Menu

My athlete is failing gym.

Freshman in high school. Made league championships in the 100 meter free and 200 medley swimming the butterfly leg. She loves to do anything remotely connected with movement and couldn't wait for second semester to start so she could have "Wellness" which is health/gym.

Forgot her sneakers for gym class ONE DAY. It was not basketball or volleyball or anything that involved running. It was line dancing. LINE DANCING. She was not allowed to line dance in her Ugg boots, which incidentally do have rubber soles.

So for that transgression and her inability to dance for 20 minutes to the Oak Ridge Boys singing "Elvira," (what decade is this again?) she has a D in "Wellness." Yes, a D.

I realize she should have remembered her sneakers. I realize that it's class policy and the teacher is only following through on the consequences outlined at the beginning of the semester.

But a D? In LINE DANCING?!

MOLLY! I KEEL YOU!

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

astrid

Well, gosh, they're teaching it all wrong anyway!!! You can't line dance in sneakers either, you need boots. She was more applicable to the needs of the dance than the gym teacher. Cowboy boots would have been best, but UGGS will do in a pinch. Morons. :glare:

And this goes on her GPA? :001_huh:

One bad day drops her grade to a 'D'????....noooooo, I think there must be more to the story than that. Please, tell me there is more to the story....if one bad day can drop a grade so much, how does any kid keep up? Good grief. It's P.E. for crying out loud....:tongue_smilie:

I will say, an art teacher gave my brother a B in fourth grade. Art being a sort of subjective subject, my mom had several conferences over it. Turns out that B was the only non-A he got in his entire school career (not counting college). Changed his grade point average just enough that he was not the valedictorian of his large class, but had to be content being a co-valedictorian.

Well, gosh, they're teaching it all wrong anyway!!! You can't line dance in sneakers either, you need boots. She was more applicable to the needs of the dance than the gym teacher. Cowboy boots would have been best, but UGGS will do in a pinch. Morons. :glare:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Oh yes! It counts toward her GPA just as if she'd failed geometry.

LINE DANCING. ***LINE****DANCING****!!!!!

Seriously, the absurdity of this is just blowing my mind.

IT'S NOT THE PERIODIC TABLE!!!! IT'S NOT A WORLD CIVILIZATIONS MIDTERM!!! IT'S NOT EVEN BASKETBALL!!! IT'S LINE DANCING!!!!

I'd be on this like a monkey on a cupcake if I thought I could get anywhere with it but I doubt that I can. The fact remains that Molly forgot her sneakers. I will personally tie them around her neck every morning from now on.

Do not think I won't. Because I will. Oh yes, I will.

AND NOW ELVIRA IS STUCK IN MY HEAD TOO!!! OOM PAH *THIS,* "WELLNESS" TEACHER!!!!

astrid :rant: (yeah. it's mostly still "on.)

when I was in high school for each day you didn't dress (including shoes), your grade dropped one letter. One day would make the grade a B, two days a C, etc.

I would ask the teacher for the grading the department should have handed out at the beginning of the year and ask for verification of the dates your dd did not dress. If there is no written policy, I would ask for a meeting with the administrator in charge of the department.

Side note--when we forgot anything we needed we tried to find a friend who had gym a different period who was a similar size. I borrowed shoes from a boy once, they were a size too small, but I stuffed my feet in.

According to the email I received from the teacher inquiring the same, it is. ONE DAY she forgot her sneakers, which meant:

she was A) unprepared for class and B) did not participate in class (of course she didnt participate! You told her she couldn't!)

I inquired further about whether Molly displayed a negative attitude, or was disrespectful, or anything else, (highly out of character for her, but I wanted to know if there was more to the story) nope. She sheepishly told the teacher she forgot her shoes (came clean about it, in other words) and then sat on the bleachers quietly the whole time.

And just like that, The Curse of The Oak Ridge Boys was visited upon Molly.

