Menu

WWYD? MIL Thing...

ok. So yesterday, I got a really odd email from MIL. Asking for forgiveness, apologizing for jumping to conclusions, talking about having put my email addy in wrong, etc.

Neither Wolf nor I had a clue wth she was talking about.

Then, I just got a vm from her. Saying she sent a letter addressed to Wolf, and to not open it, to throw it in the garbage. That the letter was 'awful, just awful'. :001_huh:

Whatever letter it is, it hasn't arrived yet.

Honestly, I'm inclined to open it. For one, we know that she's spread lies about my husband around extended family before, and if she's committed it to paper, then she's *absolutely* spread it around the family grapevine. Forewarned is forearmed. Two, it'd be nice to know what she REALLY thinks of him/us, yanno?

I also feel that this is another NPD attention getting stunt/manipulation.

WWYD? Open it, or toss it in the garbage as demanded?

Send it to me. I'll open it, tell you the gist of what it says without you having to suffer for it, and will then torch it for you if you want me to.

:lol::lol:

I would definitely open it. Of course you'll open it. Right??

All these MIL posts are making me nervous. My ILs are visiting in less than two weeks...:banghead:

Send it to me. I'll open it, tell you the gist of what it says without you having to suffer for it, and will then torch it for you if you want me to.
:iagree:

My gut reaction is that I would so be opening it!

But - really, I would probably give it to a friend and have them read it, then torch it.

That said, I didn't have any relationship with my mother for nearly 5 years, then she showed up at my wedding. She said a friend of her's had sent her a letter and convinced her to make amends with me. She said I can read the letter when she dies. I often wonder what the letter says. It isn't like the curiosity is killing me, but I do think about the contents of the letter on a regular basis. :tongue_smilie: So in your case, I think I would need to read the letter myself and then try to scrub it from my memory.

And on a related note...

We had a message on our answering machine the other day from a debt collector, looking for someone else. The message said, "If you are not John Smith, you are legally obligated to quit listening to this message immediately." Yeah, right. We listened to it.

I'd open it, but with a sense of pre-grace in my heart that I already know she (for some reason) regrets whatever it is.

Well, this but more cynical. I'd open it knowing it was a full-on N-rage for whatever crime she thought you'd committed in not responding to the ill-addressed email.

Though, I can't help thinking the acknowledgement of her own error and trying to preempt the reading of the rage letter is sort of... Advanced. Or, at least, sort of odd progress.

Well, this but more cynical. I'd open it knowing it was a full-on N-rage for whatever crime she thought you'd committed in not responding to the ill-addressed email.

Though, I can't help thinking the acknowledgement of her own error and trying to preempt the reading of the rage letter is sort of... Advanced. Or, at least, sort of odd progress.

I wonder if it's more attention seeking, or something. Realization she'd be giving up Nsupply, as well as giving us proof of her behaviour.

Inclined to think it's the last one.

:lol: On a serious note, though, a friend of mine would call me up and ask me to call her voice mail to weed through the insane, demonic-sounding rants and see if there was any pertinent information when her unmedicated, severely bipolar, NPD MIL would call.

I wonder if it's more attention seeking, or something. Realization she'd be giving up Nsupply, as well as giving us proof of her behaviour.

Inclined to think it's the last one.

I totally agree. But (at least in my mother's case), she normally lacks the introspection and planning to see that play out in advance, let alone decide that there may be negative consequences. Mine would feel completely justified, and shocked at my audacity in being offended by whatever is in the letter. And she would insist that I wrote the incorrect email address in her book. So... Yeah, connecting those dots and taking action seems advanced to me, even if it's motivated by her self interest.

Imp, you've said before that she seems to be developing dementia on top of her already very awful personality. I think you should open it and KEEP it because if she's getting to where she really can't live alone any longer, a long, non-sensical, rambling, evidence of memory failing, completely mixed up letter may be evidence in the future for when Wolf's cousin (if memory serves, his cousin is the one that is sorta keeping an eye on her) needs to take action.

It probably is awful. It's not like you can expect less given her history. But, it could also be totally bizarre and proof to the rest of the family that the dementia is getting worse.

:grouphug: Faith

Open it. Get a good laugh because you already know how bad she is, and what she says/does to about you and to you. It probably won't change how you feel about her. I mean could she really get any worse? Plus then you know what she's said and you can defend yourself if need be.

