Menu

When does your school year officially start?

We will start the same time as public school, since I also have kids trudging off to those coal mines ;) so Wed. 8/27. My youngest will go out to lunch with me as part of her first day of the homeschool year.

My special needs son has to start 8/21!!!!! I hope he doesn't realize he is the only kid having to go to school those first few days here, or there will be heck to pay!!!!!:eek:

Today! :eek:

We have begun...well, with a modified schedule. We'll hit the ground running sometime in late August. Today was the "official" date, though. It took MUCH longer than anticipated this morning and we only did math, english, geography and science for the older.

Sept 1, officially. But give or take, depending. Our 1st yr, K, we got a note from our ins co on the house we'd just bought, saying we had to be living in the house, or they'd drop us. We were staying w/ ils & fixing the house. A week & a half later, my dad suddenly died. We were late starting that yr.

Sept of 1st g, I was having the worst AM sickness I've had in 4 pgs. We were late starting that yr.

Sept of 2nd g, we'd *just* moved. After having a contract on our house for over a mo that kept nearly falling through, staying in a 10'x10' bedroom at ils w/ new baby, 2 older dc, & dh, the contract on our new house fell through, dh quit his job, started seminary, & we moved an hr away to this little apt. We were late starting that yr.

3rd g & a new K'er are looming this yr, as well as a precocious 1yo & new baby in the next week. I have a feeling we may be late starting this yr.

But, by golly, if we can start early, I don't have time to waste, the way our lives have been going! LOL (It gets easier, right?)

We're scheduled to start Aug 6. Wait.... that's next week! Ack! I'm not sure I'm ready, but I promised my ds we'd start then. He's excited to start his first *real* year of HS. :-) I guess we'll start with what we have and go from there.

My goal is to start Aug. 11. I want to do 9 weeks on, one week off, and be halfway done (18 weeks) by Christmas. If we start Aug 11, that will happen and we will still be done with the year by our goal of mid-May.

I was planning on starting the 18th, but I like Denise's idea.

Sue

We will start a week from today on Aug 4th. I was going to bump it up to today but after looking things over that would mean we'd have to observe a bacteria experiment while on the road to visit my parents in WI. That's not going to happen so by starting next week we'll actually set up and observe the experiment while at my parents. We always continue school when visiting them. My parents both work during the day so we school while they are at work and visit with them once they get home. We also visit with my grandma when there but she likes us to bring our school work with us. She loves to watch them learn. LOL

We start August 25th. My oldest goes back the 18th but my hsers will be going to an end of summer week at their daycamp. I really couldn't bring myself to make them buckle down when their friends will be playing water games all week. Plus, I'll need a week to recover from vacation and get everything ready to go for school!

DS/15 starts public highschool on August 12; so my plan "was" to start on August 11. But, now I am thinking we will start next Monday with just a few subjects and work our way to a full schedule by the third week in August.

Usaully I start the day after labor day, but that's our 20th anniversary and I would like to keep that day free since dh is off work. ;)

with most of the subjects. My dc have a couple of online classes this year that won't begin until September.

I think I actually like it this way. Instead of bombarding them with everything on the first day of school it feels like we're tiptoeing into it. They're getting some subjects under control and over the "Oh my God, can I do this?" stage (e.g. high school Chemistry, Precalculus, etc.). When their new subjects begin in September it won't be a big deal. KWIM?

We started on July 21st, so we are starting our 2nd week. I also ease into it a little bit. We did Math, TOG, Latin, a little bit of writing, and piano. I'm adding science, pe and more serious writing this week. I plan to add Rosetta Stone Spanish and Computer class next week. We are going to Disney for a week in September which will coincide with the end of the first quarter. We generally take a week off in November, 2 in December, a week in February and a week in April. We finish up mid to late May.

Christine

Err... I don't know. LOL Sounds like a great plan, huh? My original plan was to begin some school next Monday. However, I haven't been able to order books yet, so that plan is out. I guess my answer is that we will start as soon as we get our books in. At the very latest, that will be the first week of September, but I really hope it will be sooner!

On a positive note, we are having a wonderful summer here! I don't think I've heard "I'm bored" at all! We're having lots of fun as a family, spending good time together, and I'm relaxed and mostly caught up on my housework. So, if circumstances dictate that we need to continue this lifestyle through August, I guess I won't complain. :001_smile:

Erica

PS starts Aug. 11, so that's when dd16 will go back. For the others, we never really stopped except for camps and trips. I keep dd9 working year round, in short spurts, and dd13 does a bit of school in the summer when she doesn't have something else going on (which has been a rare day this summer!)

We will officially start our new year on the 18th, I believe. Dd13 has two last trips for a final hurrah of summer.

I am trying to get the final things ready for a start the first full week in August. I start school myself on the 25th so I want to be in the habit before then.

What about you?

last week. :001_smile:

Originally the plan was to start August 4th, but we needed structure and we needed it fast.

So "school" opened before all the boxes were unpacked. While they do

their lessons I work on unpacking.

FWIW this year's curriculum includes:

Pathway Readers & Workbooks: Grade 1 and Grade 3

MUS: Primer, Alpha, and Gamma

Writing: Getty Dubay Books A, B, & F

Grammar: FLL and R&S English 3

Hand of a Child: 2008 Presidential Election http://www.handsofachild.com/shop/2008-Presidential-Election-Ebook-P1036.aspx

MFW Adventures - finishing it up from last year

Las year was a bit of a confused mess with the selling, packing, and double moving done. We got behind a bit. Technically the kids won't start some of their next grade level materials until late fall.