Menu

Upstairs master bedroom?

I've never had it any other way, so I don't hate it. I can see an advantage to a main floor master, but I do like where I live now so I won't be moving.

My mom always wanted a master on the main floor. I guess until I was 9 and we moved that's what she had, but for almost 40 years she's lived in a house with the master upstairs. She doesn't like it.

If you have small children it's nice to be able to hear them and get to them quickly if they are crying or need you, so being on the same level with littles is good.

Built in exercise is good.

I had a house with the master downstairs and the kids upstairs. Hated it.

I had a house with the kids downstairs and me upstairs. Hated it.

I hate not being on the same floor as my children. Hate it.

If it's a New Englander thing, that New Englander I am. Bedrooms belong upstairs, out of the way of public spaces within the house.

I grew up in a house like that, but now we're in a ranch. My mom always said that she would never sleep on a different floor than us kids. It's the home they plan to stay in until the end and there is a room on the first floor that's an office that could eventually be a bedroom for them in their 'old age' as my mom calls it.

Our old house had the master on the main level, but we used one of the upstairs bedrooms as the master because it was too hard being so far away from kids when they were little. We just moved back downstairs a few months before we moved, and I did kind of like it while it lasted. But we're back upstairs in the new house, and that's fine, too. Especially since we're expecting another baby now. My ideal floor plan when we were looking was actually space for us and a potential baby/toddler/small child on the main level (so 2 bedrooms) and then room for the big kids either upstairs or in a nicely finished basement. But that was a little too specific to make a deal breaker!

I am currently in a cape cod style house with 2 bedrooms upstairs and 2 downstairs. For years my kids have hated being up there alone. Now that my daughter is in high school she has decided she loves it.

My next house will definitely have all bedrooms on the same floor.

We are looking at new construction in Texas right now, and the plans I like the best are ones with two bedrooms down ( the master/ guest bedrooms) and three bedrooms up. We are going to put our three boys in the upstairs bedrooms, and the downstairs bedroom will be useful if we have aging parents living with us in the future. The house we're in now has all the bedrooms upstairs. I'm not sure what that will be like having my young ones so far away at night....we might have to install some kind of intercom system ;) . I think as they get older, it will be wonderful to have a bit of space between the parent's room and the boys!!

We have all 4 bedrooms upstairs. I love being on the same floor as my kids. Now that they are older, though, I wish there was a little more separation between the master and the kids bedrooms. We share a wall with one of the kid's bedrooms, and I don't like that. Otherwise, I like the separation between the public and private areas of the house.

We lived in a house like that for three years. I liked being on the same floor as my little kids. But, my life looked a lot like this.... Time to walk out the door, need to brush hair. Run upstairs. Grab brush. Run back down. Realize I left phone upstairs. Run up. Back down. Realize I set car keys down when I went to grab phone. Run up. Back down. DD cries for random stuffed animal. Run up. Back down. DS spit up on shirt. Run up. Back down.

I'm really a big fan of one stories. ;)

We lived in a house like that for three years. I liked being on the same floor as my little kids. But, my life looked a lot like this.... Time to walk out the door, need to brush hair. Run upstairs. Grab brush. Run back down. Realize I left phone upstairs. Run up. Back down. Realize I set car keys down when I went to grab phone. Run up. Back down. DD cries for random stuffed animal. Run up. Back down. DS spit up on shirt. Run up. Back down.

That said, there is a neighborhood here that I really like and a lot of the houses are like that. I wouldn't rule out doing it again. I would embrace the fact that my legs would be sore for the first couple of weeks until I got used to it again.

I also grew up in a house with the bedrooms upstairs. And because of that, I think 1st floor bedrooms are wierd!:001_smile:

:iagree:

I feel like there is less space in a house with any bedrooms on the first floor even if the square footage is the same. I've rarely seen houses with only the Master Bedroom on the first floor.

So, in answer to your question. Yes, I have often had a second floor master bedroom and have always loved it.

In no way do I want to be on a separate floor from my kids

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I remember reading once about a house fire where the parents were able to escape because their bedroom was on the first floor of the house. They were not able to save their children, whose bedrooms were upstairs.

I will not live in a house where my ds's bedroom is on a different floor from mine. It is an absolute dealbreaker.

Our house has the master on the main floor and the other bedrooms upstairs. We were hesitant at first ( bought it 18 years ago while I was pregnant with youngest).

We have LOVED it. I can't imagine it any other way, and it was a really great layout when someone was sick. The ill person could be in our bedroom during the day, away from us but still 'near' us, and we could continue homeschooling.

I love that during storms the kids could all come to the main floor and sleep on couches while dh and I stayed in our bedroom. We have had some really serious storms over the years.

When my elderly parents come visit, we can give up our bedroom and take an upstairs one to save them the struggle of the stairs. And it gives them privacy.

This house is 130+ years old and yet the layout is PERFECT for our needs. Love it.

Ours has all family bedrooms upstairs, and guest room downstairs. Growing up, dad's house had all upstairs; mom's had kids' rooms upstairs but master bedroom downstairs, and my sister snuck out all the time (but she likely would have no matter the layout).

