Menu

What is for #1 favorite thing you've used for homeschool?

bttrflyvld

Andrew Kern's mantra to "teach at rest." I repeat that phrase to myself daily. If I teach from a place of anxiety and worry and chaos, all that my kids pick up is the strain of work, not the beauty of the truth. If I teach from a place of rest, a place of peaceful, confident focus on where I am hoping to lead my children, our days are not just "productive," but actually ones of joyful discovery.

Some tools that have helped me teach certain subjects better:

Miquon: It made me approach math in a way I would not have done naturally.

The Sentence Family: Wonderful combination of grammar, art, and story-telling!

Right Start Math and Explode the Code

My daughter has some learning issues but RS got her from not being able to count individual objects at age 5.5 to adding large numbers in her head, beginning multiplying, etc. one year later. And she knows she is capable and good at math, her confidence awesome! ETC is fun and cheap enough so I don't worry about her repeating the books several times for fluency and fun enough so she doesn't hate me for making her... at least not very much.

Edited by Papillon Mom

We don't use Sonlight, but own lots of cores and love the book choices.

Loved Rightstart math more than any other. If I only had one child, I'd still be using it!

Sentence Family was a blast.

I agree - I love Click Erase pencils. Every child and I each have a "color" so we all know which belongs to whom.

We loved our study of American History using Beautiful Feet's Primary guide.

We enjoyed History Pockets for fun extras.

Draw and Write through History at the right age is fun. I really like the way Heart of Dakota schedules it such that one day we draw, the next day we color. That way we don't feel like it takes too much time.

IEW's Linguistic Approach to Poetry Memorization

My huge whiteboard and expo dry erase markers

This is our first year with Heart of Dakota and we are on week 6 and love it more every day. It took a while for me to see the big picture of how it works. Now it seems lovely to me.

Nature study

Andrew Kern's mantra to "teach at rest." I repeat that phrase to myself daily. If I teach from a place of anxiety and worry and chaos, all that my kids pick up is the strain of work, not the beauty of the truth. If I teach from a place of rest, a place of peaceful, confident focus on where I am hoping to lead my children, our days are not just "productive," but actually ones of joyful discovery.

Some tools that have helped me teach certain subjects better:

Miquon: It made me approach math in a way I would not have done naturally.

The Sentence Family: Wonderful combination of grammar, art, and story-telling!

Great advice!:001_smile: Thanks!!!

Favs: TWTM Forum

Rod and Staff Math & English

Abeka Phonics & Handwriting

Christian Liberty Press Nature Readers

Elson Readers

Yesterday's Classics

101 Series- Biology, Chem

Lyrical Science

Oxford University Press: The World In ...Times Series

World History:Perspectives on the Past(Krieger, Jantzen, Neill)

Audio Memory

Amazon

Christian Book Distributors

Home Science Tools

Our GIANT blow-up Globe

Our almost complete school room!

***So much for 1 favorite thing.:001_smile:

ETA: The Potter's School!!!

Edited by Dina in Oklahoma

http://www.xacto.com/products/office-solutions/paper-cutters/paper-cutters/Heavy-Duty-Wood-Guillotine-Trimmers.aspx

My x-acto paper cutter. I use it ALL the time and have for, what 8 1/2 years now? Punches and good staplers are right behind that.

Curriculum can come and go, but good tools, good supplies make your life better. Good bins that don't snag your books. Good binders that last and are easy to open and close. Punches for each size of binder you use. Duplicates of things like staplers and tape so you never lose your mind looking for them.

I hate to be sappy, but for me it's a toss up between TWTM (book) and TWTM (forums.) The book gave me a concise plan, the forums give me confidence, support, and... socialization. ;)

Singapore Math has been a total game-changer for ds. If I had to choose one specific program, it would probably be Singapore.

I *really* love Ambleside Online too, though we don't follow it. I just love the recommendations.

Catholic Heritage Curricula's Little Stories for Little Folks. I taught 2 of my kids to read using that and waiting on the third to be ready. It's the best reading program I've EVER come across. It's just so well fitted to teaching reading. The kids love it!

