Menu

If you celebrate Christmas, do you send Christmas cards?

MtnMama

Christmas Cards?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be sending Christmas cards this year?

• Yes
    • No
    • Obligatory Other (explain please)

I have always sent Christmas cards to friends and family. For the past few years, I have noticed that I receive fewer and fewer in return. This year I'm wondering if it's worth the effort. Have Christmas cards gone the way of the dodo bird? Will you be sending cards this year?

I send out an e-mail with a Christmas letter and pictures to those that I have e-mail addresses for. There are about 25-30 people that I send a card to. We have a huge family and lots of friends from living in different places across the country and cards just got to be too much stress.

For the most part, I just send to people who send one to us. For us, that's extended family, a couple of friends that still do cards, and old family friends that I've known since I was a kid. We do send to a couple of relatives that don't send one themselves but I know they like getting a yearly photo of the kids. I like getting update photos of kids in the family, the yearly non-boasting update my uncle writes, and in general getting mail that isn't just bills and junk. We have a short list so it's not a lot of time or money spent on our part, either.

I have always sent Christmas cards to friends and family. For the past few years, I have noticed that I receive fewer and fewer in return. This year I'm wondering if it's worth the effort. Have Christmas cards gone the way of the dodo bird? Will you be sending cards this year?

I will send cards to people on my list - about 15 or so with wishes for a blessed Christmas and a Happy New Year.

These will be just cards and no "Christmas Letters" to recap our wonderful year. I have a rather allergic reaction to those. I really cannot explain it. I see that it makes sense to keep family and friends updated even though in the age of information technology, it hardly seems necessary.

Yep, I send out about 50. In fact, I just printed my address book out a few minutes ago so I can start filling out the envelopes. I love to send/receive Christmas cards!

I like to receive them more than send them. :)

Cards that is, not the long letters where some people congratulate themselves on all their accomplishments of the year.

Yes..... To about 50 families. We only send to family & friends who we do not live near or the list would be way too long. And we do send a letter, sorry if that offends some of you as some seem to find it obnoxious. I LOVE receiving letters with updates, and even more, receiving pictures. I use the pictures to create a collage for the last page of the year's photo album :tongue_smilie: .

Yep! And I send a letter! I make a very concerted effort not to be obnoxious though and it isn't about "look how cool we are" but more about, "here's what we've been up to and we hope you are well." This year our letter was pretty personal and we didn't send too many out.

I only sent 40 this year, mostly to family. I figure people I'm only FB friends with don't really need another picture of us and those people who don't see frequent updates from us could use more than a picture. :)

I usually do photo cards, but those aren't happening this year because I am too pregnant to do family pics or to prod (bribe) my reluctant children into posing for them :D. Instead it will be baby announcements after the new year.

I love love love photo cards. I save mine and put them in an album. It's fun to look through and see how families have grown and changed over the years.

Yes. I've skipped years. One year I made it half way through, and didn't send any to people at the end of the alphabet. I like to think it keeps people on their toes -- they never know whether we're going to send something or not.

Some years we send handmade cards with a photo inside. This year is a photo collage of various stuff we did in the past 12 months. I'll include a note in them. Hmm, it occurs to me that all the photos have appeared on my blog -- maybe I could give people the blog address and have a contest to see if anyone can find all of them.

One of our friends sent 4 years worth of Christmas letters last year. She'd written them every year, but hadn't gotten around to sending them. It was really pretty funny.

Guest inoubliable

"Other"

We don't celebrate Christmas, but we get Christmas/holiday cards from family so we send out a holiday card. The list gets smaller and smaller every year, though. I think more of my extended family members are sending out holiday emails - and no one has our email addresses.

Yes, I've always sent out Christmas cards (and I love receiving them). We always hang them up, and enjoy looking at them through the season. I delayed in buying some this year, because I couldn't make up my mind. Turns out that was a good thing. When dh pulled down the Christmas boxes, I discovered I had already purchased some after Christmas last year! I'll probably sit down and start writing them out on Monday. I have to admit that I send them out early, in hopes of receiving more to hang up here! :blush:

Yes, I send them every year. I love receiving them and sending them as well. It really brightens my day! I put in a current 4x6 picture or collage picture of the kids in every card.

I love reading family letters from others, but I have only done a few in the past for myself. I have a hard time wording things and I don't want to feel braggy or too chipper.

It makes me a little sad that I get fewer and fewer each year. Like a previous poster, I usually keep all photos that I receive and a few very special cards.

I write a letter. I include a picture of the kids or a few pictures. It goes to about 30 people. These are pople, some extended family that I'd like to keep up with,but my life does allow keeping up so much. I alo like to get cards and letters from such people. There are some elderly extended relatives who like the letters--my mil has made a point of telling me,so no getting out of it now. I try very hard not to be either baggy or too negative.

One year I skipped. I couldn't write anything that sounded fun or happy. My each of my three dc had all had serious medical issues and it is not an exaggeration to say we were at some med appointment a least 4 times a week. I was under serious stress the whole year. I tried and tried to write a positive letter and then I cried. Thankfully, that was 10 years ago.

We've had bad times since, but I leave that somewhat vague and counter with the good things.

I have copies of all the letters I've written. I've wondered if my dc would like a set of them. I haven't figured out to make it a fun memory thing yet though

I send a card and a letter usually. I don't really get the "braggy letter" stereotype. All the letters I receive (and send) are newsy updates -- a mix of good and bad, joys and struggles. I love them. This year I'm a bit overwhelmed and so I'm just doing cards. I think I'd feel really disconnected and lonely if I totally stopped sending anything. I love being in touch with faraway friends and family at the holidays.

"Other"

We don't celebrate Christmas, but we get Christmas/holiday cards from family so we send out a holiday card. The list gets smaller and smaller every year, though. I think more of my extended family members are sending out holiday emails - and no one has our email addresses.

:iagree: Except my list has grown. We send holiday cards, and I think I am printing out 100 this year. I tend to do holiday card swaps with a number of groups I am in, but I love getting holiday or Christmas cards no matter how well I know you, they are just nice to get. We do a picture card of the kids, I have mine ready I just need to get them printed out and then start addressing the cards.

Other. I send cards but not every year. I have also sent photo cards (sometimes including fun, not-braggy newsletters and once a family-based crossword puzzle). If I do anything this year it'll be a PDF document via email except for the great-grandparents, who would get a printed version by snail mail.

I always want to send cards, but it turns into "if I send one to A, then I need to send them to B, C, D,...." The list is just too long. I don't have the time to address that many envelopes (much less track down their current addresses!).

I will usually let dd send cards to a couple friends who live far away, but that's it.

I send roughly 25 each year.

I went quite a few years without sending any. As I got older, I realized that it felt nice to receive others' Christmas cards, so I ought to start sending them too. And now that I have kids, I include a few photos to update on how my kids are growing.

We send out about 100 but only get 25 or so. But half that number is just family within one generation. Yes, it costs, but I order through vistaprint so I get a good deal. Some of the people on our list, this is the only contact we have with them. I also make small photo calendar magnets for family. We went and visited family a few years back that we hadnt seen in 10 years and they all had our magnets on the fridge. I like getting cards, specifically photo cards and wish more people did them.

I have in the past but you know what, I feel like the holidays are too stressfull and I just want to enjoy it, with my family, without accomidating others and sacrificing my own sanity, so not this year. I have to much my plate and I'm just not. I have done it other years.