And come on, you can't seriously send a letter to someone, then say don't open it and expect them NOT to! That is just beyond cruel! I'd have to know. Espescially if it was the wranting of a witch writing it.

But most importantly, after you read, you have to update about it! I've been reading this soap opera long enough! No way can you go out on a cliff hanger like that!

Honestly, I'm inclined to open it. Forewarned is forearmed. Two, it'd be nice to know what she REALLY thinks of him/us, yanno?

I also feel that this is another NPD attention getting stunt/manipulation.

WWYD? Open it, or toss it in the garbage as demanded?

:iagree: I'd read it - surely she can't do anything to make you think any less of her, and forewarned IS forearmed.

Imp, you've said before that she seems to be developing dementia on top of her already very awful personality. I think you should open it and KEEP it because if she's getting to where she really can't live alone any longer, a long, non-sensical, rambling, evidence of memory failing, completely mixed up letter may be evidence in the future for when Wolf's cousin (if memory serves, his cousin is the one that is sorta keeping an eye on her) needs to take action.

It probably is awful. It's not like you can expect less given her history. But, it could also be totally bizarre and proof to the rest of the family that the dementia is getting worse.

Ok. I'd have poured booze over it then lit it, but Faith is right.

Edited by Rosie_0801

:iagree: It may be handy to have in the future.

I talked to Wolf. First, he's not at all pleased that she's once again come to me, expecting me to decieve him to cover her ass. It's his letter, he wants it. In talking, we think this is more about her realizing that she's handed us proof of her crappy behaviour, and she's normally a LOT sneakier than that. I think she's more worried that we'd have proof that we could show ppl than anything else.

Faith, what you said is true too.

Wolf's seriously ticked she expected me to decieve him. I don't lie to my husband, I don't keep secrets from him. He keeps mumbling under his breath about it.

Since your are pretty sure of the content *I* would:

a. Open it

b. Read it, shake my head and laugh.

c. Plan on keeping if F.O.R.E.V.E.R.

d. (and this is the most important, imo) scan it onto your computer and share it with the hive!! :D

I love your mil posts. I'm just sorry you have to deal with it - especially with everything you have going on. :grouphug:

Open it. And report back.

:iagree:

Don't tell her you opened it and you won't have the drama.

Honestly, I think that there may be fall out, *if* there actually is a letter. It wouldn't surprise me if this was just an attention grab.

It'll be totally up to Wolf what happens.

I predicted, back when she pulled her disappearing act, had a missing person's report out on her, and was *laughing* about all the upset she caused that once that attention died down, there would be another stunt.

I'm betting this is it.

Honestly, I think that there may be fall out, *if* there actually is a letter. It wouldn't surprise me if this was just an attention grab.

It'll be totally up to Wolf what happens.

I predicted, back when she pulled her disappearing act, had a missing person's report out on her, and was *laughing* about all the upset she caused that once that attention died down, there would be another stunt.

I'm betting this is it.

YEP!! I think this is probably true, too. But, if there is a letter, you'll share it, right?:D

Interesting.

MIL just called for Princess' birthday. She didn't mention the letter at all.

I was fully prepared to tell her, "I don't play games like that w/my husband. It'll be up to him if he opens the letter or not."

There were big pauses in the convo, as if she was waiting for me to say something, but I just waited her out.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I would have to open it to know, but you might ask dh if he wants to know. kwim? It's harder when it's your mom vs. your crazy mil.

:iagree:I thought of her dementia as soon as I read your post. It is really somewhat surprising that she is concerned about you reading the letter.

Good for you; way to use the uncomfortable pause.

:grouphug:Hugs to you and everyone dealing with a monster-in-law.

Interesting.

MIL just called for Princess' birthday. She didn't mention the letter at all.

I was fully prepared to tell her, "I don't play games like that w/my husband. It'll be up to him if he opens the letter or not."

There were big pauses in the convo, as if she was waiting for me to say something, but I just waited her out.

Imp, could this be a trap against you? If the letter is addressed to Wolf, could she have told you and asked you to take it so Wolf wouldn't read it. That way, later on, she can tell Wolf that you are keeping info from him and also keeping Wolf from her? Just so she can say you are causing problems between her and Wolf? Does that make sense?

Walk carefully, together with Wolf through this. Don't allow her a single hair's breath between the two of you. She might be trying to divide and conquer.