Menu

I think my son proposed

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me as well! :) (checking for update)

By the way, nobody gave me the advice of treating every girl who comes into a relationship with my guys nicely since you never know who will one day become friendly. However, since I actually meet my husband when I was 15 and I've heard so many of your stories similar to that I realized, "Hey, you never know!" :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And she's still not back with an update. :toetap05:

It's times like this when I could really use a cupcake.

I went to Gigi's Cupcakes to have some for the wait. I had a wedding cake one as a salute to this thread.

Dawn, I hope everything is going well.

By the way, nobody gave me the advice of treating every girl who comes into a relationship with my guys nicely since you never know who will one day become friendly.

Hubby did not dare to bring any girls home because my MIL can be "scary".

Me too. :lol:

Did he go to Jared? - does anyone else get those commercials?

:lol: we get the Jared commercials too.

On a lighter note, my ex-colleagues were saying that the engagement ring is suppose to cost three times a guy's monthly pay. Is that a local/regional thing?

ETA: OP's son's lady should have posted a pic of an engagement ring on facebook to not keep us in suspense (just kidding)

She did say she wouldn't let him not graduate. I just wish she wouldn't have to say that. There is nothing worse than feeling like you have to make your husband do things.

I will be nothing but nice to them about this, trust me.

I'm sure my own disappointments have something to do with my concerns, but I trust you ladies that marriage can be great. I haven't met many in real life that feel this way, so it is refreshing to hear. :)

:grouphug: Best wishes that it all works out, whatever the big announcement is.

And yes, marriage can be great, even when you marry young and even if you don't finish college (though I wish I would have).

I'm checking in for updates, too :001_smile:.

They are engaged! Wedding to be in May.

The meeting went well, but when he said they would way to have kids until they have paid off their student loans (at $48,000) I about cracked. He is making $10 an hour.

I am happy and supportive. And scared. ;)

:grouphug: Itll be ok. You can help guide them into a happy, healthy marriage.

eta: They can get married cheaply/frugally too :)

We are meeting them got coffee this evening. He has been trying to get together again very soon after seeing them. It's unusual. His girlfriend also posted about being the happiest girl ever on Facebook.

I'm going to try really hard to look happy. I'm worried about him being young, about him not graduating, and about how hard marriage is.

Please don't slam me. :(

It is SOOOOOO hard, isn't? :crying:

The meeting went well, but when he said they would way to have kids until they have paid off their student loans (at $48,000) I about cracked. He is making $10 an hour.

Congratulations on gaining a new family member :001_smile:. May weddings are lovely. We got married on a Friday the 13th in May 18 years ago.

Congrats in this new time of your life!

Well, they'll have a good 15-20 years to mature before parenthood, then! See?! It is good news! :D

:grouphug: Dawn, FWIW I don't have a mother-in-law anymore, but I'd love to have one like you. It's so obvious you care. Every couple needs that.

Congratulations on gaining a new family member :001_smile:. May weddings are lovely. We got married on a Friday the 13th in May 18 years ago.

We got married on a Friday the 13th, too (but it was in March). :D

We are meeting them got coffee this evening. He has been trying to get together again very soon after seeing them. It's unusual. His girlfriend also posted about being the happiest girl ever on Facebook.

I'm going to try really hard to look happy. I'm worried about him being young, about him not graduating, and about how hard marriage is.

Please don't slam me. :(

Which son?

Well, they'll have a good 15-20 years to mature before parenthood, then! See?! It is good news! :D

:lol: So true!

:grouphug: and congratulations, Dawn. I'm with those who are encouraging you to hope that marriage helps him grow up. I know it doesn't always work that way for everyone, but it does for many people. Once they *have* to step up to the plate and get it done, they do. Some people just have to figure it out on their own.

I hope everything works out for them, Dawn!

And realistically, the girlfriend put up with your ds's $10/hour job, but the fiancee won't be nearly as happy about it... and the wife is going to kick him off the couch and back to school so he can start making some decent money! :D

My 11 year old. I'm really torn over it because I just fear if he doesn't finish middle school before marriage, he may have a tough time making it.

:lol:

I got married at 20 and have been married 23 years. Praying with you that they are one of the success stories!:grouphug:

She did say she wouldn't let him not graduate. I just wish she wouldn't have to say that. There is nothing worse than feeling like you have to make your husband do things.

This might be a sweet promise they have made to each other. It might make them feel in cahoots, or mature, or some such thing. Did she smile and look at him when she said it?

Or maybe she said it because she thought that is what you'd like to hear .... that she was going to care for what he does the way you do.

Edited by kalanamak

I didn't comment on your other post. I probably shouldn't comment on this one, but I am still hormonal and hopped up on real Sudafed.

