Menu

mashed potatoes - skin on or not?

Do you make mashed potatoes with or without skin?

For me it really depends on the potato skin. If the potatoes are nice, like one you would bake, I keep the skins on. If they are scabby I peal first.

My family by far prefers the ones with the skins on.:001_smile:

When I make mashed potatoes I like them smooth and creamy, so no skins. Sometimes I will make "smashed" potatoes, which I leave somewhat chunky with skins still on. I usually use thin-skinned potatoes like reds or golds for smashing.

If it's at youngest dd's request - yes, skin on. If it's dh's request - no, skin off. If it's my choice - no, in part because it's so much easier not to peel them. but, I do like them better with the skins. Youngest ds doesn't like mashed potatoes so he would prefer I just didn't bother.

Both ways. I partially peel potatoes with heavy or thicker peels, eyes or dirty spots. Only for company do I completely peel the potatoes: it looks prettier. Aren't the peels full of healthy stuff?

:iagree: The most fiber and nutrition in a potato is in the peel. I only peel for people like my ILs who don't tend to eat foods containing fiber. :D ETA - I only make mashed potato with new or baby reds.

It depends on the potato. If I use a thinner-skinned potato, like a yukon gold or red skin (which I prefer), I leave the skin on because it blends up with the potato and leaves nice bits of texture in the end. If I'm using russet potatoes, I do peel them because the skin is more thick and coarse.

I peel them. I did go through a stage years ago of leaving on the skin (red potatoes) after trying some at a restaurant. Believe it or not, this was recently discussed at my house. I overheard ds talking with friends (who were discussing mashed potatoes) about what a horrible period that was. lol Looks like I won't be trying it again.

potatoes are one of the top dirty dozen that carry lots of pesticide. they have found over 35 different kinds of pesticide residue on potatoes!

http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/eat-safe/dirty-dozen-foods#fbIndex10

so if they're organic, i tend to leave the skins on.

if they're not, the skin comes off every time.

fwiw,

ann

potatoes are one of the top dirty dozen that carry lots of pesticide. they have found over 35 different kinds of pesticide residue on potatoes!

http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/eat-safe/dirty-dozen-foods#fbIndex10

so if they're organic, i tend to leave the skins on.

if they're not, the skin comes off every time.

fwiw,

ann

This is what I mostly do too. Although it's nearly impossible to get organic potatoes around here unless I grow my own (I didn't this year because last year I couldn't keep the cats out of the potato bed, and cat droppings don't seem much better to me than chemicals...) Although I've also heard that the pesticides aren't necessarily concentrated on the skin and could just be all through the potato...and it's the skin that has all the vitamins...now I'm going to stay awake wondering how to eat a potato without permanently damaging my health one way or another:lol:

Russet/starchy get peeled, waxy (red, new white) potatoes don't. I don't care for gluey, starchy mashed potatoes, though, so I use reds, peels on.

:iagree: Here too. I use the russet potatoes for baking potatoes. Everything else gets the red potatoes. I used to peel but quit because of the arthritis in my hands. Dh started peeling for me but at some point he wasn't home and I just did the skin on. He didn't like it (once he got home and ate them) at first but realized that it meant he didn't have to peel potatoes anymore either. So now we don't peel potatoes at all.

Peeled.

I don't know what to think.....the skins are so good for you (vitamins).....the skins are so bad for you (chemicals). I can't really afford organic potatoes. :confused:

When I was newly married and lived closer to my in-laws, they had us over to eat all the time. They would peel the potatoes, but then fry the peels with butter and onions. Oh.my.gosh.....were those good! But, I've never done that myself....because again, should I or shouldn't I?? :willy_nilly: