Menu

What is on top of your kitchen cabinets?

I have 8' ceilings in my kitchen.

We like our oak cabinets but didn't like our spindle-country looking molding.....so today, I took it off! Now it looks "unfinished" or bare......there isn't a whole lot of space up there, but I need something.

Dawn

dust.

:D

I had a cathedral ceiling in our kitchen, once. Last house. I decorated it beautifully. Stoneware, plants, the skylight hit everything just right.

The accumulation of grease and dust killed any enjoyment of stuff on top of cabinets.

Now I have 10 ft ceilings and have a gap up there, and I climb up on my counters and clean them all off every few weeks.

The accumulation of grease and dust killed any enjoyment of stuff on top of cabinets.

Yup. We've got nothing up there. If I had my druthers, we wouldn't have hanging cabinets at all. I would just have counters all the way around the kitchen with drawers underneath for everything.

Most of my decorating style is centered around eliminating as many cleaning surfaces as possible...

Yup. We've got nothing up there. If I had my druthers, we wouldn't have hanging cabinets at all. I would just have counters all the way around the kitchen with drawers underneath for everything.

Most of my decorating style is centered around eliminating as many cleaning surfaces as possible...

I actually like that one, myself. And a wall of six over sixes on top.

My mother has pretty baskets and other things up there, like punch bowls and so forth. It looks nice and not cluttered or storage-ish.

My kitchen ceiling is 10 foot, I think. I had the builders put shelves above mine, where I have the lesser used cookbooks, the cookie cutters in pretty little bins and, when it's all fresh, the canned tomatoes.

Me too. That is why, when we built our house, we had our cabinets made to go all the way up to the ceiling, even though our ceilings are pretty high. I hate having those dusty, greasy areas above the kitchen cabinets.

We have pretty decorative plates stood up using those plate stands that I have collected over the years. In the back corner near where the cabinets hits the wall we have some decorative cookie jars, and also a pretty pitcher.

They are all rarely used - I've gotten on a chair and pulled things down a few times for showers I've thrown or something. But for the most part I just wash them all twice a year and put them back up! :)

We use it for storage since we have severe space problems. There's about 18 inches between the top of our cabinets and the ceiling. We have extra coffee mugs, crock pots, aluminum baking pans, cake servers and rarely used stuff up there. Oh yeah, and definitely lots of grease and dust. Anything that comes down to be used needs to be washed first no matter how recently it's been.

I now know where I"m going to store my cans of vegetables when I start canning from my garden. I was wondering what I was going to do with them and the top of the cabinets is the perfect place. I could stick most of the crap up there out into the garage.

I'm decorating them with an Alice in Wonderland theme. Right now I have a few decorative tea pots (don't even go there... I know what you're thinking...) a few large scale decorative chess pieces and a few large decorative bottles with creative labels.

I also have a copy of the book standing up so you see the pretty cover and a stuffed cat. I'm looking for the perfect Cheshire Cat and I'm hoping to find a rabbit holding a sign to put on the counter. You know like those menu pigs, but I need one a white rabbit wearing a vest.

I've never had open space above cabinets before. Our kitchen is not big, so it's nice to have a place to decorate.

I don't have a thing.

But I went to an estate sale recently & saw a cool idea. On top of the cabinets was a menu collection - all these cool-looking menus from some high-end restaurants. I'm thinking "dust magnet", but this was a single well-off guy who probably had a cleaning person, so I'm guessing he wasn't so worried about dealing with the dust.

Decorative, funky cookie jars. :)

At Christmas time I have Christmas decorations up there, at Easter I have some Easter decorations I put up there, and in the fall I have some fall/pumpkin decorations up. This way I at least clean/dust up there several times a year.

All other times are my cookie jars, which I love!

for me, it is a decorating space. our ceiling is "cathedral" and we have beams going across. it's a 1797 log home.

everything is antique and looks like a collection that could have occurred over the life of our home, so it looks appropriate:

two large baskets

various size mason jars

old pie pans

a large painted sign hanging on the wall that says "GROCERY"

yelloware bowls

cheese boxes and old egg cartons

spatterware pitcher

old metal pepsi container with glass bottles

local milk bottles

various old medicine bottles and ink wells we've found on the property

we're in the process of building and i'm not sure if i want cabinets with this space or not! it's definitely a pain to climb up and clean a few times a year (which is getting ready to happen this tuesday :glare:)

I cleaned mine yesterday before I took off the molding.....for the first time in SEVEN years! :tongue_smilie: I just hadn't bothered to look up there before! It was BAD!

Dawn

for me' date=' it is a decorating space. our ceiling is "cathedral" and we have beams going across. it's a 1797 log home.

everything is antique and looks like a collection that could have occurred over the life of our home, so it looks appropriate:

two large baskets

various size mason jars

old pie pans

a large painted sign hanging on the wall that says "GROCERY"

yelloware bowls

cheese boxes and old egg cartons

spatterware pitcher

old metal pepsi container with glass bottles

local milk bottles

various old medicine bottles and ink wells we've found on the property

we're in the process of building and i'm not sure if i want cabinets with this space or not! it's definitely a pain to climb up and clean a few times a year (which is getting ready to happen this tuesday :glare:)[/quote']

Nothing. Although I have dreams of various multicolored pottery (tea pots etc) sitting up there one day. But we have a moulding that rises about two inches from the top and anything I sit up there just gets blocked from view. At least I can't see the dust!

We have the moulding as well, and we place items on top of blocks or books, so they can be viewed.

An enormous box of plastic forks

:D

Fancy! :tongue_smilie:

At this house there's a soffit, so nothing.

But at our old house there was a space, so I liked to decorate. I had a special vase that was a housewarming gift above the fridge, then on the other side I had a set of pretty pottery that was a wedding gift.

I think it's nice to use the space for decorating.

I have 8' ceilings in my kitchen.

We like our oak cabinets but didn't like our spindle-country looking molding.....so today, I took it off! Now it looks "unfinished" or bare......there isn't a whole lot of space up there, but I need something.

Dawn

decorative molding?

ours go up to the coffered ceiling and there is a decorative molding on top of the cabinets.

right this second, the cat. :D

:lol: If we had a space there, that's what I'd expect to see.

But when we did our kitchen makeover we got cabinets that went all the way to the ceiling, thus stopping the cat from hanging out up there.

Now I have 10 ft ceilings and have a gap up there, and I climb up on my counters and clean them all off every few weeks.

Keeping tops of cabinets clean:

At one townhouse we had, I started putting down wax paper on top of my cabinets. You can't see it and every few weeks/months/years:tongue_smilie: I'd climb up and change out and just wipe off the edge. Much easier!!!

I lay parchment paper on top of my clean cupboard tops and every once in a while I take the paper down, toss it and put clean back up. The accumulative dust, grease, etc is contained on the paper and it's easy to just wash the edges. Anything decorative I put up that must be dishwasher safe, so I just toss the pretties into the dishwasher and everything is clean.

One year I laid down slightly scrunched tinfoil and laid white lights up on the cupboards. The tinfoil sort of reflected the lights up all glittery like onto the ceiling.