First of all, Congrats! You are gaining a daughter! They can be infuriating, but gosh do I love my gals.

Second, fake happiness. Pretend you are trying to win an Oscar. I know you think this isn't ideal, but this makes your son happy. Just go with it. Smile and wave. I speak from experience. Dh and I got married against our parents' wishes. My dad said, and I quote, "If this **** lasts 4 years, I will actually kiss (dh's) a$$." I have pics of my dad kissing dh's bum;). That comment ruined any potential for a close relationship between dh and my parents, and I still struggle with resentment.

Finally, it will be ok. I married dh when I was 19 and he was 22. We both finished college after years of marriage and a few kids. We are still going strong 12 1/2 years later. Young marriages can be both strong and beautiful.

It will be ok. You seem like a smart, classy lady. You will handle this like a champ. Just remember to give grace and both your ds and future dil will respect you forever. Grace. That's the key.

DH and I got married at 23 and 22. I had already graduated but DH had 1.5 yrs left of college (he's younger). We both agreed he'd finish school ASAP and that we'd wait until he was done before having kids. Well...DS was 2 months old at DH's graduation.:lol: We did try, but surprises happen.;) I don't regret how things went down even a little bit.

My FIL apparently expressed concern to my DH about waiting until he'd finished school before getting married, but DH was adamant that he'd finish school no matter what.

When my BIL got engaged, he and his wife were only 20 and still in school. FIL expressed concern, they got married anyway, and they both graduated 2 years later. Same with my parents.

I think you just need to support them and let them "do their thing" and hopefully they will surprise you. Something about marriage and having to support a family has a way of making a "boy" grow into a "man." Getting engaged to me made my DH grow up. He got serious about school and finishing well. He now had a family to support and took his responsibility seriously. Hopefully your son will be like that.

Which son?

I did the same thing. When the 12 yo was listed first and then went down in age, I automatically thought the 12 yo was the oldest. :lol: I had to do a go back to catch the 22 yo stuck on the end.:D I thought it was kinda cute that an 11 or 12 yo was getting engaged. ;) Then, I was confused as to why a 22 yo was considered too young. Without knowing all the back-story, it didn't make any sense to me.

My 11 year old. I'm really torn over it because I just fear if he doesn't finish middle school before marriage, he may have a tough time making it.

I'm such a looser mom. My almostg 14 yo isn't engaged, isn't working, and hasn't been attending college.

*sob*

(and yes, 'looser' was on purpose :tongue_smilie:)

:grouphug: Dawn, FWIW I don't have a mother-in-law anymore, but I'd love to have one like you. It's so obvious you care. Every couple needs that.

:iagree:

I hope everything works out for them, Dawn!

And realistically, the girlfriend put up with your ds's $10/hour job, but the fiancee won't be nearly as happy about it... and the wife is going to kick him off the couch and back to school so he can start making some decent money! :D

It will be ok. You ARE a smart, classy lady. You will handle this like a champ. Just remember to give grace and both your ds and future dil will respect you forever. Grace. That's the key.

It will all work out eventually, until then we smile and pray.;)

Well, I think it is a good thing. At least they will stop 'not living together' right in your face across the street!

Smile and wave!

Dh and I were that young when we got married. We were both still in school. I know it looked like a recipe for disaster, and I'm sure many people bit their tongues, but I look on it as a blessing now. We have a wonderful marriage, and I think part of it is *because* we grew up together in so many ways.

Congratulations to your ds!

You are so kind.

Hey Dawn, since your 12 yo is still unattached, maybe we should talk about arranging a marriage btwn him and Diva. I mean, if you don't mind him marrying an older woman.

We just can't leave these things to chance, yanno. Another yr or 2, and Diva could be an old maid!

Dawn. :grouphug: I'm sure your reaction was great. I can only imagine how I'll feel when my dss, who is now 15, brings home a fiance. I'll be happy and sad at the same time.

Dawn, my MIL is gone, too. And I'd be BLESSED to have you as a MIL. You are a wonderful addition to our Hive, and I'm sure you will be a blessing to your son and future DIL a they travel the road of 'newly married couple'.

Well, I think it is a good thing. At least they will stop 'not living together' right in your face across the street!

I had the same thought as Scarlett.

You know, marriage does have a way of maturing a person much more quickly than the 'I'm so in love with my wonderful boyfriend/girlfriend' phase does. It will be painful for them, for sure. It's painful for ALL of us sometimes, especially at the beginning. But you can pray that the Lord will bless their marriage, that they will make wise decisions, and that you, your dh, and your younger boys can be a blessing to them as well.

:grouphug: