Menu

If you homeschool and work...what job do you hold?

Ghee

I'm thinking this might mostly be nurses, simply because nursing hours can be put in on the weekend or in fewer (but longer) shifts. I really need to find something to bring in "my own" income. It isn't that we can't exist without it, we can. My husband is a decent provider. However, there are some things I don't want to "jointly agree on" either because it isn't his business, or because he has some ideas about it that are.....odd.

Basically, I don't need to bring in a ton of income, just enough to supplement and provide me with my own money to be used at my own discretion. When I worked full time, we rarely argued over money. Now, it is a source of contention.

I have had several people suggest radiology tech, both because they feel I'd be good at it and because I could possibly have "unusual" hours to allow for homeschooling during "regular" hours. However, even just a "certification" is a year long course and I don't know how much of my time that would take up. I absolutely cannot shirk homeschooling duties OR give them up. I have two children with learning delays, likely all three have ADD, and they NEED the one on one. When I pulled my 1st grader out, his skills placed him on a pre-k level. Within the year we've homeschooled, he is solidly first to second grade for many things. In everything, he has made at least a one grade level improvement. My oldest also needs the one on one. He was not being pushed nearly enough in grammar or literature, and he was being pushed past his ability to perform in math. Even though he is a slow processor, he is doing much better with one on one math time. He isn't "mathy", but he is passing...he wasn't passing at all in public school. My daughter just needs the extra push and the lack of external stimuli. I've had offers to help from family members (including a certified teacher), but it always means I have to play catch up. They change what I've asked the kids to do, they skip things altogether, or they can't figure out the instructions to do the assignment (today, my mother was going to sit with my youngest while he did his phonics program, when I got home it hadn't been done because she didn't understand you had to enter a username and password....she was simply hitting "log in" and it wasn't taking her anywhere so she gave up). That is more frustrating than not having my own money.

Anyway, for those reasons, I can't delegate the homeschooling or place them back in PS. It has to be ME doing this......if you were in this situation, what things might you explore. I contemplated babysitting, but don't really have the ideal location for that. Also, it would mean dragging a baby/kid to anything we do during the day, possibly bringing illness into the house (one reason we quit PS, now my kids are rarely sick and they were sick all. the. time! in ps), and having a disruption when I have kids in upper elementary, middle school, and will have a high schooler next year. I just can't see that working at all. If I sewed, I might think of doing alterations.......but I can't sew LOL I don't bake well enough to cater or do cakes. I type really well :p, I have even created a few of my own unit studies so I'm fairly academically creative....

Ugh. Things would be so much easier if I got paid to HS. Not to toot my own horn, but I'm apparently fairly decent at it LOL and I have tons of time to devote to THAT!

I work night shift as a PCA (essentially a CNA without the certification) in a hospital. I only work every other weekend and my Monday that I sleep after work on Sunday night is DH's every other Monday off so he can oversee school that day until I get up. I make decent money (as in, I can make my car payment on 2 nights a month and in reality, I pay for the groceries, etc while DH pays the bills). I've considered dabbling in private duty care as an "extra" side job if I could find someone who just needs care a couple of hours a day, a few days a week.

Oh dear, where to start? I am an RN in L&D 32 hours a week. During seeding and harvest, I am a farmer's wife. I am in grad school full time and I am the ONLY cook and clean at our house. I am tired!

Wow! Now I just feel like a slacker and a whiner! You are amazing!

I train teachers to use a math curriculum. It's 100% travel when I work, but I only work a couple days a month in the school year. :) Summer is the busy time.

That actually sounds fun. I don't know that I'm qualified to teach anyone how to use a curriculum of any kind, but the traveling sounds heavenly, and the "a few days a month" sound doable :)

I transcribe high school and college classes for deaf and hard of hearing students all over the country. I work from home using Skype and the software I was trained in. To get into the remote side of the field (working from home), you need to be able to work at a college (or elsewhere) where this service is provided for a year first. The remote companies require this before hiring transcribers for remote work. Our local university hires transcribers, so I worked for them for two years and then came home. I make a good hourly wage and work 25-30 hours a week for about 8 months of the year. Love my job!

I contract with Arise, working at home for a major company. Been with Arise for going on 4 years now. The client I work for now is a major "Fun" Cruise line. Was working with major electronics company that loves "i"'s prior to that. Technically I'm self-employed as I do contract work. But I set my own hours, so work when my boys are in bed. Does exactly what you stated..gives us the "extra" income to provide for non-necessaties, fun stuff, a splurge here and there, etc.

Yes. I don't do any medical transcription. General transcription doesn't require any type of certification and the audio could be just about anything. I have done TV shows, sermons, court cases, police interviews, focus groups, counseling sessions, research interviews, class lectures, corporate meetings, radio broadcasts, insurance interviews, and a lot of other things that I can't remember anymore, lol.

Oh, interesting. Would you mind pm'ing (if you don't want to post here) information on how you got started in that. That kind of sounds fun!

