Menu

What do you think of the term "babydaddy"

I think the term "babydaddy" is...  

1. 1. I think the term "babydaddy" is...

• Crude
    • Cute
    • Neither crude nor cute, but I don't like it, and wouldn't use it
    • Neither crude nor cute, but I don't mind it and will use it occasionally
    • Neither crude nor cute. I don't mind it, but I don't use it either.
    • Ubiquitous 'other'

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is asinine. Don't forget to put that option in your poll.

Umm.... I didn't use that word exactly, but I think I have an option that might get somewhat close to the sentiment. ;)

ETA: Wow! You guys are fast on a poll. I didn't even get a chance to vote in my own poll and 8 people already voted. :lol:

Edited by Audrey

Tacky.

Bad grammar annoys me... and isn't it just a shortened form of "baby's daddy"?

Because some people aren't "daddy", they're just the sperm donor that slept with the mother and then ran for the hills. :glare: (the only time I use the term "babydaddy" is in reference to such a person) Yes, it's vulgar, but there's really not a nice way of quickly referencing the person.

It is typically used for an unwed mother who has a baby out of wedlock. Many times the father is not all that involved in the baby's life.

That does not make any sense then at all! :lol:

ETA: I mean since I've never heard it that's not what i would have thought.

birthfather

Not exactly. "birth father" to me implies adoption, or at least a step parent.

I think babydaddy means "the biological father of my child, to whom I am not married."

So you wouldn't say "DS's babydaddy;" you would say "my babydaddy."

I think it's...not crude or vulgar, but distasteful, and I would not say it.

Because some people aren't "daddy", they're just the sperm donor that slept with the mother and then ran for the hills. :glare: (the only time I use the term "babydaddy" is in reference to such a person) Yes, it's vulgar, but there's really not a nice way of quickly referencing the person.

Aaah. Thanks. Shows what I know. I thought it was sometimes used for a daddy still in a child's life. So it's not "baby's daddy."

I both find it somewhat crude and have used it... I can think of a couple of times about a specific case of family that I found crude (not that I necessarily should have, but yeah) so I used it.

I've also heard people use it sort of ironically. But then one has to wonder if that's offensive because it is, in a way, mocking the people who use the term seriously.

Aaah. Thanks. Shows what I know. I thought it was sometimes used for a daddy still in a child's life. So it's not "baby's daddy."

It sometimes is, but it implies that the father is irresponsible and you can be in the child's life without really holding up your responsibilities as a father.

Basically, if someone overhears a conversation about someone and the father's name is mentioned: "oh, who is so and so?" It's simpler to say "he's the babydaddy" rather than say, "he's the man who slept with so and so and got her pregnant". Sperm donor doesn't work, because it's not accurate. Father doesn't work for the same reason. Bio-dad implies adoption or step-parent. Nope, he's the babydaddy which encompasses all that could be said about him.

(the things you learn about while living in a poor neighbourhood)

Edited by mommaduck

On the Southwest Airlines show "on the fly," there was a girl who was pregnant and was being required to purchase an extra seat because she was also extremely overweight (even if she hadn't been pregnant). She used "babydaddy" to refer to her boyfriend, as in, "I just want to fly home with my babydaddy here, and they are discriminating against me as a pregnant woman."

So I think it doesn't always have to be a deadbeat dad.

I think it's crude and stupid.

Every baby has a daddy, even if he was just sperm, but seriously, use his name or don't. :ack2: I couldn't say it with a straight face, seriously.

Every baby has someone that may have slept with their mother. Not every baby has a daddy.

:iagree: I have used in reference to a certain family member when I need a quick reference to "babydaddy #1" or "babydaddy #2". It is always used with a deep sigh, some heartache, and an occasional eye roll. It saddens me, and I would never use the term in polite conversation. I do think it is crude, but unfortunately have used it when I really don't have a better term. We are big on adoption in our family and honestly "birth father" is a term I use in high regard, to someone who sacrificed his rights to do the best for his child. A babydaddy has no such positive connotations. I wouldn't use the term for anything else. It is a word that saddens me.

I don't think that it is crude or cute but it is not a word I use much at all. I have seen it used almost equally to describe involved and uninvolved fathers, some who are married to the mom but mostly not. Working in social services I heard many discussions of what made good and bad babydaddies. I think it is interesting to see how language evolves.

As in "She cray-cray" or "She so cray."

Translation: "She is crazy."

Y'all need to get some diversification up in here!

#pandaindahouse

:lol: I seriously love the term cray-cray. I need to find a way to work it into my conversations.

Reminds me of "po-po"

That is how I have heard the phrase used.

When you are in a social group that uses "baby daddy" in a conversation, it's a polite way of not getting mega personal about the "baby daddy"...men will refer to themselves as the "baby daddy" and not go all detail about the other mom, or mothers...if it's spoken in relation to biological ties.

It's actually a distancing term and considered good form. It can be a form of politeness, it's not always a derogatory term.

If I hear this in conversation, that's where I'd sit with it and pick up on it.

It can mean other things, but that's normally the zone it falls in; tone of voice is usually the tip off.

I put other. It's like 'girlfriend' . . . a primarily black phrase that got co-opted by whites and so overused that the original 'feeling' of the word has been altered and now just seems cray-cray.

Didn't Michelle Obama introduce her husband as her kids' baby daddy? Was the original meaning just that this is the kid's dad? Is that what you mean by the original feeling being altered? I mean, you can like or dislike the president's policies but you can't say the man is a deadbeat dad.

Didn't Michelle Obama introduce her husband as her kids' baby daddy? Was the original meaning just that this is the kid's dad? Is that what you mean by the original feeling being altered? I mean, you can like or dislike the president's policies but you can't say the man is a deadbeat dad.

She introduced him as, "my babies' daddy" which isn't the same.

If she was going to use it as described she would have said, "my babydaddy" but that isn't what she said.

Edited by Sis

I see a lot of people saying it is used for the biological father of a child who is no longer involved. Where I live, it is also used for fathers who are still involved with their child but for one reason or another, the mother doesn't feel comfortable calling him "boyfriend" or something. Usually by younger mothers (teen - late 20's ish) who are unwed but are still with the father but not exclusive or planning on marriage.

Edited by BeatleMania

I have heard it used as an insult. I have heard it used by way of expository short-hand. I have heard it used as a joke.

After reading this thread I am now surprised to know that people did not know the meaning of "babydaddy" and "cray-cray". I thought they were both well used standards.

I have heard it used as an insult. I have heard it used by way of expository short-hand. I have heard it used as a joke.

After reading this thread I am now surprised to know that people did not know the meaning of "babydaddy" and "cray-cray". I thought they were both well used standards.

Well I have heard the cray-cray. I have a cousin on my FB that talks this way. I wonder if she can actually spell or if it's just how she talks. Po thang. :lol: