Menu

Books while on vacation, yes or no?

Bang!Zoom!

Getting ready to go on vacation for two weeks, the thought went through my mind not to take any books to read at all. That's a pretty novel idea for me. Would I survive, would I like it? How about giving up the net too while I'm at it?

No net

No books

No reading

I cannot fathom giving up the camera though.

Or I could try something like harlequin romances by the pool. I haven't done that since I was 17..lol....

Should I try this experiment? Would you?

Guest inoubliable

I would go insane.

Wait. Is there a beach involved? I could probably get away with it if I were spending massive amounts of my vacation time asleep on the beach.

Ya, beach type atmosphere. Plenty of stuff to see.

I wonder if I would go through withdrawal syndrome. Is that possible? It does give me a strange clammy hands reaction just to think about this. Would I panic at the last second after the car door is shut and I'd beg to go back to fetch just one?

Could I make it 12 hours without a book at hand? Could you?

The Vero Beach Book Center is one of my favorite places to visit when we go to the beach. I love to sit on the beach and read in the sun. Or sit by the pool an read. I read everything from breezy novels to some heavy non-fiction. I love to read on vacation because the rest of the year I am either reading to keep up with my own kids or the junior and senior English classes at my school. So at the beach I read whatever strikes my fancy.

I've bought strange books at little beach shops before. Not sure what's with that, but a book from a beach shop seems to have a different sort of stick in your brain type fuzzy warm memory.

I feel a special fondness for those stories. I remember jimmy buffet as a beach experience, went and had a few margaritas and didn't put sunscreen on purpose, just to get that stupid tourist glow on the first day...lol.

I can see me having a nervous breakdown and running to the first Hudson store and breaking line just because I'm such a wimp. I haven't read any new fiction in a hundred years.

That would not work for me! Vacations are excellent times to read stuff you don't like to admit you read. I recommend The Book of the Dead by Preston and Childs. It fake -cerebral; you can almost pretend you're not reading twaddle.

The book noted is the last in a trilogy, which I did not know when I read it. Fwiw, I don't feel the need to read the first two, as the book stands alone. I started their book Riptide, but didn't finish. Fun enough, but not anything that can't wait until another vacation.

Why? Why would you want to go without books? I'd go literally insane without anything to read. Unless you plan on taking your e-reader. But even when I travel with e-reader, still take along a book or two. No I couldn't make it 12 hours without a book to read. Even if I only ended up reading for a few minutes amidst all the activity, it helps me to not be cranky with the family.

Well, I was wondering what it might be like, you know..to like seek the present moment...find it..and stay there. This does present some opportunity to attend with eyes open. I wonder if it add to the now-ness of life and conversation.

I think I read too much sometimes.

Then I think about Milton. What would Milton do?

Getting ready to go on vacation for two weeks, the thought went through my mind not to take any books to read at all. That's a pretty novel idea for me. Would I survive, would I like it? How about giving up the net too while I'm at it?

No net

No books

No reading

I cannot fathom giving up the camera though.

Or I could try something like harlequin romances by the pool. I haven't done that since I was 17..lol....

Should I try this experiment? Would you?

You might as well just stop breathing while you're at it. :scared:

On my last extended trip, I took only books I had been avoiding or otherwise hadn't gotten around to for years. I got a lot read at 2 am when I couldn't sleep due to time zone difference. On my next long trip, I'm thinking maybe Moby Dick. Or War and Peace. Or the Handbook of Nature Study. I think an ereader of some sort would be the perfect item -- all those heavy books, in one thin little device!

OP - I'm really, really trying to understand what is prompting you to consider this.

As I try to get inside your head on this one ( :tongue_smilie: ), I'm wondering if you want to leave the books at home in an effort to experience more on your vacation? Is your thinking that if you have nothing to read, you'll make more of an effort to see/do/experience on your vacation? If yes, I can understand that. But even on my most adventurous, action-packed vacations I still brought along books.

