organized it is...and I hardly have to teach math. :blush:

100EZ lessons/R&S Phonics 1 & 2 combo - thorough, fits all learning styles, and the student comes out the other end a great reader.

MUS for my middle child. She has made me promise multiple times to never switch her to another math curriculum; she wants Mr. Demme to teach her all the way through high school.

R&S Math (grades 4+) - for non-struggling learners it is hands-down the best curriculum I have ever seen for those levels (I say levels and not grades because I have used it ahead of grade level). Top notch word problem instruction, incremental teaching of all concepts in very clear language, good review in the TM and in each lesson, excellent mental math practice, and all of that in way smaller lessons than other (*cough* Saxon *cough*) math curriculums I have seen.

R&S English - can be done mostly orally, and it is extremely thorough.

Math in Focus (saved this American brained mom to be able to teach Asian math!)

All Through the Ages (not an actual curriculum, but an amazing book list reference that I use every year)

Reading Made Easy (no matter what else I try I always wind up back at this book to teach reading)

Story of the World. I will have fond memories of our years reading and crafting together for the rest of my life.

Rod and Staff for Math. I personally love a lot about some of their other subjects as well, but it doesn't suit everyone. But the math, I can make work for anyone.

Well Trained Mind as a guide for science and history in general. And basically for everything. I use it to plan everything.

Latina Christiana. I use MP for latin from PL on, but so far LCI was my favorite year! I am looking forward to doing it again next year w/my dd8.

SOTW # 1, 2, and 3 (Number 4 is in the mail)

Mr. Q Science (Daddy made audio recordings of the book and they listen)

Handwriting without tears 1, 2, and 3 (Okay, it's tolerated, but I can't think of a handwriting curriculum my boys would like. They were excited about them at first now it's just a thing they do to get it out of the way. But it's quick and effictive, and with the exception of one time never caused tears)

Spelling Power (tolerated, but get the job done. Eldest doesn't like it, but doesn't usually like anything involving pencil to paper unless it is making board game pieces or cards of his own design)

We liked Pi-animals when my boys were younger. Now they are on different books with a teacher that is a good fit in all ways.

Beast academy 3A was a hit. 3B a flop. now onto 3C.

For extra's on the side my boys liked the tv series: Horrible Histories, and Terry Jones Medieval Lives (Not the Damsels episode), The movies: David Attenborough documentaries, The Story of One, and Flatland

Singapore Primary Math US edition

Singapore Essentials K

Phonics Pathways

HWT K

R&S Spelling and Grammar

Draw Write Now

Heart of Dakota(I have used Little Hands-Preparing and I own CTC.)

ETC

Getting Started with Spanish

Drawn Into the Heart of Reading and HOD Emergent Readers

Apologia Exploring creation elementary series

and many other excellent living books i.e. D'Aulaire, Opal Wheeler, etc.

This is sort of a spin-off, but I was wondering what have been the 2 or 3 curricula that you just wouldn't even want to homeschool without? We all have things we like and love, but what are the few things you've found that have just been essential for you?

Woops I missed that you said 2-3. :lol:

Can I purposefully miss that you said 2-3? Hehe! I am a unit study gal. The 3Rs never win top favorite unless they are part of the study. So here is my list:

Early elem:

Five in a Row

Beyond Five in a Row

Mid elem:

A World of Adventure

Prairie Primer

Further Up Further In

Upper elem:

History Revealed

High:

Where the Brook and River Meet

History Revealed

Notgrass

So as you can see I like units which give me a good spring board and then I make it my own from there. Not all of these operate that way, but that is what I prefer.

Since this is the K8 board, I will stick to only 3 elementary level items. The only 2 things I have ever used with multiple children are

Sing, Spell, Read, Write

Horizons math

The 3rd is Hands On Equations. I have only used it with 1 student, but I will use it with my youngest 2 when they are old enough.

Math Mammoth

Memoria Press' Latin series (Prima Latina, Latina Christiana and the Form series)

OPGTR

WWE/WWS *because of the lovely workbooks which save me sooooo much time*. ( I like the method as well, obviously, but oh! the time I would have spent choosing passages, copywork, and dictation!)

Can I just applaud the mom that listed "the internet" as her top choice? I could have never homeschooled without the internet. We are so blessed to have the forums, Pinterest, thousands of blogs, millions of websites devoted to homeschooling. How did the homeschool pioneers do it? :laugh: :hurray: