Menu

Where's should I buy inexpensive maple syrup?

Clpretzel

I don't think there's such a thing. We treat it like liquid gold in our house.

:iagree: I like to put the syrup into a condiment bottle--like those ketchup squeeze bottles at restaurants that have the very small opening. You can get clear ones at Walmart. Anyway these help dispense the syrup better--a small stream instead of a glop here and there or just pouring a large amount over the top (like you see in syrup commercials) so the pancakes are sitting in a nice pool of syrup. And it helps you use less overall.

The last bottle I got was from Aldi. Can't remember the price. Ds was commenting that it said a serving was 1/4 cup, so there were only 4 servings in the bottle. He was surprised and said there were way more servings than that in the bottle. Well, they way we use it, yes. But he has seen his friends, who have no idea how precious real maple syrup is (they only use fake), pour and pour over their pancakes.

The last bottle I got was from Aldi. Can't remember the price. Ds was commenting that it said a serving was 1/4 cup, so there were only 4 servings in the bottle. He was surprised and said there were way more servings than that in the bottle. Well, they way we use it, yes. But he has seen his friends, who have no idea how precious real maple syrup is (they only use fake), pour and pour over their pancakes.

DH mentioned once that it bothered him that I put the syrup on everyone's French toast in the kitchen. (He's someone who will pour tons of syrup, leaving a substantial amount on his plate... the kids showed more moderation.) I made sure to have him pick up some maple syrup on his next milk trip to the grocery store. He hasn't complained since. :D

You can make fake maple syrup. Basically it's just a sugar syrup with imitation maple syrup flavoring...........The imitation flavoring is the most expensive ingredient and you can add as much or as little as you like (or your budget allows).

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/05/make-your-own-ridiculously-easy-and-inexpensive-homemade-maple-syrup.html

The cheapest I've been able to find around here is at Target. The organic maple syrup at Target is cheaper than the non-organic at Walmart.

This is the best I've found, too. It's about $15/32 oz. TJ's is not bad either, $16/17 for the cheaper grade. I always heat mine up before serving which thins it a little and helps it go farther.

Some years ago, we held a family conclave during which we agreed that we prefer to continue using only genuine maple syrup, rather than shift to sugar syrup. We use minimum amount for the needed purpose. I do buy from Costco, despite having read some articles about the unsavory chemicals used in conventional extraction method.

We make our own. We have about 6 big maples in our back yard. For the 3 of us, it's just right. In our area, it will be boiling time next week if the temps really do what they are reporting.

Boiling your own would provide a great history and science lesson too! If you make a lot, it freezes really well.

Their maple syrup for 8.5 fl oz was 3.89.

I bought some there. It's not fake sugar syrup.

DH mentioned once that it bothered him that I put the syrup on everyone's French toast in the kitchen. (He's someone who will pour tons of syrup, leaving a substantial amount on his plate... the kids showed more moderation.) I made sure to have him pick up some maple syrup on his next milk trip to the grocery store. He hasn't complained since. :D

funny. I think maple syrup bottles are weirdly hard to hold and pour from. Is that by design??

:iagree: I like to put the syrup into a condiment bottle--like those ketchup squeeze bottles at restaurants that have the very small opening.

Yes - we reuse the big "large top" ketchup bottles that have the (silicone?) valve opening - they are perfect for maple syrup and really cut down on waste.

These days I buy maple syrup in bulk from a local co-op, but before then I bought it at Sam's Club.

You don't necessarily want to buy the cheapest thing you can find because it might not be real or it might be mixed with other things. I read that somewhere not long ago.

Anyhow, I have found some good deals on grade B (which is tastier IMO) at a store called Ocean State Job Lot. I don't know if you have that anywhere near you.

I agree - maple syrup makes the top 10 list of most adultered (fraudulent) foods out there. I am leary of using the cheapest of products like that.

I agree - maple syrup makes the top 10 list of most adultered (fraudulent) foods out there. I am leary of using the cheapest of products like that.

Thanks for sharing. Information like this makes my blood boil. I'm so sick of all the crap we have to put up with in regards to our food supply. It's almost impossible to purchase pure, unadulterated foods unless you grow yourself or buy local (not that you can even get some of these things locally). I resent the fact that in order to do so I need to spend more money and time to run all over the state picking up all these things. On the other hand, it feels good to support those who can provide you with some good honest food. Sigh.

We buy pure organic maple syrup this time of year direct from farmers in Vermont online - we usually stock up and get 4 or 5 gallons that will last us a year (my family loves pancakes, french toast, waffles for breakfast!). It's sorta pricey to ship (heavy) but even with the add-on shipping costs it beats buying it by the pint or quart anywhere else. Sometimes we can find it on Amazon with free prime shipping. THIS IS THE TIME OF YEAR to buy/stock up! And friends know we love and are picky about our maple syrup and will often bring some back for us whenever they travel back east and/or to Canada.

Were the thieves who pulled off that enormous theft of Canadian maple syrup ever caught?

Yes, but there is some kerfuffle about getting the syrup back that had left the country.

Here's a good write-up:

http://www.businessw...ple-syrup-heist

And recent news:

http://www.prweb.com...web10449021.htm

We buy pure organic maple syrup this time of year direct from farmers in Vermont online - we usually stock up and get 4 or 5 gallons that will last us a year (my family loves pancakes, french toast, waffles for breakfast!). It's sorta pricey to ship (heavy) but even with the add-on shipping costs it beats buying it by the pint or quart anywhere else. Sometimes we can find it on Amazon with free prime shipping. THIS IS THE TIME OF YEAR to buy/stock up! And friends know we love and are picky about our maple syrup and will often bring some back for us whenever they travel back east and/or to Canada.

This is cool! Do you have a link for the Vermont farmers?

Thanks for all of the imput, ladies! I wish we liked honey in our yogurt. It looks like Aldi and ravaging the countryside are my best options. So far the best I have found it for is $53/gallon locally, but I have to buy 4 gallons.

I'm going to call the phone number listed above tomorrow.

Do you ever get nervous about products from Amish? I have heard I can drive for about 45 minutes and maybe get some from the Amish. There's no way of calling them, but if I write them, and they can call me with details. We buy raw milk from a raw cheese farm that sells to the expensive health food stores. I have always been a little leary of the amish products.

You can make fake maple syrup. Basically it's just a sugar syrup with imitation maple syrup flavoring...........The imitation flavoring is the most expensive ingredient and you can add as much or as little as you like (or your budget allows).

http://www.onegoodth...aple-syrup.html

We are so spoiled here. We'd rather go without (using berries or jam or peanut butter or plain butter or whatnot) than eat the fake version. I grew up with the fake syrup and I can't tolerate the taste any longer. I have taken to rationing it in the kitchen like nmoira now that we only have one modest income for a couple of years yet.

I live in syrup country so it is plentiful around here. I can buy it from the source. You don't say where you live, but if it is far from syrup country you might want to consider using a local honey instead. Transporting heavy syrup across the country is very expensive in terms of resources used. Or, if you really like the syrup taste, consider using maple flavouring.

I buy my syrup from my local food co-op. It is locally produced and I buy 'B' grade. That is slightly darker in colour and maybe a little stronger in taste. It is considered too dark to sell at premium price so it is much cheaper.

I live in syrup country so it is plentiful around here. I can buy it from the source. You don't say where you live, but if it is far from syrup country you might want to consider using a local honey instead. Transporting heavy syrup across the country is very expensive in terms of resources used. Or, if you really like the syrup taste, consider using maple flavouring.

I buy my syrup from my local food co-op. It is locally produced and I buy 'B' grade. That is slightly darker in colour and maybe a little stronger in taste. It is considered too dark to sell at premium price so it is much cheaper.

I live in central pa. I really don't know how much tapping happens here.

Mergath and Sara in AZ-is the Target one Grade A or Grade B? And, Sara, was the price you quoted for the organic or non? Thanks so much!

I always buy grade B because it's cheaper. I don't even know what that means. Is it the polluted kind? I don't think TJ's is organic and I'm pretty sure Target isn't. I haven't really payed attention, though. And I think Target only sellsone grade, probably B.

http://www.onegoodth...aple-syrup.html

Bite your tongue woman! :ohmy: I make it for the kids with the mapleine and splenda but there is NO COMPARISON between that fake stuff and real maple syrup:)