Menu

First grade plans

Maela

Has a first grade thread been started?

I've spent the last few days thinking about next year. This year (kindergarten) I feel like we started out slow (I didn't know what would work for us). Then, once I figured out what curriculum and hsing style worked for us, we did a little too much.

So I'm trying to plan better for first grade.

We'll be finishing up OPGTR in late September.

FLL 2 four days a week

WWE 2 four days a week

ETC 5 four pages a week

Two pages a week from MCP Phonics level B. (I'm going to skip pages that I don't think are necessary - a lot - and we'll finish in December. Then we'll just stick with ETC instead of doing three workbooks, like this year.)

This year, we did the human body. So for first grade we're going to just be doing animals and then plants. We'll be using the first half of Mr. Q's Life Science and a kids' nature encyclopedia. I'd like to do a lot of nature walks and maybe a nature journal. I'd also like to follow her lead and go in depth with a few animals of her choice.

We'll be on the second half of SotW 1, but I'm going to move slowly and make it last until March. Same thing with grammar stage ancients CHOLL.

In April/ May, we're going to do a unit on Little House in the Big Woods. I am SO excited about this!

We'll continue with MM (blue series 1-3), doing two pages a day, four days a week. Family Math and math games on the other day.

Possibly Rossetta Stone for Spanish?? Also watching movies in Spanish and Salsa videos.

She'll have a once a week class at her charter and choir. This year she also did tap and tumbling. I'm planning on talking to her about that, and asking her if she'd like to do less next year. Or something else instead.

ETA: forgot about art! I was planning on starting Artistic Pursuits next year, but instead I'm going to wait until second grade to start, so that Ds will be able to enjoy it too. Next year, we'll continue with Drawing with Children (DH just started this with her a couple of weeks ago).

We actually started 1st grade last month (though it's been rather hectic, so we haven't progressed very far, except for reading.)

this is for my 5 yo son:

Reading: 100 EZ lessons, maybe followed with OPGTR, or maybe with reading for the gifted student gr. 1, or maybe just reading books aloud to me everyday that i choose. It depends on where i feel he is at when he is done with 100EZ, we're on lesson 75, so pretty soon!

Math: Singapore math 1A/1B and MEP. (main focus is SM, with MEP when we need a change, and for fun)

Writing: WWE 1, WWW 1 and Zaner Bloser gr 1 book. (ZB is an extra for him to do mostly on his own when he wants to, since the other two include a good amount of writing)

Grammar: FLL 1 and GWG.

Geography: Beginning geography K-2. we started this in K (but only did K work for about 4 months) and we're continuing it through 1st.

History: SOTW 1 with books from the library and activities from the AG. Also lots of biographies/books on american history. i might get Adventures in America, though i just read about The American Adventure book series, and might go with that as a read aloud, expanding on topics presented in the book. I'm expecting both programs to stretch out pretty far, we are going to school year round, so we might be done with all of this a year from now, depending on how the summer goes.

Science: NO CLUE. Right now i have BFSU, but i am having a very difficult time implementing it. I've looked into www.msnucleus.org, and might incorporate some of those activities. i have also looked into Mr Q, and like the look of that. i might just try some things and see what actually gets done, and go with that program. I also want to go a little "interest-led" for him to choose some topics from the science section of the library.

Latin: song school latin followed by getting started with latin.

Spanish: pieced together vocabulary with a couple of random workbooks and salsa videos, followed by getting started with spanish (probably in 2nd grade)

Vocab: Wordly wise K. (we're about halfway through this and will finish it out) we probably won't do gr. 1 due to the price. so either skip to gr 2 or go with another program to finish out 1st grade. he does love wordly wise K though, he thinks the stories are so funny!

Bible: BSGFAA

Math: MM finish 1-2

LA: AAR finish 2- either 3 or OPGTR, AAS 1-2, WWE text, FLL 1, HWOT 1, MP copybook

History: US history using TQ/SL

Science: still up in the air-- either ES chemistry or SL science C or...

Basic Spanish immersion

Basketball and probably starting piano

Math: Singapore 2A/2B, Life of Fred Elementary

Phonics: Phonics Pathways

Handwriting: Pentime 1 book 2

Grammar: FLL1

Writing: WWE1

Read-Alouds: I have a list we'll work through and see how much we get done - just good stories, tales, etc.

Science: Magic School Bus DVDs, tag along with big brother in his science if it's not completely over his head

This child will start the 4-year history cycle in 2nd grade, when we come back around to Ancients. I'm not doing history with him in 1st, though he'll hear some of the read-alouds big brother is doing in Sonlight Core E. Sometimes he listens in, and sometimes he wanders away.

Reading: We'll finish OPGTR in August or September. We'll continue with ETC as long as I think it's good practice.

Spelling: Spelling Workout

Grammar: FLL 1

Writing: WWE 1

Math: Might switch to Saxon 1

History: SOTW 1 and AG

Science: I waffle back and forth between RSO Life and just using Let's Read and Find Out books following dd's interests.

Geography: I'm making my own geography study that focuses on one continent per year (including major landforms, landmarks, climates, animals, map work, and select countries with their food, customs, holidays, etc.). My plan is to do that for six years (sorry, Antarctica), and repeat.

Art: Artistic Pursuits

In addition, dd will continue with Girl Scouts and gymnastics. We're hoping to get a piano by mid-way through the year and start teaching her lessons (dh will teach the lesson on weekends and I will manage the practicing during the week).

Phonics: AAR 2, LIPS? - this plan may change depending on how the last part of this year goes

Writing: WWE 1

Grammar: ? He is bored by FLL, but can't read fluently so I may just skip grammar for this year and put him in MCT Island later

Spelling: AAS 1, 2

Math: Singapore 2A/2B, maybe BA

History: SOTW 3

Science: RS4K Pre-Level 1, Fizz, Bubble & Flash, maybe GEMS Involving Dissolving, maybe Science Fair Project

Music: Violin lessons

This kid is all over the map in skills and learns in fits and starts, so it is really a guessing game at this point as to where he will be next year. He is great with content, so the science/history plans are more firm than the rest of it.

My DD is still K, but we've added in some 1st grade materials recently.

Next years plans:

MCP A (we started this today), probably start B next winter?

McGuffey Readers (finish primer and start 1st reader) with copywork

MUS Alpha

SCM Joshua Through Malachi and Ancient Greece (Bible, history, and geography)

Apologia (maybe Zoo 1 or 3)

Prima Latina (we've been doing this as a family subject)

SCM scripture memory system

various Charlotte Mason studies (nature, art, music, poetry, etc.)

gymnastics, HS co-op, and possibly piano

We will be continuing a lot of what we are doing now, especially since I'm in the process of making some changes.

Math Mammoth - currently doing 1A, will continue

Evan Moor Skill Sharpeners Math 1st grade - a fun, colorful supplement

Brave Writer Jot It Down and The Wand

OPGTR - she's on Lesson 41 so I anticipate we'll still be working on this for a while.

Explode the Code - she just started book 2, we will continue these at least through 5

Handwriting without Tears - she should be finished with the K book by September and starting the 1st grade book

Together with her brother:

REAL Science Odyssey and lots of books and supplements

Complete Book of US History, History Pockets, lots of books and supplements

Evan Moor Beginning Geography and US States study

The Complete Book of Spanish

Draw Write Now

Evan Moor How to Teach Art to Children

I'm not completely sure what my K'er will be doing for her official first grade year. I kinda already promoted her to first grade in my head since it just seems to fit her better than what our ps district says. Right now she is using:

MM1B

MBTP 6-8

LA a la Bravewriter

Intellego, BFSU, and interest-led science

Our own cobbled-together history

Art as she finds stuff she wants to try in Usborne books and tied in with history/science

Ballet class

Everything seems to be working well right now, and we go year-round, so by September I'm sure she'll be up to MM2 and MBTP 7-9. I'm currently debating when to start giving her some logic puzzles, and whether she needs more explicit phonics instruction.

