Menu

Car seat expiration question. Let's stay calm. :)

ETA: It's all set. We talked. I took off the cover (to sell or give away). She is going to trade it in at Toys R US for 25% off a seat she told me starts with an E. I don't remember. lol I had hoped that light/non-usage, and good storage would factor in (there is no research available, it seems), so I do appreciate the discussion.

Everyone wins. No child I know was harmed in the context of this thread. :)

Expired car seat question.

Edited by LibraryLover

I'm not really a huge safety type of person, and I often take risks with things, but I wouldn't hand down an old car seat. My brother is a fireman and he had a call out with a car accident where the car seat broke because the plastic was too old and brittle. I have chucked all my old car seats since then. I even had my SIL ask me if she could have one to use just for awhile and I told her sorry, but no.

I might if what she's currently using is even worse. I have a friend that uses old hand-me-down car seats, including one in a style that stopped being manufactured 10 years ago. A 6 month expired Britax would be such an improvement over her current set-up that I would definitely give it to her. I would be upfront with her about the expiration date though.

I might if what she's currently using is even worse. I have a friend that uses old hand-me-down car seats, including one in a style that stopped being manufactured 10 years ago. A 6 month expired Britax would be such an improvement over her current set-up that I would definitely give it to her. I would be upfront with her about the expiration date though.

I guess I can't do it.

I've heard/read that the plastic degrades over time and becomes more brittle and that even if you can't actually SEE that degradation, it may not hold up in a crash. So I'm not a fan of using or recycling expired car seats.

Yes. I understand that. The usage was so light, compared to what I've seen in even non-expired seats. It hasn't even seen the light of day in two years in a climate controlled basement. How much could it truly have degraded given it's history? I am not going to let her have it, but I am wondering about this from a scientific point of view.

But I still can't take the risk for someone else.

Edited by LibraryLover

I've heard/read that the plastic degrades over time and becomes more brittle and that even if you can't actually SEE that degradation, it may not hold up in a crash. So I'm not a fan of using or recycling expired car seats.

This.

I had the privilege of being able to destroy seats that my friend kept because 'they were a lot of money'. The first shattered with a 3ft drop. The second took a little more, but gave, too.

Plastic degrades. There's no way to get around that. There's a

that shows WHY it's a really bad idea to continue using an expired seat. Not to mention the other problems....

-if she's in an accident, her health insurance can refuse to cover medical care needed for the injured kid.

-her car insurance can refuse to pay for a new seat.

-she can be ticketed for breaking the law (not using a seat properly).

In all honesty, a friend doesn't give a friend a weapon to kill their kid. That's pretty much what you'd be doing by knowingly handing over an expired seat for her to use for who knows how long.

I'd feel torn in this scenario. I've heard though, that fire stations or hospitals will give free car seats to replace expired or unsafe ones. A new Evenflo or Graco or whatever they give out would probably be better than an expired Britax. It is only 6 months expired now, but who is to say they won't use it for years.

I don't know...if someone is asking for your old seat, I wonder if there's not a financial constraint. In which case, she might just pick one up off the side of the road, in God-knows-what condition.

JMO of course, but I wouldn't hesitate, esp if she knows it's expired.

It's not as though the plastic "knows" what expiration date is written on it, and has given up the ghost on that date. It's obviously been well cared for, which is something you can't say about a carseat from Craigslist, or the curb.

It hasn't been used regularly, hasn't been sitting out in a 100 degree car for multiple summers, has been in storage in a cool basement, and is only a few months past expiration. I'd use it in a HEARTBEAT.

:) I can't do it, and I knew I wouldn't even as I hit send the first time.

However, I do wonder, just scientifically, how a car seat with such light usage, and non-use in a protected environment, would degrade at the same rate as seat in constant use, and subjected to heat variation.

However, I do wonder, just scientifically, how a car seat with such light usage, and non-use in a protected environment, would degrade at the same rate as seat in constant use, and subjected to heat variation.

I can't see how it would, but I also don't want to take responsibility.

