Menu

Snack extortion at PS? New one on me!

Another bs policy at my local elementary school. The school requires a snack period, yet does not permit children to bring in their own snack from home. Instead it "provides" a snack, then charges the families $30/kid per month. Have you heard of this? Do they do this where you live? I just heard about this from a friend whose niece is in the elementary school where my ds would be going, were he in school. I think this is an absurd policy!

$30 a month? School lunches aren't much more than that! Let's see...I have 9 children. If they were all in school at the same time that would be $270 per month for snacks. Outrageous! How can this be legal? Are low income families exempt?

Eta: okay I did the math for my district. Our elementary lunches are $1.95 each. If they are in school for 20 days in a month the grand total for lunches that month is $39. If you add the snack allowance for the district you mentioned it would be $69 for lunch and snacks, not including breakfasts. In our district breakfast is $1.10. For 20 days that is $22.

For breakfast, lunch, and the snack fee (if we had one) it would be $91 per child per month. This is just not realistic! Most people have 2 or 3 children, so double or triple that amount per family per month.

Eta: when my dds were in Pre-k they were required to provide snacks once a month. It amounted to a bag or two of goldfish crackers and some juice. The teacher always had backups in case a child didn't bring their day's snack.

Edited by Excelsior! Academy

This is completely absurd, but I'm not surprised. I'm sure the government would like to have complete control over what school kids eat, you know- to make sure they don't become obese. Instead, they will feed the kids cheap crap laced with HFCS and artificial coloring, and wonder why they can't seem to concentrate. Better get them on Ritalin!

The new school lunch guidelines are completely absurd. I can't imagine limiting fat intake for my children-- in my opinion, limiting fats causes all kinds of cognitive and hormonal issues.

about the lunch guidelines.

Uh, what about all the kids with allergies?!? I'm sure there's a plan for that because there are a good percentage of them these days.

That is supposedly the reason why the school must provide them - so all snacks will be approved allergen-free. :blink:

Another bs policy at my local elementary school. The school requires a snack period, yet does not permit children to bring in their own snack from home. Instead it "provides" a snack, then charges the families $30/kid per month. Have you heard of this? Do they do this where you live? I just heard about this from a friend whose niece is in the elementary school where my ds would be going, were he in school. I think this is an absurd policy!

No WAY! This is ludicrous! I live in Houston, our ISD gives free breakfast to every student. They don't provide snacks, but you can bring one from home. The kids only go to school 20 days (if even this with holidays and half days) a month, so you are being charged more than a $1 a day for snacks, really?

That is bizarro.

My dd just started ps in 6th grade, where I was quite surprised they still have a snack time. But I send in whatever I want.

How could ALL the snacks be allergen free for everyone with allergies? That seems rather unlikely.

When I was a kid, we went to public school and it was FREE. There were no fees beyond school lunch, which you could choose to get or not get. There was occasionally fundraising, but only for specific activities in high school and if you didn't sell enough, you were still welcome to participate. If you didn't do the activities, you were never even asked to fundraise. You were never asked to bring more than paper and pencil and possibly one or two specific notebooks or folders. You never paid a book fee. There was never a long list of random supplies that you had to buy. There was never a class "fee" for materials. Parents didn't have to join the PTA and pay if they didn't want to.

What the ***** has happened!?!?!

$30 a month? School lunches aren't much more than that! Let's see...I have 9 children. If they were all in school at the same time that would be $270 per month for snacks. Outrageous! How can this be legal? Are low income families exempt?

Eta: okay I did the math for my district. Our elementary lunches are $1.95 each. If they are in school for 20 days in a month the grand total for lunches that month is $39. If you add the snack allowance for the district you mentioned it would be $69 for lunch and snacks, not including breakfasts. In our district breakfast is $1.10. For 20 days that is $22.

For breakfast, lunch, and the snack fee (if we had one) it would be $91 per child per month. This is just not realistic! Most people have 2 or 3 children, so double or triple that amount per family per month.