Yes. I don't do any medical transcription. General transcription doesn't require any type of certification and the audio could be just about anything. I have done TV shows, sermons, court cases, police interviews, focus groups, counseling sessions, research interviews, class lectures, corporate meetings, radio broadcasts, insurance interviews, and a lot of other things that I can't remember anymore, lol.

Do you do word-for-word transcription? What programs do you use? I've been doing some w-f-w using ExpressScribe. I feel like I'm pretty slow at it but I don't have anything to compare myself to, either. It takes me about 4 hours transcribe a 1 hour recording word-for-word. Most of my work is classroom-based as described above, but I have a fella paying me right now for transcribing interviews he's doing for his dissertation.

I'm a physical therapist and work in a clinic 20 hrs (2 days)/wk. DH and I own an IT company and he teaches and works from home on the days I'm in the clinic. On the days I'm home, I teach and work for our business as well (i.e. answer the phone, set up appts, run errands, deal with the books).

I'm a family law attorney. Until a year ago, I worked in the office 3 days per week and home schooled the remaining four. Now, I go in the office 1 day a week, do as much work as I can from home, and homeschool Monday through Friday, except Tuesday (the day I'm at the office).

I don't work currently, but I hope to go back to tutoring when my kids get just a little older. Pay is $20-30 an hour, usually afternoon or evening hours, and I really enjoy it. It's not quite being paid to homeschool, but if you enjoy teaching and have a subject or two you're really good at, it can be good work.

I turned the family room into a dance studio and teach bellydance classes at home. I also teach two classes at co-op, but those just pay for co-op and don't really supplement our income. Occasionally I get a performance gig. Those are always evenings or weekends. I wouldn't equate it to a steady part-time job, but it does pay a few bills and keep me in shape.

I don't work currently, but I hope to go back to tutoring when my kids get just a little older. Pay is $20-30 an hour, usually afternoon or evening hours, and I really enjoy it. It's not quite being paid to homeschool, but if you enjoy teaching and have a subject or two you're really good at, it can be good work.

Adventuremoms-you are undercharging IMO. Tutors in our area make more like $50 for 50 minutes, but I've seen even more, $75.

I am a doctor, internist. I did primary care part time until I started homeschooling my oldest when he was in seventh grade. The following year, I quit primary care and started working as a hospitalist half time on weekend nights. Now eldest is a freshman in college, middle is sophomore in regular high school, and I'm only teaching my sixth grader. Life is easy now!

I can't speak to other options, but I know night providers at our hospital, at least, docs, midlevels and nurses get a "night differential" (higher pay) to work at night consistently. Night work part time is manageable, for me. I would NOT recommend committing to it until you've actually had some real experience working a similar schedule to what you might work in the future. Some people cannot function at all with night work. Half time has been manageable long term for me. It hasn't exactly been a career move, but that's OK.

I took my dd to my babysitting job once a week when I homeschooled 4th grade. It would be hard for you to do with 3 kiddos, tho.

I investigated being an online tutor with a company that teaches English via a Skype-like set up. Can't remember the name, but if your hearing is good and you are quick verbally (thinking) then you might enjoy it. Because it's for overseas, the hours are usually very late or very early.

Could you pet sit in your home, or do twice a day visits at their homes when people are on vacation? I did that, too--when I quit hsing, I started walking dogs full time (well, 4 hours a day--midday). Walkers midday here in NoVa make about 10-15 a 20 to 30 min visit, which means about $250 a week.

Yes, I use Express Scribe for some contracts but the one I mainly work for now has a proprietary program. Most of what I do now is verbatim - every 'um' and 'uh' and stutter gets typed.

You are right on target! From what I understand, industry standard is 4 hours per hour of audio. It takes me longer than that, though, if there are many speakers and/or poor audio quality.

I used to be an Executive Admin Asst at a bank years ago and did this for their board meetings. Is this something I could get back into easily? How would I go about it? If you prefer, would you also pm me? I would love to earn some extra income to help out our family. I would also love to be able to get some of the extras in curriculum that would enhance dd's learning that I can't afford right now. Thanks for the consideration.

I am a part-time fitness instructor at a ski mountain fitness center. I can work my schedule around homeschooling and my kids can come with me and do work, if needed. I don't make a lot of money, but I love the job for the benefits (our "fun" stuff). My entire family skis for free, I get my guaranteed workout and free family gym membership, and I get a great discount for my girls to be on the ski racing team.

I am an independent consultant for Autism Spectrum Disorders. My background is special education. Occasionally, I am called in to do a diagnostic assessment, or provide consultation or training with school staff or families. Both of those used to make up the bulk of my workload. But four years ago, I went back to direct service teaching children and adults Social Thinking/ social skills. Love it! I work about 8 hours a week (sometimes more.)

I was an RN, but going into my forties I just didn't have the stamina to work nights and weekends and homeschool during the day. I guess it didn't help that I kept on having babies too. I quit for a few years to be a stay at home mom. Just because I was home I got a few babysitting jobs which seemed like the ideal thing to bring in some money of my own but for various reasons I quickly became disillusioned with that. I enjoyed tutoring when I was in college and particularly enjoyed math and science so I've given some thought to doing tutoring at some point. I also have an undergrad degree in business along with the nursing and I've thought about doing some part time office work as I really enjoy organizing paperwork. I think I was really meant to be one of those super efficient assistant-types you see in the movies all the time, but I accidentally went into nursing after college instead.