Here are our 1st grade plans:

Math: Saxon 2

Logic: Building Thinking Skills Primary

Greek: Hey Andrew 1

Latin: LNST 1

Spelling: Spelling Plus (Level B and C)

Grammar: Dictation Resource Book

Writing: Pre-Scripts Sentences and Words

Reading: Literature list from Writing Road to Reading and Veritas Press, Teaching the Classics terms, McCall Harby Book for comprehension, McGuffey 1st Reader

Geography: CC Maps and maybe Draw Your World, Trivium Tables

History: Acts and Facts Timeline Cards, memory work, History Highlights, SOTW, Veritas Press

Science: Acts and Facts Science Cards, nature study, Lyrical Science, Janice Van Cleave's 201 Experiments book

Fine Arts: Drawing With Children, Foundations guide, Discovering Great Artists, Classical Music for Dummies

Bible: Veritas Press

Tons of living books and reference books to flesh all this out......Possible CC lapbooking using A Journey Through Learning and Wisdom and Righteousness in the summer, Homeschool Curriculum Co. Science units in summer

•  

My plan thus far (always subject to change!!)....

Continue apace with OPGTR/BOB books

Miquon and Life of Fred

Handwriting (likely just copying me but maybe a program....)

Possibly FLL

read alouds from Hillyer....Aesop's Fables....Just So Stories and the Little house books (and brief oral narrations) plus other fun read alouds

CC cycle 2 as an extracurricular

Gardening :) nature walks....possibly Elemental Science but probably my own science creation

Running

I'm debating k12 history. We shall see.

That's it!

I have a difficult time determining exactly where we will be as my daughter tends to fly and stall, on different subjects at different times. She is not yet reading fluently, but has come a long way in the 6 months we have been "doing school". So it is hard to tell where we will be with that 6 months from now. We school lightly in the summer so some of this we will be starting in the next few months.

Language Arts:

MCP Plaid Phonics, finish A and move to B by fall hopefully

FLL 1 - we are starting this probably in a month or so.

WWE 1 - starting by fall or earlier depending on her interest

Reading books at her level and read alouds

Math:

MM 1,2 ( plan to chapter test through 1 and possibly some of 2 over the summer, currently using SM 1b)

History:

SOTW 1 w/ AG

Science:

We tend to do this naturally. I enjoy science. We will learn about plants and bugs in the summer with our garden and farm. I made a list of animals to read about and do an occasional activity with for fall. In the winter/spring we will learn about the human body, I'll probably cover the different major systems. I work in a medical field, so I am very fluent in anatomy and physiology.

She still won't be cumpulsory school age for my state. so we won't worry about art, music, and p.e. unless opportunities arise, or a specific interest develops.

I will probably just keep doing what we're doing this year but one level up. I am adding in a few things. So far this is what I'm thinking

LA - Phonics Pathways, WWE 1, Penny Gardner's Italics and maybe some kind of phonics workbook (because he likes them), possibly MCP or ETC

Math - RightStart B

Science - Finish off Elemental Science Grammar Biology and move up to Earth Science

Geography/History - Finish off Expedition Earth and begin SOTW vol 1 with AG

French - The Easy French

Art - Artistic Pursuits

Everything other than LA and Math he is tagging along w/ his older brother.

OPGTR - He's on lesson 50 something

AAR readers - finish level 1, maybe start level 2

AAS 1, maybe 2 (he's half way through the first)

FLL 1

HWOT 1st grade

possibly WWE 1

Continue on with Miquon, LOF, right start games, etc

STOW 1 with AG

Finish Avant Gaston for French, possibly move into Gaston.

Song School Latin 1

WTM Science

begin piano lessons, continue Harmony Fine Arts 1, finish Lollipop Logic 1, finish ETC 2 start 3

I think that's it . . .

Finishing up The Reading Lesson

SmithHand for penmanship

Copywork and read-alouds for LA

The Verbal Math Lesson with manipulatives

I'd like a 1st grade Oak Meadow guide to cover the rest, if I can find one at a decent price.

