Menu

Which high quality items do you buy?

I know someone who drives a BMW 4x4 but wears suits for work that come from the supermarket.

Where do you invest in quality?

I buy good clothes for work: I'm not interested in fashion and I buy classics that will last. I also buy good quality shoes and chairs: wrecked feet or backs are a miserable way to live.

Oh, and a balanced diet with lots of fruit and veg, but not organic.

I drive a Ford Focus hatchback: reliable but not flash.

Laura

First just to clarify, a supermarket in UK is not the same as in US, is it? We buy food at the supermarket. Can you buy food and suits at the supermarket?

To answer your question I put the money into good clothes, good food and good household items. I feel that I don't have to replace the clothes and household goods as often if I spend the money up front. As for the food, I'm of the mind that one pays the grocer now instead of the doctor later.

I am trying to think here .... Sometimes I buy cheap clothes, but never cheap shoes. I tend to buy high quality food items. I like good sheets but I like them crisp so I don't need the fancy 1000 thread type. I loath a silky sheet.

I finally broke down this year and bought terribly expensive bras that I adore and find worth the price.

I guess I am into my daily comfort more than splurges.

Edited by Danestress

I buy good shoes. The cheap, or even mid-priced ones don't cut it. I have to have good support.

My clothes tend to be good quality. I wear them until they die, but I can be hard to fit and stick to what I know.

I buy good foundation, Laura Mercier, because it is worth it to me. For the rest of my make-up I stick to drug stores type brands.

I've never cared about cars. We have a Toyota van. My goal is to see how many miles I can put on it. It has 176,000 right now.

Electronics, furniture, and other type stuff are not high on my priority list. We get what we need.

First just to clarify, a supermarket in UK is not the same as in US, is it? We buy food at the supermarket. Can you buy food and suits at the supermarket?

To answer your question I put the money into good clothes, good food and good household items. I feel that I don't have to replace the clothes and household goods as often if I spend the money up front. As for the food, I'm of the mind that one pays the grocer now instead of the doctor later.

You can also buy clothes there. My local Tesco is about 90% food/household goods and 10% clothes.

Laura

Knives. I can't abide crap knives. Conversely, I have spatulas from the dollar store and it doesn't bother me at all.

Oh yes, knives. I wouldn't have thought of that because we bought them once (or rather, received them mostly as wedding gifts) and they have lasted for years. But I hate cooking in other people's kitchens because their knives are generally terrible. I have been known to take my own knives with me.

I invest in things I want to last. For trendy things, I buy cheap.

I will invest in a pair of black work slacks, but buy a cheaper trendy sweater to go with them.

I invest in quality furniture, but buy cheaper detail pieces like pillows/decor so I can switch it out sooner without guilt.

Shoes, mattresses, chairs....comfort and structure is paramount.

I spend A LOt of time in my car, so it must be good quality but not luxurious. ie I drive an Accord, not a BMW.

Definitely food. Dh is always complaining about how much I spend on food, but he'd complain a lot more if we were eating hamburger helper every night. ;) I specifically pay for for decent coffee, because I can't stand the taste of the cheap stuff.

Clothing, sort of. We get all of our clothes from the thrift stores, but as we live in an affluent area, that means our wardrobes are made up of mostly Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein. :tongue_smilie: I'm not complaining.

Shoes

Food (including pet food). Although maybe that's debatable, because I've actually found a few store brand products that we like better than the higher cost name brands. Still, I wouldn't buy them if we didn't find them preferable. And I don't necessarily believe organic is better quality.

Paper towels and toilet paper

And also in the department of "cost doesn't always equal quality," we only buy Honda vehicles. They aren't expensive compared to many others, but the dependability/reliability can't be equaled, IMHO.

Cookware and Kitchen Supplies/small appliances, I always buy the best I can afford and sometimes I wait until I can afford and put money a little at a time away towards it. Such as Le Creuset pots, Kitchen Aid mixer, Zoroshi (spelling ?) bread maker, Cusinart Food Processor, Blendtec Blender. I also love good hand tools like my Kuhn Garlic press.

Some toys for kids, like good little tikes toys, lego sets, American Girl Dolls, Playmobil etc. I try and buy toys that will hold up and can be passed down from kid to kid and then to grandkids.

Homeschooling materials. I love to buy really good homeschool materials for my children. I buy the best I can afford either new or secondhand every year, I save for them and work hard to find ways to scrimp and save to afford them.

I'd say food. We buy grass-fed meat, pastured chickens, local CSA (not necessarily organic) veggies, and raw milk (sometimes). My pets eat grain-free kibble.

My clothes are inexpensive and bought from Kohl's, Target, Express, etc. I do have a couple of Coach purses that I got on sale at a Coach outlet in Carmel.

Our cars are cheap and older (and paid for).

Some furniture is nice, but lots from IKEA.

We eat out frequently, and while we rarely go to super-high-end places, we don't eat at chain restaurants, either. Back to the $$ for food, I guess! :D

Electronics - the best we can afford, which is usually name brand (we like HP). Dh is currently hunting Black Friday deals as his phone needs to be replaced. We rarely pay full retail and will hunt for a deal, but there are only certain brands we like to buy.

Shoes for dh - he has to have a certain brand as he's on his feet most of the day.

I bought this bag from Saddleback leather a few years ago, it will last forever. I'm saving to buy a satchel from them to use as a purse.

Aside from that we buy the best quality we can afford on items, which isn't always the quality we want at this point.

I do think we made a wise investment in our house. It was built in the 1920s, quality built, well cared for (mostly), and now it updated. It's not big and it's not high end, but the structure is well built. Our previous home was not of the same caliber.

My running shoes cost over $100, typically. I replace them every other month or so. Yes, this is a major splurge for me.

I buy pretty good clothes. That is such a perspective issue. For work, I love Ann Taylor Loft and in the summer, Title Nine. I HATE shopping so everything I have comes from Athleta, Loft and Title Nine. These seem expensive to me but probably wouldn't to other people.

Our food is expensive. Some of it is organic, most is not, but we are vegan and it costs more for us. We also seem to eat out a lot.

We drink good beer. We like beer from microbreweries and love to buy local. This costs a little more.

Technology is expensive and we have to keep up because of our jobs. I sort of enjoy it, too.:)

I have 2 kids in college, living on campus and in an apartment off campus. We are spending less on EVERYTHING these days...

I don't spend money on: decor and furniture, cars, gifts, holidays, or entertainment.

Shoes and coats, yes.

Also --

Instruments.

Music instruction.

Experiences -- theater, music, opera, etc.

Excellent seats for those experiences.

Body wash and shampoo.

Eyeglasses. (Considering how much one must wear them, quality is critical.)

Furnishings for the forever home.

Edited by Mental multivitamin
clarity

Food (organic), supplements, shoes. Furnishings that don't outgas VOCs, etc.

My luxury splurge: coffee, and an excellent self-cleaning espresso maker. (Jura:001_wub:)

Not a car person, but love our VW.

Oh, and Apple products. I don't mind paying a bit more for a product that works out of the box, no fiddling around with it.

Food (including pet food).

Yes. How could I have forgotten pet food. We're rather insistent about the quality of our cats' food -- and their care, for that matter.

ETA: The same could be said about *our* food and care, but I think I've always taken those utterly for granted, and I probably shouldn't, eh? Where's the gratitude emoticon?

You can also buy clothes there. My local Tesco is about 90% food/household goods and 10% clothes.

Laura

Wow! I have to say it just boggles my mind that the supermarket sells clothes. But thinking on it a bit I think I wondered into a store in Canada that does that. It was more like a mini-Sams and had a little bit of everything.

I drive a Ford Focus hatchback: reliable but not flash.

Reliable and safe. That's all we ask from our cars. They haven't any flash -- unless the moon roof in my RAV counts. I insisted on that feature, so we could use the car for our winter star "parties."

Food, definitely. While I do buy inexpensive when possible, I will spend money on organic, natural, good food. I also have a small obsession with butter, so yeah, I spend $5 for half a pound of the imported, grass-fed good stuff.

Horses and horse stuff is probably my biggest money drain, though, and where I'm really inclined to spend money on higher quality. I paid more for each of my horses than I ever have on a car. :o And while I will buy used, I usually buy top-of-the line tack and clothes and stuff and I spend a fortune on feed and supplements. However, if money is tight and/or when I'm not riding (like now because of pregnancy), I do halt the spending on anything unecessary, don't show, etc. I even sold a horse a couple months ago, which I have never done before. So yes, they are a splurge, but I am responsible about it.

Reading this, i realize I'm quite the snob. :tongue_smilie: We don't have a lot of money, so I would rather buy stuff that lasts and just buy less (except books, which are my kryptonite).

We bought a good van, because we've had bad luck buying whatever was cheapest. We really researched this one and got a deal (Honda Odyssey).

Chocolate. Not *the* best, but Ghiradelli. I refuse to eat most cheap chocolate. I buy much less of better quality.