ARGH. I've always HATED that song.

astrid

Have already spoken with the teacher; see above.

There apparently have been problems with kids not coming prepared so it's a ONE STRIKE policy. Which makes SO much sense! But it's communicated to the kids on the first day, so Molly and I don't have a leg to stand on. Honestly, if it had been me, I would have done everything in my power to borrow sneakers from ANYONE. But not having been in school since first grade, I don't think that even occured to Molly. She knew she was wrong and took the consequences. ARGH!

astrid

That's harsh, but consider the alternative, that they grade people on actual athletic ability. That is how it was in Germany for my husband. He has NO athletic ability. There was no grade for effort or showing up. It was quite harsh.

Not saying that one stupid day of forgetting isn't harsh.

In my days of PE many years ago, I was graded on athletic ability. That's how they did PE then. I still got a D for gymnastics even though I made effort. I could not do a cartwheel and I had to have a routine on every apparatus. I fell off the beam onto the mat and those were the days when no one thought of liability issues and got a D.

I'm sorry about your daughter. It's still too harsh. Do students get D's today for forgetting to turn in their homework? Do they get D's for skipping class? I guess the school culture is different now.

I'd probably argue the one strike policy- perhaps not for this instance, but to get it changed in the future. I'm all for kids being prepared and doing their best- but would it be reasonable to apply the same standard to other classes? If you forget your math book or homework you automatically get a D?

Also, if a kid forgets one day, why bother to try hard for the rest of the term?

Just seems silly, actually. There are plenty of consequences that make more sense- a zero for the day's grade, detention, or something similar. But a D for the term? Nah.

In my days of PE many years ago, I was graded on athletic ability. That's how they did PE then. I still got a D for gymnastics even though I made effort. I could not do a cartwheel and I had to have a routine on every apparatus. I fell off the beam onto the mat and those were the days when no one thought of liability issues and got a D.

HOLY COW!! That IS harsh! EEK! :eek: How awful it must have been for you..... do you have terrible flashbacks when you see gymnastics on TV? I sure would! How awful!

astrid

I'm sorry about your daughter. It's still too harsh. Do students get D's today for forgetting to turn in their homework? Do they get D's for skipping class? I guess the school culture is different now.

They graded for ability in the midwest in the late 70's/early 80's! I climbed a rope, vaulted over a pommel horse, cartwheeled, trampoline'd, and relay-raced all entirely against my will.

Astrid, I'd challenge this.

The more I sit here and stew about it, the more inclined I am to not let it drop with just the converstation with the teacher. Completely ridiculous. Molly can make league championships in the freaking butterfly but forgot her shoes and didn't do a stupid LINE DANCE so she has a D in gym because coming prepared for class is 2/3 of the grade.

It's so completely absurd, isn't it? Of course, Molly is MORTIFIED and will BEG ME not to get involved, I know. She's been so good about being independent and handling her own school stuff, misunderstandings about assignments with her crazy science teacher, etc. But I might just have to tackle this on principle. :glare: ARGH!

atrid

The more I sit here and stew about it, the more inclined I am to not let it drop with just the converstation with the teacher. Completely ridiculous. Molly can make league championships in the freaking butterfly but forgot her shoes and didn't do a stupid LINE DANCE so she has a D in gym because coming prepared for class is 2/3 of the grade.

It's so completely absurd, isn't it? Of course, Molly is MORTIFIED and will BEG ME not to get involved, I know. She's been so good about being independent and handling her own school stuff, misunderstandings about assignments with her crazy science teacher, etc. But I might just have to tackle this on principle. :glare: ARGH!

atrid

As a parent I want you to go down and kick behinds and take names, because this is just nonsensical injustice. OTOH, I'm sympathetic to Molly's plight, too, if she doesn't want to be the kid of That Mom who makes a stink all the time!

We're with ya, whatever you decide!

Let us know how it goes.

