Menu

Christians have you ever doubted your faith?

I am not looking for replies from those who doubted faith and left the Chrsitian faith. Please feel free to start another thread if that is what you wish to discuss.

I am looking for replies from those who have doubted their faith. Where they came to a point they didn't know what they really believed and came through it with faith renewed. Please feel free to PM me if you are more comfortable.

Thank you.

Absolutely. And then, when a problem large or small comes up and I find myself praying for help, confident God is listening, I know my soul doesn't really have any doubts at all. Doubt can be a time for refining and focusing on the essentials of your faith. An unexamined faith can be dangerous.

I'm still in that process. I find that my faith issues have been stemming from other people, not God. When I take it to the core, I hate all the fighting and he said/he didn't say among God's people. I'm still in the journey and not sure what my "faith" will look like at the end. However, to me, God is the easy part, people are much harder.

And then, when a problem large or small comes up and I find myself praying for help, confident God is listening, I know my soul doesn't really have any doubts at all.
This is exactly what I've experienced. My doubts are surface, for lack of a better word. My confidence is soul deep and solid once I've gotten past the surface doubts.

I try to remember that "faith comes from hearing and hearing from the Word of God". When I am wavering, I try to make myself turn to the Bible, because the natural thing is to withdraw. I also tend to want to skip church...but this is when I find I need to be there most and just hear good, sound teaching! I pray for the Lord to be merciful to me in my struggle and for Him to increase my faith when I am weak.

Faith is hope in the unseen. If we were able to muster that up on our own, we wouldn't need God. I try to remind myself of that. When I do, and when I read His Word, I realize that He already addressed and it and made provision for it on the front end. :)

:grouphug::grouphug:

Yes, of course. Often.

At one point in my late 20's I thought of myself as Wiccan. I just couldn't get past my belief in Jesus and ended up putting more study into the Church and what it teaches. I've been studying for 15 years now and still have much to learn.

Yes, I have questioned my faith - into my late 30's. I grew up a 'non-practicing' Christian. We didn't pray or go to church, but recognized Jesus at Christmas. My first husband passed away when we were young, and it was immediately after his passing that I had an experience that convinced me there is a God and an afterlife.

I don't post often, but wanted to share on this post.

well, i've definitely gone through a stage where i questioned organized religion. i have always had faith in jesus since i became a christ follower in my 20's. sometimes my faith is stronger and other times wavering, but never fractured to the point of unbelief. sometimes my faith has been more self focused than God-focused. different seasons in my walk for sure. i've always come out stronger, but going through it can feel isolating and uncertain none the less. my husband has been in ministry full-time for 10 years, and for me, that has played a role in my journey. people can be amazing and other times... just downright...well...petty. none of it should matter. i'm learning to let it go and trust that god is who he says he is regardless of anything and everything. you aren't alone. many of us wrestle with our beliefs and i think we should. it is what drives us to search and seek, and results in deeper faith and greater trust. :grouphug:

My faith story-

I was raised a fundamentalist Christian. I left the faith very quickly upon reaching college age, finding it did not answer my questions satisfactorily. I have always continued to saerch, and found my faith again in "discovering" the Catholic Church.

I can't finda direct quote right now, so I am taking this from the Wikipedia article on GK Chesterton's book Orthodoxy:

The book is developed as an intellectual quest by a spiritually curious person. While looking for the meaning of life he finds truth that uniquely fulfills human needs. This is the truth revealed in Christianity. Chesterton likens this discovery to a man setting off from the south coast of England, journeying for many days, only to arrive at Brighton, the point he originally left from. He does not at first recognize it, and thinks he has discovered something new—only to find that it has been found by many before him. Such a man, he proposes, would see the wondrous place he grew up in with newly appreciative eyes. This is a common theme in Chesterton's works, and one which he gave fictional embodiment to in Manalive. It is also the way in which he describes his spiritual journey. He thought of himself as making a "blueprint" of what would be necessary in a religion, only to find that the structure had already been built and was standing in front of him—that structure is the Church.

The book has few quotations from (although many allusions to) Scripture. It also lacks authoritative statements by religious authorities. Chesterton sums up the essence of his intention in the introduction when he says, "When the word 'orthodoxy' is used here it means the Apostles' Creed, as understood by everybody calling himself Christian until a very short time ago and the general historic conduct of those who held such a creed. I have been forced by mere space to confine myself to what I have got from this creed; I do not touch the matter much disputed among modern Christians, of where we ourselves got it. This is not an ecclesiastical treatise but a sort of slovenly autobiography. But if any one wants my opinions about the actual nature of the authority, Mr. G. S. Street has only to throw me another challenge, and I will write him another book." Still, the book's message is presented as an intellectual inquiry by an individual looking for an explanation to the mysteries of human existence that satisfies his own innate reason. Yet, after investigation Chesterton is not merely convinced that orthodoxy is the right answer for his needs, but that it is right for all.

Yes. I doubted aspects of it, and it made me question the whole thing.

But then I started from the other side. What if there was no God? That is inconceivable. No Creator? No Redeemer? Nothing? That's much harder to believe than anything else. It's ridiculous, in fact.

So I had to come to a place where I actually accepted that there are going to be things I don't understand. "Now we see through a glass, darkly, but then we shall see in full."

The Bible says, "Lord I believe. Help Thou my unbelief." Doubt is not the opposite of faith. Rather, indifference is.

I have sometimes in my Christian journey. My doubts often weren't so much about God Himself, but through how Christianity was playing itself out (which then reflected upon God). Because I saw all the huge -- really, really huge in some aspects -- differences in the practice of the Christian faith, this confused me and created doubt about whether anything really mattered. (This type of doubt was resolved for me by becoming Orthodox a couple of years ago, because a consistency throughout both the world and throughout time presented itself.)

Within Orthodoxy, I now see that I doubt all the time. If I really believed what God teaches, really really believed it (not just with my understanding, but with my being, too), I'd be humble, giving, loving, gentle, content, full of self-control, I wouldn't worry, etc. This has been one of the gifts the church has given ~ the beginning of the ability to see where things really stand. You'd think more doubt would be suffocating, but a complementary gift of the church is giving us a way to be honest with ourselves, and then to confess our doubts, to be forgiven and to move on again. It's been freeing actually, and I now know that it's okay to "fall" (into doubt, in to any sin), as long as I confess it, get up again and keep going.

I once asked our priest, "What does someone like me [a convert] do with how I struggle with [a practice of the church that I doubted]?" I thought he'd give me some Bible verses and then a plan of action with a number is steps for coming to believe this thing that I doubted. All he said was, "Repent." It was a very wise answer. Don't get into self-condemnation, don't try to figure it all out, don't look at all of life and think, "I can't do it!" -- just repent. Turn and try again. Trust the church that has given you this gift.

I hear and feel your hurt, Jean. I'm sorry and will continue praying for you. :grouphug:

Edited by milovaný

Yes. I think as human beings, how could we not doubt at times? There are many inexplicable, bigger-than-us things that go along with having faith, and sometimes our mere human brains get in the way. Doubt could be instigated by other people, a circumstance, or even just our need to ponder.

Whenever I feel my faith fading or I begin questioning, I go back to the Bible and believers who are stronger than I am in their own faith walk. I ask the questions, seek the answers from those who are knowledgeable (a pastor, renowned Christian author, elder in the church), and I pray. It may sound ironic to pray when my faith feels weak, but it is then when God answers me heartily.

We are not meant to know all the answers; hence, the need for FAITH. I cannot fathom the alternative of there being no God because there's too much that is beyond reasoning; someone had to have brought it into being.

I now see that I doubt all the time. If I really believed what God teaches, really really believed it (not just with my understanding, but with my being, too), I'd be humble, giving, loving, gentle, content, full of self-control, I wouldn't worry, etc. This has been one of the gifts the church has given ~ the beginning of the ability to see where things really stand. You'd think more doubt would be suffocating, but a complementary gift of the church is giving us a way to be honest with ourselves, and then to confess our doubts, to be forgiven and to move on again. It's been freeing actually, and I now know that it's okay to "fall" (into doubt, in to any sin), as long as I confess it, get up again and keep going.

Although I am not part of the Orthodox church, this is so well stated as to how my faith-walk has been. I'm constantly bringing it back to God, and he is answering me. It's when I deny Him, deny that I am doubting, that I falter.

