Menu

Girl name help?

We found our fourth child will be our fourth daughter!

We seem to be having more difficulty coming up with names for this than the first three. I wanted to get the Hive's opinions on some though.

If it helps, the first three are:

Natalie Jade

Gabriella Joy

Savannah Juliet

Here are some ideas we like for first names:

Liberty

Trinity

Charlotte

Harmony

Leah

Autumn

Harper

The middle name needs to be a J name. Here are some ideas we had:

JoAnne

Joanne

Jacklyn

Joelle

Jewel

Jessica

Justice

Jillian

Journey

Janae

J'Aimais

Middle names we have already ruled out for various reasons include the following:

Jade

Joy

Juliet/Juliette

Jean

Jennifer

June

Jamie/Jamey/Jaime

Janelle

Joan

Please share if you have other ideas we might like for either first or middle names, and please share what combinations of first and middle you like. I will try to keep this post updated as we see more names we like. :)

FWIW, our current front-runner is probably

Charlotte JoAnne

Edited by tntgoodwin

FWIW I had all boys so never got to name a girl :) But I like Charlotte Jewel. Charlotte is much less trendy than some of the others on the list. There are some really nice nicknames for Charlotte if you fancy nicknames. I like Jewel because it inspires me with the idea of a treasure. Charlotte is the name of my mil. Unfortunately she doesn't recognize anyone these days...but I always thought it a beautiful name.

In case you don't want a popular name, here is some information that may come in handy:

In 2011, Charlotte was the 27th most popular name, according to the Social Security Administration. It has been rising in popularity since 2007, when it ranked 102.

http://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/popularnames.cgi

http://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/names2000s.html

I mention this only because we named our daughter Olivia in 1994, and at the time I thought it was an unusual name. We know a lot of girls named Olivia. The kids named our dog Aidan, which I figured had to be an unusual name, not that my opinion mattered. There are a lot of boys named Aidan. It drives the dog nuts when people call their sons, and they don't mean to call him.

I think I like Charlotte best, especially with your other girls' names, but I also think Harmony flows nicely with them too.

Before I finished reading your post, I thought Charlotte Joanne was pretty, as well as Harmony Joanne, or Harmony Joanna. (I love Joanna; if DD's middle name wasn't Anne, I'd strongly suggest Joanna for a future DD.)

A friend has a little girl named Jordyn, and I love it too. Even with that spelling, I would pair it with a very feminine first name -- not Harper Jordyn, which I think is more ambiguous. But Charlotte Jordyn is pretty.

(Also, I love that you have a "Joy" -- that's my middle name, and I have always loved it so very much.)

I like Charlotte best of the first names. I surprised myself by liking Jewel best of the middle names. But I don't think Charlotte Jewel necessarily goes together. I don't think Charlotte really goes with a J name. You need a name like Marie or Ann.

So if you work backwards from the J name. Autumn Jewel maybe too much.

We found our fourth child will be our fourth daughter!

We seem to be having more difficulty coming up with names for this than the first three. I wanted to get the Hive's opinions on some though.

If it helps, the first three are:

Natalie Jade

Gabriella Joy

Savannah Juliet

Here are some ideas we like for first names:

Liberty

Trinity

Charlotte

Harmony

Leah

Autumn

Harper

The middle name needs to be a J name. Here are some ideas we had:

JoAnne

Joanne

Jacklyn

Joelle

Jewel

Jessica

Please share if you have other ideas we might like for either first or middle names, and please share what combinations of first and middle you like. I will try to keep this post updated as we see more names we like. :)

FWIW, our current front-runner is probably

Charlotte JoAnne

Before I even got to the end I was already loving Charlotte JoAnne! :)

Hey, I was going to say Charlotte! ;) We have a Charlotte. And Charlotte JoAnne is very pretty.

Of your list, I love Charlotte (of course), Harper and Autumn.

And I haven't read the thread, but I hope someone besides me has mentioned Jane as a possible middle name. I love the name Jane!

Harper Jane?

Awwww, now I'm jealous! Three girls just aren't enough. Big congratulations!

