Menu

Ballet/Modesty....advice?

First, I want to say that I realize that views on modesty vary from person to person, but I'd like some input on this situation.

My DD6 is nearly finished with her 2nd year of ballet. She ADORES it. She dances everywhere she goes and looks forward to class every week. As of now, I have had no issue with any costume she's been asked to wear or the content of her routines. However, today during a rehearsal for the upcoming recital I got the opportunity to watch some of the routines for the older girls and quite frankly, I was appalled. Some of the costumes were very questionable, some of the moves were very suggestive, etc. I was a little shocked as my DD's teacher (who is also the owner of the studio) is a Christian and I didn't think she would allow the other two teachers to teach routines such as this.

I'm torn. My DD absolutely loves doing this and I don't want to take it away from her, however, I don't think it's fair to allow her to continue to progress in this studio when at a certain point, we would never allow her to participate in some of the sorts of dance moves or wear certain costumes. The studio does offer a liturgical class, but DD won't be old enough for that until 2nd grade, I believe, and even then she will still need to take the ballet and technique classes later on. I'm not sure if limiting her to those classes only would solve the problem. I will watch carefully the performances of those this year at the recital.

There are only two other small studios near us. One of them is actually closer to us, but the teacher is not friendly at ALL and a little rude and I'd rather not deal with her (I also don't know if her older girls perform this way as well). I don't know much about the other one.

The only professional studio is entirely too far for us to drive too on a regular basis and even the tuition is out of our budget.

Any thoughts? WWYD?

I'm guessing the dance studio is not strictly ballet. My dd's studio was strictly ballet. I never had a problem with costumes or dances.

I see more suggestive dressing and dancing in programs that include other genres. Would you be able to limit her dance to strictly ballet classes at this studio?

I would find out if the dancers doing the routines and wearing the costumes you object to are in "ballet" classes. In my experience it is unusual for traditional ballet classes to have the routines or costumes that would raise eyebrows. At the studio who my dd takes ballet they also offer jazz, tap, hip-hop and nightclub (adults only) classes. After observing all the classes I know that we would never let her take the hip-hop class even though it is offered starting at 8-10 yo because the dancing is very suggestive. We will stick to the traditional ballet.

Maybe (hopefully?) this is the case at your studio. Maybe it was a rehearsal for a different type of dance class.

HTH

Amber in SJ

I'm guessing the dance studio is not strictly ballet. My dd's studio was strictly ballet. I never had a problem with costumes or dances.

I see more suggestive dressing and dancing in programs that include other genres. Would you be able to limit her dance to strictly ballet classes at this studio?

:iagree: The ballet dances and costumes are very traditional. It's jazz and hip hop that you might want to avoid.

My dd's are now 12 and 14, but we had done preschool dance for one year and it was okay. At the year end recital I got to see what the older girls were doing, and like you, I was appalled at the costumes and dance movements and was not interested in having my girls continue on that path.

So the following year I enrolled them in a Scottish Highland Dance school. They did that for a couple of years and I was very happy with it. My girls then tried musical theatre and they love that and have stuck with that for the last few years.

So some other ideas you could look into if they are available in your area are:

Highland dancing, Irish dancing, or any type of ethnic dancing

Gymnastics (rhythmic gymnastics has a fun dance element to it)

musical theatre

I don't know, I always thought ballet was fairly revealing. Especially for males! It can't just be me because when I searched for images of "ballet men," it suggested "bulge." But I don't think a leotard is extremely "modest" because it allows the body to be clearly shown, which is sort of the point, as the idea is the body's shape meant to be clearly seen by many of the costumes. However I would clarify with the teacher.

I don't know, I always thought ballet was fairly revealing. Especially for males! It can't just be me because when I searched for images of "ballet men," it suggested "bulge." But I don't think a leotard is extremely "modest" because it allows the body to be clearly shown, which is sort of the point, as the idea is the body's shape meant to be clearly seen by many of the costumes. However I would clarify with the teacher.