Recorder and Waldorfy art and handwork

THis is totally what I needed. Here is what I have so far but I have lots of ???? still

Spelling: AAS 2 &3

Handwriting - WWE 1 & HWT K???

Math: Finish Right Start B and Start C

History SOTW

Science Lego Robotics and ???

Art: Homeschool Art Studio

We had 10 lessons left in OPG. Probably go back and do that and some of the ETC we never finished. Feel like we should do something else for phonics but I am unsure what. He is reading really well but resistant to my involvement in his reading.

For dd

Konos vol 1

Language Lessons for little ones vol 2 (& 3 if we get to it)

HWOT finish K and start 1

MUS Alpha

Little Passports

Another trip around the world (geography)

Artistic pursuits K-3 book 2

Mission Monde ABC (french)

Copywork for little girls

WWE 1

AAR 1

AAS 1 (after xmas)

many read alouds to be determined

Nature Study

Composer/Artist study

and she is going to go attend the ps K class twice a week too for the social/maturity aspect while giving me time twice a week to focus on my spec ed kids needs.

We will probably start 1st grade in September but I might wait until we've finished our kindergarten (we're slow on the history these days) before we start these.

Language Arts: WWE1, maybe LoE Essentials at a slow pace (we are working with LoE Foundations right now), lots of reading aloud together and personal reading

Math: Miquon Blue and Green

History/Social Studies:: SotW 1, with audio and AG. We will also finish off American history in some way, and play stack the states to practice geography :)

Science: on demand, plus enrichment class at co-op

Fine Arts: piano at home as I get a chance, art at enrichment co-op,

Health and Fitness: homeschool swim and gym, fitness games at enrichment co-op

Other: Salsa Spanish and Mango through the library

We're gradually transitioning into 1st grade, so it will mostly just be moving ahead to the next level, with a few new things added in.

Singapore 1b, or wherever we happen to be by then. MEP and Miquon for variety.

SOTW 1

ES Biology

FLL 2

WWE

AAS - 4+

Memory work: catechism, scripture, etc

Art: How To Teach Art to Children, looking at famous artists

Music: The Story of series

Reading: Read Alouds, he'll continue reading aloud and to himself fiction, poetry, non-fiction

Song School Latin

Geography: finishing Beginning Geography

Math: Singapore (should be mostly done with 2A when we start first grade) 2A - 3A, maybe Beast, and Life of Fred Elementary. Math Mammoth sheets as needed as well.

LA: AAR2 and 3, AAS 1 and 2, FLL 1, HWOT K, minor copywork, literature that goes along with SOTW.

History: SOTW 1 with the activity book and outside books.

Science: The Human Body, Space, Plants and Animals, and maybe one other topic (likely Dinosaurs if DS choses).

Foreign Language: May start some basic Hindi and he'll continue to work on learning Hebrew and Jewish culture.

Part of my plans depend on how much he is reading by next year.

Phonics: OPGTR or AAR

Literature: Various picture and chapter books

Writing: WWE 1 if he is ready

Math: R&S 1 or/and McRuffy

*History: Elemental History "Adventures in America"

*Science: WTM w/ animals and Human Body and HOC Plant lapbooking

*if we decide to do history and science this year.

I don't know if we're going to be calling it first grade or another year of kindergarten, but right now it's looking like:

Math: Singapore 1

Reading: Phonics/Reading Pathways & ETC

Language Arts: WWE 1 & something workbooky, maybe Language Smarts?

Science: RSO Life Science

History/Geography: Daily Geography & tagging along with Sonlight C

Math: Life of Fred Elementary & Singapore 1A (already starting this one) and 1B maybe getting through 2A

Phonics: PR1 alternating days with WWE1 and Explode the Code

Handwriting: HWT

Science: Zoology 3

History/Bible/Geography/Lit: TOG year 4

Spanish: La Clase 1

Logic: Lollipop Logic Books 2&3

Music: Childrens Music Journey

Somewhat undecided here. Currently we are doing LoE Foundations. We will perhaps go to Essentials after that (which we will perhaps finish this summer or the fall) or maybe do beta testing of the next level if it is available. This will cover our penmanship, grammar, spelling and phonics.

So:

Language ARts: LoE Essentials OR LoE Beta of next level (if available)

Math: RSB or ?? I used RS w/ ds but I'm undecided if I will go the same route with dd. I have considered Math in Focus but haven't looked at it too closely yet.

My first grader will be doing:

An Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading

Pathway Readers

Writing with Ease 1

Handwriting Without Tears

First Language Lessons 1

Math Mammoth 1

Spelling Workout A

Kumon Math

Latin vocabulary and chants

History and science she will join her 4th grade sister's lessons. Story of the World 4, states and capitals study and physics for science.

We school with the calendar year, so right now we're doing 1st grade work.

Math: MUS Alpha--just finished all the addition facts today!

Language Arts: ABeka phonics/reading, handwriting (cursive), spelling and poetry, and language for 1st gr. I plan to switch to FLL, WWE, and AAS for the spelling and language portions when we get back from a visit to America; and just keep ABeka for handwriting and reading.

Bible: reading through OT in a children's Bible

History: SOTW 1 and AG

Science: SCM 106 Days of Creation Science. We're almost on the unit for the 4th day of creation, and loving it!

Foreign language: Xitsonga

Art: Drawing w/ Children--this is difficult for me to implement. Come Look With Me for picture study.

Music: Meet the Orchestra + music highlighting specific instruments

We'll read Abeka's 1st grade health reader when we're done with Meet the Orchestra.

We're using Living Memory to help with some memory work, as well as the Westminster Shorter Catechism for Children in Bible.

Love reading everyone's lists!

Here's what we're currently using for 1st:

Math: SM 1A/1B and BJU 1

Reading/Phonics: AAR/ETC (also used a good bit of R&S Phonics 1)

History: read-alouds about our state

Bible: CLE Bible 1 + Get Wisdom

Science: ACSI 1 as a starting point, lots of library books

Grammar: Scholastic Grammar 1

Writing: no formal writing...

Here's what I'm thinking right now for my rising 1st grader:

Math: Continue RightStart C (we'll be starting this soon), LOF for fun supplement

History: Sit in with older sister where interested/appropriate for 2nd year US History (post-civil war to present)...he's super excited to learn about the World Wars

Science: Sit in with older sister for BFSU 2, other interest led topics as he requests

Phonics/Spelling/Reading: Finish Logic of English Foundations if we're not done...maybe start LoE Essentials after that??? Plus daily reading practice. Listening to lots of read alouds too of course.

Handwriting: Not sure, but we need to do something. He "knows" (I think) how to write all the lowercase letters but hates to do it (he writes mostly in upper case). I haven't pushed it this year for K, but I would like to move him toward nicer handwriting next year in 1st

Writing/Grammar: Not planning at the moment on doing anything formally in 1st with these subjects, unless he really wants to

Extras: Twice a month co-op for art/gym/science, probably a homeschool recreational gymnastics class, maybe other recreational sports opportunities. Maybe consider starting guitar lessons if his hand size/maturity warrant it (older sister is taking guitar lessons, but he has a hard time handling the guitar right now).

MM finish 3 and head into 4 before Christmas

FLL 3

Horizons Handwriting 2

History (my own mix of SOTW, MOH, Builders of the Old World, and living books)

Apologia Zoology 2 and the book list from SCM

Memoria Press Lit 2

Home Art Studio and Artistic Pursuits

Piano Lessons

Gymnastics

In the spring we have soccer and summer swimming lessons

He also wants to build a life sized trebuchet this year with my older ds and my dh.

He also says he's studying Latin this year and Hebrew either this year or next year, but that's up to him and I'm not adding it to the lesson plans.

• 1 month later...

This is my plan (so far)...

Math

Singapore Primary Math 1A and 1B and supplementing with Mathematical Reasoning B and Math Mammoth.

Dreambox for Fun

Reading

MCP Plaid Phonics Level 1

MCP Comprehension Plus Level A

ABC Reading Eggs for Fun

(Possibly All About Reading Level 1 too.. Would this be overkill? My daughter's reading ability is very behind.. So reading is my primary focus this year.).

Language

First Language Lessons Level 1

Spelling

All about Spelling Level 1 (starting in Dec.)

History/Geography

SOTW 1

Evan-Moor Daily Geography Grade 1

Writing

HWT

Draw Write Now

Science

Mr. Q's Life Science Curriculum

Extras

Cheerleading and Swimming lessons once a week.

Any suggestions?

FLL 1

WWE 1

ETC

DEAR time

CLE Math

Daily Geography Practice

McRuffy Science

History Odyssey Ancients (or SOTW 1 and AG, torn about this) (with her brother)

God and Me Devotions for Girls

AWANA

Discovering Great Artists (with her brother)

Joy of Handwriting Manuscript to correct some letter formation

Abeka Health Grade 1 (just read it)

Lollipop Logic

Salsa Spanish (with her brother)

listen to various kinds of music, perhaps try to keep a beat with music

Dance, softball, other activities

Geez, that sounds like alot. We won't do everything everyday though.

Wow, I am laughing as I write this - I feel behind! I find this funny because my son was always so far ahead and we were very ambitious in first grade. Now, we seem to be on the opposite end of the spectrum. :)

DD will be finishing up Heart of Dakota's Little Hearts for His Glory and moving into Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory. This will include: Singapore 1A/1B, OPGTR, A Reason for Handwriting A, and the scheduled weekly grammar and spelling, history and science.

:) I've already changed my original plan a few times since February!

We'll be finishing up OPGTR in late September. Hoping to finish in July!

FLL 2 four days a week I added Evan-Moor's Language Fundamentals, Grade 3. We'll do grammar 5 days a week, but I'll let her choose between FLL and Lang. Fund. each week.

WWE 2 four days a week I added in Evan-Moor's Daily 6-Trait Writing, Grade 1. We'll do writing 4 days a week, but I'll let her choose between WWE and Daily 6-Trait.

ETC 5 four pages a week We haven't aren't going to finish 4 this year. Next year we'll finish 4 by doing one page 2-3 times a week.

Two pages a week from MCP Phonics level B. (I'm going to skip pages that I don't think are necessary - a lot - and we'll finish in December. Then we'll just stick with ETC instead of doing three workbooks, like this year.) I picked out a few more pages to do this year, and then we're dropping it.

This year, we did the human body. So for first grade we're going to just be doing animals and then plants. We'll be using the first half of Mr. Q's Life Science and a kids' nature encyclopedia. I'd like to do a lot of nature walks and maybe a nature journal. I'd also like to follow her lead and go in depth with a few animals of her choice. Still doing nature journal/walks, but instead of Mr. Q we'll be using Evan-Moor's Daily Science (grade 2) and Read and Understand Science (pick and choose from grades 1-2 & 2-3) and not solely focusing on animals.

We'll be on the second half of SotW 1, but I'm going to move slowly and make it last until March. Same thing with grammar stage ancients CHOLL. We're going to take all year to finish reading through SotW 1. We'll do some of the CHOLL books.

In April/ May, we're going to do a unit on Little House in the Big Woods. I am SO excited about this I'm not sure if we'll do a whole unit on this. Just read it together and enjoy it. Plus, Charlotte's Web and some other really great books on my list.

We'll continue with MM (blue series 1-3), doing two pages a day, four days a week. Family Math and math games on the other day. I went ahead and got the Light Blue Series. I was getting tired of picking pages from the different blue books. We'll be finishing up Grade 1 in early spring and starting on Grade 2.

Possibly Rossetta Stone for Spanish?? Also watching movies in Spanish and Salsa videos. Still do Salsa videos, but no Rosetta Stone yet. I found Elementary Spanish on Discovery Streaming!

Math: Singapore 1a(nearly done) and 1b

Science: BFSU, some nature study and unit studies as well

Art and Music: Art will be free, exploring mediums and famous artists; music is dad lead piano and violin.