You had it in the basement for 2 years, and probably used it for 3.5 in the car before that. That's three and a half years of heat and cold while having the same stress placed on parts of the seat, like the plastic the seatbelt goes through. That seat pulled in the same way every time you stopped, turned, or accelerated. It put stress in the same area.

Then it went in the basement, where, while it wasn't being used, that already weakened plastic was still degrading. Not as fast as in the car, perhaps, but still doing it.

I think it would be a fun experiment to look over the plastic shell, look for white-ish stress marks, maybe drop it once or twice. You could use it as a physics/chemistry experiment for your kids. :D

She knows it's expired. She wants it for her older child, so a new baby can move into her older daughters car seat.

I guess I can't do it. I think I might put a child of in mine in it, as it's usage was so light, and has been protected in my basement for two years. But I don't want to make that choice for her. I know she will be a little upset, but it's not a friendship breaker or anything.

Not saying you should or shouldn't, but gently pointing out that by refusing to give it to her, you *are* trying to make that choice for her.

I have 2 car seats that expire in December. I will be getting rid of them.

But, only because I am in foster care and we are required to have non-expired seats. If my bio kids still fit in them, I would still use them.

Why? Exact same reason as the original poster - they have been stored in the basement for much of their life. The plastic degradation times are based on being in a car for much/all of the 6 years. Those kind of heat fluctuations will wear out the plastic much faster than in a climate controlled room. Also, if the seat is safe to use Dec. 31, it doesn't automatically become unsafe overnight. That's just silly. It's a sliding scale.

If I had a friend that needed them, I would give them to her. I would tell her that they are expired and she needs to save up and buy new seats within the year to be safe.

You could also tell her that one of Consumer Reports highest rated carseats, the Cosco Scenera, is only about $40 at Walmart. Consumer Reports rates is better than Britax even. With those prices, there really is no excuse not to buy a new car seat.

I've heard of people selling the covers on ebay and the like. I would do that and apply the money toward a new seat. I like Britax seats, but if it came down to it, I'd buy a new, less expensive seat that isn't expired vs. giving someone a more expensive seat that has expired.

I'd sell the cover from the expired seat and apply that toward a less expensive non-expired seat.

I've heard it can impact payouts in terms of what insurance will cover, but I have no idea if that's true. On this thread someone mentions their insurance carrier asking for dates of manufacture on seats involved in a crash. I'd probably want to know for sure before ever risking use of an expired seat, because that could be a very big deal if it is the case. Hopefully someone will know for sure.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=94834

eta: crash test of 10 yo seat http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=72347

Edited by Momof3littles

I personally wouldn't do it, and I don't think there's any data out there to show what happens to a seat that's even spent its whole lifespan in a climate-controlled warehouse, for instance. I'd be interested to know.

FYI, Babies R Us is having their trade in sale right now, so she could get 25% off a new carseat if she took it there.

She knows it's expired. She wants it for her older child, so a new baby can move into her older daughters car seat.

I guess I can't do it. I think I might put a child of in mine in it, as it's usage was so light, and has been protected in my basement for two years. But I don't want to make that choice for her. I know she will be a little upset, but it's not a friendship breaker or anything.

This kind of sounds like you don't want to expose her child to danger, but for yours it's okay? (I'm sure you don't mean that, it's just how it sounds) Yes I get the "usage is light" part, meaning the roulette odds favor you. But if that's how you're viewing it, then the roulette odds would ALSO favor you if you didn't use a car seat at all. And accidents happen whether they're likely to happen or not. So...:confused:

This kind of sounds like you don't want to expose her child to danger, but for yours it's okay? (I'm sure you don't mean that, it's just how it sounds) Yes I get the "usage is light" part, meaning the roulette odds favor you. But if that's how you're viewing it, then the roulette odds would ALSO favor you if you didn't use a car seat at all. And accidents happen whether they're likely to happen or not. So... :confused:

I guess that does sound odd.

Edited by LibraryLover

I never knew they expired. So, the problem is, when a car is impacted by another or rams into another, the car seat, which is belted into a soft seat, will crack because it is plastic?