Yes, this is why I always shake my head when the whole "modesty/ballet" threads start. Seems like a contradiction in terms to me.

That said, yes, I agree that what is often objectionable are the suggestive movements. We have no religious-based modesty concerns but find this, well, trashy, so when Molly wanted to do some sort of dance we chose Irish Step. She loved it for a while.

astrid

It is not a strictly ballet school. The younger ages are a tap/ballet combo and then a the 2nd grade mark, they branch out into different genres. I *think* that I could limit her to only ballet, technique, and liturgical classes later on, and I plan to keep a careful eye on the performances of those specific classes at the recital next week.

My dd's are now 12 and 14, but we had done preschool dance for one year and it was okay. At the year end recital I got to see what the older girls were doing, and like you, I was appalled at the costumes and dance movements and was not interested in having my girls continue on that path.

So the following year I enrolled them in a Scottish Highland Dance school. They did that for a couple of years and I was very happy with it. My girls then tried musical theatre and they love that and have stuck with that for the last few years.

So some other ideas you could look into if they are available in your area are:

Highland dancing, Irish dancing, or any type of ethnic dancing

Gymnastics (rhythmic gymnastics has a fun dance element to it)

musical theatre

I know that there is a clogging group in town (is that the same as the Highland or Irish? I'm not too familiar with those).

Maybe I should clarify here as well. Standard leotards for girls(as long as they are not too low cut), tights, and tutus don't bother me. The costumes I objected to had midriff showing and/or looked similar to lingerie.

Sort of like these:

post-33091-13535086682136_thumb.jpg

I would look into other studios- it's recital season, find out when theirs are and go check them out.

There IS such a thing as a modest studio. We have every style of dance, from ballet to jazz to hip-hop, lyrical, tap, etc. At our studio no recital costume is ever two-piece or revealing, and ALL the choreography is age appropriate, as is the music that is danced to.

Now, for competitive dancers who dance solos, duos or trios, they are permitted to choose their own costumes, and the two-pieces have been trending, but the parents have to approve the costumes, and choreography is still appropriate. But our dance studio owner is adamant that at the family-friendly recital, the costumes will be appropriate and beautiful.

There really are good, solid dance studios out there who are not trying to turn little girls into pole dancers. Hopefully one of the other ones in your area understands the concept of family values.

If you mistook the suggestive dance for ballet, it's possible that it was a modern dance or lyrical number. Does the studio offer these classes?

Honestly, those costumes were a bit much and I have a pretty high tolerance for seeing midriffs. I'm a bellydancer and I don't wear anything that revealing. This year, my homeschool troupe is wearing a folkloric costume that covers everything.

58e943b8.jpg

If you mistook the suggestive dance for ballet, it's possible that it was a modern dance or lyrical number. Does the studio offer these classes?

Honestly, those costumes were a bit much and I have a pretty high tolerance for seeing midriffs. I'm a bellydancer and I don't wear anything that revealing. This year, my homeschool troupe is wearing a folkloric costume that covers everything.

58e943b8.jpg

Yes, the studio offers all sorts of dance from ballet, lyrical, and jazz to hip hop and tap. It very well could have been a lyrical number. I think the key for me this year may be to just watch the different numbers in the recital carefully. In the program, it lists the title of the song they will be dancing to as well as the class, so it could help show me what the older girls are doing in the straight ballet and technique classes.

My guess is time will help you solve this issue. Don't worry about it til it becomes an issue is my first piece of advice.

:iagree: My daughter is finishing her 9th year of ballet, but I could have written your post at the time of her first recital. I opted to stick to ballet for a few years and just observe and in time there were other classes and teachers I felt comfortable with. See what time brings--teachers change, costume styles change, and your level of what's acceptable may shift a bit when she's older. So far she's not been asked to wear a costume I'm not comfortable with and I'm fairly conservative.

:iagree: You won't find this problem in a classical ballet school. Unless you object to the look of a traditional tutu.

Jazz, lyrical, and hip hop don't have to be inappropriate. You could ask the studio owner about the costumes and moves. We are pretty strict about what we do. No bare midriffs, always wear tights, no inappropriate moves or music. I would chexk out the other studios annd ask your dds teacher.

I have similar concerns. My dds just do the ballet classes and so far have not had to wear anything I'm uncomfortable with. The problem comes at the recital. My girl's costumes and dances are fine but some of the other classes dances have me squirming. I just can not see how anyone (parents that is) can enjoy watching young girls dancing in suggestive ways. In fact, my dad isn't going to my dds recital this year because the older girls jazz dance last year was just too much. I don't know what the answer is, other than not taking part at all, which I hate to do as my dd12 just loves ballet and it is really good for her.

The year that the recital theme was Michael Jackson music, we didn't take part. That was going too far for me.

There IS such a thing as a modest studio. We have every style of dance, from ballet to jazz to hip-hop, lyrical, tap, etc. At our studio no recital costume is ever two-piece or revealing, and ALL the choreography is age appropriate, as is the music that is danced to....

Jazz, lyrical, and hip hop don't have to be inappropriate. You could ask the studio owner about the costumes and moves. We are pretty strict about what we do. No bare midriffs, always wear tights, no inappropriate moves or music. I would chexk out the other studios annd ask your dds teacher.

I would ask the studio about it. They should be able to speak to you about what their guidelines are for costumes, moves, and music. As PP's have said, genre makes a difference as well.

Dance is a sport that can be enjoyed for a lifetime. Don't give up on it without talking to the studio about your concerns.

I

I know that there is a clogging group in town (is that the same as the Highland or Irish? I'm not too familiar with those).

I'm not familiar with clogging. You could google Highland Dancing, and Irish Dancing and see what they are all about. They are very popular around here.

There IS such a thing as a modest studio. We have every style of dance, from ballet to jazz to hip-hop, lyrical, tap, etc. At our studio no recital costume is ever two-piece or revealing, and ALL the choreography is age appropriate, as is the music that is danced to.

\.

Our dance studio is appropriate and teaches all genres of dance including ballet, tap, jazz, hip hop. etc. The Hip Hop kids are probably the MOST modest class. They wear hoodies or t-shirts and jeans at recital time. :D Our studio is also performance based and non-competitive. At least locally, the competitive studios tend to be more racy in terms of dance moves and costuming. And it's true leotards aren't particularly modest, I would agree! :tongue_smilie: But 2 piece or revealing costumes are not ok in my world and I've been very happy with our studio choices. They have a "uniform" of black leotard and pink tights for most of their classes.

Irish dance or folk dance are good choices too if you have modesty concerns and limited options.

:iagree: You won't find this problem in a classical ballet school. Unless you object to the look of a traditional tutu.

No, I don't object to that, but the nearest classical school is well over an hour drive away (we couldn't afford to pay for that much extra gas) AND the tuition is out of our price range as well.

I did send a message to the studio owner/dd's teacher. I'm waiting to hear back from her now.

You may want to think about what modesty means to you. Dance is about bodies, and if bodies make you uncomfortable you need to know your limits. In ballet you are covered in a whisper-thin layer af gauzy fabric that shows every muscle and curve. In Irish step you'll see naked legs on raised stages all the way up to white panties (and don't get me started on the awful wigs). Having issues with exposed body parts might make it impossible for you to enjoy watching dance. I do get that the original objection was to an oversexualized routine, but tight or revealing costuming isn't going anywhere.

Generally, sticking to solely ballet studios is your best bet, very traditional and not midriff baring. My girls do Irish..love it! Competitions have rules of no makeup for under 12 and costumes are to not be 4 inches above knee and must go all the way up to the neck with no cutouts...it is focused on the dance and technique...just hoping more natural hair takes on, it takes me two hours to curl their hair...do not like wigs ...but love the dance and athleticism!