Eta: when my dds were in Pre-k they were required to provide snacks once a month. It amounted to a bag or two of goldfish crackers and some juice. The teacher always had backups in case a child didn't bring their day's snack.

I've never heard of mandatory snack, however, looking at this numbers, I'd save money of they ate at school. :-/

As a homeschooling parent, I do think it's nuts. However, as a teacher, I do see the benefits of streamlining snack time. It's just more efficient than having 20 kids digging around it the cloak room for snacks. There's always the kid who brings, and tries to eat a big meal as a snack, the kid who brings pure sugar, the kid who makes a crumbly mess, the kid who brings nut-laced foods and touches everything, the kid who has nothing and cries. The teacher just wants them to be nourished, not distracted by hunger, and back on track.

How could ALL the snacks be allergen free for everyone with allergies? That seems rather unlikely.

That's what I wondered, but the one friend who teaches at elementary school said the snacks are very limited; I think she said pretzel sticks and graham crackers were the main ones. I know this would still cause problems with certain allergies, though, so I'm not sure what they do for a wheat allergy or what-not.

I've never heard of mandatory snack, however, looking at this numbers, I'd save money of they ate at school. :-/

As a homeschooling parent, I do think it's nuts. However, as a teacher, I do see the benefits of streamlining snack time. It's just more efficient than having 20 kids digging around it the cloak room for snacks. There's always the kid who brings, and tries to eat a big meal as a snack, the kid who brings pure sugar, the kid who makes a crumbly mess, the kid who brings nut-laced foods and touches everything, the kid who has nothing and cries. The teacher just wants them to be nourished, not distracted by hunger, and back on track.

I believe this is the thinking that is why they are doing it this way. As a hser, though, I detest this type of kids-belong-to-the-state policy.

I can see the benefits too for the school - and even for the kids if the snacks are kept healthy enough. If a classroom had gotten together and agreed on this and set up a system, I'd probably think it was cool.

It's the top down, you must pay this fee and do it this way aspect that bothers me. I also just think the allergy thing is a red herring. I mean, this helps them keep out certain allergy causing foods, but pretzel sticks aren't allergen free! Even if they gf, the could have, say, barley flour and some kid could be allergic to that. Or some kid could be on a salt restricted diet and not be able to have them. It's just a distraction.

Are you sure they aren't talking about breakfast? The price is right for those not on free/red and those that aren't used to bkfst being served at 9-9:20 am would call it a snack.

Would school breakfast be mandatory? And that still wouldn't explain not being able to bring your own food instead.

We had something similar to this when I was a kid up through 4th grade. They called it "snack time," but you couldn't bring your own snack, and it wasn't really a snack; it was just a carton of milk or orange juice. And the school only allowed you to take the juice instead of the milk if you had an actual allergy. On Fridays, if you brought in an extra quarter, you got a fudgecicle after lunch.

I don't remember how much it cost, but I was on reduced-fee lunches in elementary school, so of course my parents very rarely sent extra money for snack break or ice cream. So I mostly had to sit there twiddling my thumbs while the other kids had their treats. About once a year or so, I'd end up being the only kid in the class not doing snack time and the teacher would buy one for me.

I have a friend who has kids at Carrolltowne elementary, and she just texted me that the policy, thankfully, isn't at her school. Which elementary school is this happening at?

This is Linton Springs.

Are you sure they aren't talking about breakfast? The price is right for those not on free/red and those that aren't used to bkfst being served at 9-9:20 am would call it a snack.

They were not talking about breakfast. For one thing, they were saying it's because "the day is so long" (Kindy is all day), therefore, they must have a snack. Also, they said it was pretzel sticks and crackers, not breakfast foods. I don't know if this is for all grades through to 5th, or just the K or 1st grade - the lady speaking about it was talking about her K niece.

When I was a kid, we went to public school and it was FREE. There were no fees beyond school lunch, which you could choose to get or not get. There was occasionally fundraising, but only for specific activities in high school and if you didn't sell enough, you were still welcome to participate. If you didn't do the activities, you were never even asked to fundraise. You were never asked to bring more than paper and pencil and possibly one or two specific notebooks or folders. You never paid a book fee. There was never a long list of random supplies that you had to buy. There was never a class "fee" for materials. Parents didn't have to join the PTA and pay if they didn't want to.

I completely agree.

That's what I wondered, but the one friend who teaches at elementary school said the snacks are very limited; I think she said pretzel sticks and graham crackers were the main ones. I know this would still cause problems with certain allergies, though, so I'm not sure what they do for a wheat allergy or what-not.

Yeah, we're gluten-free, wouldn't work for us.

I can see the benefits too for the school - and even for the kids if the snacks are kept healthy enough. If a classroom had gotten together and agreed on this and set up a system, I'd probably think it was cool.

It's the top down, you must pay this fee and do it this way aspect that bothers me. I also just think the allergy thing is a red herring. I mean, this helps them keep out certain allergy causing foods, but pretzel sticks aren't allergen free! Even if they gf, the could have, say, barley flour and some kid could be allergic to that. Or some kid could be on a salt restricted diet and not be able to have them. It's just a distraction.

Each child's allergy information or dietary restrictions would be on their student health forms. I'm guessing each class would have to find a snack that was appropriate for all its students. You 'might' be able to have a piece of fruit and some milk for less than $1.50. I'm guessing a snack wouldn't be subsidized like cafeteria foods.

I'm glad I don't have to deal with this.

If my kids were ever in the system they would not be eating school food- I don't need the government telling me what to feed my kids, I do not approve of their ideas on "nutrition", and over my dead body would I be taking their word on their food being allergy safe for youngest. If my kids were in school I would not be surrendering my rights as their MOM at the door.

Most allergy concern seems to be about peanuts and treenuts. I have never seen much attention given to anything else. I don't know what foods no one is allergic to (seaweed?), much less that a roomfull of kids will all eat. In my (private) elementary school we had graham crackers and apple juice made from concentrate. :ack2: I still dislike apple juice. I don't understand why snacks are so expensive unless the district has been taken over by some French gourmets and cheese and meat plates are part of the deal.

I graduated in the early 90s, during a financial crisis in my school district. I had to buy my own chemistry textbook (about $60). I had to buy chemicals for the group project I worked on. We had NO tissues in the classrooms and no spare pencils. We did have shiny new metal detectors and laminated posters everywhere with the 800 number to report tips on future shootings. :glare: We were forced to fundraise. I also had to fundraise at another school I attended across the country. The process was almost exactly the same, starting with the assembly with eating contest, pep talk, prizes, and then the threatening speeches. However, it seems out of control these days to me, too.

My younger son goes to public school, and last year in kindergarten, they had snacks provided by the school (actually, by the teacher, I think). We had to pay something like $40 for the whole year, which I didn't really even think about, but I'm sure if I had resisted, it wouldn't have been forced upon me. This was a special ed classroom, though, so I have no idea if they have a similar requirement for the regular K class. I do know that now that he's been mainstreamed for first grade, they don't have a snack time at all anymore, not even for something brought from home.

Uh, what about all the kids with allergies?!? I'm sure there's a plan for that because there are a good percentage of them these days.

They are probably the reason why no outside snacks are allowed. If the school controls the snack content entirely, then they can plan only snacks that are non-allergenic.

That said, I still think the policy is ridiculous and over-priced, and I know that if I'd had a kid in PS I would have LOTS to say about it. :tongue_smilie:

What on earth would they do if you refused to pay and sent your child with a doctor's note and own snack (note saying child needs snack for x reason--blood sugar, allergy whatever). I know when I was a kid I had to bring a snack for myself because I couldn't get from breakfast to lunch without hypoglycemic symptoms, and dry graham crackers or pretzels wouldn't have helped much.

I send DD with snacks to eat between classes at her own discretion, and sent a box of individual snack sizes of cookies for her to distribute on her birthday.