I have, many times. I even walked away twice. I tried to push God away as far as I could. But, He wouldn't leave me alone. ;) Where I am now, I can look back and see that I wasn't yet "home." The doubting, the fighting with God, the walking away was because I was still looking for "home" and though I think deep down I knew where that was, I wasn't ready to be there yet. Entering the Catholic church this past Vigil brought me home, and though I still have my doubts and my questions, and even at time my fears (will I try to walk away again?), I also have a renewed faith that God won't let go of me because ultimately I am His. Interestingly, listening to the Chronicles of Narnia this summer has helped soothe my soul. Just the other night, we were listening to The Silver Chair, and Eustace was saying something to Aslan about how they (Eustace and Jill) were calling and asking Aslan to let them come to Narnia and Aslan replied, “You would not have called to me unless I had been calling to you.”

Yes.

I was raised in a Christian school. I accepted Christ around the age of 10 but after some scandals within the church and school, I developed a negative taste for Christianity in general. This continued into adolescence and young adulthood. It worsened over time. My life spiraled out of control and I was angry at God. I reconciled that anger by saying that I no longer believed. I never called myself Athiest but I identified as Agnostic for many years. I divorced from husband #1 during this time, moved to a different state, and started to rebuild my life. It was during that time that I felt God tugging on my heart and bringing me back to Him. I began praying again. Soon after, I met my current DH and he was a Christian. I started attending church with him and I rededicated my life to Christ. I have not looked back sense.

I'm still in that process. I find that my faith issues have been stemming from other people, not God. When I take it to the core, I hate all the fighting and he said/he didn't say among God's people. I'm still in the journey and not sure what my "faith" will look like at the end. However, to me, God is the easy part, people are much harder.

:iagree: Most of my doubt comes from other Christians. Some people are so immersed in the Law and like to beat people upside the head with it that they completely forget the Gospel. It makes me want to hide my Christianity. The fighting between denominations wears out my faith. When I see Christians say ugly things in the name of religion, it makes me want to renounce my faith. Add to all that my periodic bouts of depression. Yes, I quite often have doubts.

The one thing that helped me get real about my faith was attending a liturgical church. I needed something more than a Jesus feeling for a couple of hours on a Sunday morning. Connecting to Christians across the centuries by worshiping in a traditional manner has really strengthened my faith. Knowing that, any given Sunday, thousands of other Christians are hearing the same thing, singing the same liturgy, communing with God in the same way focuses my heart on Him, not the people who IMHO destroy Jesus's reputation. I don't think my church is perfect, and some members aggravate the snot out of me, but it has been an incredible healing experience. I still have doubts from time to time, but I try to realize that it's not God I'm doubting, just the way people use Him to serve their own purposes.

yes...I have. i have doubted lots of things in my lifetime that I had firmly believed before when the results of my belief did not match with what I thought they would...

For example, I believed if I raised my kids "separate and holy" they would come out the other end with no problems, a firm faith, a great career, a lovely character etc., and what I found out, is my kids are people...and nuture has a great impact, but they still have to make mistakes, they still have to learn on their own, and their salvation and lifestyle will have to be worked out by them.

I have doubted God's love for me many times. I think you know me enough from these boards to know the trials and tribulations I have been through over the past few years. I was in my absolute darkest place last spring.....I likened it to being in the pit of hell....I had a long climb out...and the Lord was faithful to me, but NOT in the ways I expected.

I would be happy to take this PM with you if you want. I am a good listener and not a judge. :001_smile:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Faithe

Of course I have, but the moments of doubt have always somehow strengthened my faith and brought me closer to God! :001_smile:

I have come to a point in my life now where no matter what happens, I am still able to be thankful to God for what He has done/is doing in my life.

This does not mean I am never sad/depressed/angry/in a bad mood about something. I am always confident knowing God has a plan and things will work out, maybe not the way I intend them to in my own mind, but according to His will. :001_smile:

Absolutely. And then, when a problem large or small comes up and I find myself praying for help, confident God is listening, I know my soul doesn't really have any doubts at all. Doubt can be a time for refining and focusing on the essentials of your faith. An unexamined faith can be dangerous.

:iagree:completely. Doubt and examination helps our faith become something that is "ours" and not a cultural construct. FWIW, I am a pastor's wife and even dh doubts at times.

