Menu

Best Spelling Curriculum

What has been the best spelling curriculum...for your family?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What has been the best spelling curriculum...for your family?

• All About Spelling
    • Building Spelling Skills (CLP)
    • How To Teach Spelling
    • Spelling by Sound & Structure (R&S)
    • Spelling Power
    • Spelling Workout
    • Success in Spelling (Weaver)
    • Other

Question about spelling...What is your preferred spelling curriculum?

I thought I'd post this here instead of the k-8 board in order to include votes from those that no longer have elementary & middle schoolers. There are so many options that I feel like a kid in a candy store with just one nickel. I want to make the best decision for my children because I feel it is an essential skill.

Thanks for sharing what has worked for your family! I don't want to try out each curriculum to see which would work best...ok, some days I am tempted!

Thank you!

Edited by janie_ranae

I'm really hoping the best one is Phonetic Zoo, because that's the one I just bought. :tongue_smilie:

Spelling Power is good because it has so many levels, all in the same book, but in the end, it seemed like just that -- nothing but lists of words, often that didn't seem to "go together" in terms of illustrating spelling rules. I do think it's a good program, though, in terms of completeness and price, and we may end up going back to it at some point for the advanced levels.

BJU Spelling was OK, but nothing to write home about. The DVD Spelling class was fun in the early grades, but then became painfully dull.

I like the concept of Sequential Spelling, but although I bought it, we never used it. I'm still not sure why we didn't try it. I think I bought SS & Spelling Power at the same time, and we went with Spelling Power. Ditto with Weaver Success in Spelling. I bought the complete set on eBay, thought it looked very good, but "put it away for next year" several years ago, and just found it when we were cleaning the garage last week. Of course, I found it after I'd already bought Phonetic Zoo, so once again, it's back out in the garage... :glare:

I think Calvert Spelling is good, and wish we'd stuck with it.

Those spelling workbooks that you buy at Barnes & Noble are actually pretty decent (It's driving me nuts, because I can't think of the name, and I always see them at B&N!) The word lists seem very easy to me, but I would think you could just work through them at your child's pace and they would be fine. (They are also quite inexpensive -- that's why I mentioned them here!)

For younger children, I think Sing, Spell, Read & Write is EXCELLENT. I think my ds learned more spelling and phonics from SSR&W than he did from any other program we used.

Edited by Catwoman

We use Spelling Power. I’m not sure I think it’s the best program out there but it is working for us. Spelling is the one subject that ds hates. Hates. hates. hates. It can bring him to tears regularly. Mostly it’s the boredom, but it’s also that he’s not that great at it. He is similar to me, a voracious reader but a bad speller. My goal for him is to be able to spell reasonably well and mostly just to recognize when he is spelling something wrong so he can go and look it up. I don’t really care if he loves it or if it has a perfect philosophy. Spelling Power gets the job done quickly and relatively painlessly.

I'll admit to liking AAS for the younger crowd, and I have used it for Dd, but I find the words taught to simplistic. Still it gave her a good foundation. We used it through level 3.

This year she is moving on to my top choice for the 4th grade and up crowd---Megawords.

Edited by shanvan

I have used Spelling Power (hated it) and am now using Logic of English---so far so good!!

Combines grammar, spelling, phonics.. pricey though.

What age is appropriate to start LOE (meaning the "upper end"). We are doing well with Spelling Power, at level E.

I ask, because I LOVE LOVE the book ULOE.

Spelling Power gets the job done quickly and relatively painlessly.

Yes, it rewards getting something right by just moving on, and goes over the wrong in a methodical and helpful way. My son hates spelling, too, but he is beginning to see how being proficient at it makes the rest of school go faster. :)

With my second grader we used the Spalding Method in K and 1st, we will be using it this year too. I have to admit I am always pulled to try AAS but I can't justify the cost since both boys attend a language arts focused homeschool enrichment program and they use Spalding. Otherwise we would be doing words from Spalding for homework and then separate AAS lessons. I figured that would probably be a bit crazy. :001_smile:

I

Those spelling workbooks that you buy at Barnes & Noble are actually pretty decent (It's driving me nuts, because I can't think of the name, and I always see them at B&N!) The word lists seem very easy to me, but I would think you could just work through them at your child's pace and they would be fine. (They are also quite inexpensive -- that's why I mentioned them here!)

Do you mean Spectrum?

What age is appropriate to start LOE (meaning the "upper end"). We are doing well with Spelling Power, at level E.

I ask, because I LOVE LOVE the book ULOE.

I have 4 children using it

7yo--advanced reader -- doing great! but the grammar is a little over his head (will probably repeat later)

8yo-- struggling reader--- she does great on the phonics part and decent on the spelling part--not so good on the grammar.

10yo fine

12yo fine

you can break the pieces up and only do parts.

The phonics (for reading) is for any age

The phonics (for spelling) is more work for some ages than others. (but doable, just slower)

The grammar is (IMO) for those that have had some grammar already-- at least for us it is, because I don't want to slow the lessons down for grammar. I want the reading issues resolved in the 8yo and the spelling issues resolved in the 10-12 yos.

Lara

We've tried several things and the only thing has really worked has been Megawords.

This is us, too. Older dd is a natural speller and any program worked with her. Younger dd was an early reader and a horrible speller. Nothing worked until Megawords. We started it in 4th and the improvement has been amazing.

For my dd, straight-forward worked best. Gimmicks and tricks just confused her, so for a few years, I used an old elementary spelling book from the 1950's that I'd found at a library sale (it covered 1-8th grade in one book), then I saw R&S's 8th grade spelling book and liked it, so we used that for 8th grade.

I am going to blend the memory work from AAS with the word lists from Spelling Power. I have no idea how it will work. This is for my 5th graders.

My 1st grader will be using AAS.

I really like AAS, but find the lists a bit simplistic so I picked up SP. Of course I had no idea what it was like and am really not sure if it will work, but I wrote my name in it so I am going to use it. :D

Here's the kicker, dd 9 tested full level higher than ds 10. they don't know it yet. Haven't decided how to tell them. :tongue_smilie: Another problem is she tested into level F and I think there was only one more after that. :001_huh:

I didn't vote because I haven't actually used it yet so I can't say if it works or not (I sure hope it will!), but we will be using Logic of English here. Accelerated with my DD and for a full year with my DS.

We are using logic of English similar to this. One lesson per week with dd6 and one lesson every two days with ds8. So far I love it. Ds is on lesson 14 and is really getting all of it. Especially the grammar which is the hardest part for him since he's a strong reader and speller anyhow. I just wanted to use it for all the rules. But the grammar is great. Dd just finished lesson 5 and while there are some parts that we have to review more (she's very visual, I can't just talk at her), she's really getting it and I can see an improvement in her reading already.

10yo fine

12yo fine

you can break the pieces up and only do parts.

If I don't need more written work from kiddo, could I get away just using the teacher text? I'm happy to dictate words, and print up a few things here and there. I'd be using it for reinforcement, not our primary program.

I voted OTHER.

Why? Not just because none of my preffered programs were on there, but because it really depends on you kid. What mght be magic for some, is like torture for another, KWIM? Or you have a kid who intuitively spells correctly, with a few exceptions, and if you try to use a program it gets them confused. Asking a bunch of random people will just get you a million different answers.

I have one natural speller, but he doesn't care if he spells things wrong or not. I have one who seems to have NO MEMORY for any spelling patterns or rules, and I am starting program number gazillion on him. :tongue_smilie:

Good luck!

I use LoE (I was a beta tester, otherwise I doubt it would've been in my budget) and Apples and Pears (the one from England).

I voted OTHER.

Why? Not just because none of my preffered programs were on there, but because it really depends on you kid. What mght be magic for some, is like torture for another, KWIM? Or you have a kid who intuitively spells correctly, with a few exceptions, and if you try to use a program it gets them confused. Asking a bunch of random people will just get you a million different answers.

I have one natural speller, but he doesn't care if he spells things wrong or not. I have one who seems to have NO MEMORY for any spelling patterns or rules, and I am starting program number gazillion on him. :tongue_smilie:

Good luck!

I use LoE (I was a beta tester, otherwise I doubt it would've been in my budget) and Apples and Pears (the one from England).

This is a very important point.

I voted OTHER.

Good luck!

:iagree: Thanks for the reminder, and that is why I worded the op as "...what has worked best for your family" - understanding it will be different for each family. However, I appreciate hearing what has worked for others and I can learn from that. I realize now that I missed some key curriculum options from the poll. :glare: Sorry. Thanks to everyone who has shared what has worked for your family. :bigear: for more votes/experiences.

If I don't need more written work from kiddo, could I get away just using the teacher text? I'm happy to dictate words, and print up a few things here and there. I'd be using it for reinforcement, not our primary program.

I am pretty sure you could. The spelling tests can be done on regular paper and the rest is pretty much verbal sounds and rules.

I do think that flash cards are needed. We made our own and I think that is the way to go (they really reinforced the lessons by making the cards themselves)

Lara

I do think that flash cards are needed. We made our own and I think that is the way to go (they really reinforced the lessons by making the cards themselves)

Thanks. I think I got rid of my SWR cards too soon. I thought we had the uber-memorized, but a year without them, and I'm seeing some slips.

I do wish it was $55 instead of $95:svengo: Plus much fancier shipping than Amazon.