We have a ranch style house with the master bedroom and parent retreat (big enough for a twin sized bed, crib and dresser) at one end and three bedrooms at the other end. For us this is an ideal set up. I could not imagine being on a separate floor than the children.

I really wanted the master down with the kids up. The house we ended up purchasing has all beds up. It would be nice to allow guests to stay down too, but our lives look a bit like the quote above.

I've only once had a house with bedrooms on both upper and lower floors. That was a townhouse we rented but it was the master that was up, and at the back of the house. My son's room was down and at the front of the house. I wasn't really happy with it because it would have been very easy for someone to break in and snatch my son, but I knew that was highly unlikely. All other houses have either been a ranch style or with all the bedrooms upstairs. Usually when they are all upstairs the master is on one side of the house and the others are all on the other side.

How old are you? At my age the stairs are getting kind of rough. We have three upstairs and one downstairs and it works ok. The family is upstairs and the guest is downstairs but I tell you if my room was downstairs and I never had to go upstairs, it would not break my heart. I cannot wait to downgrade to a ranch.

I don't see a house with the master bedroom upstairs often and around here they can be hard to sell. I would think that with the population aging, this will continue to be a problem.

This is definitely the case where we live. Most houses have the master down and the other bedrooms upstairs. Our house, however, does have the master bedroom upstairs along with the kids' bedrooms. We almost didn't buy because I thought we would have problems selling. It turned out that we love the master upstairs because it means you can only run the upstairs air unit at night. This really helps if you live in a hot climate and want to save on your electric bill. Where we live, the air running at night is non-negotiable.

While sometimes a little more privacy would be nice, when I go through a week like I did recently with several children up sick in the night (7 year old with UTI and vomiting for a few nights and 11 year old with a nosebleed he couldn't stop on his own after 15-20 min), it was nice not to have to keep running up and down the stairs.

I had a house with the master downstairs and the kids upstairs. Hated it.

I had a house with the kids downstairs and me upstairs. Hated it.

I hate not being on the same floor as my children. Hate it.

If it's a New Englander thing, that New Englander I am. Bedrooms belong upstairs, out of the way of public spaces within the house.

Yup, same here.

I would only look at floor plans with the master on the top floor. I love that the master and nursery are down a long hall from the other bedrooms and bath. Gives a feeling of privacy while still being close. And my little ones (if they ever sleep there) are right across the hall.

Me too.

I strongly prefer to be near enough to hear my kids well.

I like it to, but admit I wouldn't mind hearing them a little less.

But I think that has more to do with the fact all three bedrooms and the only bathroom are upstairs. Add in the fact the house is about 1000 square feet and compared to the Canadian average it's pretty small.

Our last house had most of the bedrooms (except for eldest's) upstairs. It also had a little desk area. I loved it. In this house the master is downstairs and the kid bedrooms are upstairs with the laundry room. I hate it so much. My kids are older, so I hardly go up there in the first place. Then, I broke my foot and didn't go up there for about 6 weeks. DH was gone for a large part of that. When I finally did go up there? It was horrible. It was Mordor. It was a war zone. We will never have a house like this again, if we can help it. In fact, if we were going to be here longer than the year we have left? We would consider moving.

I'm just 31 but thinking about resale value. Also running up and down the stairs 1000 times a day would get old. In our current two story home I go up once or twice a day max to put someone to bed.

I don't agree that it's a burden to walk up and down stairs. I think of it as a butt lift.

Seriously, I get in some serious steppage during the day. Between up and down the stairs and back an forth in the house, I added a lot of steps during my day. It's healthy!

All of our bedrooms are upstairs. I have no problem with it. If I was buying a 'forever' house, I would consider the master downstairs to make it easier as we age.

My kids are getting older and I wouldn't worry so much about being on separate floors.

It isn't the bedrooms that you have to worry about. Make sure there is a bathroom on each level. Biggest PITA ever is not having a bathroom on the main floor.

:iagree:

Sometimes, when I'm watching House Hunters and first-time buyers are loving a house with no bathroom on the first floor, I want to slap their Realtor for not telling them what a nuisance it's going to be for them if they buy the place.

Master bedrooms on the main floor are popular in areas with a large population of older people and in retirement communities and to some extent, newer developments. Most commonly houses were built with the bedrooms all on the top floor or down a hallway from the main living areas.

As a parent with young kids, sleeping on a different floor from them (and not hearing them when they wake up) is a non-starter for me. I would only consider houses with enough bedrooms on a single floor for my whole family. I would not mind a spare bedroom in the basement or main floor but would not consider a house where I had to sleep on a different level than my kids.

I'm just 31 but thinking about resale value. Also running up and down the stairs 1000 times a day would get old. In our current two story home I go up once or twice a day max to put someone to bed.

Then you would hate my house- 3 levels and the entry and my office on the ground level. So I go up and down, up and down all day. It really does not bother me. I figure this way I get a little exercise even when I am lazy and skip on most physical exercise that day.

Besides, if your kids are upstairs don't you have to go up and down all day and night when they are small?