I have had many episodes in my life of doubt and renewal. I more or less fell away from my faith in my early 20s. I had been bullied as a child and felt like God had abandoned me. I didn't have any adults in my life who showed me that I was loved by God. The only messages I received were the tacit approval of the bullies because I never saw any of the bullies suffer negative consequences for their actions. I was always told of my defects that led to the bullying (which I interpreted to mean that I deserved it.) I had many episodes of depression. When I met my husband, I was not attending church. He attended Mass weekly without fail. He never pressured me to go, but often ended dates early so he could be up for Mass. One day, I asked him to take me with him. He smiled.

Fast forward ... the episodes of depression continued to haunt me, early in my marriage, after each child was born, through some health crises with my children and my parents. I was angry at God for not healing me, for giving me more than I could handle and not showing me solutions. I kept going to Mass because my husband was convinced that I still received graces even if I sat in the pew with my arms folded across my chest. I went on a women's retreat at church, which was a tremendous healing experience. I stopped feeling abandoned and those childhood hurts lessened. I still have "dry spells" in my faith, but I have not stopped seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, no matter how faint.

I am not looking for replies from those who doubted faith and left the Chrsitian faith. Please feel free to start another thread if that is what you wish to discuss.

I am looking for replies from those who have doubted their faith. Where they came to a point they didn't know what they really believed and came through it with faith renewed. Please feel free to PM me if you are more comfortable.

Thank you.

Depends on what you are doubting: theology, philosophy, people, or yourself. There are times I get fed up and think, "Is this really for real?"

Anyway, I read this a couple of days ago in case your doubt stems (even if only partially) from people, your church, or yourself. It is Catholic but I find the theme universal and universally comforting.

Akin post

:iagree: Except that I would say God is the easy part, doctrine is what makes it hard for me.

My past 9 years have been one long, convoluted journey of doubt. Sometimes I withdraw from calling myself a Christian. Then I move back to calling myself a Christian. Through the whole way, I continue to attend a Christian church and raise my kids in a Christian upbringing.

It's theology that gives me a migraine.

This is exactly what I've experienced. My doubts are surface, for lack of a better word. My confidence is soul deep and solid once I've gotten past the surface doubts.

I think this is where I am but I can't tell. I am so anxious that all I can feel is fear. I am completely blinded to the truth of what I really believe.

I really think questioning it ALL is good....and even trying to stand on the outside, becoming an onlooker, rather than a participant in your head is a good thing. Sometimes, it is good to stand back and ponder TRUTH. It is agonizing....yet in the end a good thing. It brings you closer into communion with God and helps you to better see his heart and his working in yours.

I will pray for your peace as you go through this growing time. Growing hurts....but looks so nice when it is passed through.

:grouphug:

I'm doubting the whole thing; God, Jesus everything. I know that's ridiculous yet at times I can't see through the darkness.

Please hold me in your prayersif you feel led.

I think this is where I am but I can't tell. I am so anxious that all I can feel is fear. I am completely blinded to the truth of what I really believe.

Sure. But what I've found is that God doesn't want us to have blind faith. Blind faith is foolish faith. Our faith is supposed to be build on what God said, including his promises, which we find in the scriptures. If our faith in things is based on 'how we feel' about something, rather than what scripture actually says, we have blind faith.

That's why scripture says things like "come, let us reason together, saith the Lord" and "my people are destroyed for a lack of knowledge".

Usually I find if my faith wavers on something, I need to study and see what God actually has told us on whatever topic that may be. When I discover the 'rock' to build my faith on, it doesn't waver because it's foundation is no longer 'shifting sand.'

I never questioned my faith in Christ, that has always been rock solid, but I did question my church of origin. After much soul searching, studying, investigation and prayer, I left that faith and joined another. And I can honestly say that I haven't questioned my beliefs since then.

what she said. I lost my son to a heart defect and I have never been the same. Still searching and seeking though....

I am always questioning and doubting, but haven't lost my faith. There is a core piece that is ironclad. The rest is open to doubt. I think I've just accepted that not having answers is part of the process, that being lost is part of the journey, and that a certain point you just accept. I've read a lot about buddhism and while I am not buddhist by any means, there is a kernel there that appeals to me. Jesus did say not to worry about we will eat or wear the next day... :) I think that's akin to being "zen."

