Menu

What is the bitterest truth you've learned?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...I have no idea. I think I'm too much of a Pollyanna for most of this. I always expect things to get better than they are, and I honestly try to see the good in everyone. I love being happy waaaay too much to be bitter with life. :D

Oh I am not bitter with life; I just recognize that life holds some bitter truths.

No. I have one. Sure, we have our disagreements and we can annoy each other sometimes, but it is a remarkably happy marriage. Not a fairy tale. A real one.

I'm glad to hear people have them. But it isn't true in my family and that of all of my extended family. I'm sure they happen , but that might as well be a fairy tale for my world, kwim?

In general, "people" are out for themselves, and will F$^$ you over if they get a chance.

I learned this our first several years owning a business. The vast majority of business relationships are just fake B.S. People are out to get something from you ALL THE TIME.

There are exceptions, of course. But, in general, TRUST NOONE (in business).

Sad, but true.

No. I have one. Sure, we have our disagreements and we can annoy each other sometimes, but it is a remarkably happy marriage. Not a fairy tale. A real one.

:iagree: Happy marriages DO exist. No marriage is happy ALL the time, but I am gloriously blessed with a strong marriage to a wonderful man. I didn't deserve it, still don't deserve it, but somehow, I am blessed to be one of the rare lucky ones. I do know it is rare. I do know. (And, I am saddened frequently to observe the many less happy unions all around me.)

Wow...I have no idea. I think I'm too much of a Pollyanna for most of this. I always expect things to get better than they are, and I honestly try to see the good in everyone. I love being happy waaaay too much to be bitter with life. :D

:iagree:There is a lot of sad reality in the pps but just reading the thread title (more than once) nothing sprang to my mind.

ETA - Regarding happy marriages, we have one too. An awesomely, awesome marriage better than I deserve. Dh and I say we have it and there are a few other couples we say have it too, not that we can define it.:)

Edited by Happyhomemama

Oh I am not bitter with life; I just recognize that life holds some bitter truths.

Actually, I find acknowledging the bad in life to be very positive. I know too many people who run from it, while I was raised to think it a mature trait to be able to admit something negative without being snowed under by it.

And I am a very cheerful person. I was taken aback, as I said in the OP, to see promising people become mean or bitter or drunk or defeated.

:iagree: Happy marriages DO exist. No marriage is happy ALL the time, but I am gloriously blessed with a strong marriage to a wonderful man.

When my mother was 89 years old, she told me she'd has 38 years of a wonderful marriage, and then 30 years of a not-wonderful marriage. I did the math. It was the year my father retired and all the kids were gone. I think that without kids in the house, she lost what she'd lived for (they had a child under their roof for 37 years, and a preschooler for 24 of them), and I don't think she would have predicted that when she was, say, 45.

It is a sobering thought.

I'm sorry you have had that experience. I think I'm so inconsequential to most people, no one would bother to step on me when I was down. Too much effort.

Oh, I don't think it matters at all who it is. People just like to feel superior to someone, even a random someone who means nothing to them.

That I am the source of my own undoing; my depression, my pitfalls, my flaws. I would love to blame it on anything else, but really, it all comes down to me. I cant blame anyone....it's a really bitter truth.

But like all bitter truths, once you own it, you have the power to chose what you want to make of it. So now I know I am my own worst enemy, how then shall I live? It's scary but empowering.

When my mother was 89 years old, she told me she'd has 38 years of a wonderful marriage, and then 30 years of a not-wonderful marriage. I did the math. It was the year my father retired and all the kids were gone. I think that without kids in the house, she lost what she'd lived for (they had a child under their roof for 37 years, and a preschooler for 24 of them), and I don't think she would have predicted that when she was, say, 45.

It is a sobering thought.

Yeah, no kidding. That's pretty scary to envision.

That people can be very selfish, say they have your back 100% and things will always be good between you, and then show their true colors and walk away from you in your darkest hour.

I am not a bitter person, and I am forgiving. It was a hard reality to discover someone I thought was similar in thought was actually very bitter and extremely unforgiving.

That people can be very selfish, say they have your back 100% and things will always be good between you, and then show their true colors and walk away from you in your darkest hour.

I am not a bitter person, and I am forgiving. It was a hard reality to discover someone I thought was similar in thought was actually very bitter and extremely unforgiving.

And we have a tie, with the last worst truth.

I'm getting off this thread. :tongue_smilie:

My most bitter truth is that the people I love end up suffering more for my mistakes than I do myself. And I end up suffering more from my dh's or children's mistakes than they do. Interconnectedness. Painful as it is wonderful.

:iagree: Yes, well said.

:iagree: Happy marriages DO exist. No marriage is happy ALL the time, but I am gloriously blessed with a strong marriage to a wonderful man. I didn't deserve it, still don't deserve it, but somehow, I am blessed to be one of the rare lucky ones. I do know it is rare. I do know. (And, I am saddened frequently to observe the many less happy unions all around me.)