You may want to think about what modesty means to you. Dance is about bodies, and if bodies make you uncomfortable you need to know your limits. In ballet you are covered in a whisper-thin layer af gauzy fabric that shows every muscle and curve. In Irish step you'll see naked legs on raised stages all the way up to white panties (and don't get me started on the awful wigs). Having issues with exposed body parts might make it impossible for you to enjoy watching dance. I do get that the original objection was to an oversexualized routine, but tight or revealing costuming isn't going anywhere.

My girls compete in Irish and wear black shorts under...they come mid thigh...no problem...tight and revealing do not describe Irish.

When my girls did ballet last year, we went to a classical ballet studio instead. I don't want my girls wearing full-blown make up or shaking their tushes at 5 years old! Classical ballet was great. We went to a small, private studio that was owned by one lady. The classes were about 5-6 girls. The only reason we stopped was because it was too late in the evening for us. It didn't start until 5:45 pm. Maybe there is a place like this in your area that is just not advertised? Good luck. :)

Guest submarines

:iagree:

:grouphug:

i'm glad she loves dance.

the first studio the girls danced at was like that. dh almost walked out of the first recital; the upper elementary aged classes were unbelievably sexualized.

i didn't know what to do. a friend recommended another one (we were lucky in that we had several choices nearby). we talked about it in our homeschool group and got enough children together to make a class. so she started a homeschool combo class for us during the day (ballet and tap). we were clear that our reason for changing studios was the age-appropriateness of the choreography and costuming.

nevertheless, two years later, when dds were 5 and 6, the costume for the homeschool class had a bare midriff. our 6 year old came out of class and told me she was sad that she couldn't be in the recital. when i asked why, she told me she wouldn't "appear in public" with a bare tummy. i went with her to speak to the teacher. the teacher found a costume with a mesh middle, but asked dd before she presented it to everyone else. dd said she wouldn't wear that either, and maybe she shouldn't dance. third time was the charm; the costume the teacher picked went with the dance, and looked wonderful, and was decent by dds standards.

now, as teens, the homeschool class is still going, and the costumes and choreography are wonderful. the other eleven classes they take are across a range, but with only one exception have all been appropriate. they still have learned to shimmy, etc, but not when they were babies.....

hth,

ann

I have similar concerns. My dds just do the ballet classes and so far have not had to wear anything I'm uncomfortable with. The problem comes at the recital. My girl's costumes and dances are fine but some of the other classes dances have me squirming. I just can not see how anyone (parents that is) can enjoy watching young girls dancing in suggestive ways. In fact, my dad isn't going to my dds recital this year because the older girls jazz dance last year was just too much. I don't know what the answer is, other than not taking part at all, which I hate to do as my dd12 just loves ballet and it is really good for her.

The year that the recital theme was Michael Jackson music, we didn't take part. That was going too far for me.

This happened with us, too. We ended up just doing the dancing and skipping the recital. They always have a dress rehearsal for the last day of class and invite parents to come during the normal class time. You only see your kids' classes. So we do that, take videos, invite the grandparents... and then my kids don't go to the actual recital. The teacher knows about it, so she stages knowing we won't be there.

For me, just to give you other things to think about it, it was for my son. He was in those classes, often the only boy, and then in another class that was just for boys. I was NOT comfortable with him being backstage waiting to go on with all those older girls parading around. I think about brothers of those girls as much as the dads, uncles and grandpas. It really just disturbs me.

Yes, this is why I always shake my head when the whole "modesty/ballet" threads start. Seems like a contradiction in terms to me.

It is true that classical ballet costumes fit around every curve. However, they are about movement, not about noticing body parts.

