Menu

Disney World, What is the Appeal?

Don't shoot!!!

We do watch disney movies and a disney show or two on netflix but I just cannot figue out why everyone talks about Disney World as THE place to take young children. What is the value? I do not get spending several weeks (or in my case 2 months) pay in just a few days. I hear families talking about how they open a credit card account just to put the trip on (airfare, hotel, food park admission and suvineers) and that it will take years for them to pay off. They all say how happy their child was and how it was their dream come true. I want my son to be as happy as the next mom but he is happy with everything he does.

What is so special about Disney World?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um? Do you think you may be overthinking this?

It is a series of theme parks that provide information, fun, thrills, and "adventure". There are enough parks to keep a family doing something new and different for a week or more.

If children are young enough to be "into" the movies and characters, those add to the elements. If kids are older, it is more of an amusement park.

I admit I'm biased; I lived in Orlando and at one point had a season pass (I was single, no kids). I would go to Epcot, eat at the Norway buffet (My mom was first generation) and I'd people watch.

It may not be your thing, but I'm baffled at the question - it seems obvious to me why families would plan to vacation at Disney.

Until I went for the first time, after dh begged to take the family, I didn't get it either. There is just something magical about the place. We went for the first time in 2001, and will have been six times come this June. But I wouldn't go into debt for it....

I think it is ridiculous to be in debt for a vacation. If funds and time allow, Disney is an awesome place though. I've been to other amusment parks but Disney impressed me with customer service, cleanliness, and wide age range appeal.

Well, I wouldn't spend two months salary to go.

We love it though. It's clean. The employees ("Cast Members") consistently provide excellent customer service. It's self-contained. Kid friendly, even the nice restaurants. It just works for us. It's not everyone's thing and that's fine. I'd rather run down my street stark naked than go camping, but some people enjoy that and think the same thing about Disney. It's all good. :)

I'm not shooting! I LOVE Disney, but I know it's not for everyone (thank God it's not - it would be way too busy! :)).

For us? We went our first time because my ds had some life-threatening food allergies. We hadn't been able to find a single restaurant around here that could accommodate his needs. So, we never went out. Never went anywhere - except to visit family. I heard on an allergy board that Disney is wonderful for those with food allergies. We planned a trip. I had never been, and dh was just ready for a vacation - anywhere. Well, turns out it was AMAZING!!! We really didn't have to worry about food at all. Disney was wonderful for that.

Now, we keep going back because of the magic. I don't know quite how else to explain it. We've tried other vacations and the magic just isn't there. It's that my three older boys act like little boys when we're there. They LOVE posing for pictures with the characters and getting "goofy" with them. Ds12 wears HUGE Goofy ears when we go. My older boys fight over who gets to sit next to their little sister on the rides to see how she reacts. We're all happy. Most of the time.

There's the customer service. One trip, my then 9 yo left his trading pins in a ride. He was sobbing because when we went back they weren't there. We went to file a report and the woman who took it asked him who his favorite character was. Ds said, "Stitch." She came back in with a new trading pin set with Stitch pins on it for him. This was a $50 set!!!! I cried. she just GAVE it to him. One day when we were there, I was with my two youngest. I was explaining to my daughter how we weren't going to wait in the two hour line to meet Rapunzel that day. A Cast Member overheard and asked my dd what else she wanted to do at WDW that day. What was her favorite thing? My dd replied, "Dumbo!" So, she took us over and got us on the next ride!!! It's little things like that that make Disney, well, Disney.

I just asked my teens why they like it so much. One said, "Because I can wear my Goofy hat and fit in!" The others said, "Because there is something for everyone!" It's true. They know how to appeal to ALL ages. We do have to split up sometimes, but mostly, we are able to stay together and have an amazing time.

It may not be your thing, but I'm baffled at the question - it seems obvious to me why families would plan to vacation at Disney.