I agree, it's strange. I figured it was just another thing people get all up in arms about. How did we ever survive our childhoods? :tongue_smilie:

That being said, we will be buying new car seats now. :glare:

I never knew they expired. So, the problem is, when a car is impacted by another or rams into another, the car seat, which is belted into a soft seat, will crack because it is plastic?

It isn't that the plastic will crack against the seat, but that the straps holding the child in will break through the plastic during the stress of a crash. The video linked upthread shows an example.

I can't see how it would, but I also don't want to take responsibility.

I don't think it matters how much use the seat has had. It has to do with the deterioration of the plastic shell over time. When Indy's Marathon expired, I cut the straps, removed the cover and wrote in huge letters with a sharpie on the front and back "EXPIRED DO NOT USE" before throwing it out. We have his Regent in the basement that we used for several years, but don't anymore and it expires in a few months. It was crazy expensive and it hurts me to destroy it, but I'm going to do the same with it. I wouldn't take a chance with my kid or anyone else's.

I'm not really a huge safety type of person, and I often take risks with things, but I wouldn't hand down an old car seat. My brother is a fireman and he had a call out with a car accident where the car seat broke because the plastic was too old and brittle. I have chucked all my old car seats since then. I even had my SIL ask me if she could have one to use just for awhile and I told her sorry, but no.

I am a safety conscious person, and this is why you shouldn't use expired car seats. You have no idea just by looking at the seat how the plastic is going to react under strain, but the car seat manufacturers have done crash tests. Their recommendations/expiry dates are labelled by law for good reason.

UV light and heat degrade plastic and the seat has had neither for a couple of years so I would feel I could extend it. But I would only do it if the numbers worked out, like if I needed a seat for a couple of years before buying a booster. If I was going to need a seat for 4 years, say, I would just buy the new one since it would happen eventually anyway.

And I wouldn't pass it to someone else.

Yes. I understand that. The usage was so light, compared to what I've seen in even non-expired seats. It hasn't even seen the light of day in two years in a climate controlled basement. How much could it truly have degraded given it's history? I am not going to let her have it, but I am wondering about this from a scientific point of view.

But I still can't take the risk for someone else.

UV light and heat degrade plastic and the seat has had neither for a couple of years so I would feel I could extend it. But I would only do it if the numbers worked out, like if I needed a seat for a couple of years before buying a booster. If I was going to need a seat for 4 years, say, I would just buy the new one since it would happen eventually anyway.

And I wouldn't pass it to someone else.

I don't have a dog in this fight. My kids are older, so I got to skip these particular debates. Anyway, I'm wondering WHAT makes plastics degrade? If light and heat hasten the process, then an expired carseat in a climate-controlled basement COULD be safer than a non-expired seat that bakes in a car every day. Hmmmmmmm.

Also, could the same seat be perfectly safe to use as a booster but unacceptable as an infant seat? In what instances can degraded plastic render a booster unacceptable?

Edited by KungFuPanda

I don't know...if someone is asking for your old seat, I wonder if there's not a financial constraint. In which case, she might just pick one up off the side of the road, in God-knows-what condition.

JMO of course, but I wouldn't hesitate, esp if she knows it's expired.

It's not as though the plastic "knows" what expiration date is written on it, and has given up the ghost on that date. It's obviously been well cared for, which is something you can't say about a carseat from Craigslist, or the curb.

:iagree:

First they tell us a discarded water bottle is going to be around for millenia, and then they tell us a car seat can't last a few years.

I'm sure they set the expiration dates to err waaaaay on the safe side. I can't blame them for that, but it probably means the seat is still quite safe.

That said, here's what I'd do:

Give her the seat and tell her that it's expired, but she can use it for a trade-in. Then leave it up to her to decide whether to actually go trade it in or use it for a little while until her eldest is ready for a booster.

She's an adult. She's been entrusted by the highest power to look out for this child, issued a license to drive a machine that kills millions of people every year, and apparently thus far passed the great tests of parenthood. She can decide this on her own.