Menu

My SIL picked the names for her twins.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, that's why I'm thinking she'll change her mind.

I am close to my mom and I would not have named my son something she hated. Thankfully she only had ONE negative reaction to a name...and it was VERY negative. I won't post the name because it is a perfectly nice name....but she says the name like it is poison....lol....don't know why she hates it so much.

ROFL on MIL. Well she was kind of begging for it if she asked what people thought. :tongue_smilie: I don't like matchy names either.

I have a 2 nieces and a nephew that have names that I loathe and I never said anything. After my last niece was born my dad made the mistake of asking me directly what I thought of the name. We were alone, so I told him I thought it reminded me of a pole dancer. Ooops - think I ruined the name for him too. :lol: To each their own though. And I love my niece tons! I know my ILs hated my son's name when he was born - it's my maiden name (British origin) so there was a good reason for picking it and it totally suits him as a first name. I think they like it now. My parents were delighted with the name though. My daughter's name is Ella. My dad called her Emma for a few months. LOL.

The reason I wanted to say something because afterwards she put "what do you think?"

Made me want to share what I thought but I didn't have to.. my MIL did and that went downhill quickly and she deleted the status. Oh well, next time we talk I'll ask her about names and see if she changed her mind. :tongue_smilie:

If you quoted me can you delete it? I'm going to erase the names from the OP so it won't show up if she googles it. ;)

You will need to send a PM to everyone who quoted you. Many people will not see your request.

ETA - you really need to do that or get this thread deleted. It is the FIRST thing that comes up in a Google search!!!

Edited by kitten18

So you have a brother and a BIL named Christopher? :001_huh: Does that get confusing?

My husband's two younger aisters married men with the same names as two brothers. We have a Mike and Michael, Jon and Jonathan (full names are the brothers, short names are the bils...but the two sisters call their husbands by their full names.) It rarely gets confusing. But it is kind of funny.

You will need to send a PM to everyone who quoted you. Many people will not see your request.

ETA - you really need to do that or get this thread deleted. It is the FIRST thing that comes up in a Google search!!!

You're right! I just googled out of curiosity. I would definitely ask to have the thread deleted.

I can't count the number of times I have googled things and had the first results come up as this forum. *cue Twilight Zone music* It kind of freaks me out.

Always best to save opinions on names to yourself. Why hurt someones feelings? I'll be honest, my dd is Mikayla and even reading the negative comments here from people I don't know kind of hurts mine:001_huh: I can't understand why people even care what names other people use.....to each his own.

Always best to save opinions on names to yourself. Why hurt someones feelings? I'll be honest, my dd is Mikayla and even reading the negative comments here from people I don't know kind of hurts mine:001_huh: I can't understand why people even care what names other people use.....to each his own.

:grouphug: I always cringe when I see name bashing. As large as this forum is, there is bound to be someone in our community that has used the name.

Your dd shares that name with my sweet niece :001_smile:.

Yup, that's why I'm thinking she'll change her mind.

My Mom didn't like the name we chose for my oldest. She made that clear when I told her we were considering it. I didn't really ask for her opinion but she gave it. I finally told her"Just so you know, that will very likely be the name if it is a boy. You might want to be careful about what else you say." To her credit, she never said another word and mostly I've forgotten that she didn't like it.

I would never comment on a name someone else has chosen no matter how awful I thought it was. If someone asked my opinion even I'd be careful what I said. I might say "I like X better than Y." but I wouldn't say "I don't like X". Yes, they shouldn't ask if they don't want to know but I think most of the time people who share baby names are looking for people to say how cute the names are and not really looking for the truth. It might be different if they post a list of a bunch of names and solicit opinions, but if they post a particular name it means that's what they've chosen.

With my second and third we told no one the names in advance. No one makes comments after the baby is born and named. None of our kids have particularly unusual or weird names and all are spelled traditionally but I didn't want to hear "Oh, I knew a Mary in school and hated her." or whatever comments people would make.

Well, George Foreman named all of his sons George, so I guess it could be worse. :tongue_smilie:

In college I met a girl named Mary. She had several sisters. They were all named Mary. At least they got different middle names and always went by those. She said they were named for Mary mother of Jesus (not for the mom, so no numbers at the end of their names like George did).

Don't bother saying anything, unless she asks your advice directly. The invented spelling is the most heinous offense, imo. But, it could have been much worse. She could have named them both George Foreman.

Eta: lol Darla beat me to it. :D

Edited by Audrey

I've always thought the name Mikayla was pretty. It's the second name that rubs me the wrong way!

I'm curious as to what the mil said..... :lol:

Last year my son in law and my daughter posted the name they had selected for their baby boy who was not due for another 12 weeks or so -- they informed everyone on FB -- I mistakenly offered my opinion (and all of you here were correct...it was none of my business) -- my comment to them created hurt feelings and I learned the hard way to keep my mouth shut regarding their name choices.