I am so anxious that all I can feel is fear. I am completely blinded to the truth of what I really believe.

When I feel like this, the only thing that helps me is to read God's Word; anywhere - any page will do; Psalms where David was in a cave and battling; Job where God had forgotten him. There's something about the truth that cuts through all the lies we believe. My faith was so low at one point that I had told God that I had to leave Him, Christianity just wasn't working for me. And you know what? He held me, He never let me go, He was so gentle; he put people in my path that spoke to my heart in a way I could only just know He had sent them. Some I only realised later. I don't know why you are battling; but I know it's such a dreadful place to be. And I would rather die than go back to believing there is no God, or that He doesn't see and hold my every moment. Otherwise what's the point of it all? It sounds like you really need a prayer partner or someone to hold your hand through this, is there someone you can go to? I have prayed for your peace and clarity and hope.

:iagree: with the bolded especially.

I'm just so tired of all the divisiveness & people wanting to be right instead of being united in Christ.

But I am realizing that my issues are not with God, they're with other sinners who are struggling to make sense on their own journey. When I can remember that part it helps me climb out of my despair about it.

Praying for you!!

Besides the Bible, a book that has been particularly encouraging to me is "Trusting God" by Jerry Bridges. This book came out of his own struggles during the time after he lost his wife to cancer. He is a very meek and soft-spoken man. If you read it, let your mind imagine a kind grandfather speaking to you. :grouphug:

Yes, I have COMPLETELY doubted my faith. Sometimes, I honestly still do. There are two things that keep me going. 1: Even if I strip it all away, in my core, I am a spiritual person. I am going to believe in something, and if I force myself not to I have even more anxiety and depression. Even if I am wrong, I don't want to go through life without there being something bigger than myself.

I guess this is only something that living without it for a season made me realize.

2: Is a carry on from one. If I am going to embrace a spiritual walk, the only one that makes sense...fits all the holes....answers the nagging questions (even if it is only with "mystery,") is Orthodox Christianity.

I don't say that to try to get you to convert. It is just that for me, I would not be a Christian (in any definable sense) if Orthodoxy was not a viable option.

Yes, I have COMPLETELY doubted my faith. Sometimes, I honestly still do. There are two things that keep me going. 1: Even if I strip it all away, in my core, I am a spiritual person. I am going to believe in something, and if I force myself not to I have even more anxiety and depression. Even if I am wrong, I don't want to go through life without there being something bigger than myself.

I guess this is only something that living without it for a season made me realize.

2: Is a carry on from one. If I am going to embrace a spiritual walk, the only one that makes sense...fits all the holes....answers the nagging questions (even if it is only with "mystery,") is Orthodox Christianity.

I don't say that to try to get you to convert. It is just that for me, I would not be a Christian (in any definable sense) if Orthodoxy was not a viable option.

:iagree: Except replace her EO with RCC.

I am not a person who can't believe--I can doubt, and still pause and wonder, but in the end I need something bigger than all of us to believe in. The one that fit my holes was RCC.

Sure. But what I've found is that God doesn't want us to have blind faith. Blind faith is foolish faith. Our faith is supposed to be build on what God said, including his promises, which we find in the scriptures. If our faith in things is based on 'how we feel' about something, rather than what scripture actually says, we have blind faith.

That's why scripture says things like "come, let us reason together, saith the Lord" and "my people are destroyed for a lack of knowledge".

Usually I find if my faith wavers on something, I need to study and see what God actually has told us on whatever topic that may be. When I discover the 'rock' to build my faith on, it doesn't waver because it's foundation is no longer 'shifting sand.'

:iagree:

The year after the fire, after my sister died were very rough. I doubted everything that we had done, left undone, not done. Because of my own conversion experience, I did not doubt the Truth of the Living God, but I doubted how we had lived a life of faith, my response to Him, my expressions of faith/obedience, etc.etc, etc. I hurt. I grieved.

Once my Dad died it was worse. I went from a year of anxiety (like, literally only sleeping a few hours a night) to a year of depression (where getting out of bed was physically difficult). I felt betrayed by God- for so many reasons. I hurt. I grieved.

Until just recently, attending church was like pouring salt into a wound for many reasons. Basically, we have been home-churching for the past couple of years.