If this is your objective, how about making a deal with yourself that you'll only read in the evenings or for a certain amount of time a day? Then you could experience all there is to experience on your vacation and enjoy your reading time too. :)

Well, I was wondering what it might be like, you know..to like seek the present moment...find it..and stay there. This does present some opportunity to attend with eyes open. I wonder if it add to the now-ness of life and conversation.

OK. *This* I can understand. Trying to be present in my own life is one of my ongoing challenges. However, it's not a problem I typically have on vacation. That's one of the reasons I travel--I'm much more present when I do.

However, there's really no reason to be present for a trans-Atlantic flight. :-P

I agree with an earlier poster that perhaps limiting your reading would be better than eliminating it all together.

OK. *This* I can understand. Trying to be present in my own life is one of my ongoing challenges. However, it's not a problem I typically have on vacation. That's one of the reasons I travel--I'm much more present when I do.

However, there's really no reason to be present for a trans-Atlantic flight. :-P

I agree with an earlier poster that perhaps limiting your reading would be better than eliminating it all together.

That's why god made Xanax and Bloody Marys.

It seems like day to day life is all about information intake for all of us. It's all this printed and screen communication. So many words all the time.

On any average day, we have about what feels like a maximum of 15 minutes total of eye contact in a semi human state, then back on the hamster wheel. It seems like there is a chance to put this away for a bit, and without a book to distract me, even for fun, maybe I would appreciate something more.

But then I think of how it is to fall into a really good book, in a nice place, in the quiet before dawn with amazing coffee and bird song...and that sort of falling in love with a passage is its own magic. You know that thing that happens... You glance up from a page and go....

Hey how did I get here?

The dreamer in the dream zone.

While I understand the be in the moment thought, it is not all moments on a vacation that you want to be in. If you are flying for hours or driving for hours, you might as well use those times to catch up on reading. We always pack books when n vacation though we might not read everything. I have had to tell my dd1 a couple of times to stop reading and enjoy the moment when I feel she is not paying attention to what is going on. It's always a balancing act.

Ok - I definitely don't read enough in print lately, so I can't exactly relate there. I do know what you mean about embracing the now and finding some sense of zen about your surroundings, family, connecting to actual humans, etc. I work on that daily, truly. We just were on a vacation in January that involved a bunch of hiking as a family and I found it very centering and lovely.

I love to lay in bed at night with a book though, so that's where I'd have to draw the line!

I understand and fully support the idea of mindfulness and being in the moment. However, as others have said . . . Being in the moment when you're doing something really cool and memorable is one thing. Attempting to be fully in every moment of a long drive or plane ride . . . . nah.

Plus I have to read at least a few minutes before bed every night. It's part of my "sleep hygiene" ritual.

One of my fondest vacation memories was the week my family spent at a friend's borrowed beach house....no one made me go outside and I was able to read the entire LOTR books for the first time while curled up in a beanbag chair in a dark bedroom. Heavenly!

Vacation w/o books? What kind of vacation is that?????

I usually go through a whole book at the airport and/or on the plane, especially a long plane ride over an ocean. I don't sleep on planes. Planes don't make me nervous. I have had to buy books at an airport gift shop because I finished a book before we even arrived at our destination. That is why I have an ereader now. I also love to read on the beach in between swimming and playing with the kids.

I can understand being in the moment as you said. The problem would come if you took a book along to the museum or zoo or movie and ignored everyone and read instead. I remember going to the movies once and there was a couple there, both with noses buried in their books and didn't stop reading until the movie started. There's a time and place to read. Vacations are fun times with the family and yes, your family should expect you to be fully present. However, you need downtime as well. And if reading helps you relax, then read when you are all in the relax mood. We always build plenty of down time into our vacations so we can just read and just relax.