DD is due in mid september now, and truthfully, they can name this little one anything they want -- I am NOT opening my mouth to them about it with an opinion.

So you have a brother and a BIL named Christopher? :001_huh: Does that get confusing?

Yes I do and yes it does. Especially when talking to the kids because when we say Uncle Chris they really have no idea which one we're talking about and we have to specify my maiden name or dad's last name. When we talk to each other we say ”my chris” or ”your chris”...it's a handful...lol

Btw: So they are also the same age as well, they were born 6 days apart...lol

Edited by Mo_Babee

Yes I do and yes it does. Especially when talking to the kids because when we say Uncle Chris they really have no idea which one we're talking about and we have to specify my maiden name or dad's last name. When we talk to each other we say â€my chris†or â€your chrisâ€...it's a handful...lol

My sister and SIl share not only the same first name but the same middle name too. We now say Auntie T____ for my sister and Auntie T____ L___ for my sil. Things can become very confusing otherwise. When my Brother and Bil talk or my parents and her parents, they have to do the My T, your T stuff.

When I found out I was having twins, the first thing my father said to me was, "Well, whatever you do, don't name them Fay and Ray." This being the names of a great aunt and uncle of mine who are twins. Hehe.

We did give our twins paired middle names. But they're not cutesy. They're literary.

Even if it's a bit cringeworthy, you obviously can't say anything. That's clearly the consensus.

Just be thankful when you say their names that they were not named orangejello and lemonjello ;)

Being on the other end it is very hurtful when fmaily has a negative comment about a name. WHen we named dd12, my family made fun of her name constantly due to the spelling. It is spelling in Gaelic, so a proper spelling, but they made fun of it until dd wound up in tears about it at age 6. For the first 3 months of her life gramma called her Katie instead of her actual name because she thought it was a better name.

The comments with Hunter were not at bad but they hated his name too and made it clear, though they liked it better than Xavier which is what I had considered naming him. They were so unrelenting about that name that I opted for my 2nd favorite name instead.

Keep your opinion about it to yourself. You may not like the names but one of the perks to being the parents, is the priveledge of naming the children.

Edited by swellmomma

Being on the other end it is very hurtful when fmaily has a negative comment about a name. WHen we named dd12, my family made fun of her name constantly due to the spelling. It is spelling in Gaelic, so a proper spelling, but they made fun of it until dd wound up in tears about it at age 6. For the first 3 months of her life gramma called her Katie instead of her actual name because she thought it was a better name.

That's awful. I'm so not a fan of nontraditional spellings, but to tease someone about her name? Especially when the child has no control over the name or the spelling? Yikes. :grouphug:

In dh's family there are 4 boys and 1 girl. They are all married, which means there are 5 women (4 sils and one sister)). Out of those 5 women, 4 have names that start with Chris/Kris. And there are two Kristens. Dh and I wre the last to get married and whenI discovered this, I wondered if part of the criteria for marriage into this family was a name starting with Chris/Kris.

We told DH's parents what we wanted to name DD (Miriam) soon after we found out she was a girl. We had decided on that name, and we were very happy with it. MIL told DH to absolutely not name her Miriam, and that if we named her that she would persist in calling her Isabelle instead.

DH reminded MIL that she would probably be calling her mostly by the Korean name that she and FIL were picking for her. ;)

But we did end up deciding to go with another English name for her. It wasn't a big deal to either of us, really. We liked Miriam better, but we were hoping we would have a second daughter so we could eventually use this name. :)

Yes I do and yes it does. Especially when talking to the kids because when we say Uncle Chris they really have no idea which one we're talking about and we have to specify my maiden name or dad's last name. When we talk to each other we say ”my chris” or ”your chris”...it's a handful...lol

I have a triple name problem. My brother has the same name as one of my dh's brothers, and dh's sister is married to a man with that same name, too. So my son has 3 Uncle ThatName's.

ETA: It isn't as confusing as you might think, though. One ThatName lives in the States, one in Europe and one near us. So, the only time we have to figure it out is if ds takes a phone message and says "Uncle ThatName called..." Okay. Which one?

Edited by Audrey

I have a triple name problem. My brother has the same name as one of my dh's brothers, and dh's sister is married to a man with that same name, too. So my son has 3 Uncle ThatName's.

ETA: It isn't as confusing as you might think, though. One ThatName lives in the States, one in Europe and one near us. So, the only time we have to figure it out is if ds takes a phone message and says "Uncle ThatName called..." Okay. Which one?

This is why I prefer the Korean method of naming Aunts and Uncles (I'm not Korean, but DH is). Koreans have different words for mom's side and dad's side aunts and uncles. And then the further differentiate between aunts and uncles that are blood related and those that are related by marriage. Furthermore, they like to tag on descriptors to the titles, so that one uncle might be called "oldest uncle" and an aunt might be called "Washington aunt" (that is, lives-in-Washington aunt).