Electronics. I buy refurbished Apple products. I can't stand the cheap quality and short life of every other non-Apple product I've ever owned (which is a lot!). YMMV

Meat. I can't stomach factory farmed meat.

Furniture. IKEA is cheaper, actually, than resale shops or Walmart here, but it's a trek to get it. And it lasts forever for us.

Kids toys. I try to make them or buy organic or fair trade when possible. I don't buy cheap toys for my kids. I would rather they have one decent toy than a lot of junk.

Suzuki violin-actually cheap except for the gas to get there and back. It's a big sacrifice for us, but this means a lot to our family.

But I don't care the slightest about clothes, makeup, skincare products, purses, dinnerware, house decorations, etc.

I also prefer to spend most on good food. I'm not at all interested in clothes, get my hair cut every six months or so, and buy the minimum of make-up. My vehicle is a VW Transporter 'bus', very practical, not at all smart. Nor am I house-proud, although DH probably prefers to spend most of his money on the house (he's been indoctrinated by his mother whose lifetime achievement seems to be her beautiful house and garden). DH does tolerate me half-filling his (our) lovely house with cheap Ikea furniture - it goes surprisingly well with his antiques (which I mostly hate) :D.

We make sure to spend good money on curriculum because we put a premium on our kids' education.

I spend extra on good quality condiments and spices, things that don't get used up in a week or so. While we can't afford organic produce every week, I'll buy the natural mustard and ketchup because it lasts longer.

For the adults who aren't going to just grow out of them in a season we spend extra money on winter coats and shoes. If it costs more but lasts for years and years, it's worth it.

We don't care so much for things. We spend our money on vacations and trips, mostly skiing and foreign travel and qualit food of course. Add to this piano lessons and concert tickets. I do have a new car (not a luxury one), but we needed to change cars. I will drive this one until it no longer rolls. Cloths don't interest me . I love books, but tend to often buy used ones.

Oh yes, knives. I wouldn't have thought of that because we bought them once (or rather, received them mostly as wedding gifts) and they have lasted for years. But I hate cooking in other people's kitchens because their knives are generally terrible. I have been known to take my own knives with me.

I now own "real knives" after 15 years of the terrible ones that my dh had when we married. I went to the Farmer's Market with dfil and the knife sharpener guy mocked me and my knives! In front of dfil! :tongue_smilie: It was so humiliating....dfil commented a few times in front of dh about my lack of quality knife-i-ness.

Result: Nice sharp knives! It must have hurt my dh's manly pride to get called out over his knives.

We buy the nicest house and land we can. Dh has a nice vehicle. He had to get it for his work. He no longer has to have it, but he got used to driving a nice vehicle. I drive a very beat-up van. I'm trying to talk Dh into letting me drive it another year or two. We generally place a low priority on vehicles because they depreciate quickly, but the guys at the office are giving Dh a hard time about my van. It has been getting to him. The kids wear mostly hand-me-downs and garage sale clothes, but if I buy new, I buy nice things. As Dd9 gets older, she is getting newer and nicer things. Ds8 has often gotten new pants, because he can't wear regular size and slims are hit and miss on wether he can keep them up.

I do spend more than I need to on kids toys and games. They have many nice things. I also spend more than most on school supplies, books, and gas. I spend a lot on fresh fruit. I get meat from my parents, though, so our food budget isn't exhorbitant.

I don't spend much money on electronics. Dh and I have very plain cell phones with very limited capabilities.

We just upgraded to better knives. Once we get the house built we will upgrade once again to a permanent solution.

When my sister lived in Spain, she went to a grocery that sold clothes. I only remember because she was so put out that the women's clothing was right next to the fish.:D

ETA: I obviously quoted the wrong thing there.

Edited by Meriwether

Absolutely toilet paper!

Also, bed sheets. I don't need 8000 thread count or anything, but I definitely don't buy lower end ones because they wear out in our house very quickly!

I don't buy store brand dishwasher soap anymore because it just doesn't work as well in our dishwasher.

Mainly I like certain brands of food items for just a few things and that's what I get! The rest of the budget has to work around some essentials which aren't really essentials. LOL I can't be too picky, but we like what we like and we make it work when possible (or I don't get the item, usually!).

Absolutely toilet paper!

Also, bed sheets. I don't need 8000 thread count or anything, but I definitely don't buy lower end ones because they wear out in our house very quickly!

I don't buy store brand dishwasher soap anymore because it just doesn't work as well in our dishwasher.