Of course, she attends an enrichment program for hsers run by the public district, and they know if they got too bureaucratically stupid people would leave and they'd lose funding...

That is supposedly the reason why the school must provide them - so all snacks will be approved allergen-free. :blink:

WOW! they have quite a job to do. All snacks will need to be at the very least, gluten, dairy, egg, soy,corn, nut, tomatoe, strawberry....... the list goes on. 5 of these would be on my one dc's list. What are they going to feed these children that is ready made?:confused:

Most allergy concern seems to be about peanuts and treenuts. I have never seen much attention given to anything else. I don't know what foods no one is allergic to (seaweed?), much less that a roomfull of kids will all eat. In my (private) elementary school we had graham crackers and apple juice made from concentrate. :ack2: I still dislike apple juice. I don't understand why snacks are so expensive unless the district has been taken over by some French gourmets and cheese and meat plates are part of the deal.

I graduated in the early 90s, during a financial crisis in my school district. I had to buy my own chemistry textbook (about $60). I had to buy chemicals for the group project I worked on. We had NO tissues in the classrooms and no spare pencils. We did have shiny new metal detectors and laminated posters everywhere with the 800 number to report tips on future shootings. :glare: We were forced to fundraise. I also had to fundraise at another school I attended across the country. The process was almost exactly the same, starting with the assembly with eating contest, pep talk, prizes, and then the threatening speeches. However, it seems out of control these days to me, too.

I can't have anything with sea weed in it.:)

WOW! they have quite a job to do. All snacks will need to be at the very least, gluten, dairy, egg, soy,corn, nut, tomatoe, strawberry....... the list goes on. 5 of these would be on my one dc's list. What are they going to feed these children that is ready made?:confused:

Um . . .allergy-free within that class . . . not the entire planet.

I say this every year when I have to shell out $$ at the begining of the year for my DD. I'm glad only one of mine goes to school. I'd be in the poor house if all 3 went.

This year I had to shell out:

$20 for ASB card. ($5 I could see, but $20?)

$25 cooking class fee

$18 for Gym uniform (seriously, they can't wear a crapy T from home?)

$5 for composition books, couldn't use the .25 ones I got, HAD to be the ones from the school

$25 for PTA

Other fees I can't remember. I paid $50 at registration (including the ASB) the others were all in addition to the $$ I spent the first day. I think I spent close to what I spent on curriculum for my other two in school Fees and that was only the 1st semester.

Seriously!!! I can't keep the disbelief off my face when people tell me what they have to shell out at their kids' schools.

I'm pretty sure that this school and I would not play well together :glare:.

Raising my hand that I wouldn't like it either. Just above the link w snack guidelines is the lunch info- they contract with different fast food places to provide lunch. And then recommend that parents send snacks like granola bars without chocolate chips. Yeah.

Raising my hand that I wouldn't like it either. Just above the link w snack guidelines is the lunch info- they contract with different fast food places to provide lunch. And then recommend that parents send snacks like granola bars without chocolate chips. Yeah.

I read the link.

I am...speechless. :001_huh:

That's what I'm thinking.

In our home we can't do wheat, rice, dairy, cane sugar, artificial sugars, or egg. Finding anything that isn't fresh fruit or vegetable that fits that bill is pretty near impossible.

After all the years I have been working in education I can tell you that these policies, as ridiculous as many of them are, do not come out of the blue. They almost always come as a reaction to complaints from others.

Groups complain that school lunches aren't healthy enough so the school tries to correct it which upsets other groups because they think the school is too controlling.

Groups complain that they want schools to be safe for food allergy kids so schools try to control what is served for snacks. Other groups think this is a terrible idea. There is NO WAY to please everyone.

At my school parents have the option of paying for the school snack or bringing their own from home (this applies to lunches as well). But we also don't guarantee an allergen-free school. You can't have it both ways.

It's just one of the many things an administrator must negotiate while walking through the minefield of group education.