Menu

Could someone(s) pray for my son

sbgrace

I posted on another thread that my 8 year old hit his head this morning. He's getting worse as time goes on including more frequent vomiting, dizziness, lethargy, etc.

I'm hoping someone will pray the doctors, and my husband, have wisdom. He's at the pediatrician's now. I'm not sure he shouldn't be at the ER. I'm just terribly anxious. Could you please pray for my son?

Still praying here -- and if you think it's necessary, have the doctor's office call 911 and get your ds to the ER immediately. (I don't know how it works in your area, but where we live, if he goes to the hospital in an ambulance, he won't have to wait in the waiting room -- he will be seen right away.)

Thank God you are already at the doctor. Doctors aren't perfect, but the doctor should know what to do, and what the real warning signs are. If you feel like the doctor's missed something after you leave, by all means take him to the ER.

I will be praying for your ds.

The pediatrician's office is sending him for a CT. The doctor told my husband she really believes it is a severe concussion but the CT is a precaution. The pediatrician told him to call me and tell me he's stable and she thinks the persistent vomiting (he's thrown up 4 times in office), twitching, and other things are all still consistent with a concussion. She's reassuring. I'm a mess. My mother is with them too.

Try not to worry. Those symptoms are consistent with a concussion. The funny thing about head injuries is that the ones that are very symptomatic are usually not as severe as the ones where the person says they feel fine afterwards. Particularly if they feel fine after a serious bonk to the head (ie. running into a tree on skis vs. a hit on a hardwood floor from falling off a chair).

Not being there, it's hard to make a judgement call, but based on what you've said, he needs to be transported. How far away is the hospital? And do you have a Children's Hospital nearby? That's your best choice.

Is he conscious?

I did ask the doctor/via my husband if they would call 911. She said he was stable and they would make sure he was seen right away. The hospital is across the street. He is conscious and can answer questions. Children's is almost 2 hours away so that's not an option. You asked in the other thread where he hit his head. I don't know. He doesn't remember anything about it (or even previous to it) and I wasn't there. I could hear them playing and heard the thunk but didn't see it. My other son can tell me what they were playing and said he pushed him from standing and he hit his head but he doesn't know where on the head. He said top and then front and then I don't know.

I feel like I messed this up. I should have had him seen right away when it happened. I shouldn't have listened to the nurse.

I did ask the doctor/via my husband if they would call 911. She said he was stable and they would make sure he was seen right away. The hospital is across the street. He is conscious and can answer questions. Children's is almost 2 hours away so that's not an option. You asked in the other thread where he hit his head. I don't know. He doesn't remember anything about it (or even previous to it) and I wasn't there. I could hear them playing and heard the thunk but didn't see it. My other son can tell me what they were playing and said he pushed him from standing and he hit his head but he doesn't know where on the head. He said top and then front and then I don't know.

I feel like I messed this up. I should have had him seen right away when it happened. I shouldn't have listened to the nurse.

Nope. No second guessing yourself. You called the nurse. She gave you advice and you followed it. Nothing wrong with that.

You watched your son and followed your gut. He got in and is being seen. You did a great job in this situation!!! Hang in there.

:grouphug: Praying!

Try not to worry. Those symptoms are consistent with a concussion. The funny thing about head injuries is that the ones that are very symptomatic are usually not as severe as the ones where the person says they feel fine afterwards. Particularly if they feel fine after a serious bonk to the head (ie. running into a tree on skis vs. a hit on a hardwood floor from falling off a chair).

Thank you for this information. Head injuries are my greatest fear.

Praying. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

And you didn't mess up! You listened to the nurse and then you decided to go ahead and get him looked at. You listened to your mommy voice! That one that tells us when something is not right. I really hope everything is okay. A severe concussion- poor baby! :sad:

:grouphug: Praying!

Thank you for this information. Head injuries are my greatest fear.

You're welcome. Of course all head injuries need to be checked out if there is vomiting, unconsciousness, unequal pupils, memory issues or lethargy, but those are the symptoms of a concussion. Even if there are no symptoms, and a child was hit in the temple....he/she needs to be seen. It is an emergency if the child is having trouble breathing, there is clear fluid leaking from either the ear, nose, or mouth, the children has slurred speech, the child can't see, there is paralysis of any kind, he/she has a seizure, or the child can't move his neck. In that case, call 911.

You did NOT mess up. You did everything right. You called the nurse and took her advice, but when you had doubts, you took further action.

I know you're going to blame yourself for everything, because it's a normal Mom reaction, but honestly, none of this is your fault, and you handled the situation perfectly.

Thank you all for replying and for prayers.

The CT was clear! The pediatrician said it's a concussion. He's still vomiting but that's just part of it. He's not unsteady on his feet anymore and has no memory impairment other than not remembering the incident or the time just previous. That is normal for concussion. I'm feeling better but I so wish this hadn't happened. I'm going to be paranoid about my boys playing now I think. They play very rough and tumble. I really never thought twice about it.

The doctor said he needs to be inactive--not just physically but also mentally. They want the brain to entirely rest. It's not just screens and schoolwork restriction. She doesn't even want him reading a book or being read to! Right now he's sick and tired but that's going to be hard. I'm supposed to call tomorrow morning to let them know how he did tonight. I will ask then how long until I can at least read to him.

I wish he would stop throwing up. He hasn't had anything since 11 and I don't think he could hold anything down. He resting between being sick.

Oh, sweetheart, don't beat yourself up.

I'm praying and sending you my strength.

(((Hugs)))