I think the thought comes from something like this: I know a family where the mom is often talking about not being able to buy something because "its' not in the budget" (this is from a FB swap forum, so it's in context). She's has started a couple of small businesses to try and bring in more money for her family (neither has gone anywhere). They're a single-income household on a mediocre income. And yet they take their family on an annual trip to Disneyland with a bit of hype and excitement expressed ahead of time (FB again, so comments are within context). If we were short on money all the time, an annual trip to Disneyland certainly wouldn't be on our radar. But something about the place draws them and compels them to make it a part of their budget. Similarly, they take their kids to a woo-woo themed restaurant two hours from where we live on all their birthdays. I think the OP is just wondering out loud about something like this.

I have no desire to take our kids to Disneyland or Disney World. {Shrug} I'd rather go on a train trip or spend a week at the beach.

ETA - I honestly have no opinion about whether or not the family should spend their money this way; just trying to describe where the wondering might come from.

I think it is ridiculous to be in debt for a vacation. If funds and time allow, Disney is an awesome place though. I've been to other amusment parks but Disney impressed me with customer service, cleanliness, and wide age range appeal.

And it so much more than an amusement park! It's just magical :tongue_smilie:

It's not everyone's thing and that's fine. I'd rather run down my street stark naked than go camping, but some people enjoy that and think the same thing about Disney.

Same here.... camping, NO WAY!!!! Glad the boy and dh got to do that with scouts.

I haven't been to Disney World, but I have been to Disneyland over 30 times in the last 38 years. :D

The whole experience is magical. It isn't only about the rides; it's the music, the landscaping, the storylines that are the basis for the rides, and then the rides make the stories come to life.

Of course, back in the day, we could go to Disneyland for, oh, $20 a person. In fact, when I took older dd to Disneyland for her fifth bday, we only paid $5 or $6 per person. We happily drove 110 miles to spend the day there. I don't know that we'd be doing it now. :-(

As a parent, the idea of Disney World is not super thrilling in and of itself. But when we took our kids there, I was just touched by how excited they were by every little thing. Seeing "real-life" princesses and being greeted as a princess were especially memorable for our girl who was 4 at the time. You can't take away those memories and I'm glad we made them when we did.

As it turns out, there are amazing entertainment opportunities for adults. By entertainment I mostly mean food. Yum.

We don't plan to go every year, maybe every five years. Most other years we do a cheapo roadtrip as our vacation. So for us, we know the long-term plan is to go back and re-experience it as an older group of people, and that helps us stay content with our non-vacations the other years.

There are other kinds of vacations out there, of course. As others have pointed out, camping is one option. Unfortunately, I don't do camping (and if I did, it would probably be almost as expensive as Disney, given all the gear I'd need to be comfortable). I know Disney is a vacation that will make everyone in the family happy. I could stay in comfortable lodging, the kids are engaged and excited and exhausted at the end of the day, and I can relax because we're all safe and happy.

As the kids get older I think we'd be happy to look into alternative vacations but for now, this suits us just fine.

It is like stepping into a storybook.

The employees are all in character and wear costumes. The restaurants all have a theme. The music is geared towards whatever theme park you are in. It is the closest thing to being in a Disney movie you will find. They have extensive landscaping and buildings so yo really feel like you are in the Wild West, or the Swiss Alps, or New Orleans.

It really is amazing to be able to go through Main Street USA and feel like you are back at the turn of the 20th Century, and then go to Tomorrowland and ride on Space Mountain. Then you can go to Adventure Land and feel like you are on an African Safari, then go over to Liberty Square and feel like you are in 18th century Boston, and they are all within walking distance.

We love Disney. James Bond and I went to WDW for our honeymoon and our 6th anniversary, and Disneyland Paris just for a vacation to have fun. You can be silly and have loads of fun. JB is convinced they pipe some sort of happy gas into the Magic Kingdom, because the minute we go through the gate we start smiling. Indy has been to WDW 5 times, DLP 2 times and on a Disney Cruise. He feels the magic every time. He gets so excited and really, really appreciative. He thanks us a million times for taking him. We're going to DLP when James Bond gets back from this deployment. Disney is our happy place. There's something there for all of us and we are totally unplugged from electronics (except of course for the rides themselves). The only time I ever used my iPhone in WDW was to check the ride wait times on my Disney App.

