Menu

How long do you plan on homeschooling?

Mrs.Mom

Just curious ... how many families plan on homeschooling all the way through high school?

At first I was thinking we would just homeschool through the elementary grades ... but now the thought of sending my oldest to a middle school sounds so unappealing. For us, it will really depend on circumstances at that point, and where my kids are emotionally and academically. (We are a semi-military family and could really be anywhere at that point).

Anyone else playing it by ear? Or do you have definite plans in place? Do you think that plays into what sort of content/curriculum you use? Pacing, etc?

I think it would depend on DD's extracurricular activities, but what worries me is that we are in CA and UC schools are not that accommodating to homeschoolers (maybe?).

For us it is because we would rather our kids do their science labs elsewhere than at home since we stay in a condo. I enjoyed fractional distillations and other chemistry labs that we don't think would be feasible to do at home.

We'll definitely finish middle school. She would really like to attend a math-science charter school in a nearby district but would most likely be subject to a lottery as we're out of district. She definitely has the scores, activities, and desires to be a good admit.

No idea of what Plan B will look like. I really don't want to teach all high school courses. I wouldn't want her taking more than one online class. The co-ops and "university model" schools are not academically challenging in maths and sciences. I have no idea how they are for humanities ----it's so much easier for me to evaluate math and science courses and outcomes! The community college would not be a good fit, academically. We would have to pay $$ for her to take a course at the university.

Blech.

Had originally thought we'd go through high school, but 1st DD decided she wanted to attend PS for high school. We're only 8 weeks in, but so far we're all pleased with the experience. 2nd DD is now talking about starting school next year in 8th grade, rather than 'waiting' until 9th like her sister (truthfully, I think she is just lonely without her sister around all day). I'd rather complete middle school at home, but figure I'll have to do a bit of negotiating with her...

We are taking it one year at a time. I had a few friends in hs who went to special high schools (IMSA, etc.) and did great, so who knows what high school will bring? We live close-ish to district which has a great uni lab high school, so we would probably let the kids go there if they wanted to (and if they got in.)

Ds loves classical education and is fairly self-teaching. I would guess he will want to be homeschooled through 12th. Dd likes traditional school and working in groups. I would guess she will end up at a private high school or charter. We don't have great ps districts here, so as long as we live in this city, I would prefer not to put them in public school.

Again, though, I really have no idea. One year at a time, baby!

I check with DS every 3-6 months and his answer has always been the same: "I want to be homeschooled till college!" (:eek:). I'm slowly converting him towards the idea of dual-enrollment, at least for labs (that I cannot replicate at home).

Likely through high school, as I don't think our b&m high school options would be rigorous enough (we're in the county, and the private school is nice, but not real strong in math and science).

Of course, we'll make the final decision when the time comes. We have a while. :D I think my DH may prefer sending them off for high school, but we'll take a look at our options at that point. I don't think the high school we're zoned for even has very many AP classes (if any - I can find zero information on that). It's a rural high school, so my expectations aren't very high. :tongue_smilie: If we do send them to high school, it will probably be the private school, and I know kids have gotten full rides to state schools and such, so it's not *horrible*, but I think they could go further at home.

I used to say we'd take it one year at a time but that I definitely wanted to homechool for middle school, but always wanted to homeschool through high school. My dd's want to be in public hs, and that's where they are. I'm working with ds to point out the advantages to him of staying home so that he can pursue his interests more fully (music & swimming, and he's definitely more talented in the former, although good at the latter; he also is into aeronautics.) I'm working with him to show him the advantages of ps part time for band & math (top notch honours math program) and probably science (so I have more time to drive him to his other interests). He will have to make some hard choices if he opts for full time ps for high school.

Ds13 will be homeschooled through high school.

Ds11 will be homeschooled until 8th, then go to a private school.

Ds8 and Ds9 will be homeschooled until 8th, then we'll make a decision about high school. I suspect Ds8 will go to the same private school as Ds11, but I'm not sure about Ds9.

Ds4 will likely be homeschooled the whole way.

Just realized which board this was on! Ds11 is the only one who is "accelerated" right now, but Ds9 is on his way. :)

Edited by Tazzie

Likely through high school, as I don't think our b&m high school options would be rigorous enough.

In all reality, this is probably us as well, but at least through middle school. If the math/science sequence is strong enough at a STEM magnet high school I may send older ds, but right now that remains to be determined.

I would like to outsource high school through some type of correspondence program. I am hoping to do middle school in a way that prepares them for that. I definitely want to spare our kids the experience of being on-campus at the large public HS. And I would like for them to have the option of finishing early and then beginning CC courses for full college credit.

I take it a year at a time. DS definitely wants to homeschool indefinitely though. Initially, I thought we wouldn't hs at high school, but it looks like we are going through some of that material already with our usual unevenness :D. Lately too, we've had success with mentors, so he's been more satisfied/fulfilled intellectually. I worry about the peer friendship front which hasn't happened as easily, but I've come to terms that it's not likely to happen in a b&m school either.

I don't have a specific plan, but I don't see any reason that we would want to stop homeschooling, except that I expect most high school math and science to be done at the community college. My dh is a high school teacher, and it is hard to imagine the curriculum he teaches being appropriate for my kids.

I check with DS every 3-6 months and his answer has always been the same: "I want to be homeschooled till college!" (:eek:). I'm slowly converting him towards the idea of dual-enrollment, at least for labs (that I cannot replicate at home).

Dd7 feels the same way. I have been getting creative about outsourcing some science stuff lately. We are fortunate to live near Houston so I've found some pretty cool outside stuff for her to do lately. She just did a sheep heart dissection this past weekend at the Health Museum. I am not squeamish at all but I'm also not ordering sheep hearts for at home dissections:lol:

If we still live where we do now, we'll probably give them the option of going to public high school. We live in a district with an excellent high school (my oldest just graduated from), assuming the send/receive deal lasts that long. There are a lot of extracurriculars that can only be done at school around here by that age - sports, band, chorus, etc. When we first made that plan, we were thinking sports. I don't really think that's going to be an issue, definitely not with my son. :tongue_smilie:

I wouldn't mind homeschooling through high school with maybe some dual enrollment. Between the two of us dh and I can handle math through differential calculus (that would be dh) and most science. Dh works as an analytical chemist so we'd even have access to a full chemistry lab.

We'll almost certainly continue through high school, though we'd planned to have them do the last two years in an IB program. I'd still like them to have that part, but it may not be feasible unless we can send them to one of the fairly impressive private schools in the area because a public IB program may not be enough of a challenge. They also both say they want to be professional ballet dancers for their first careers, and that would mean they'd either have to drop out of high school or just finish early (no problem). If they still want to do that at that point, we'll be all set, and if not, they can do the IB or an.exchange program and independent research until they're ready for university.

I keep going back and forth. Right now, I'm thinking that if we could just find the RIGHT school, DD would thrive there-but she'd have to not be the only kid at her level, and would have to have materials during the day to challenge her. Having the interest groups/classes have helped a lot, and she's made a friend who is also HG+ and who has similar intensities (the two of them have been coaching each other, via IM, through the American Math Challenge so far, and it's been simply wonderful to see the thrill on DD's face in having someone she KNOWS doing it with her-the other mother has expressed similar statements). How much more would having such a classroom on a regular basis and being able to share much more of her academic life, which is so important to her, with other kids.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to happen unless I take "If you build it...." to the extreme and try to create my own. And I think the groups I'm already running are about my limit.

In all reality, this is probably us as well, but at least through middle school. If the math/science sequence is strong enough at a STEM magnet high school I may send older ds, but right now that remains to be determined.

My dd's don't care if not all of their courses are rigourous enough, they just don't want to homeschool anymore in high school. Thankfully they can do AP classes, and my middle one can do AP US History in her sophomore year, so at least that's a start. Also, ps dc here can do dual enrollment.

All the way.

Have you read the common core standards that are being adopted by almost all the states? They are dumbing down education. There is no way, unless something major happens in our life, we will put our kids in public school.

You might not have this option where you live, but the way we do it is by doing honours classes, which aren't dumbed down and the math ones are particularly good, AP classes & my middle one is going to do dual enrollment for Spanish & Art so that she can do both JROTC & all year band. She's highly gifted in art & is interested in doing AP Art Portfolio, AP English (both of them) & both AP History courses the school offers. This is the plan at the moment, but I can't force her to stick to her plan if she changes her mind. I'll have to sign a rider since she is going to do her first 2 dual enrollment classes at 15 over the late spring/summer.

Also, we can move our dc to ps at any time during high school, which isn't an option everywhere, so they could start with AP classes & dual enrollment. Mine simply refuse to do all AP classes & dual enrollment and won't do more than they have to in subects they absolutely hate--English for my eldest & math for my middle one. My point being that some gifted dc (mine are at least highly gifted) are stubborn & prefer that environment to home.

You might not have this option where you live, but the way we do it is by doing honours classes, which aren't dumbed down . . .

My dh teaches honors physics, and there is no way for him to teach it without dumbing it down since he always only has a couple of kids that are actually capable of an honors class. You really do need to do your homework (pun intended :)) if you are hoping that honors classes will provide sufficient challenge.

My dh teaches honors physics, and there is no way for him to teach it without dumbing it down since he always only has a couple of kids that are actually capable of an honors class. You really do need to do your homework (pun intended :)) if you are hoping that honors classes will provide sufficient challenge.

