Menu

Do you allow music during school work? (poll coming)

Music during school?  

1. 1. Music during school?

• Yes, allow music.
    • No music allowed.
    • Other.

Dd is doing math, handwriting, and 2 OT type worksheets on her own today. None require major focus (math is 2nd grade). When i got out of the shower, I heard music on her ipod.

My first instinct is to say yes AND no! Lol. Yes because she's doing math without whining. No because I used to "study" with music but never retained anything. Her OT said that while dd does like to fidget and hum during work, it does NOT help her concentrate. Forced focus does produce better results. But again, she's not doing anything difficult.

What say the Hive?

Softly - classical music with a non-driving beat in 4/4 meter.

Mozart, Debussey, Chopin, Bach, Mendelssohn, Schubert, Schumann...

NO opera or anything else with voices. Instead of causing increased patterning in the brain, it creates a distraction from the language processing part of the brain.

Faith

I put yes, but it depends on the child. I absolutely allow it for dd14, and I think it would be fine for ds12 (he hasn't asked). My dd14 works better with music. It helps her focus.

I would not allow it for my younger 2. My ds10 has enough issues focusing. Maybe when he's older it will be helpful, like it is for his sister, but right now it would not work. I can see my youngest wanting music playing in the background, but not till he's older. Right now he's too young.

I think it depends on the child. If the work still gets done well, then it's fine.

You need an option for "Absolutely REQUIRE music during school work" :D

The only time we turn off the music is when DD11 is practicing piano. We listen to different genres everyday. For DD and I (and DS16 when he was homeschooling), music helps us tune out the background noise. Of course, the background noise consists mostly of DD11 humming and singing - which is what she does if I don't have music playing.

When DS16 was homeschooling, headphones were a sanity-saver for him so he could ignore little sister's noises and talking.

For the record - this morning I am listening to Daughtry and Cold Play. Yesterday it was something DD18 gave me with John Trane playing the blues on saxophone. Amazing!

We only play classical music for the whole house. No lyrics, too distracting. Also, no soundtracks. DS is a fan of John Williams, but on Pandora's John Williams channel, he spends more time focusing on the movie and whether he has permission to watch it than on his schoolwork.

I allow music. We play music during school every day. We play a variety of music, including music with vocals, because the singing does not distract us. Personally, I have always focused better with music that has vocals, because strictly instrumental music gets totally tuned out after a time. So, I listen to a mix of instrumental & music with vocals. Though, this is likely due to my ADHD & actual need for my brain to focus on more than one thing. I truly focus better when my mind has something else to use as a minor or background focus. That way, the little things that could become distractions get tuned out. My kids have shown no signs of vocals distracting them from their work & have no retention issues. So, I allow them to listen to whatever they want. However, if they were distracted by the music, took longer to do their work, made a lot of simple mistakes that showed lack of attention, had retention issues when listening to music, etc., I would obviously rethink the music issue. The only time I don't allow them to have music on is during their hour of required reading time. I have learned that, while I can listen to music & read at the same time, my kids can not.

yes to music, because it dulls the irritating little sounds that bug my kids (mom, she's coughing on purpose just to annoy me!) but I do make it instrumental music, softly playing in the background. With words we get the "mom, she's singing the wrongs words/off key just to annoy me!"

We play classical if I am trying to get some work done, but if it is only ds doing schoolwork we play either classical or classic rock. Ds isn't distracted by vocals as long as the volume is low, but I can't concentrate with the vocals. I also like to sing along, which can be a distraction to both of us.:D

Yes, we found it actually helped them focus better because it blocked all the background noise. Before dd11 started listening to music during school work every little noise distracted her and she couldn't focus even if it was quiet (she said it was to quiet :001_huh:). I also play classical music for my younger kids working in the school room, they like it. :)

I have an overactive mind and I find that I concentrate better with background music. I also know that if the music has voices or a harsh beat that I don't retain things well. I have applied the same to my kids, mostly because if I have to think in a straight line to teach them, then they have to listen to what I NEED to listen to. Usually what I have on during school is Mozart or Debussy or something like that. I play bouncy up beat music during breakfast, and whatever anyone feels like after school, but only classical and soft during school.