ETA: Now that I've read the thread, I see the poster above me suggested Jane. I like Janey, too.

Edited by Alphabetika

Carolina Jean

Try Jaclyn for a middle name ...or Jean or Jeanne

Charlotte Jean :-)

I will update the first post, but there are a handful of middle names we have already ruled out for various reasons, and Jean is one. :)

Great feedback and ideas everyone, keep them coming!

Charlotte is much, much, much too trendy for my taste. I know so many little girls named Charlotte (6 in my close friendships, and that isn't including extended friends). Also, Harper is gaining in popularity and several celebrities have recently named children Harper.

I love the name Harmony. We actually have it on our perpetual list but someone pointed out to me that between kids and pets we have had a Willow, a Riley, and a Cordelia, so naming another child Harmony would make people think all the others had been names after characters in Buffy, the Vampire Slayer.

So, I go with Harmony Jewel

Eleanor Jane.

I like to be a bit non-conformist. I love Charlotte, but it really is going the way of Emma, Sophia, and Olivia (all great names, btw). My BFF from middle school is seriously considering Harper. I love it, but I think her middle name would just have to be Lee. Maybe Harper Jean? You don't happen to be Southern, do you? Harper Jean would totally fit in the South.

Also, Wendi is a fabulous name. Just saying;).

I'm okay with Charlotte; I think it's going to get trendy. I want to agree with the suggestion of Evelyn. We have a little Evie in our parish who attends sometimes and she's a darling. Evelyn Jane.

:iagree: Oooo, I love Evelyn Jane. That would go perfect with my brood should the next one be a girl.

Hands-down Charlotte. It's on *my* short-list for a fourth girl. (There's a .00001% of that happening.)

The name is not as rare as one would think. If that affects your decision.

We did have a hard time naming our fourth boy. The first 6 are family names. We just ran out of good names when our last came along.

Something to keep in mind - Charlotte is feminine for Charles. So there is the possibility of somewhere someday someone nicknaming her Charlie. Then someone else may decide to shorten Charlie to Chuck or Chuckie.

While I adore my nickname and prefer it over my given name (which is an alternate form of feminine for Charles), not everyone will want their daughter known as Charlie or Chuck.

Of course this could be all for naught and you've already decided to nickname her Lottie.

Something to keep in mind - Charlotte is feminine for Charles. So there is the possibility of somewhere someday someone nicknaming her Charlie. Then someone else may decide to shorten Charlie to Chuck or Chuckie.

While I adore my nickname and prefer it over my given name (which is an alternate form of feminine for Charles), not everyone will want their daughter known as Charlie or Chuck.

Of course this could be all for naught and you've already decided to nickname her Lottie.

So far we haven't called our Charlotte any of the obvious nicknames. But there's a woman who comes to our library storytime whose daughter is named "Charlie Grace." I asked her if "Charlie" was short for "Charlotte" (because despite its apparent popularity, I've not met another young Charlotte) and she looked at me like I was nuts! "No, it's Charlie."

Not a problem. I have played around with saying "Charlie Jo" as a nickname for Charlotte JoAnne.

Having a good nickname is nice. We have a Nat (or Nat-Nat), a Gabbie, and a... Savannah. I wish sometimes we had a good nickname for Savannah. We did talk about calling her "Jules" (from Juliet), but we haven't really done that often.

Also, loving the suggestions and opinions everyone! We don't mind a fairly popular name, but we don't want one of the super popular choices. All our other three were between 17 and 50 ish on the popularity charts the years they were born (at least on one website).

And my wife and two oldest daughters are all Texans, and the third daughter shares a name with a city in Georgia, so Southern-sounding is fine with us. :)

I have added more to the OP (mostly middle names).

Your 3 girls names all end with a vowel sound. When I went through your list of names, I thought the ones that continued that theme sounded better with the others than name ending in a consanent sound. (my 3 girls all end will the a sound so I will admit to being biased)

But here are a few other suggestions

Melanie

Callissa

Samantha

Melody

Cassandra

Marissa

About the only J name I could come up with is

Jasmine