I'm working on a manuscript for a nonfiction book right now and that should keep me busy over the summer and then I guess I had better learn something about marketing it. I hope it sells, but it may not. I'm not broke enough to be desperate about it and I'm really enjoying the process. I'm not a good writer but i love my topic and don't have a problem doing the multiple re-writes it takes to get it right. I'm also looking into writing apps for the android market, just for fun.

Adventuremoms-you are undercharging IMO. Tutors in our area make more like $50 for 50 minutes, but I've seen even more, $75.

I think this is really location dependent. The most I've seen here is $35/hr. My local area is fairly economically depressed, however. When I worked in Metro Chicago, I was making $35 an hour, working with a service. Which means the service was charging quite a lot more for my time, I'm sure. If I stayed there, I'm sure I could have made more. I would be pretty surprised if anybody in this area could afford $75 an hour.

Or maybe when my kids get older, I will try getting clients in a nearby city, which is larger, and probably would bear a higher price. But for now, close to home would be the way to go.

I work part-time very early in the morning as a before-care instructor at a local Christian school. I'm home by 9am and done for the day. It isn't a ton of money, but I am often requested to substitute mornings in pre-school as well so that adds a bit to it. I also do pet-sitting on the side, both in home and boarding.

I work part-time selling cable/internet/phone in a call center. My hours are 5pm-9pm 5 days a week. The money is great, I get tons of vacation days, a corporate membership to almost all NYC museums, and free cable/internet/phone. I've been doing this for 7 years and I love it. It's worth looking into. See if you have a nearby location for FIOS, Cablevision, Time Warner Cable, Comcast, etc. Look on their websites for job offerings.

My dh and I have opposite shifts. He works day shift. I am one of those nurses who works part-time: one 3-11 weeknight shift and 3-11 every other weekend. It makes things busy and I miss evenings at home. I am often working extra hrs. I do rely on my co-workers to trade days or weekends to avoid missing important activities. However, med/surg bedside nursing was becoming too stressful after 22 yrs, and it was taking a toll at home and homeschool. We quit the coop and concentrated on hs. Then I found a niche position with a fraction of the stress and this has helped tremendously. Hospitals are moving toward RN BSN requirements only, so that is a time and money investment to consider if starting later in life.

I am an acupuncturist in a clinic which I co-own with one other person. I set my own hours. Right now, I work Tuesday through Thursday afternoons and evenings. I would like to add a morning shift but don't know how that would work with my kids and homeschool.

Previously, I was a music therapist and worked weekends, evenings, and after school hours.

Now, I work Friday afternoons and three Saturdays per month at a quilt store plus special sales in the summers or around the holidays. I also tutor for pay. My previous job, 20 hours per week as a school guidance counselor/chemistry teacher at a private school was a nightmare of trying to work with those that celebrated ignorance and mediocrity in the extreme and made me nuts. I lasted one semester and though they begged me to return, I hit the road without ever looking back. Whew!

I love my quilt store job and the tutoring. However, once the kids are gone, I'm very likely to go back to the GOOD private school and teach music as well as science plus labs. 5-8 grade science, 3-5th grade general music, plus the audition only middle school choir as well as directing the annual musical. They never found anyone to replace me and have been trying to make a go of it with a lot of volunteers. I've been assured my place will be there when I'm ready, and I truly adored that job.

On the side in the summers, I do a little farm sitting and enjoy the fresh air and critters.

Faith

That actually sounds fun. I don't know that I'm qualified to teach anyone how to use a curriculum of any kind, but the traveling sounds heavenly, and the "a few days a month" sound doable :)

Well, the traveling eventually becomes ho-hum. Don't get me wrong, I love my job, but mostly the travel is being in and out of public schools all over. I have seen a boatload of them. :) On the bright side, I have seen a lot of PS teachers who really care about their students, too, as well as bureaucracy that ties their hands. It's heartening and depressing all at the same time. I am glad I got out of the full-time classroom, all told, but sure feel bad for the folks still there who are trying to do right by their students.

In grad school 3/4 time, and I work 20-24 hours a week as a secretary for the local county office of education. I also "read" (grade essays) for a couple of English professors.

I work in the mornings, we homeschool in the afternoons, I am on campus one evening a week, and I grade papers near bedtime.

Need to work on getting the housework done in there somehow!

I work from home as a general transcriptionist and help a bit with my husband's internet marketing business. I'll be honest and say that at the time I don't homeschool (although I am busy with three littles) and will be putting my oldest in school in the fall. I work about 15 to 20 hours a week during naptimes or after bedtime. I set my own hours and I am usually as busy as I want to be.

During the past five years of homeschooling, I have taught undergraduate and graduate courses as an adjunct professor and have done psychotherapy as a contractor for an agency. Currently, I work in utilization management in the mental health field 20 hours a week. I work Monday and Tuesday, ten hour days.