Costumes that specifically reveal midriff or embellished to suggest more tend to be associated with other dance. I think it gets really problematic when costumes are matched to a suggestive dance (girls with ripped tops, fishnets and dark makeup dancing some of today's popular music).I really wonder why they can't do technically demanding dance steps to age appropriate music and story telling.

Additionally, the classical ballet taught in my region does not incorporate sexually suggestive movement.

As for the men, if you are actually looking at his parts, then he is not dressed. The dance belt worn under tights obscures male parts.

I'd also talk to the parents and find out how the staff handles concerns about costumes. My DD dances at a combo studio, which, until this year, has been very reasonable as far as costumes/moves.

However, this year her Jazz class was doing a "Spanish Dancer" routine. And apparently "Spanish Dancer" costumes weren't available from their usual costume companies, so they went with a different company. The costume in the catalog was fine when pictured on about a 16 yr old, but when we got them and put them on our little 6-10 yr old girls, (with most of the girls about 7-8), it looked like more like child prostitute than Spanish dancer. It was just plain very low cut, had gathers to give a definite suggestion of bOOks, and a ruffled, short in front, longer in back skirt that just didn't work.

The girls ended up wearing their black leos under the costume, which brought the neckline up, some extra trim was added to provide extra coverage in other areas and bring the front of the skirt down, the black gloves that came with it were not used, and the hair/makeup styling was done to be less mature. The result, on stage, ended up actually being cute and they did actually look like the Spanish dancers which was the goal, not mini-streetwalkers.

And the studio director's comment was "We know what company we're NOT ordering from again!".

I'm willing to leave her at that studio, because even though the costume choice was pretty appalling, the studio responded well to the concerns.

We are so lucky. Our dance director is a Christain homeschooler!! Yes she uses popular music but there is nothing too risque about her choreography. Not shimmies at the audience or booty shaking. She also covers bellies in all of her costumes. I am not a big fan of bare middles and I am not what you would call conservative at ALL.

If you have issue with some of the costumes you can always opt for a nude leo underneath. We use them anyway due to the number of changes we have at competition and recital.

It is true that classical ballet costumes fit around every curve. However, they are about movement, not about noticing body parts.

Costumes that specifically reveal midriff or embellished to suggest more tend to be associated with other dance. I think it gets really problematic when costumes are matched to a suggestive dance (girls with ripped tops, fishnets and dark makeup dancing some of today's popular music).I really wonder why they can't do technically demanding dance steps to age appropriate music and story telling.

Additionally, the classical ballet taught in my region does not incorporate sexually suggestive movement.

As for the men, if you are actually looking at his parts, then he is not dressed. The dance belt worn under tights obscures male parts.

Yes the point of ballet at higher levels IS to see the butt and hips. That is the only way a judge can determine of the technique is correct. Our director is always grabbing hips, pushing in butts, and pulling on legs and feet. It is a very concise form of dance. The costumes should cover the whole butt and not be too low cut though. Again-nude leo is a savior.

I have 3 girls in dance. I once asked our studio owner about costumes. Our studio advertises they use conservative costumes, but it seems that applies to the recreational lines. Anyway, the studio owner said if she didn't include scanty moves and costumes, the dances would be rated lower in competitions. The parents would then be unhappy about that. I think if you have kids in dance, you have to accept the moves and costumes. I don't think dance is for everyone. I think about this often.

I have 3 girls in dance. I once asked our studio owner about costumes. Our studio advertises they use conservative costumes, but it seems that applies to the recreational lines. Anyway, the studio owner said if she didn't include scanty moves and costumes, the dances would be rated lower in competitions. The parents would then be unhappy about that. I think if you have kids in dance, you have to accept the moves and costumes. I don't think dance is for everyone. I think about this often.

Again, it is more about what the dance is projecting than the costumes...someone said it best that their girls would score less if they did not go with the customs of the day..lunfortunately, the customs even for six year olds leans toward the risque and shake your booty...just watch that dance moms show! However, I have never felt classical ballet to be risque or shake your booty...all those who have a higher tolerance for sexualizing children through dance have to find their limits on their own. My limits are very low for this, so we just waited for a dance school to open up that was like minded...lucky we found it, and more are popping up all the time...they go where the money is, if more would stand their ground, more traditional schools of dance would return.