:iagree:There is a lot of sad reality in the pps but just reading the thread title (more than once) nothing sprang to my mind.

ETA - Regarding happy marriages, we have one too. An awesomely, awesome marriage better than I deserve. Dh and I say we have it and there are a few other couples we say have it too, not that we can define it.:)

I'm feeling very off topic tonight:tongue_smilie:.

Regarding "it". My best definition of "it" is both people in a marriage realizing that the other person is completely insane for dealing with your crud, yet totally appreciating their stupidity for dealing with you. Dh and I both acknowledge the other one is completely mental for dealing with the crud, yet we thoroughly appreciate the effort the other one puts into the marriage. It isn't "perfect", but it sure is fulfilling. It also doesn't hurt that dh is a total hottie;).

What is the bitterest truth you've learned?

Life is neither fair nor equal.

Others will resent your success.

Not a bitter truth, but a truth nonetheless: There is no perfect. Life will never look like those glossy magazine ads, and those people you might think have it all also have a pain you don't see.

I've learned the hard way that I see hard reality in many places where others are blinded-in particular, I can see sociopathic behavior easily. But I also see elements of people's personality that foreshadow later terrible downfalls. I have also tried to ignore my judgement and it has turned out badly though in the worse case, I don't see how I could have stopped the carnage that was occurring and continued to occur (that particular carnage I knew nothing about but I had observed deceitful behavior and a charming personality and knew there was a problem but also knew that what I had observed would be easily dismissed as a one time error because of time or stress or whatever. What I observed was a academic ethical problem but what was happening behind the scenes was horrific child abuse). I guess it is called discernment and it did help me when I worked (as an INS inspector) but now it just disheartens me.

Actually, I find acknowledging the bad in life to be very positive. I know too many people who run from it, while I was raised to think it a mature trait to be able to admit something negative without being snowed under by it.

And I am a very cheerful person. I was taken aback, as I said in the OP, to see promising people become mean or bitter or drunk or defeated.

:iagree: A bitter truth I've learned is that poverty is a complex interrelated problem that education and mentoring will not necessarily solve and that chaotic lifestyles may be hardwired into brains of some folks despite their failed efforts at overcoming the chaos. After reviewing multigenerational poverty in my community and those who do manage to overcome it through intelligence and/or hard work, I have no pat answers and luck plays a bigger role than I had previously suspected.

Life is not black and white; we seldom know the whole story. Developing the ability to see a situation from another person's perspective goes a long way in smoothing out disagreements.

Me too for the most part.

The only problem I get really stuck on is, like others have said, people don't necessarily improve with age. When I was younger I expected people would grow up, or that I would and then I'd understand. Science fiction shows usually annoy me because there we are, four thousand years into the future, and still behaving just as crappily as now. Shouldn't we have evolved? It's been four thousand years!!! :lol:

Rosie

That I should always trust my gut.

:iagree:That my gut instincts are generally right and ignoring them to please others will lead to bad things.

That I can't base my own self worth on other people's views/reactions/opinions etc. I need to listen to myself and be my own best friend.

That there is no point to life. We just have to get on with it, taking the opportunity to take an interesting path through it if we can.

That we are all much closer to just surviving than we like to admit. Houses, jobs, people and all the other stuff can go so fast and leave us completely vulnerable.

Edited by lailasmum

That I am the source of my own undoing; my depression, my pitfalls, my flaws. I would love to blame it on anything else, but really, it all comes down to me. I cant blame anyone....it's a really bitter truth.

But like all bitter truths, once you own it, you have the power to chose what you want to make of it. So now I know I am my own worst enemy, how then shall I live? It's scary but empowering.

Oh boy, You SO nailed this one.....yes, how shall I then live?

My bitterest lesson was that the church (denomination) I grew up in was full of... um, platitudes.

I'll leave it at that, I think. ;)

Another bitter lesson has been that family dynamics do not change because I put out more effort.

Edited by Sahamamama

I can never have the relationship and conversations with my parents that I need to have.

However, not all is lost.

I get a second chance at a parent-child relationship. I get the chance to be there for my kids in the relationship and conversations that THEY need.

I'm going to do the best I can. And I am humbly blessed with a partner who knows what he is doing in this area.

You can only depend on yourself - being a good friend is not enough to ensure you will have good friends when you need them. It's a bitter truth, but an empowering one. I've been a happier person with happier relationships since I accepted this, but the accepting was slow and painful, and took about 25 years.

In recent months I've been coming to realize what's stated in the first paragraph; I look forward to feeling the empowerment described in the second paragraph (but I'm not there yet).

There are problems I just cannot fix, especially in regards to poverty. I cannot save all children, not even all of those who want to be saved. Poverty does not let go easily.

On the bright side...I do help save a lot of kids. I can help kids break out of generational poverty.