To me, there really is just something "magic" about it, as silly as that sounds. We play, we eat, we swim and have an all around good time. I'm not a beach person (to pale!) and we're not campers (if it's less than 3 stars it's camping to me), but we like rides and parades and good food, all of which we can find at Disney and the Cast Members make everything extra special.

We have never gone into debt for a vacation and I wouldn't. It doesn't surprise me that some people budget it in. If it's important to go, that's a smart move. You can do Disney cheaply, even if you stay on property. It is cheaper to stay off property, but we stay on, because that's our preference. We went for 10 days for Indy's 5th birthday and stayed at one of their Value resorts (though I won't do that again, not because it was bad, but because most high school, college and tour groups use those hotels and it can be loud), had the deluxe meal plan and park tickets and paid $2400 without using any military discounts (of course that was 5 years ago). We went last year for 4 days while we were in the States and for the room at a Moderate resort and meal plan, it cost $700 for the 3 of us (Han Solo stayed with my mom). We did buy the discounted military tickets, so the whole 4 days, including food, came to around $900.

ETA: I forgot about the shows! We love plays and musicals and whatnot and most of those Disney puts on are fantastic. If you have older kids (or are smart and get your parents to go while you're there to watch the littles), you can go out to Pleasure Island and go dancing, hang out in a bar (not my scene, but some people like it), go to a comedy club or do our personal favorite, which was the mystery club, where they put on a murder mystery that involves the audience.

Disney does so much to make it a place that EVERYONE can go. We make Disney a part of our vacation planning because my special daughter can be a "normal" child at Disney. She can eat good safe food there, she can enjoy fast rides but can also enjoy down time. It's the one place were I feel like they have already planned out for my all the contingency plans needed to make it a true family vacation as opposed to the kids having fun and me trying to negate all the possible problems that said special child may have occur.

the fireworks every night. I even love the bus ride back at night from Animal Kingdom and twisting and turning in my bus seat to see the various fireworks from all the parks

Cinderella's Castle lit up at Christmas

the wonderful cast members

the Grand Floridian

everything about all the parks. It is the only vacation we do and we go almost every year.

Dh and I even went way before children and when I was just out of college, I lived in Los Angeles and went to Disneyland several time a year. Never get tired of the mouse

We go to Disney World now that we live in NJ and have often run into people there that we know here in NJ

ha, I even love the Magical Express from the airport. I am practically jumping up and down in my seat as we go into the various resorts

Well, I can't even speak about this because we're so Disney obsessed I'd be too biased.

I WILL speak to the fact that my brother (almost 60), his wife (same age), and their 4 adult children + SIL (22yo twin boys, 29yo son, 31yo dd and her 32yo husband) just returned from a trip. The twins had never been. They were like CHILDREN the entire trip; all of them. They had an absolute BLAST! Their sil made a wonderful highlight dvd of their trip and it was quite obvious they had a fantastic time.

Disney magic is real. Period. ;-p

Another Disney lover. My take on it, however, is once is enough. Maybe twice. We went when my kids were 10 & 7. I felt since this was a once in a lifetime trip those would be good ages. They would remember the trip and they weren't old enough to be cynical. We knew we were eventually going to make the trip so we saved a little here and there over the years so we would have the funds for it. I certainly would not go into debt over it.

If you go during the week of the NJ teachers convention I believe about 1/2 the state of NJ is there.

I don't see how anyone can think once is enough. We are always planning our next trip on our way home! ;-p

My kids all love it, and now they are bringing their own kids. I don't think we will ever tire of Disney. I always say I want to go other places and see lots of other things, but I just can't make myself give up a Disney trip to do it!