Almost 3 yrs later I feel like when the sun is shining I can see the light again. I can (mostly) go to sleep at night- all night, wake up and get up in the morning, glad that it is a new day.

God is God. I do not doubt that. That He is good and His plans for me are good- all of the time- that has been a harder truth for me to grasp. But the last 3 yrs have burned off more dross in my own mind/soul and I really, truly believe that my understanding of who He is is deeper, clearer and my limited understanding of this life of faith has broadened and expanded, rather than contracted.

I will be praying for you. Walking through doubts, anxiety, worry...hard and painful. God knows your doubts and why you are struggling and you are His sweet, beloved child, all the same, through every doubt. Love to you!

Thank you.

I have doubted for brief periods in my life. During those times I questioned all of it. But I have learned that it's actually GOOD to ask questions because that has helped me to define what I believe and why I believe it. I think that if a person's faith can't stand up to questioning, that faith is misplaced. I recommend reading Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, and I also recommend reading books by Josh McDowell or Lee Strobel.

Edited by ereks mom

Elijah had doubt. John the Baptist had doubt. Paul Bunyan's Pilgrim got trapped in Doubting Castle (just learned that, thank you, TWEM!).

I was raised in an evangelical Christian family, and experienced significant doubt as I became an emotional adult.

FWIW, I am still a Christian in part because of several times God has unmistakably corrected my heart. My dad uses the phrase, "Thank you for touching our hearts." Never mind that - I know He's real - He's smacked me upside the head! :D But for sin, not for doubting.

There's a neat website by a ministry called Credo House in Oklahoma City. It's aimed at doubt, and helping people "believe more today than yesterday". I haven't looked over ALL their stuff, but I listened to a neat podcast of last week's sermon and it was on John the Baptist's doubt. I hope this link works.

http://www.reclaimingthemind.org/blog/2012/08/john-the-baptist-doubt-and-my-three-days-as-an-atheist/

The year after the fire, after my sister died were very rough. I doubted everything that we had done, left undone, not done. Because of my own conversion experience, I did not doubt the Truth of the Living God, but I doubted how we had lived a life of faith, my response to Him, my expressions of faith/obedience, etc.etc, etc. I hurt. I grieved.

Once my Dad died it was worse. I went from a year of anxiety (like, literally only sleeping a few hours a night) to a year of depression (where getting out of bed was physically difficult). I felt betrayed by God- for so many reasons. I hurt. I grieved.

Until just recently, attending church was like pouring salt into a wound for many reasons. Basically, we have been home-churching for the past couple of years.

Almost 3 yrs later I feel like when the sun is shining I can see the light again. I can (mostly) go to sleep at night- all night, wake up and get up in the morning, glad that it is a new day.

God is God. I do not doubt that. That He is good and His plans for me are good- all of the time- that has been a harder truth for me to grasp. But the last 3 yrs have burned off more dross in my own mind/soul and I really, truly believe that my understanding of who He is is deeper, clearer and my limited understanding of this life of faith has broadened and expanded, rather than contracted.

I will be praying for you. Walking through doubts, anxiety, worry...hard and painful. God knows your doubts and why you are struggling and you are His sweet, beloved child, all the same, through every doubt. Love to you!

I needed to hear this right now. I'm in the valley and I'm not questioning God but me - has my faith been strong enough - have I not done enough or the right things - for all of these things to happen. (My Mom's death followed quickly by my grandmother's, etc things have just snowballed recently)

I think God is big enough to handle out questions. I read the book of Job a lot when I'm feeling this way.

I have never doubted God. I have questioned my religion (when I was protestant) and that led us straight to the Catholic Church, and that has been a wonderful blessing. It answered and resolved all of our doubts. I have struggled again since then but this has more to do with what my own relationship with God and others should look like, not about God Himself.

I'm doubting the whole thing; God, Jesus everything. I know that's ridiculous yet at times I can't see through the darkness.

Please hold me in your prayersif you feel led.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Prayers for you.

:iagree: Except replace her EO with RCC.

I am not a person who can't believe--I can doubt, and still pause and wonder, but in the end I need something bigger than all of us to believe in. The one that fit my holes was RCC.

I was going to say the same as justamouse. I have to believe in something. I have tried things other than Christianity, but I couldn't fully leave it behind. And for me, the RCC is my home.