Very true! You need to know the schools, the teachers, the curricula, and the outcomes. The AP Physics class my good friend is teaching at a lower-performing high school is in no way comparable to the AP Physics my son took at a very challenging high school.

We are playing it by ear. I would like going all the way through high school to be an option. Currently our ps hs offers a lot of dual enrollment. We have several colleges in our area. Dh isn't sure about hsing long term. However based on how advanced she is I think it will be the only option until she hits high school. Our school district is decent so if one of the girls wants to go to public high school we will likely let them. In my heart I want to homeschool and just do lots of dual enrollment (since that is what she would be doing in ps anyway)

Our intention is to homeschool through high school; however if one of the boys insists he wants to try public school again one day, I don't think we would forbid it, providing they could get into one of the decent charter schools. The local public school is out of the question-- the front of the school is locked behind bullet proof glass and is manned by a fully armed (loaded gun, taser, baton, you name it) police officer. Actual local police, not just a hired security guy. He is needed on a regular basis from what I hear.

No thanks.

It is our intention to homeschool through high school, but who knows what the future holds.

We actually have several very good (free) options for high school in our area. There is a gifted high school that gives kids the option of very rigorous AP's or completing the IB program. They can also take classes simultaneously at the nearby university and some very advanced students have completed their BS by the time they complete their high school diploma. There is also a very rigorous charter high school. Unfortunately, slots are available by lottery only and the admissions pool is huge. There is also a state school of math and science within commuting distance, but it would actually be quite a commute. At least it has a normal admissions process, rather than a lottery like the other two schools. We would seriously consider any of those three options for high school if that was what our children wanted, but we don't consider our local public high school an option at all. Unfortunately it runs on a semester block schedule (4 classes in the fall, 4 different classes in the spring) and suffers from the typical dumbing down of honors/AP classes.

\Unfortunately it runs on a semester block schedule (4 classes in the fall, 4 different classes in the spring) and suffers from the typical dumbing down of honors/AP classes.

Not speaking to the dumbing down, but I actually had this block schedule in high school and loved it! It was so much like college, and I was able to squeeze in more credits because of the schedule.

I made a reply yesterday, but it *poofed*. Now I have time to rewrite.

I assumed I would homeschool. We moved to a small town where there's not much for the kids to get involved in besides school, t-ball, and soccer. I hope to start a lego club.

I was going to hothouse the school skills early on, the three Rs and study and research skills, then fade into unschooling, child-led & child go do it yourself. LoL. Instead of spending years arguing over math worksheets and grammer lessons I planned to lay a solid foundation in the three Rs early and then let them follow their own interest led learning path.

I am raising a fast learner. I have experience homeschooling and self- pacing study programs from my own childhood. OMG! I learn so much about teaching from hanging around TWTM forum. My son reads from his little golden books picture book library for its rich vocabulary and beautiful pictures. I read aloud classic childrens lit as he plays outside, pausing to explain or ask questions to build his comprehension. We take turns reading every other page in chapter books so he won't feel threatened by large blocks of unillustrated text. I bought my Singapore math books here, which led to the Singapore math You Tube videos.

I have been complimented by so many of the school staff. He can keep going as long as he behaves and enjoys it. I will continue to afterschool the three Rs. I have no idea what this will mean for middle or high-school, or even for the next few years of elementary school. I also plan to keep teaching at his zone as long as he keeps wanting to learn.

Ultimately, if your hg/pg teen doesn't want to be challenged, you can't always force them to be.

Right, it does depend on the school. Even in our school, each department has varying rigourousness in its honors department, with math being the best. That said, with hg & pg kids there still might not be enough of a challenge. In our case, my dd's would rather be in ps than have enough of a challenge, so this is our compromise. There are enough dc that get into top colleges from this high school that it won't hold them back from those goals if they have them.

The other thing is that some of the teachers don't teach; the AP Chem teacher is not a good teacher, & when students have trouble he tells them to look in the text; he's infamous for this.

Very true! You need to know the schools, the teachers, the curricula, and the outcomes. The AP Physics class my good friend is teaching at a lower-performing high school is in no way comparable to the AP Physics my son took at a very challenging high school.

Right, this is true as well, and it shows in the scoring. I have met enough dc who have scored 4 & 5 on the AP exams at this school to know that there is enough of a challenge. But since my dd's don't want to be at home and were arguing about homeschooling all the time (not just upset with me but biting the bullet & doing it), it's still our best compromise.

The Sponge, through middle school and then it depends on the science charter schools where we live and what we decide to do with early college. The Drama and The Love might thrive very well at a challenging charter school, so I'm not sure there. I may try The Drama in one next year. The Sponge needs homeschooling. She is my 2E, ADD, asynchronous, VSL science girl who would not be served by a typical school at all.