I have actually sorted all my music on my ipod accordingly.

Yes, yes, yes!

DS focuses so much better with any sort of music playing in the background. I suspect it's an ADD-brain thing since my iPod runs all day long but it's only when I'm in between tasks that I realize what's actually playing. Neither of us can function or focus well in quiet situations.

DH is opposite of course, and argues about no music for DS. He claims he doesn't focus, but in reality the "lack of focus" DH complains is about occurs when he gets too busy with something else and forgets to use parental oversight to keep DS on task. As long as he's engaged and kept on task, his focus is just fine.

If the fruit of her doing the work with music is GOOD, then allow it!

I don't understand it, because music is incredibly distracting to me and I cannot think and don't retain ANYTHING. However, my eldest daughter cannot study without noise. She either plays music or has a movie going on her laptop when she studies. What can I say? She is a college junior with a 4.0!!! Now, I admit she is a freak of nature in some ways... :lol: ...but the point is...DO WHAT WORKS!! :)

I do, but in DS's case it DOES help him concentrate and focus better. He has ADHD, and I read that even though the initial reaction of most is to decrease stimulation, they actually focus better with more stimulation. I don't let him listen to it if I'm lecturing, but if he's doing seat work, it's fine.

In your situation, I'd let your kids try it for awhile. If it doesn't impact their attention and improves their behavior and cooperativeness, keep going with it. If it does impact their attention, pull it.

Edited to add: I know a lot of people said they listen to classical, but I found for my son the heavier the beat, the better he concentrates.

Edited by jujsky

Yes, we usually play the Yo-Yo-Ma station or light jazz station on Pandora. During November/December we play Christmas music. During lunch time/chore time I let the kids crank up whatever they like and we dance around.

We listen music without lyrics while we are doing school.

I went with "other," because "allow music" was too broad.

As others have said, I allow instrumental (preferably classical, but my son prefers Celtic stuff) music played at a reasonably soft volume.

As I'm typing this, taking a break from the never-ending writing about the historical movies project, I have a Pandora station based on Vivaldi music playing softly on my computer.

I do, but in DS's case it DOES help him concentrate and focus better. He has ADHD, and I read that even though the initial reaction of most is to decrease stimulation, they actually focus better with more stimulation. I don't let him listen to it if I'm lecturing, but if he's doing seat work, it's fine.

In your situation, I'd let your kids try it for awhile. If it doesn't impact their attention and improves their behavior and cooperativeness, keep going with it. If it does impact their attention, pull it.

Edited to add: I know a lot of people said they listen to classical, but I found for my son the heavier the beat, the better he concentrates.

:iagree:

My son worked through 8 pages of Miquon multiplication, happy as could be today, while listening to Skrillex and Deadmau5. :D

You need an option for "Absolutely REQUIRE music during school work" :D

:iagree: I turn on music pretty much every day while we're working. I only want instrumental music, though, because the lyrics are distracting. I love light classical, but it makes us all sleepy, so we listen to light jazz instead. It's channel 851 on DirecTV.

NO opera or anything else with voices. Instead of causing increased patterning in the brain, it creates a distraction from the language processing part of the brain.

Faith

This.

Faith

This.

• 1 month later...

Faith

:iagree:yep, that's us plus our suzuki and, depending on the work, our mark o'connor cds (the american fiddle version of suzuki).

no words.

I have never been able to concentrate with any sort of noise, including music, even without lyrics. My kindergarteners seems to be the same way, you can tell he gets agitated if he's trying to think/work and something is playing the background. He really doesn't even like to sing the cc stuff, he prefers just to say it, without the motions :001_smile:. My three year old loves to sing, and he can build, etc with music in the background. So I'd have to say it depends on the kid.