Menu

HPV shot for teens. Yes? No? Why or Why not?

Hot Lava Mama

Doc suggested this shot for teen during annual check up. I declined. Doc gave a "lecture" about how important it is.

What does the hive think? I remember reading something about some negative side effects along with the fact that the shot is really new, made me think we should pass.

If you are yes or no, please tell me why and how you determined your answer.

Thanks so much.

Hot Lava Mama

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't have teens yet, but I've already decided my kids are not getting this shot. The risks outweigh the benefits IMO (reports of deaths, serious vaccine injuries, etc.).

I realize the safety of this vaccine may be improved by the time it is suggested for my kids. There are other reasons I believe the benefits are negligible, even if the substantial safety risks are addressed (e.g. the vaccine only provides protection against 4 of the 13 HPV strains that can lead to cancer).

There's a lengthy thread on it here (from May 2012): http://forums.welltr...is-vaccination/

We don't have teens yet, either, but, barring any major results from NIH studies about the vaccination, we will vaccinate.

Yes, I am aware of the vaccination controversies.

1) I have followed the autism/vaccination controversy. Reading about it makes me believe in vaccinations (and question controversy following vaccinations) more than ever.

2) There is also a really good chapter about the flu virus and vaccination in the mid1970 written about in Laurie Garrett's book The Coming Plague. Again: correlation is not always causation.

3) Vaccinations provide herd immunity. Those who choose to vaccinate undergo a minor risk for the good of the herd (for our community). Those who choose to not vaccinate shirk that minor risk, and by doing so, put others at risk. Some cannot be vaccinated (allergies to eggs, etc). I choose to do my part to protect them. You may choose otherwise.

4) I had a friend who had cervical cancer at age 19. No 19yo should have to go through that.

Disclaimer: by the time of vaccination, I would expect my daughters to have informed consent. If they feel strongly that they do not want the vaccine, we will delay it.

Don't have teens yet, but I've already decided my kids are not getting this shot. The risks outweigh the benefits IMO (reports of deaths, serious vaccine injuries, etc.).

I realize the safety of this vaccine may be improved by the time it is suggested for my kids. There are other reasons I believe the benefits are negligible, even if the substantial safety risks are addressed (e.g. the vaccine only provides protection against 4 of the 13 HPV strains that can lead to cancer).

There's a lengthy thread on it here (from May 2012): http://forums.welltr...is-vaccination/

Completely agree. We will pass.

We vaccinate. My kids will be getting it when the time comes. The sources I looked at show it to be safe. I believe vaccination to be one of the greatest scientific advancements in history, saving millions of lives. Flame away, haters. :D

We're with you.

I went to a funeral of a woman who died from the cancer which develops from HPV a couple of weeks ago. She was 35. I've known her since she was 19. Her mother works in my dh's office. She (the mother) has been telling dh how important this vaccine is.

I also went to the funeral of my youngest ds's first grade teacher 5 years ago. She was 24. I know her mother still has not recovered -- every year she sends presents to my ds, apparently working with ds (he has disabilities) had special meaning to her dd.

My oldest has had the first shot -- I think it's a series of 3. I am waiting with dd. Of my dc if one of them will have a reaction it will be her. I told dh that is why I am waiting. One does not need the shot at 12 as recommended. 12 is an age where most people are not yet s--- active. dh and I discussed this and decided we can put off dd having the vaccine for at least a year. He really wants her to have the series before she leaves home, but putting it off a year won't prevent that. It is likely that we will wait to do the series until she is a senior in high school.

I think there is some documentation of side effects, but in terms of percents it is low. If dd had not previously had issues related to a variety of things I wouldn't give it a second thought. I didn't give it a second thought with ds.

We do vaccinate. If I had to make a choice today, we would not do this one as I believe there are too many unknowns with it. I will reconsider when my dd comes of age because I don't like to say "never". My current thought is no way, though.

ETA: I should say we "selectively" vaccinate.

My wife is against our DD (she is 12) having this shot. By coincidence, today, I received an email from the company that owns the supermarket chain we do most of our shopping in. They also have a Health Plan. The email said they will be charging about USD$50 for this shot. We are going to pass on this one.....

