Menu

Anyone doing a no spend January?

Runningmom80

I have a little part time job and I get paid every Wednesday. I will get 5 checks next month and I would like to save most of those to pay off the Visa. My checks are our spending money and pays for the odd unexpected things. Hopefully nothing weird will happen next month, LOL.

Dh and I just discussed this last night. We are planning on doing it for Jan and Feb! I received a check from MIL for Christmas that I'm going to use for my and dd's haircut next week (I haven't had a haircut in over 2 years). The remainder of the check is going to our savings. We are trying to build up the $1000 emergency fund per Dave Ramsey.

I have not really participated in these No Spend things before, but I think I am gonna give it a try for January and February. I am not sure I will actually accomplish it fully only because if I find something for a clearance price - I stick it in a gift box for later. BUT... I can certainly try not to spend on other frivolous stuff. I can try anyway - try being the key word here.

We're doing one over here. No spending except for the regular things, such as gas, groceries, and the monthly bills. No malls, 1 fast food a week (we are on the road ALL day, and it's the only fast food of the week). But everything else is a NO. I have to be careful at the grocery because it is similar to Walmart and has lots of other stuff. JUST groceries!

That's the plan for us as well, mainly because it'll be a "No income" month for us. Most of our bills are on autopay, so outside of those bills I'm giving us $100 cash to replenish milk & a few fresh fruit & veg. that we don't have in the garden. I'm aiming to keep our petrol costs to under $200 (half what we normally spend.) We have a full pantry & freezer, so we won't starve, but by the end of January the menu will be much more limited. I've informed dh & dc, that we will only eat what we already have, so NO complaining. Ds#2 is doing his bit to help & is going fishing each afternoon. So far he's caught 2 fish each time :hurray: . I've been making a loaf a day in the breadmaker & that's gone by night, but at least it gets eaten & is not going moldy in the humid summer weather. This should save us $1000-$1200, just by staying out of the grocery store & the fast food drive thru. I wish that was going into savings, but at least we will be less in the red than we would otherwise be. If our "No Spend" January goes well, I plan to make all odd months "No Spend" months, aiming for ~$6000 saved over the year.

As January is our summer holidays, I'm also focusing on decluttering & aim to sell excess books, etc. if possible. What I can't sell, I'll give to goodwill. I really want to have my living space in order before school begins 1st February. Dh is planning on finally getting our long-planned renovations finished by mid-year & whatever order I can put in place now will help to keep me sane during the up-heaval of home improvements.

Accountability will help me to stay focused when things get tough.

I'm always up for tightening the budget!!!

We will try not to spend beyond "normal" bills and weekly grocery expenses. Our family does go out once a week for our family lunch out. I'm not going to change that though.

And my van needs four new tires, which I'm going Monday to order so that is already budgeted and accounted for this month.

I'm in! I'm trying dry hard to cut down my grocery budget, meal plan, and not buy anything extra. I'm hoping to get my budget down by $40 per week so I can afford an extra riding lesson for my dd. this gives me $120 for everything, food, toiletries, paper goods, pet supplies. I'm trying to only use $100 on our regular groceries, and put $20 into a 'stock up' envelope. That way, when I see a great deal on something, like yesterday when turkeys were down to $.39/lb, I can buy extra and stock up on the great deals.

Thinking about it. Awhile back we had to use our savings and don't have anything really in there. we are fine but going paycheck to paycheck and i don't like it and neither does my husband.

This is where we are. I opened an ING orange account last week and put a whopping $25 in there LOL. My goal is to have my emergency funds for 3 months living expenses in there, so we have a long way to go; we need about 9,000.

I need to, but I have a horrible habit of justifying my spending. Are no-spenders allowed to have a small amount budgeted for just spending money? With each paycheck, we all get an allowance. My goal is to actually stick to it and not justify spending over. We do not expect anything other than groceries and regular bills/expenses. It would be nice to have money left over at the end of each pay period to put towards our Visa which got used more than we expected in the past few months.

This is where we are. I opened an ING orange account last week and put a whopping $25 in there LOL. My goal is to have my emergency funds for 3 months living expenses in there, so we have a long way to go; we need about 9,000.

We really should have some "emergency funds" given that we almost didn't get paid last year when the government wouldn't approve the budget. We are military. It was scary, thankfully though I had gotten an annuity payout and they came through and paid us. I was really worried especially since my husband was out to sea.

We really should have some "emergency funds" given that we almost didn't get paid last year when the government wouldn't approve the budget. We are military. It was scary, thankfully though I had gotten an annuity payout and they came through and paid us. I was really worried especially since my husband was out to sea.

We're military also and were really worried about this last time. We really should have started an emergency fund but, life gets in the way and it was really easy to forget that we almost didn't get paid!

Well ing is easy to set up and there is no minimum, so you might consider that! Running mom, are you starting the weekly threads?

Sure! I'll do one tomorrow, and then on Sunday's. How should we do the threads? Are we posting what we spend daily? I'm looking to everyone else for input, I'm not sure how it's worked in the past. :)

Well ing is easy to set up and there is no minimum, so you might consider that! Running mom, are you starting the weekly threads?

If the weekly threads are new threads, please put a link on this thread so we can find the new thread. I need the accountability to keep focused. Thanks for starting this thread.

We used to use ING for our kids' savings accounts when they had a great interest rate, but they tanked (~1% last time I checked), so we switched to our local credit union which gives them 6% on their first $500. Now the kids get about $20-$30/year in their savings accounts, compared to virtually nothing with ING.

Unfortunately we have a very "spendy" January - new school supplies and uniforms, ob/gyn prepay for baby, newish stuff for bubs as we got rid of everything when we moved (carseat, diapers, clothes), OT apts, may have to get DS9 a laptop for school depending in what his OT and his school say. With bubs due in Feb. I see it being a "spendy" month again. Maybe March....

I'm in!

Gas and tolltag are not an option as hubby needs to get to work.

Hubby is a HUGE eating-out addict. Drives me NUTS. He'd eat out every meal if he could afford it. (we cant)

So when I do no-spend months, I wear myself out trying to make "nice" meals that are completely from teh fridge/freezer/pantry so he doesn't complain about not eating out. (it doesn't work, he complains anyway....)

The only thing we ARE spending money on is movie tickets to the Hobbit tonight.

Dyslexic son worked very hard to read the entire book, and I made the promse to him that if he finished the book, we would take him to see the movie. So no matter what, I am going to take him.

The only thing we ARE spending money on is movie tickets to the Hobbit tonight.

Well, it's still December so you're good!! ;)

I just said out loud, "Hey, it's still December, I could get my Conciliar Press order in today!" DH rolled his eyes.

Guest inoubliable

Well, I want in! I had planned on picking up DS7's science curriculum for next year sometime in the next two weeks since Mr. Q's sale is then. Beyond that, it should be nothing but bills, petrol, and groceries. I already did the long-overdue haircut, the Urgent Care thing with prescriptions, and we had to replace broken wipers on the van. DS7's birthday is 1 February, but I shouldn't actually have to spend anything *in* January for that. Is paying off a credit card, or catching up on late fees counted? It's not a regular bill at all, but I'm hoping that it happens this next month!

I am curious how this works. How do you handle things like the following?

• New tires ... do you wait a month, or does that count as a bill?
  • Curriculum - we are about to finish WWE and will need the next one.
  • Gift Cards - can I use them on 'fun' stuff?
  • Vitamins ... I don't really 'need' them, but I feel better when I take them.

I am a MASTER of justifying everything. I would love to know what others do with those things that come up occasionally?

Yes. Ish. We have some big, unexpected bills coming up that will take up most of our discretionary spending through the end of spring, and a birthday present for me in February (a nice Dutch oven, DH has made a nice present non-negotiable).

I am curious how this works. How do you handle things like the following?

• New tires ... do you wait a month, or does that count as a bill?
  • Curriculum - we are about to finish WWE and will need the next one.
  • Gift Cards - can I use them on 'fun' stuff?
  • Vitamins ... I don't really 'need' them, but I feel better when I take them.

I am a MASTER of justifying everything. I would love to know what others do with those things that come up occasionally?

There may be different interpretations, but I see the 'no spend' as cutting out fluffy spending. What you've listed above seems necessary to your way of life. Gift cards that were given to you are not included because you aren't spending your own money. They are gifts! It's no different than someone handing you a sweater, IMHO.

Anyone doing a No Spend Feb? We have that planned (as usual) ... Jan is a birthday month for us, and any spend-free plans are out for us.

Our spend free Feb is the month we try to eat out of the pantry and freezer, buying only fresh foods as necessary. No major purchases, no fun purchases. No eating out. Aaaack. I admit to hating it! At least Feb is a short month. :)

Anyone doing a No Spend Feb? We have that planned (as usual) ... Jan is a birthday month for us, and any spend-free plans are out for us.

Our spend free Feb is the month we try to eat out of the pantry and freezer, buying only fresh foods as necessary. No major purchases, no fun purchases. No eating out. Aaaack. I admit to hating it! At least Feb is a short month. :)

If we survive January, I plan to do a "No Spend" month every odd month (ie January, March, May, etc.). If life gets difficult, I'm aiming for at least January & July being "No Spend" months. Staying out of the shops should save us at least $1000 / month & that will add up quick. I'm thinking that by planning for a "No Spend" month, I'll make better purchases to prepare, so that we don't run out of necessary items like toilet paper, soap, etc. I hate running to the shops for 1-2 items as I never get out of the door without at least 1-2 bags. Planning is key for me as Fail to Plan = Plan to Fail.