Kewb, you got that right lots of people from NJ go to Disney World. We often run into people we know. The son of our friend works at Epcot and one time when we went (he did not know that we were going to be there), we went into his line for the ride he was working and my son started yelling friend's son's name and the look on his face was priceless. He ran over to hug all of us and the entire line of people thought it was great.

p.s. he also gave us fast prices for some other rides

I don't see how anyone can think once is enough. We are always planning our next trip on our way home! ;-p

My kids all love it, and now they are bringing their own kids. I don't think we will ever tire of Disney. I always say I want to go other places and see lots of other things, but I just can't make myself give up a Disney trip to do it!

:) We are too!! We did take a non-Disney vacation this past January. The deal we found was WAY too good to pass up. Well, let's just say we'll be back at Disney! We all had a pretty good time, but all those Disney touches were missing. We are currently planning our August/Sept trip!

It's magic. Pure and simple. We have so much fun there! It's NOT just another amusement park. It's an experience...and the people who work there do their best to make it that way. We have had so much pixie dust sprinkled on us when we've been there, it's unreal.

We love the rides.

We love the shows.

We love the resort hotels.

We love the food.

We love the immersive experience that is Disney.

I don't say "no" there. It's a place where the real world doesn't exist, and you can live a fantasy for a week or two. Yes, we usually go for 12-14 days each year. Yes, it's expensive. No, I don't go into debt for it. Yes, it's worth every stinking penny. We love Disney!!

I've been to Disney World probably 6 or 7 times in my life. I think it's fun and magical. I also think it can be crowded, expensive, hot, commercialized, and make me feel like cattle. I've only stayed on site once, and I would not do that again honestly. My kids loved it, but they love almost every vacation we've been on like DC, national parks, AZ, CA, NM, etc. I'm glad my kids have both been there at an age they can remember. We have relatives there, so we'll probably go again, but it's not a go to vacation for us by any stretch.

I have relatives who flies there 3-4X a year on each and every vacation. I can't say her kids that are now either adults or high school have traveled anywhere else. I have another relative that works at Disney World and practically lives there. For them, they see comfort in the predictable. They aren't particularly adventurous travelers or eaters and they like all in one vacations and predictability. I see how that works well for them. One of these relatives could afford to take their kids anywhere, but this is pretty much where they go (they do occasionally go to Disney in CA when they're feeling crazy).

My parents took me to Disney twice. Once when I was five, then again when I was eight. The first time I cried the whole time. The second time I was a bit older, so I put on my big girl panties and tried to like it. I think I made it halfway through the day before I told my parents NEVER to take me back again. And I meant it. I've never been back. I have a good friend in FL who has offered to take my kids; when they're a bit older, if they want to go, fine. She can take them.

It has nothing to do with money for me. Honestly, you couldn't pay me to go. I find the whole thing sickeningly fake and boring, and incredibly over-commercialized. But that's just me. I won't judge those who enjoy it; obviously they're having fun, and that's what counts.

I entirely understand your skepticism. I was that person. I couldn't fathom spending hundreds of dollars to go to an amusement park. However, we went last year and it is amazing. I say that even though we were with MIL and FIL which was very stressful for me - I'd take my kids back in a heartbeat. I still love beach vacations, mountain trips (no camping) but there really was something magical about Disney.

We haven't done WDW yet (though I fully plan to take the kids in a few years when our youngest is old enough), but we went to Disneyland a year ago and I can't wait to go back.

We went with several members of our extended family and it was so much fun. We all took turns going on rides or watching kids/taking them on kiddie rides while some of the adults/older kids went on the bigger rides. In fact they do a great job of putting a combination of rides in each area so you can do just that. We took full advantage of the fast passes and ride swaps.

Some of our group was pretty tight on money, so we packed a picnic lunch every day and brought it in. There was plenty of seating and shade everywhere, so we were easily able to sit and eat.

The tickets are expensive, but you don't have to pay for much to do 'extra' things like shows. The cast members are great. It's freakishly clean and well-maintained. Disney even has a dress code, so you don't see people walking around in offensive tshirts, etc.

I personally wouldn't go into debt for a Disney vacation, but its definitely something worth saving and splurging on a bit. The next time we go, we will likely pay the extra money to stay on site. And we definitely will if we go to WDW.

It's not everyone's thing and that's fine. I'd rather run down my street stark naked than go camping, but some people enjoy that and think the same thing about Disney.

Same here.... camping, NO WAY!!!! Glad the boy and dh got to do that with scouts.

Nope, not my thing. I loved Disneyland before we had kids but after I felt it was overpriced, overcrowded, and full of junk food and overstimulation. I'd much rather take my dc to the beach, forest, mountains, or even the pool. I'm also not into Disney characters or movies.

And the food prices are absurd- $38 for a hot dog and juice box? We love treating our family to a nice dinner out, but there are much higher quality places to go.

Now Legoland is a very different experience- I love that place.

Don't shoot me either because I am not a huge Disney World fan either.

I went twice as a kid and liked it but it was never my favorite trip ever and I was never dying to go back.

I was very excited to take my kids as they had heard so much about it from their friends who had been and just seeing/hearing about it.

They liked our hotel so much that they never wanted to leave the pool and go to the park. They would go in the pool from morning till after lunch and then I had to drag them away to the park. Then back to the pool.

My kids would rather do Europe/Asia or travel the US then go back to Disney.

I don't know people who go into debt to go. We have been twice now and saved up for months to go each time. Sure, we spent more on that vacation but we did more than just sit on a beach or pool.

First, we all love theme parks and the rides. It's a fun filled day with lots going on. We love going back to the room and sitting by the pool at night to relax. We enjoy doing something different every day. We enjoy new experiences. Loads of reasons why it's fun.

We have done the relaxing vacations where we spent much less. And they are just as memorable but in a different way. It's the time together that we remember.

And it's truly one of those places we can all have fun in some way. Some vacations tend to be geared to the kids or more to us adults, but we all enjoy Disney.

I've never been to Disneyland, but I've been to WDW twice as a child. I have no idea what the appeal is. My kids know if they want to go to Disneyanything they will have to take their own kids. I would rather be just about anywhere else. Nothing against those of you that love it, I'm glad you find it to be a magical place. I just remember a lot of pavement, people, and waiting. Give me a cave or forest any day! :)

Well, we've been to Disney 4-5 times here in Orlando..once for 9 days...and we LOVE it. In fact, we are going back to Orlando in a few weeks for vacation, and while I said we would be visiting the other parks...a part of me just wants to do All disney all the time LOL. I have a really good time there, it feels very stress free to me, very relaxing, just good family fun. We love it.

As kids, my DH and I both loved going with our respective families. So much so that when we got pregnant with our first child we got a Disney credit card so we could accumulate points to help pay for our trip. I'm glad we did it because it allowed us to stay in a villa at the Animal Kingdom. We went last year when our kids were 4 and 1.5 and I vowed I'd never go back. There are so many reasons why, but after I cooled down we decided we'd wait at least another 5 years to go. I can see why people love it, though. It does have a magical feeling to it, but for someone like me, I don't like it as much as I used to as a kid. I actually prefer Downtown Disney. We've gone there a few times and I love that it's never been crowded, it's easy to find your way around, the restaurants were never crowded, the little rides they have there are perfect for my kids and there's no waiting in lines, there are tons of shops, and I love that I can look out at the water (I love being near the water). Downtown Disney is more my speed. :) We go during the day, though, and I'm guessing it's not like that at night.

I personally wouldn't go into debt for a Disney vacation, but its definitely something worth saving and splurging on a bit.

We are going to WDW for the second time in September. My current 6yr old was only 4 months when we traveled across country our first time. We have since added another daughter who will be 4 yrs old by the time we go. We are staying on site and have the dining plan with character dining. All of the girls are excited to go from the 16 yr old and down.