We vaccinate. My kids will be getting it when the time comes. The sources I looked at show it to be safe. I believe vaccination to be one of the greatest scientific advancements in history, saving millions of lives. Flame away, haters. :D

I agree. It is a 2-shot deal, and my son had a bad reaction to shot 1, and so we didn't go back for the follow up shot. First time I had done that.

No.

• Cervical cancer is rare.
  • The strains protected by this shot are even more rare.
  • Deaths from said strains are still more rare.
  • If you already have HPV when you get the shot, the shot increases your risk of cancer. The drug's own marketer admits this. Their recommendation is to test for HPV before giving the shot, but do doctors do that? I've never heard of them doing it.
  • HPV and its effects can be prevented by means other than the vax.
  • The vax side effects are too significant to just blow off. They might be worth it if all of the above were not true, but not for a very rare condition caused by an otherwise preventable STD.

ETA: I would prefer to have a test for HPV that is accessible, and if you have HPV, then monitor more closely than otherwise (PAP or whatever).

No. We are middle of the road vaccinators...we do a delayed schedule for my daughter and youngest, my oldest is no longer vaccinated as his father has an autoimmune disease and it is known to run in families. Vaccines could be a trigger for him to develop it. But none of my kids will get this vaccine. HPV is usually cleared by the body. (I've had it.) And it can be detected with yearly screening, which you need anyway. Meanwhile the vaccine has been linked to various things I'm not comfortable with.

No.

• Cervical cancer is rare.
  • The strains protected by this shot are even more rare.
  • Deaths from said strains are still more rare.
  • If you already have HPV when you get the shot, the shot increases your risk of cancer. The drug's own marketer admits this. Their recommendation is to test for HPV before giving the shot, but do doctors do that? I've never heard of them doing it.
  • HPV and its effects can be prevented by means other than the vax.
  • The vax side effects are too significant to just blow off. They might be worth it if all of the above were not true, but not for a very rare condition caused by an otherwise preventable STD.

ETA: I would prefer to have a test for HPV that is accessible, and if you have HPV, then monitor more closely than otherwise (PAP or whatever).

HPV tests are available and accessible. I just had one this past week. The new standards say that you only need a Pap every 5 years if you have normal Paps, are in a monogamous relationship, and your HPV test is negative. I went for it in order to avoid Paps for another 5 years!

Some more info to consider...

From the U.S. National Institute of Health (NIH) Cancer Institute:

What is the association between HPV infection and cancer?

High-risk HPV infection accounts for approximately 5 percent of all cancers worldwide. However, most high-risk HPV infections occur without any symptoms, go away within 1 to 2 years, and do not cause cancer. These transient infections may cause cytologic abnormalities, or abnormal cell changes, that go away on their own.

http://www.cancer.go...tsheet/Risk/HPV

From the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC):

High-risk HPV types are detected in almost all cervical cancers; approximately 70% of cervical cancers worldwide are due to types 16 and 18.

[8] While persistent infection with high-risk types is considered necessary for the development of cervical cancer, it is not sufficient because the vast majority of women with high-risk HPV infection do not develop cancer. [9-11]

Most HPV infections are transient and asymptomatic, causing no clinical manifestations. Studies have shown that more than 90% of new HPV infections, including those with high-risk types, clear or become undetectable within two years, and clearance usually occurs in the first 6 months after infection.

[11]

http://www.cdc.gov/v...chpt05-hpv.html

IMO the HPV vaccine is (at least in its current formulation) a very high risk vaccine that protects against what appears to be a very low risk infection.

I am very pro-vaccination, dc have been vaxed on schedule since they were babies. However, like another poster said, this one has too many risks for too little potential benefit. We will skip it.

Same here. We've always vaccinated right on schedule. We haven't skipped anything, and I believe in vaccinations. That being said, I don't see the need for this one at this point. I discussed it with my daughters' doctor (oldest DD is 12), and she supports my decision and said that I can choose to do it later if we change our minds.

Some more info to consider...

From the U.S. National Institute of Health (NIH) Cancer Institute:

What is the association between HPV infection and cancer?