Reading/Language Arts: Dd can already read pretty well, so I have been slacking on our phonics. We will finish 100EZ and Phonics Pathways. Continue daily reading and through in a author study or two. We will also put a bigger focus on spelling this year, AAS with supplemental lists from Zaner Bloser.

Geography: homemade curriculum featuring books and maps. We will go state by state this year and do a short study of each one. Focus on map drawing, state capitol memorization.

History: This is our US history year, we won't be starting SOTW until later in the year (December, I imagine). Lots of books and musuems for this.

Other:

Cursive writing.

Memory work.

My DD is in K til January next year, however she has already begun first grade work. I have no idea where she'll be by next year - we will just keep going. Here's what she is doing now:

Math: Horizons 1, Singapore 1b

Reading: Some of Grade 3 Sonlight Readers

Own handwriting, spelling and copywork

Occassionally do DoDEA Grammar

Science: BFSU

History: SOTW1

Geography: own studies - have been studying explorers and their trips recently

Art and Music: own - whatever takes our fancy

Dance Classes (weekly)

Homeschool Group presentations (once a month)

Things I would like to add in First Grade include a writing programme and an extra class (music/art/a sport)

I thought about posting this the other day! :)

Ive already ordered a few things but our big order will be placed soon. Im 99.99% sure this is what we are buying...

Reading: Finishing up OPGTR then just reading everything we can :)

Spelling: SWO A& B

Writing: WWE, and Zaner Bloser Grade 1

Bible: Telling God's Story Year 1

History: SOTW 1 +References

Math: Saxon Math 1 (I worry she will finish this half way through the year like she did Saxon K)

Science: R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey Life (Level 1)

Green Thumbs

+ References and a ton of science kits (Butterfly Garden, Owl Pellet, Grow A Frog, you get the idea)

Dover Art Postcards

Music: Color the Classics: Godly Composers

Bastien Piano Primer A

We won't consider ourselves officially in 1st until January, but here's what I've got planned, assuming things go well between now and then:

Five in a Row

phonics (hodgepodge of stuff)

handwriting

Singapore 1A-1B

We'll start spelling and maybe FLL when I feel like we're ready.

First grade for the oldest will begin July 1st. The plan:

Language Arts: FLL 1 and WWE 1

Math: Saxon Math 2, plus math adventure books and games

History: RC History's Connecting With History Volume 1

Science: Elemental Science Biology for the Grammar Stage

Geography: Evan-Moor Daily Geography grade 1

Logic: Mind Benders and puzzle games

Latin: Getting Started With Latin

Art and Music: variety of resources for artist and art study, listening to classical music

Literature: selections from Angelicum Academy's Good Books list for first grade

And religious study through My Catholic Faith Delivered.

Current plans...

HOD Beyond w/ Some WP AS1 books/projects added in

Finish up ARFH A, maybe do B or start cursive...

Apologia Zoo 1

Finish AAS 2, hopefully 3

DITHOR 2nd Grade Readers

Piano, Ballet, Tap

Artistic Pursuits 2

Singapore 2A/2B + supplements ;)

Logic Safari

... Possibly R & S English 2

My 1st grader is already reading really well, so no phonics for us, just reading.

Spelling: AAS 1

Math: Singapore 1b, MUS Alpha as review (leftover worksheets from older sib) and math facts practice, start of MUS Beta

Grammar: FLL1

Handwriting: A Reason For... level A

Latin: Song School Latin (done with older sibling)

Science: Apologia Astronomy (done at co-op)

History: Beautiful Feet Early American History (done with older sibling)

Music & Art done at co-op

My big girl is a first grader. Here are the main programs we are currently using:

Bible: BJU Bible Truths and various kid's devotionals

Math: about to start Singapore Math 4, CWP, various books like Penrose the Mathematical Cat

English: BJU English and Spelling 1, readers

Science: Chemistry using Basher Books and library books, Mr Q's Life Science

Handwriting: BJU English and Kumon Writing books, pen pals

History: BJU Heritage Studies 1

Other: PE, art, music, reading, read alouds, health, cooking/baking - all done without curricula