To give another perspective, reading is actually another form of mindfulness practice. You need to have the ability to turn off your mind and your surroundings, to focus absorbing the printed word. That's not necessarily simple for everyone. And there are definitely days where I read the same page 3 times before I come into focus. So consider it part of your mindfulness training. :D I'm not a person who could read on the beach or out in public much (on an airplane - definitely), so maybe if you do decide to bring books, maybe limit your access. Don't take one with you when you leave your hotel.

For me, part of the point of a vacation is to find MORE time to read books. But definitely no Internet, and having a camera is a must.

A vacation without books is not...a vacation. o_0

I think you are certifyably insane! No Internet..absolutely, of course. But no books... That's just crazy talk!

Once again, why?

(I'm seriously curious. Why would you want to give up books on vacation?)

Okay, I have to stop before I multi-quote practically everyone! I simply cannot imagine a vacation without books.

I can see this being a goal if you find yourself missing out on the moment, missing out playing with your children amd communicating verbally with others due to a reading addiction. I am one that can become addicted to a book series and not surface to reality for three days until I finish all those books. When I do resurface mentally, the house is trashed, laundry is neglected and my family feels neglected as well. So, if taking one book on vacation would prevent you from taking part with your family, then absolutely leave the books at home! I myself have to really limit my readings or it would consume me.

No book? Why? :huh:

We read books at restaurants while waiting for the service and for the meal. We talk amongst ourselves too, including discussing what we are reading.

We read books on the airplane, and while riding in the car.

We read books before turning in for the night's sleep.

At barest minimum, we would have to bring prayer books for morning/evening.

Books would not interefere with our having an active, engaged, interactive-with-others vacation.

If I were to ditch anything, it would be the cell phone. (Perhaps I could turn it on once per evening, just to check for messages that the house had burned down.)

I can't imagine not having books. What will you do when you're not doing anything? Our cruise last fall was 13 days, plus 5 days in Rome. I read 4 books (on my Kindle) in that time and I assure you, I missed nothing. I didn't take a book with me when we went ashore, but in the evenings, before I went to bed I read and when I was hanging out by the pool (in the shade, because I'm ridiculously pale) I read. We had several at sea days and I would have gone bonkers without books. I did very little online activity, except to email James Bond every few days, so that wasn't a big deal, but books? No.

When we were in WDW in the States last year I brought my Kindle too. I like to read in the evenings while we're winding down. I enjoyed every moment with my family, but my mind would have gone flat if I didn't have something to do during those down times.

I usually always take books with me on vacation, but we recently came back from Hawaii and I didn't take a single book. And I didn't have time to read anyway. I didn't take any with me because we tried to fit everything into one carry-on each and I needed room for souveniers on the way home. I figured if I needed a book, I could go buy one. As it was, there was a B&N a mile away from the condo, but we were either in the water, doing some activity, or driving to an activity. We also had plenty of downtime, but I spent that time hanging out and enjoying my kids (21, 18, 15) and my brother, with whom I'm very close. So in this case, I didn't miss it, but usually I want some books with me. :)

I caved. Bought two used books to throw in my backpack. Fiction, which is unusual for me.

The Floating Book by Michelle Lovric and The Master, by Colm Toibin.

I think these two will get me to LAX, after that, I'll be without anything but the Sky Mall magazine ... I'm sure the iPad and Kindle will be dead by then.

Do they even have chargers on planes?

I'm feeling panicky.

Kindles last a long time, and you can recharge them in airports. DD and I hung out in a corner charging both the iPad and Kindle on our last transit and the charges held the whole trip with that one boost.

A vacation without books is a disaster waiting to happen. DH and I take a book or e-reader everywhere. They are our insurance against delays. The gods are always conniving against us mere humans, and we always encounter perfect reading opportunities (read: delays) when we are stupidly without reading material. They are part of our "go to sleep" routine, and sometimes part of the wake up one too.

Could I make it 12 hours without a book at hand? Could you?

I'll be sleeping all the way there while hubby drive. Than happily taking photos and videos of my boys collecting shells and building sand castles. After that looking for places to eat yummy food and just take in the local scenery.