High-risk HPV infection accounts for approximately 5 percent of all cancers worldwide. However, most high-risk HPV infections occur without any symptoms, go away within 1 to 2 years, and do not cause cancer. These transient infections may cause cytologic abnormalities, or abnormal cell changes, that go away on their own.

http://www.cancer.go...tsheet/Risk/HPV

From the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC):

High-risk HPV types are detected in almost all cervical cancers; approximately 70% of cervical cancers worldwide are due to types 16 and 18.

[8] While persistent infection with high-risk types is considered necessary for the development of cervical cancer, it is not sufficient because the vast majority of women with high-risk HPV infection do not develop cancer. [9-11]

Most HPV infections are transient and asymptomatic, causing no clinical manifestations. Studies have shown that more than 90% of new HPV infections, including those with high-risk types, clear or become undetectable within two years, and clearance usually occurs in the first 6 months after infection.

[11]

http://www.cdc.gov/v...chpt05-hpv.html

IMO the HPV vaccine is (at least in its current formulation) a very high risk vaccine that protects against what appears to be a very low risk infection.

Thank you for posting the links here. We are still undecided about this vaccine, and are at least a year or two away from having to decide for our DC.

Can anyone else share links that have helped you decide one way or another?

We do vaccinate and my kids have been vxed across the boards. That said, my 12 year old boy is due for a well check (trying to wait until flu season is done), and I'm probably going to decline this particular vaccine for a couple more years. He's a late bloomer (tiny - 72 lbs) and I don't anticipate issues with waiting. We'll be following the data in the mean time.

We do vaccinate, and my children have received all recommended vaccines - except for this one. We will at least postpone it, because it is too new, there are reports of severe neurological side effects which have not been explained to my satisfaction, and because the huge advertisement push by the manufacturer does not inspire confidence in me.

More research is needed.

http://sanevax.org/d...r-coincidental/

http://www.judicialw...-tied-gardasil/

A doctor involved in the development of the vaccine herself is critical:

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-500690_162-5253431.html

We will not. Dh and I were (or are) both scientists and are not comfortable with them. They do not have a long study, and there have been many deaths and neurological problems from the vaccine.

This! Except for the part about being scientists - we're not.

We vaccinate with almost everything else - but this one, no.

HPV tests are available and accessible. I just had one this past week. The new standards say that you only need a Pap every 5 years if you have normal Paps, are in a monogamous relationship, and your HPV test is negative. I went for it in order to avoid Paps for another 5 years!

I totally agree with you - however not all doctors are on the same page about this. In Florida, my doctor did this - in Virginia the doctor acted like he had never heard of such a thing and I was making it up - when I pressed he admitted to not buying into the data and this office was a "leader" of ob/gyn's in the area. So, my point is, that in some areas the test may not be accessible or accepted.

No, we will not be getting this one for any of our children. Aside from concerns about this particular vaccine's safety, we have several children with allergies, including one with some anaphylactic allergies, which make me very uncomfortable with that vaccine (or others), especially for that child. Our doctor did not mention it specifically at the last checkup, which was recent; she just asks me to sign a waiver if I decline vaccines.

When they're a little older and can have informed consent and are at a slightly higher risk for stuff, then we may consider it.

This particular vax just screams long term side effects to me. Like the "safe" drugs they gave pregnant women in the 70s that caused severe birth defects, I just see a huge likelihood of fertility issues with this one in the future. It hasn't been tested enough, it's been pushed for political reasons, it has a history of severe side effects....

No. Not for us. We'll teach abstinence and educate our children so they can make an informed decision as married adults, (hopefully to spouses who also practiced abstinence).

We shall not authorize this vaccine for dd. (Nor would we have done so for our sons, all of whom now are adults.) Her pediatrician started in on this about three years ago. I told her it is a closed question. I'm not flaming anybody. It is for families to choose "yes" or "no." We do vaccinate, selectively, although were we to be going through this all over again, we now would accept fewer of the available vaccines than we did those many years ago.

I haven't gotten through this whole thread yet, but wow: Haters? So if I disagree with you about vaccination, then I automatically hate you? I suppose if I disagree with you about any number of issues this also automatically makes me a hater? Are *you* a hater because you disagree with *me*? Works both way you know.

Yeah, I might be just a bit cranky today....off to read the rest of the thread...