Disney is truly magical and well worth the money expenditure for our family.

My parents took me to Disney twice. Once when I was five, then again when I was eight. The first time I cried the whole time. The second time I was a bit older, so I put on my big girl panties and tried to like it. I think I made it halfway through the day before I told my parents NEVER to take me back again. And I meant it. I've never been back. I have a good friend in FL who has offered to take my kids; when they're a bit older, if they want to go, fine. She can take them.

It has nothing to do with money for me. Honestly, you couldn't pay me to go. I find the whole thing sickeningly fake and boring, and incredibly over-commercialized. But that's just me. I won't judge those who enjoy it; obviously they're having fun, and that's what counts.

Hey, you and I must have gone at the same times! :lol:

Magic. Pure and simple magic.

I grew up a Disney brat. West, not East coast. I knew the park like the back of my hand. Dh dragged me kicking and screaming to WDW a few years back and I fell in love all over again. We're planning our next vacation soon - would have been sooner, but we emptied the Disney fund for DLParis (fun, but not WDW).

The magic is indescribable. Disney parks were built with the idea that perspective changes as we get older. There are special things that littles see and their parents do not. There are special things their parents take note of. More than that, the emphasis on an effortless, stress free vacation is huge. Dh and I would never, ever go into debt for Disney. Vacations aren't worth headaches later. However, we do love the idea that we can pay for everything beforehand and it's ready. It's there. It's easy. It's like an all inclusive resort. From the airport to leaving, they take care of everything. And they listen. It is the easiest, most relaxing vacation we've taken to date, and so we'll always want to go back.

My favorite topic! I have been over 100 times since 1971. I am a true Disney geek. Here is why I like Disney vacations:

1. I swell up with a tear every time I enter in through the great big welcome sign with a picture of Mickey that extends across the highway. Can't control it.

2. Each ride stimulates every sense. There is a story, music, smells, changes in temperature, changes in the flooring, and visual overload with each ride. The stripped down structure of each ride is no more than what is at any amusement park. But Disney rides, through adding features for each sense, and forcing an emotion through the storytelling, give a "wow" effect unequaled.

3. Each resort is its own paradise, equipped with sights and luxuries to fit its theme.

4. The food. Even the restaurants adhere to their unique themes in every nook.

5. We were married there, complete with Cinderella's coach, the white ponies, and Mickey and Donald coming to the reception. I could write a volume on how magical that wedding was. It is the first memory always discussed at family gatherings and reunions ever since.

6. My DD first went as an infant. With all the sights and sounds, cast members smiling at her, and characters snuggling up with her for a photo op, it was the only time she slept all night for the first 5 years of her life.

7. Sitting in the middle of the savannah, with a Disney vet, eating grapes and cheese while on a "real" safari.

8. Spending a day with a Disney photographer learning how to take great photos.

9. Homeschool Days.

10. Seeing a new D&G handbag for sale.

11. Walking into a restaurant at one park and having a lady in a wheelchair deliver the lost stuffed animal that fell out of the stroller at another park that morning.

12. Seeing Mickey send your daughter his teddy bear when she lost her own.

13. Mickey calling your child every morning to wake him up.

14. Seeing new technology used for fun. For the latest such thing, check out the Be Our Guest restaurant. Each guest is given a rosé before being seated. Somehow the food magically shows up at the right table. (GPS in the rose.)

15. Collecting stuff and scavenger hunts, I.e. finding hidden Mickeys, pin trading, vinylmations, animal and plant searches at Animal Kingdom.

16. The Disney history. For example, when Disney was planning the school system at Celebration, they requested ideas and help from all the best teachers around the country. They even had best teacher contests. Ten when the best and brightest were found, they hired them. They did the same finding zookeepers for Animal Kingdom.

17. Disney imagineering. For example, on the Safari ride, there is a big rock where the big male lion always seems to be stretched out. He looks just like The Lion King movie. Turns out the rock is air conditioned so it is the lion's favorite place to stretch out for the day.

18. Pirate excursions.

19. Adventures by Disney. Getting a chance to search for the Declaration of Independence in Philadelphia or eat dinner with Thomas Jefferson just cannot be done if one plans a vacation on his own. We have also gone to The Grand Tetons with Disney and will be going to Alaska with Disney this summer. The magic extends way beyond the parks.

20. Going 0 to 60 mph in 1.8 seconds and then working with an engineer who explains the electromagnets behind the force.

21. Star Wars Days.

22. Wine and Cheese festival.

23. Seeing how Christmas is celebrated all over the world.

24. Passing through a resort lobby at 11p.m. And then coming back 4 hours later to find the entire resort was transformed into a winter wonderland of Christmas within just a few hours.

25. Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween party.

26. Watching fireworks from my bed at The Polynesian or while eating chocolate strawberries on a boat in the middle of the lagoon.

Whew I am out of breath and realize I have only scratched the surface. Enjoy exploring, but do not go into debt. It is a vacation worth saving for.

And the food prices are absurd- $38 for a hot dog and juice box? We love treating our family to a nice dinner out, but there are much higher quality places to go.

I know the food prices are high, but I've never seen $38 for a hot dog and juice box! I don't think we paid more than about $12 for our children for any dinner, except at the Princess castle. Adults are a different story, however! And, they charge anyone 10 and up as an adult.

My favorite topic! I have been over 100 times since 1971. I am a true Disney geek. Here is why I like Disney vacations:

1. I swell up with a tear every time I enter in through the great big welcome sign with a picture of Mickey that extends across the highway. Can't control it.

2. Each ride stimulates every sense. There is a story, music, smells, changes in temperature, changes in the flooring, and visual overload with each ride. The stripped down structure of each ride is no more than what is at any amusement park. But Disney rides, through adding features for each sense, and forcing an emotion through the storytelling, give a "wow" effect unequaled.

3. Each resort is its own paradise, equipped with sights and luxuries to fit its theme.

4. The food. Even the restaurants adhere to their unique themes in every nook.

5. We were married there, complete with Cinderella's coach, the white ponies, and Mickey and Donald coming to the reception. I could write a volume on how magical that wedding was. It is the first memory always discussed at family gatherings and reunions ever since.

6. My DD first went as an infant. With all the sights and sounds, cast members smiling at her, and characters snuggling up with her for a photo op, it was the only time she slept all night for the first 5 years of her life.

7. Sitting in the middle of the savannah, with a Disney vet, eating grapes and cheese while on a "real" safari.

8. Spending a day with a Disney photographer learning how to take great photos.

9. Homeschool Days.

10. Seeing a new D&G handbag for sale.

11. Walking into a restaurant at one park and having a lady in a wheelchair deliver the lost stuffed animal that fell out of the stroller at another park that morning.

12. Seeing Mickey send your daughter his teddy bear when she lost her own.

13. Mickey calling your child every morning to wake him up.

14. Seeing new technology used for fun. For the latest such thing, check out the Be Our Guest restaurant. Each guest is given a rosé before being seated. Somehow the food magically shows up at the right table. (GPS in the rose.)

15. Collecting stuff and scavenger hunts, I.e. finding hidden Mickeys, pin trading, vinylmations, animal and plant searches at Animal Kingdom.

16. The Disney history. For example, when Disney was planning the school system at Celebration, they requested ideas and help from all the best teachers around the country. They even had best teacher contests. Ten when the best and brightest were found, they hired them. They did the same finding zookeepers for Animal Kingdom.

17. Disney imagineering. For example, on the Safari ride, there is a big rock where the big male lion always seems to be stretched out. He looks just like The Lion King movie. Turns out the rock is air conditioned so it is the lion's favorite place to stretch out for the day.

18. Pirate excursions.

19. Adventures by Disney. Getting a chance to search for the Declaration of Independence in Philadelphia or eat dinner with Thomas Jefferson just cannot be done if one plans a vacation on his own. We have also gone to The Grand Tetons with Disney and will be going to Alaska with Disney this summer. The magic extends way beyond the parks.

