Menu

What is for #1 favorite thing you've used for homeschool?

bttrflyvld

It always cracks me up when an OP says "pick one" and ends up with long lists! :D

If I have to pick just one, it would be the Hive. :001_wub: You guys are really helping me figure out how to do this thing.

Miss P said she couldn't possibly pick just one thing, because she loves everything we're using (:D) but the first that came to her mind was our Entomology studies. We're using a combination of MP's Entomology curriculum, which has a reader with a bunch of vintage science writings, and the vintage book Adventures with Insects by Richard Headstrom. This pick surprised me, but it's good to hear!

Just one??! Not fair! ;)

I would have to say Tanglewood Education.com. In the beginning, this site held my hand and helped me to:

- believe I could teach my children at home

- organize and plan

- get resources that match my teaching style

- see what living books looked like

- gain courage to venture on my own (pick my own materials)

The most helpful thing for me has been this forum. Within a few weeks of joining, homeschooling went from terrifying to exciting.

Writing With Ease, along with Susan Wise Bauer's audio lectures, has been the most helpful curriculum. English is not my first language, and I don't know how I'd teach writing without it.

The most fun is Beast Academy. Or Life of Fred. They're both fantastic. :)

I can't limit it to just one....

a globe

electric pencil sharpener

high speed internet

our local library system

Sonlight cores (Cultural Geography, Core 100, 300, 530)

Life of Fred math

Beautiful Feet (Learning Character through Literature, Geography using Holling C Holling books, Primary level American History, and Medieval, Renaissance & Reformation History)

I just started implementing Bravewriter this year, but gauging by smiles and the fact that I pull TWJ down everyday, I can honestly say that Bravewriter combined with WWE is my numero uno favorite thing right now!!! Especially after my grief finding a writing program I could love.

-SequentialSpelling---we've been using it and loving it since 1st grade! We'll work through the entire series.

-Miquon with C-rods. I can't imagine using anything else as a math spine with my younger kiddos.

-Handwriting Without Tears is fabulous.

I have lots of favorites, but they can get dropped or shunted aside or substituted. These 5 will always get used every year.

ETA: I'm also really loving Harmony Fine Arts and Artistic Pursuits. Art and music appreciation and "doing art" are finally getting done this year in an organized manner.

Edited by Walking-Iris

Well, I narrowed it down to three--

IEW

BFSU

coffee

If I had to pick one, it would be IEW. Writing is very difficult to teach. I was getting all of the other subects figured out, but I kept bombing on writing. IEW (TWSS) taught me how to be a writing teacher, and they also offer plenty of DVD lectures (SWI) with the hilarious Mr. Pudewa. I am so glad that I coughed up the money for this one.

Used book stores & library!

The best thing I've done for our HS is read read read everything I could get my hands on. That includes everything from TWTM and Charlotte Mason's writings, to the teacher's manuals to a variety of curricula to things like "What every ____ grader should know" books. Reading it all puts *my goals* into perspective, and gave me the confidence to keep doing this HSing thing...and use a curric without being owned by it.

Can I pick two since I use them together as an inseparable combination?

How to Tutor for phonics, handwriting and arithmetic, but using the WRTR 6th edition cursive handwriting instructions for letter formation.

My copy of HTT is a old yellowed hardcopy edition, and I've scribbled in a ton of notes. It looks like a well loved Bible. I just love the thing to pieces.

Abeka Phonics

BJU K and 1st grade Language

Wordsmith Apprentice

Children Just Like Me

BJU Math (Elementary)

Nature Studies (this out shines any curriculum out there in cost, ease, and education)

Library

Copier/printer

Vintage Readers (1960 or before)

Apologia Science

We just found AOPS and BA but it is top of my math list now.

Lyra Ferby Colored Pencils, Stone Water Color Paint, and Stockmar Crayons

Why? They are $$$ but they color beautifully and my daughter has created some beautiful illustrations for copywork, science journaling, narrations, etc. in her main lesson books with them this year. She is creative and will choose to put things that we've learned into artwork that I would have never dreamed up for her to do.

I really wish I'd spent more money on quality supplies last year when we started homeschooling as it seems to make her final products nicer and she enjoys working with them so much.

Lyra Ferby Colored Pencils, Stone Water Color Paint, and Stockmar Crayons

Why? They are $$$ but they color beautifully and my daughter has created some beautiful illustrations for copywork, science journaling, narrations, etc. in her main lesson books with them this year. She is creative and will choose to put things that we've learned into artwork that I would have never dreamed up for her to do.

I really wish I'd spent more money on quality supplies last year when we started homeschooling as it seems to make her final products nicer and she enjoys working with them so much.

YES! This. This has to my favorite "method" out there. I've started having my two oldest kids keep a Waldorf/OM inspired Main Lesson Book for Lang Arts and science/nature study. I put down some $$$ as well for some quality sketchbooks and art supplies and the difference between my ds's willingness to "do school" this year is night and day from last year!

My favorites have changed from year to year, from curriculum to approaches. I tried, but I really can't pick one. Some standouts:

Other homeschoolers (both IRL and cyber buddies)--This would be a completely different thing here without all that I have learned from others.

Myself--sometimes I just come up with something really cool that the dc enjoy and really learn from:

ie: Today we were using ds' Lego knights lined up in rows of five to help him understand the idea of multiplication. With my older ds (who still doesn't know his times tables) we played multiplication war, with a small reward for each answer he got right.

Project based learning

Workboxes--I haven't consistently used these, but whenever I bring it back, it's like a smack on the head. Yes! This so totally works for me. I do so much better when I organize like this. I have my own version, but it's inspired by the original.

Books--so many wonderful read alouds over the years.

Nature--though I don't use it often enough. Hoping to change that this year.