Menu

Where's should I buy inexpensive maple syrup?

Clpretzel

I always buy grade B because it's cheaper. I don't even know what that means. Is it the polluted kind? I don't think TJ's is organic and I'm pretty sure Target isn't. I haven't really payed attention, though. And I think Target only sellsone grade, probably B.

Grade B means it is a darker color, usually a stronger flavor and *slightly* less sweet (though still in the neighborhood of 200 calories / 1/4 cup).

It is not polluted (unless someone adds something to it after it is made from the sap).

The first run from the trees is the sweetest, and is usually graded A or AA.

I personally prefer the stronger "maple-y" flavor of Grade B.

Everything lower than Grade B gets sold to manufacturing plants that mix it with HFCS and sell the fake stuff. :)

Grade B means it is a darker color, usually a stronger flavor and *slightly* less sweet (though still in the neighborhood of 200 calories / 1/4 cup).

It is not polluted (unless someone adds something to it after it is made from the sap).

The first run from the trees is the sweetest, and is usually graded A or AA.

I personally prefer the stronger "maple-y" flavor of Grade B.

Everything lower than Grade B gets sold to manufacturing plants that mix it with HFCS and sell the fake stuff. :)

Thanks for the explanation! Next time maybe I'll splurge for Grade A to see if I can taste the difference. :- )

Trader Joes has great prices and they have the B grade.

We buy at it at TJ's too. Thanks to this thread I'm going to check at Target. It never occurred to me to look there. I just bought a new waffle iron so this is important information.

I also lke to use strawberry preserves as syrup, but if you're anti-sugar this wouldn't work unless you made your own.

We buy at it at TJ's too. Thanks to this thread I'm going to check at Target. It never occurred to me to look there. I just bought a new waffle iron so this is important information.

I also lke to use strawberry preserves as syrup, but if you're anti-sugar this wouldn't work unless you made your own.

Target has all kinds of random foods that are much cheaper than anywhere else. I get all the snack foods for dh's lunches there, and they used to be the only place where you could still get a five pound bag of sugar, though I don't know if they still have them. If you have the time to comparison shop, you can save a bundle there.

I always buy grade B because it's cheaper. I don't even know what that means. Is it the polluted kind? I don't think TJ's is organic and I'm pretty sure Target isn't. I haven't really payed attention, though. And I think Target only sellsone grade, probably B.

Grade B is simply darker than grade A. The most desirable is a very pale colour. Sometimes it cooks a bit too long or there is some variable and it comes out a bit darker. It has a slightly richer (to me) taste as well.

I prefer grade B to grade A. It has more flavour so we use less. Not much less though. Ok, not any less. In fact, it tastes so good, I prob use more, lol.