~coffee~

No, and we mostly vax. This one is (as others have said) too much risk for too little benefit, and other ways to prevent HPV. The way things are pushed through the testing system makes me nervous, and the side effects from this one are not mild like some of the other/older vaccines. Plus, I figure anything that has to be marketed with such a hard sell is something people wouldn't likely want on it's own merits.

No flames here, but I still haven't decided if ds will get it or not. We fully vaccinate, including the flu vaccine. His pedi doesn't recommend it until age 16 unless you know (or strongly suspect) your teen is sexually active. I have a few months to make a decision. :)

OK, so here comes my "hater" opinion: as you can see from my likes, I agree with those who have said that the vaccine has not been around long enough, has too many troublesome side effects, and really, only works for some kinds of cancer. I am the parent of my children, not some pushy politician, drug company, or even pediatrician.

And for the record, I am NOT anti-vaccine! But just like when the varicella vaccine first came out when DS was little, I am waiting to see more long-term data. I do not do HepB either. The things that HepB is designed to prevent, are NOT applicable to a newborn, thank you very much!

~coffee~

We vaccinate, but my daughter will not be getting this one. Like others have said, I feel like there hasn't been enough testing and that the risks outweight the benefits. That said, I have talked to my daughter about it (she's 14) and she's done her own reserch and said she didn't want it. I told her that when she gets older, if she decides she wants it then it is up to her.

no way. too many problems reported. I think the only reason they started pushing it on boys was becasue they weren't getting enough girls to do the shot. the market is aimed at teens, not twenty-somethings.

If your child is NOT sxually active, I can't see any logical reason why they'd need it. if you're honest with yourself, you should have an idea if your child is truly living your standards or just paying lip service.

No. No way.

I feel the risks from the vaccine are too great and when my oldest's doc was pushing me to get it, there were still clinical trial posters for it all over campus at the same time. Felt like it ran through way too fast for me to even consider it could possibly be safe. The negative reports I've read have made me comfortable with my choice.

Doc suggested this shot for teen during annual check up. I declined. Doc gave a "lecture" about how important it is.

What does the hive think? I remember reading something about some negative side effects along with the fact that the shot is really new, made me think we should pass.

If you are yes or no, please tell me why and how you determined your answer.

Thanks so much.

Hot Lava Mama

No. That one has had numerous bad side effects. And it is only minimally effective against 4 out of 100 kinds of disease, if I recall correctly. Just not worth the risk.

I haven't gotten through this whole thread yet, but wow: Haters? So if I disagree with you about vaccination, then I automatically hate you? I suppose if I disagree with you about any number of issues this also automatically makes me a hater? Are *you* a hater because you disagree with *me*? Works both way you know.

Yeah, I might be just a bit cranky today....off to read the rest of the thread...

~coffee~

To throw the label of "hater" at someone is to dismiss the person without giving any creedence to his/her opinion. It shuts the conversation down.

Yes, to call someone a "hater" means that they hold an opposing opinion and you have no logical response to defeat it, so you bomb the conversation.

So, the emotional person will call someone who say, doesn't approve of the way the RCC handled sex abuse claims a "hater", instead of acknowledge that there were many problems. Or someone who doesn't vaccinate/or does. Who doesn't approve of redefining marriage/or does. Who approves of the President's policies /or not. You can go on forever.

Not a tactic I like to see.

Not for us. (And we generally do vaccines on the AAP schedule.)

There's just too much conflicting data and not enough of a history to be sure that the positives outweigh the negatives, or if it even does what it's supposed to. My dc are at very, very low risk for HPV at this point. As they get older and the risk becomes greater (though we'll always teach and recommend behaviors to minimize risk), and as more data becomes available, we'll include them in the discussion/decision. For now, we (and their doctors) aren't sure that the perceived benefits aren't overshadowed by possible risks.

I TRIED that but the first time the sample spilled and they couldn't run the HPV test. So..........I went in for ANOTHER test a few weeks later but that was a NO GO as I started spotting on my way there :glare: (should have checked the calendar first) It was a good plan but I wasn't going to do it for a 3rd time in less than a month............just to avoid going next year.

We vaccinate on a delayed schedule back when the girls were younger. For now I am holding off on the HPV one as they are not at a high risk at all. I want more time and data on this one first before doing the shots.

I need to see if our foster daughter has had the shots. If not, I will take her as for her with her lifestyle it would be important.......sad to say.