It's *very* Catholic though, so if you aren't Catholic it may not be for you (general).

Homeschool Tracker +. Hands down.

I used the free version for several years, and that was fine. But HST+ just does EVERYTHING I need.

And when I use it...which I'm on fire now using it...it keeps me so on track, life is just easy. I print out schedule grids just like Sonlight/MFW offer (which was always appealing to me.)

I can plan WEEKS and MONTHS in advance ( if life allows me to sit there long enough to do it. This school year I was able to plan 9 weeks in...we are getting close to that, so in the next week or two, I'm going to need to sit down and plan some more) but with a click of the mouse, I can easily reschedule and change things. I actually only put my lesson plans into the schedule one week at a time, in case we need to adjust.

Love it, love it, love it!

Story of the World

Sadly we finished it last year. I miss it so much.

Also the discovery of Chinese food delivery for lunch - so fun.

Sharp pencils, good white erasers, scented candles, coffee, hot blueberry tea... It really is the little things.

Mini-whiteboards have been one of the best tools for us! We use them for spelling practice, stick figuring for Grapevine, math problems, drawing. Magnetic ones to stick letters on. I just ordered more with lines on them to use for handwriting practice.

Kumon workbooks have also served us well. They don't feel like school so the kids love to do them, any time of the day. Cutting practice, cursive writing, craft books, telling time, etc.

Pipsqueak Skinnies markers have been great for my 5yo correcting his handwriting grip. They are short and skinny. I bought him a set in a case and they are 'his' markers, he's thrilled. I also got mini-coloured pencils and regular pencils, but the markers have been the best.

Also love these forums, I have learned so much here.

And my new iPad. :001_wub: Love having everything at my fingertips (literally!).

Don't laugh. A date stamper. I didn't buy it for homeschooling; I had it leftover from my independent contracting days.

The thing is surprisingly motivating for my kids. They'll even hurry to finish math first so they can be the one who chooses whether we use the red or the black cartridge. And all I have to do to check whether we are doing math consistently is to flip to the last page and see how long it's been since we last did it.

Don't laugh. A date stamper. I didn't buy it for homeschooling; I had it leftover from my independent contracting days.

The thing is surprisingly motivating for my kids. They'll even hurry to finish math first so they can be the one who chooses whether we use the red or the black cartridge. And all I have to do to check whether we are doing math consistently is to flip to the last page and see how long it's been since we last did it.

I am loving it!!! I think my kids would really have fun with this too!

Mini-whiteboards have been one of the best tools for us! We use them for spelling practice, stick figuring for Grapevine, math problems, drawing. Magnetic ones to stick letters on. I just ordered more with lines on them to use for handwriting practice.

Kumon workbooks have also served us well. They don't feel like school so the kids love to do them, any time of the day. Cutting practice, cursive writing, craft books, telling time, etc.

Pipsqueak Skinnies markers have been great for my 5yo correcting his handwriting grip. They are short and skinny. I bought him a set in a case and they are 'his' markers, he's thrilled. I also got mini-coloured pencils and regular pencils, but the markers have been the best.

Also love these forums, I have learned so much here.

And my new iPad. :001_wub: Love having everything at my fingertips (literally!).

Ah yes, the IPAD! How could I forget that! Now I can look at curriculum while laying in bed!:001_smile:

My favorite resources:

Five in a Row- just a curriculum that gives me the warm fuzzies. :001_wub: I'm just sad I didn't discover it sooner.

The internet- Lots and lots of free resources

Homeschool Share

Pinterest

My library

Living Math- ok, not a curriculum or resource but a method and we LOVE IT!

Notebooking- another method we have come to love in our homeschool

This forum/board- I can't tell you how many times this has been such a help and encouragement to me.

Wow, there are so many things to choose from and I'm so thankful for that. Right now I am going to say that The Core is my #1. It only just edges out The Latin Centered Curriculum for the sole reason that reading it gave me the confidence (and a couple of priceless ideas) to stick with LCC.