Anyway, the studio owner said if she didn't include scanty moves and costumes, the dances would be rated lower in competitions.

We've found this to be quite the opposite. Our studio actually won a judges' award recently, and the judge said that the award was, in part, because she was thrilled to see age-appropriate costume, moves, and song (about friendship).

Clogging is kind of like tap dance- I've done both, and I think clogging is like tapping on the wrong beat, starting on the wrong foot, and calling everything by a different name, LOL! (I tapped for about 6 years before I started clogging) BabyBaby is a clog dancer, and she LOVES it! Oh- it is commonly done to country/bluegrass music.

We started out with 7 years at a classical ballet school. The school quickly became too intense- too much time/money (no competitions) and the only option for Diamond at that time (age 10?) was to take 1.5-2 hours of ballet 4-5 days/week or quit.

We are finishing our 6th year at a performing arts school. We asked to see the past two years' recital videos before we would sign up for a class. Out of 60+ numbers (all classes- no solos/duets/etc) there were maybe 2 songs I wouldn't have picked, and 1 costume that seemed skimpy. But overall, it has been great. We are moderately modest. Diamond (17) always wears a leotard -usually with a sports br@ underneath for coverage- and dance skirt or shorts, depending on the class. Leotard is the dress code- no b00ty shorts and br@ t0ps on the girls. Her recital costumes have been OK. Tap is almost always a short dress, ballet is a tutu or dance dress. Lyrical this year is shorts and an open-back top, but it is high-necked in front. Hiphop is actually wearing a tutu, and it is her most covered-up costume.

My advice? For little ones, ask to see the recital video or costumes and song list, especially of the older classes. The teens at our studio might wear slightly "older" costumes, and dance to "older" songs- but not anything sle@zy. Diamond's tap is to "Money can't buy me love." The 3yo class she helps with is doing "Tikki Tikki Room." My tap class is doing "You make me feel so young." Oh- boys in the classes wear looser jazz pants- not tights.

ALso, check the dress code. Some schools allow and encourage b00ty shorts and br@ t0ps for class! With no tights! :ack2: I won't even describe their recital costumes. :glare:

And remember that to properly assess and correct a student, the teacher really does need to see the body lines- ballet in baggy sweats and a loose T-shirt can be dangerous- really! Incorrect technique can case serious injuries.

Check out the school's website- it should have photos of dancers of all ages.

And also, discuss your concerns with the studio owner. Tell her your DD loves class/dance, but you can't allow her to continue and be exposed to (politely phrase what you find unacceptable.) Speak up! Let people know what you want, and what you don't. I think our studio does an amazing job of being somewhat conservative (by general standards, not necessarily mine) in choreography, costumes, and song choices. And I tell them that!

Just a thought...

You might want to re-check out the studio with the "mean" teacher.

I've never met a classical ballet teacher who wasn't a complete, utter task master.

And I've never seen funky outfits with one, either.

a

ps: what does religion have to do with ballet?

We've found this to be quite the opposite. Our studio actually won a judges' award recently, and the judge said that the award was, in part, because she was thrilled to see age-appropriate costume, moves, and song (about friendship).

Yes, I think the studio owner was probably avoiding the real issues: that the majority of parents want those costumes and moves. This is a business, and they do what the *customers* want to stay profitable.

I agree that I would go check out the studio with the rude lady. Every great dance studio I've ever known has had a brusk leader. :001_smile:

Thanks everyone. You all really gave me a lot to mull over. I spoke to a fellow homeschooler whose four daughters attend the studio as well who has similar views on modesty as our family and she really gave me some great information and advice. I did message the studio owner as well, and I am waiting to hear back from her.