20. Going 0 to 60 mph in 1.8 seconds and then working with an engineer who explains the electromagnets behind the force.

21. Star Wars Days.

22. Wine and Cheese festival.

23. Seeing how Christmas is celebrated all over the world.

24. Passing through a resort lobby at 11p.m. And then coming back 4 hours later to find the entire resort was transformed into a winter wonderland of Christmas within just a few hours.

25. Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween party.

26. Watching fireworks from my bed at The Polynesian or while eating chocolate strawberries on a boat in the middle of the lagoon.

Whew I am out of breath and realize I have only scratched the surface. Enjoy exploring, but do not go into debt. It is a vacation worth saving for.

AMAZING list! How did you get all those experiences with people who work there? Those sound awesome!

we have a friend that works as an imageneer there and he loves it.

also about 10 months ago, my adult nephew , who has been a HUGE Disney fan his entire life got a job designing gaming systems for Disney, It is his dream come true. He is able to work from here in NJ, he did not have to move to Orlando. And he, his wife , 2dc and his mother just got back a month ago from 4 days at the Contemperary Resort for his employee discount of 50% off the room, a total charge of $35 dollar a day for the table service dining plan ( that was $35 total a day for the 5 of them, not for each of them, but total) free park tickets and 50% off everything they wanted to buy .

My parents took my brother and I when we were kids. It was slightly off season and hardly any lines. I personally didn't get it. It was fun, but I don't see the magicall part of it.

I have showed my kids commercials to it and Wonderland. They both had no interest what so ever.

AMAZING list! How did you get all those experiences with people who work there? Those sound awesome!

Jennifer, we have had a ton more awesome backstage experiences. However, they have not happened all at once, but over a period of years and years and numerous trips. As many times as we have been, there are still so many things I have not done.

Some of our off beat experiences, I.e. riding Big Thunder Mountain while holding a glass of water while studying physics, have happened through homeschool days. Some of the cast members I have met through the years either when planning my wedding there, on Disney Adventures, or online. Before Expedition Everest opened to the public, a cast member I had met online called me to say I could get on in a test run. I drove 15 hours that day just to make it. Then, finally, some of the experiences I have had through being an annual pass holder for so long. We are given special deals and advance attraction options not open to the public.

When my kids were pretty young - 2 and 6- we went to DW for the first time. I did feel the magic! It was great. But something happened to it - or us- between visits, 4 years later- that we came back and were very disillusioned. It felt very "worshipful" if you will of a cartoon mouse. We all felt it, even my eldest who was 10 at the time. Never had the urge to go back.

My kids would rather do Europe/Asia or travel the US then go back to Disney.

You got that right.

If only a similar 2 bedroom condo at WIndsor Hills that I rented at $1400 for the month was available in Singapore or London. That would be *awesome*.

Southwest, are you listening? How about $50 flights to Paris? :)

one time that we went, when my ds was about 6 or 7, he was in a wheelchair for medical reasons. (my son has quite a few special needs and is also special ed) We would take our place at the back of the line but as soon as a cast member saw us, they would take us to the front of the line. We would say that we could wait in line and they would say, "Don't be silly, come to the front of the line" THey also put us in the front row for all the shows. WHen we saw the Indiana Jones Stunt Show, after the show, the actors that played Indy, Marion and the bad German guy spent a long time talking with my son. THey were so nice. For years, ds thought that the actor was really Harrison Ford.

I am not a WDW 'fan-fan'. I really don't care if I visit the parks or not. But when it's freezing at home, and you just want to relax in the warm air, an orlando condo starts to look really fabulous.

:) We are too!! We did take a non-Disney vacation this past January. The deal we found was WAY too good to pass up. Well, let's just say we'll be back at Disney! We all had a pretty good time, but all those Disney touches were missing. We are currently planning our August/Sept trip!