My husband has 16 aunts and uncles, and there are unique titles for each one. The system is a nightmare to learn as a foreign speaker, but once you've got it down it's really very convenient.

:grouphug: I always cringe when I see name bashing. As large as this forum is, there is bound to be someone in our community that has used the name.

Your dd shares that name with my sweet niece :001_smile:.

There was a thread a few weeks ago where someone posted a blog or article about the worst bames....something like that. Part of both of my kids names were in the list. I love their names, they lovr their names, our family loves there names. It was still hurtful to read what people had to say about their names :(

There was a thread a few weeks ago where someone posted a blog or article about the worst bames....something like that. Part of both of my kids names were in the list. I love their names, they lovr their names, our family loves there names. It was still hurtful to read what people had to say about their names :(

:grouphug: That would feel hurtful to me too. :grouphug:

Please don't say anything. When I was pg the first time I told my family all of our considerations, they did not like a single one. So it made naming really difficult. We got smart for number 2 and didn't tell anyone, they were horrified with our choice and didn't believe us (they thought it was a joke). With number 3 we forgot about all the hassle we got the previous times so foolishly told, again we were told "ewwwww...". There is no way in heck I am sharing our names wih my family this time. No way! I know they are going to hate our boys name, but I frankly don't care. They had their chance to name their babies, don't interfere with mine.

All our kids names are on the top 100 chart so it's not like we named them anything weird. I think some people just can't be pleased.

Speaking their minds did nothing to change ours and all it accomplished was hurt feelings. Please say nothing.

:iagree:

I remember that thread -- I think that my dd13's name was one of the top three hated names for girls and I am pretty sure that ds11's name was on the list rather high up as well.

and, ftr, they both have rather 'typical' not 'out there' names.

I wouldn't mention it. They're her kids and it's her business.

But... I can't stand cutesy names, especially names that defy spelling conventions. The first name is becoming more common, but that second name is going to be a pain for both the child and the mother. Really, how many times do you want to have to answer the question, "Could you spell that, please?" Not everyone needs to have a common name that everyone knows the spelling of, and many people give their kids names that reflect their ethnic heritage and that may be spelled unusually to others -- but sticking a child with a stylized name you made up for its looks or sound is not necessarily a great gift. ;)

I think we never really forget a negative comment made about our child's name. When we told a family member our plans to name our fourth child, she made a comment about what it could be compared with. (Not this name, but for example, if we had said "Mary" and she said, "Hairy Mary?") Though we are perfectly happy with our children's names, I still get that "ick" feeling whenever names come up and she's present. I still hear her making that tenuous comparison and it annoys me all over again.

Anyway, sometimes you can't see the issue with a name until your child has had it for years. Sometimes you pick a name that you think is very special and it turns out ten billion other people thought so that year, too. :rolleyes: Some names lose their appeal when 12,000 different spelling variations hit the scene. Sometimes, you just can't win with others.

My inlaws hate my sons name (Theodore) or nickname (Teddy) so much they won't call him by his name :glare: they just use his initials. It wasn't a problem when he was a baby but now that he is 4 he doesn't know who they are talking to. :001_unsure:

This is why I cannot understand why people announce the names before the birth. Some people are always going to nose in or have something to say, but I think the majority of people don't even think of saying anything after the birth. But before... they feel like it's up for debate.

People will already confuse them without the matching names. Why make it harder? I have a friend with b/g twins named Daniel and Noelle. I've actually called them 'Danielle' and 'Noel' on more than one occasion! I don't know why. Noelle told me it wasn't the first time she's been called Danielle. :lol:

I wouldn't mention it. They're her kids and it's her business.

But... I can't stand cutesy names, especially names that defy spelling conventions. The first name is becoming more common, but that second name is going to be a pain for both the child and the mother. Really, how many times do you want to have to answer the question, "Could you spell that, please?" Not everyone needs to have a common name that everyone knows the spelling of, and many people give their kids names that reflect their ethnic heritage and that may be spelled unusually to others -- but sticking a child with a stylized name you made up for its looks or sound is not necessarily a great gift. ;)

You know there are a lot of not particularly cutesy or unconventional names that people have to constantly spell (Sarah with an h for example or Caleb with a C).

I like my name, which isn't cutesy or unconventional, but I've always had to spell it and still do. If it ever bothered me I certainly can't remember it now.

Twins are hard to name or were for us.

I used to babysit twins Timothy and Thomas and their little sister Tamara. Yes, they did go by Timmy, Tommy, and Tammy :tongue_smilie:

:lol: I actually like that. It's amusing but not in a bad way. I think it's cute, but, then again, I'm a Tammy :D. I keep saying these names together fast like you would if you were calling them in from outside. :lol:

This is why I cannot understand why people announce the names before the birth. Some people are always going to nose in or have something to say, but I think the majority of people don't even think of saying anything after the birth. But before... they feel like it's up for debate.

:iagree: