Menu

Help me go through with the MRI

RE: Left shoulder impingement

The X-rays were not conclusive. The nurse said there is a "bright white area near the shoulder joint" and I have to have an MRI.

The thought of it really freaks me out. I've already told the doc and she ordered me some "anxiety meds." Not sure exactly what.

So what should I expect. It isn't like being in a coffin and buried alive is it? That is what is freaking me out. I don't have a date yet. I'll know by the end of the week.

I have had many MRI's, since I'm at high-risk for breast cancer. I actually look forward to MRI's, because they are so relaxing to me. I usually fall asleep. I don't think it is at all like being buried alive in a coffin. Both the front and back are completely open. They never close you in. For mine, they put on some nice classical music, and I get to just lie there for 30 minutes and relax. :)

I almost fell asleep during both of mine as well. They offered me headphones with music but I opted for the foam earplugs. They gave me a warm blanket and offered a washcloth to put over my eyes (keeping eyes closed the whole time can help with sensations of dizziness while you're being moved). It didn't feel like a coffin to me, more like a cozy--albeit noisy--cocoon.

I had a friend who was very anxious and I went along for support--I held her leg the whole time. :001_smile:

Take the meds the first time.

I had my first MRI last December (no meds). It did weird me out a bit. Mine was feet first, which helped. But what got me was having to lose my glasses...I just can't see and it freaks me out. Ya know?

the tech took my glasses, handed me earplugs, and said lay like this...kinda stressed me out.

My dh was able to hold my fingers throughout the process. Mine took about 45 minutes. No headphones because people tend to fuss with them according to the tech.

After I got in and settled and all--then they move you in I kept my eyes closed for a big part of it....it wasn't bad. LOUD. They make you wear earplugs--which I hadn't known...so freak out moment to deal with. Once you get going...yeah, I could have gone to sleep. Next time, I hope I do get a nap in.

I sang praise songs silently to myself and kept the beat with my fingers holding dh's hand. He had no idea, but it amused him. Singing REALLY helped me relax...and because it was only in my head--it kept from irritating the tech. :D

Edited by Happy
chemo brain makes for poor spelling..

I sang praise songs silently to myself and kept the beat with my fingers holding dh's hand. He had no idea, but it amused him. Singing REALLY helped me relax...and because it was only in my head--it kept from irritating the tech. :D

Oh! Good idea! I can say the rosary in my head and count on my fingers.

It wasn't bad. The noise was loud. The music helped a lot. The only thing that bothered me was not knowing how much longer. It was great to be done and have a good diagnosis. Focus on that.

20 years ago they were tunnel like and it was best to keep your eyes closed. Now they have open MRI machines that are more like a huge doughnut. Go look at it ahead of time. It's not so bad, just loud. I always ask them to keep me posted on time. They will tell you if it's say 30 minutes, then every section they can tell you 20 more minutes, 13 more minutes... It makes it easier for me. You'll be fine. :grouphug:

20 years ago they were tunnel like and it was best to keep your eyes closed. Now they have open MRI machines that are more like a huge doughnut. Go look at it ahead of time. It's not so bad, just loud. I always ask them to keep me posted on time. They will tell you if it's say 30 minutes, then every section they can tell you 20 more minutes, 13 more minutes... It makes it easier for me. You'll be fine. :grouphug:

Okay. I'll ask. Thanks.

I had one a few years ago. I was worried about it, and I was all set to have a friend there to read to me, etc. I thought I would be thinking, the whole time:"I'm stuck in a tube like a coffin! I'm stuck in a tube like a coffin! help! get me outa here!" Instead I decided to use a different coping technique: I decided to pretend I was not there.

It turned out fine. It was loud, but like I said, I was pretending I was not there, so it did not bother me that much.

I don't know if that's any help at all.

But after having many panicky moments in my life (just before surgery, for example) I decided I just didn't have the energy to panic again.

:grouphug:

I have had several and my experiences were 100% different than everyone else's.

I have been in that tube for an hour + and it was terrifying for me. The only time it was bearable was when I freaked out (before going in) and they had to have a doctor come sedate me first. I tried valium another time and was so hysterical it did nothing. My mother said I was white as a sheet when I came out and I couldn't speak for almost 10 minutes.

Its freezing cold, its claustrophobic and the noise (banging and banging) is deafening.

I had an open MRI which was slightly better. Its like having a giant space ship land almost on top of you and maybe the very end of your fingertips are extended out.

My girls have had many, many MRIs and they use the video goggles and watch a movie of their choice--not sure if that is an option for you or not.

The biggest complaint they have is that the MRI is done before the movie is done and they can't stay in the machine to watch the rest of it.

I think that music or a video would really help. Call the hospital ahead of time and see what they offer.

I've had two "closed" MRI's. Not all closed machines are the same. The first time I was in a longer tube, face up, and it seemed much louder to me. I kept my eyes shut because my face was very close to the top of the tube. The second time was just a few months ago but it was a short bore machine and it was a breeze! Maybe you can find out if it's a long or short bore MRI before you go ...the place I went to recently had photos of their MRI on their website.

Both times the technicians were very, very nice. I let them know that I'm claustrophobic, but I was driving so meds weren't an option. They were so good about talking to me and letting me know what was going on and how much longer it was going to be.

Why not do an open MRI??? Those are widely available.

And closed MRI's are not really "closed" there is an opening to slide you in and out:D Even if the table broke and couldn't "slide" you out, what is the worst that will happen? You scooch down and out you go!:001_smile:

It doesn't hurt and no radiation. Throw on some headphones and listen to music. Easy peasy lemon squeezy:lol:

You can do it!

Why not do an open MRI??? Those are widely available.

And closed MRI's are not really "closed" there is an opening to slide you in and out:D Even if the table broke and couldn't "slide" you out, what is the worst that will happen? You scooch down and out you go!:001_smile:

It doesn't hurt and no radiation. Throw on some headphones and listen to music. Easy peasy lemon squeezy:lol:

You can do it!

:iagree:

I have had (I had to go back and count) 47 MRI's, dating back to 1988. Insurance loves me :). I think I have been in every style machine they make, including upright and watching television. Ask around at different facilities (you have a right to get the test anywhere, not just where your doc recommended, as long as it works financially, ie insurance coverage). Different places have different set-ups and different distractions-- headphones, music, mirror o you can see the room, open design, TV, etc.

The technicians will work to make you as comfortable as possible and explain everything. You will have a panic button to request they pull you out, and they can hear you if you talk to them, at intervals they will all to you. You can keep your eyes closed and kind of nap. I generally feel good air flow. For a shoulder they may not even stick you all that far in, depending on design, and you are not shut into anything.

Good luck :). It isn't a big deal... Been there and done that and done that and done that and ....

I am terribly claustrophobic. Really bad. Can't even swim under water and elevators are really hard. I had to have an MRI - it was one of the closed ones.

I made it thru thanks to the drugs. It wasn't anything I would choose to do for fun, but the drugs made it possible.

my very anxiety ridden son had to have one, and he did okay.

He was pretty terrified during, but the whatever that they put around his head to keep him still had mirrors above, so that he could see me peeking in at him even though he was lying face-up, on his back, couldn't move. So we could maintain eye contact the whole time thanks to the mirrors; that helped him.

It is crazy noisy. I was going to sing to him, read to him, etc. but he couldn't hear a thing over the noise of the machine and with ear protection on.

He was in too far for me to hold his hand, if I remember right, but I could hold my hand on his leg, and did, and sang to him even though he couldn't hear, for he could see me singing.

He did have a panic button to press if he wanted/needed, but he never did. he just kept thinking to himself that getting done would be better than starting over. He cried some during, but not much, and was able to keep still and endure it.

After, he came out all smiles and "that wasn't so bad! That was kind of fun!" so I think the anxiety was mostly build-up/worry ahead of time, not so much during, even though during he was nervous, if that makes any sense. In other words, he stressed himself out so much ahead of time that during, the stress was there and came out, but the actual experience didn't stress him and that showed in how quickly he recovered once it was over.

As I'm in Brazil and not the US, and no one else has mentioned, hopefully you won't have the little cage thing over your face. that freaked my son out more than the machine, and also the noise. But the tech let him hear the noise, see the machine, etc. for quite a while until he got comfortable seeing it before making him go in it. They were very accommodating.

If it's open, you'll be fine. I had a closed, and they had me stuffed with blankets and though I am not claustrophobic, I started to freak, badly.

I closed my eyes and sang children's songs to myself-because that was all I could remember I was so scared.

So, close your eyes, and find your happy place and *really* concentrate on it.

I got the call today. I go in tomorrow (Thursday) at 1. The fun will start promptly at 1:30.

With all the things I can't wear, I might as well go in my PJs.

They will have you change into shorts/gown while you are there, so just wear what you want. I would leave your jewelry at home though, I don't like leaving that in a lock box out of sight.

I got the call today. I go in tomorrow (Thursday) at 1. The fun will start promptly at 1:30.

They are usually very kind and understanding. Do take the Valium or whatever drug your doctor prescribed (but it will mean having a driver.)

The machines are often fairly large now so that your face isn't all that close. Even so, it helped me to have a cloth to have over my eyes. They do make a racket--sounds like hammers banging on metal for part of the time, but that is not constant.

Just wear a sportsbra with no metal hooks and something with an elastic waistband and you should be fine. With the Valium, you may even fall asleep despite the noise.

Tomorrow is my truly ick day of this week's chemo treatment--and my LAST so I'm happy about that. I shall lounge upon the couch and send you my happiest and best thoughts.

Be brave and remember...this too shall pass...

Will it be open or closed MRI? If you can do open do that.

I have a fear of enclosed spaces and had to do a closed MRI. I was told the secret is not opening your eyes and mentally going someplace else. I intended to keep them closed but opened them briefly at one point and it was a mistake. Still, I got myself under control (thinking of a song if I recall). I've heard of people putting a cloth over their eyes so if they open them they still won't see the walls. I see that suggestion a lot actually and I wish the tech had suggested it to me. I was not medicated either. I'm sure that will help you.

If it's open you'll be fine...if not put a cloth over your eyes and think about anything but and you'll still be fine!

I'm a bigger gal and the sides felt too tight for me. I had to actively claustrophopia at bay by reigning in my mind with worship songs. Also, VERY helpful - a blindfold or washcloth over your eyes. I was in an open tube, but the top was mayby 2-3 inches from my face.

I hqve had a few. Dd12 has had a few. There is a large space you can see out of. It is not like a coffin, more like a huge pipe. Look outside, stay still, and try to focus on the music they will let you listen to. You will be ok.

I wonder if it is calcium deposits? Please keep us posted.

I've had 2, 1 for my knee so I was only in part way. The other for my back. I was okay fro quite a while just antsy from not being able to move which is why I had my back checked in the first place. They should give you head phones, I found it helpful to take some deep breaths, close my eyes and just do my best to relax it is hard with all the banging and noise but try to relax.

Hope you made it through the MRI fearlessly!! I am going to have an MRI done on Tuesday for shoulder problems and I too am a little anxiety ridden. I am trying to stay calm though and remember it will all be worth it to find out what is causing my discomfort!

I lived!!

I wore my sleep mask in and the worst part was the noise. It sounded like I was being bombarded by some futuristic weaponry. :D

My legs were hanging out so I was not fully enclosed.

I had to come home and sleep since I woke up at 4:30a. Then there were the normal things that needed doing and church then a class so I didn't have time to check in. Sorry about that.

I lived!!

I wore my sleep mask in and the worst part was the noise. It sounded like I was being bombarded by some futuristic weaponry. :D

I had to come home and sleep since I woke up at 4:30a. Then there were the normal things that needed doing and church then a class so I didn't have time to check in. Sorry about that.

I knew you would be ok!!! Glad it is over.

:grouphug:

I lived!!

I lived!!

Yep, it is crazy loud inside! I am glad you got it done and will hopefully have some answers soon!

Glad to know you came through!

My dad likens it to being similar, but not as intense, as the drill sergeant banging a hammer on a metal trash can to wake the recruits! :D

You'd think that technology would be advanced enough by now to have taken care of the noise issue.

Faith