Yeah. Since posting, I realized that there are a lot of seemingly inconsequential things that begin to add up -- like toilet paper, tissues, paper towels, laundry detergent, etc.

During the lean years, I *tried* to save money by using generic toilet tissue, paper towels, and whatnot. But it's not a savings if it takes a fistful of generic to do the job of one towel from a brand.

Shoes and coats, yes.

Also --

Instruments.

Music instruction.

Experiences -- theater, music, opera, etc.

Excellent seats for those experiences.

Body wash and shampoo.

Eyeglasses. (Considering how much one must wear them, quality is critical.)

Furnishings for the forever home.

Am I permitted to quote myself? (*wry grin*) Over lunch, I discussed this with the Misses and, in text messages this morning, I discussed it with my husband. We agreed that the easier question to answer might be "For which purchases is quality (perhaps better read as "luxury") not the first consideration?"

For us, the short answer on that would be cars (safety and reliability are critical; luxury is not) and, in a way, the forever home. In the latter, we sought comfort, safety, reliability -- and a sense of solidity, permanence. But we purchased *well* below our means for two key reasons: to prepare for a stable retirement (hence, a smaller house and a manageable bit of property as we age and (most important) no debt) and to ensure that we had the means to support all of those other interests that do mean so much to us (e.g., the aforementioned instruments, lessons, tickets, etc.).

Getting back to the original post, the juxtaposition of a cheap suit and an expensive car is jarring, really, and hence, interesting. It has been my experience that "statement" purchases are often indicative of a "statement" lifestyle (i.e., one that is assembled for others to notice). Someone in a tony car and a cheap suit, though -- what's he/she conveying?

Interesting stuff here. Thanks for the thread.

Getting back to the original post, the juxtaposition of a cheap suit and an expensive car is jarring, really, and hence, interesting. It has been my experience that "statement" purchases are often indicative of a "statement" lifestyle (i.e., one that is assembled for others to notice). Someone in a tony car and a cheap suit, though -- what's he/she conveying?

Interesting stuff here. Thanks for the thread.

... that he had bought the car to keep up with the neighbours. Maybe his neighbours don't care about clothes, or maybe he himself doesn't 'see' the difference between a cheap suit and a more expensive one, whereas he can appreciate the status tied up in the car.

Laura

Shoes, eyeglasses, vacuums, and carseats are the only things I could think of where we buy quality over price (and some electronics). I do prefer to buy quality clothing secondhand versus buying cheap clothing at Walmart. I have no idea what that says about me!

... that he had bought the car to keep up with the neighbours. Maybe his neighbours don't care about clothes, or maybe he himself doesn't 'see' the difference between a cheap suit and a more expensive one, whereas he can appreciate the status tied up in the car.

Or, as is the case with a few relatives, that the car purchase was too far above his means; or, as is the case with so many acquaintances, the car was purchased during one sort of financial climate, and this, well, this is an altogether different one, isn't it?

Or, as is the case with a few relatives, that the car purchase was too far above his means; or, as is the case with so many acquaintances, the car was purchased during one sort of financial climate, and this, well, this is an altogether different one, isn't it?

He seems to be doing okay in the recession - his job is stable and I would say that he had been at a similar income range for the last ten years or so.

Laura

He seems to be doing okay in the recession - his job is stable and I would say that he had been at a similar income range for the last ten years or so.

Laura

Well, then, yours is the best answer -- he perceives the status / value of one and not the other... which is why this thread is so interesting: What does each of us value, when a choice is required?

... or maybe he himself doesn't 'see' the difference between a cheap suit and a more expensive one, whereas he can appreciate the status tied up in the car.

This is probably it.

About 10 years ago (before house prices increased drastically here) there were many people in our area who had status vehicles that were worth more than their houses! This always completely baffled dh and I.

ETA: What was even more baffling was that these people were taking out 20 year mortgages on their houses, but paying their cars off over 5 years.

Edited by Hannah

Organic foods

Wood furniture, or invest in the raw material and custom make it ourselves, which can be a little costly and time-consuming

Expensive flats, because it's not worth trying to break in a pair

Just recently, compostable 13-gallon garbage bags from Biobags. Please tell me I'm not the only one.

Soon, organic turkey, although DH doesn't see the point.

Cooking appliances! Vitamix, 2 juicers, canner, enough jars and lids to fill a store, wheat grinder (electric & manual), nice pots and pans, gigantic thermos, bosch mixer, solar ovens, & dehydrator.

I would like a really nice manual grinder. The ones we have are actually pretty cheap.