I would argue that line dancing should not be taught in a Wellness class. The only place I've ever seen/done line dancing was a bar. That is not an atmosphere of wellness, therefore it should not be taught. Thin, but maybe you could stretch it.

Ask if she can get extra credit for dog showing, that is a wellness activity. Dog care takes time, physical movement and exercise. Plus pets contribute to the overall wellness of a person's psyche. How could that not get her extra points, she went to Westminster for heaven's sake. I'll bet the gym teacher has never done that. :glare:

:iagree:

Without question. There would be a meeting with a teacher, which would be following up with a meeting with the principal (if necessary).

This is absurd!

They are messing with your daughter's future here. Summon your "inner Momma Bear" even if your daughter is temporarily mortified. She will thank you later.

Bill

Is there a way to make up the class? In our HS (back in the early 90s) we were allowed to make up classes if we had to miss due to not being prepared or unable to participate (if it was swim and the time of the month)

I'd definitely protest a D. NO WAY I'd be allowing that on my DC's transcript for forgetting sneakers one time and missing LINE DANCING. NO WAY. That's a load of cowpie. SERIOUSLY. I get that gym/wellness is important, but come on... line dancing?

I'd probably argue the one strike policy- perhaps not for this instance, but to get it changed in the future. I'm all for kids being prepared and doing their best- but would it be reasonable to apply the same standard to other classes? If you forget your math book or homework you automatically get a D?
I suspect your best chance is with this. Not "would it be reasonable" but do they apply the same standards currently?

I wish you luck.

I can commiserate with your dd. I went to States in the 200 and 500 Free and my gym teacher FAILED my freestyle (after giving B's to kids who could barely make it to the other side of the pool.) IMO, gym has always been an unreasonable class. :tongue_smilie:

There apparently have been problems with kids not coming prepared so it's a ONE STRIKE policy. Which makes SO much sense! But it's communicated to the kids on the first day, so Molly and I don't have a leg to stand on. Honestly, if it had been me, I would have done everything in my power to borrow sneakers from ANYONE. But not having been in school since first grade, I don't think that even occured to Molly. She knew she was wrong and took the consequences. ARGH!

astrid

I would have Molly go ask for extra credit. Of course, the teacher sounds as reasonable as my Geometry teacher, who gave me my only D ever the grading period I was out for over 2 weeks because both of my grandfathers died within a week of each other. She wouldn't give me extra credit, even though I begged and explained the situation. I'm still bitter.

Some places still do. I have had dance atudents complain about the mile run. They have to do it in a certaib time get an A, another time for a B and so on. Same thing for shuttle runs, pull UPS, push UPS, etc. I think it is ridiculous. Grading on improvement, yes; arbitrary standards, no.

Life goes like this. It may be a bitter lesson, but learning how to play the hand you are dealt may be a better lesson than learning that Mom will fix all your problems. Please read on before judging that statement.

In my husband's freshman year of college, his brother was killed in a car crash (was hit by a sand truck driver who was asleep at the wheel). Prior to leaving for the funeral, he notified his advisor, the dean of students, and each of his professors.

Upon his return, exactly two professors refused to allow him credit for the time he took off for grieving: a gym teacher and a physics professor (at that time his only major, and his scholarship was GPA dependent). The physics professor refused to allow him extra study days to prepare for an exam being given the day of my husband's return to school. He had taken a whopping 1 week off to travel home, grieve, and bury his brother.

My husband graduated with a double major in physics and math, with honors (wrote a thesis) in math. Upon graduation, the only two classes standing between him and a perfect 4.0 (no such thing as going above 4.0 at that time in that place) were those two classes. Non the long run, it did not matter and had no impact upon his life. By controlling the outcome of his academic career, those two classes and their unfairness did not matter.

He won not one, but two full-ride scholarships to any graduate school of his choice plus living stipend and research stipend (ie no teaching obligation)... He actually gave one back so someone else could go to school. He had his pick of graduate schools. On the back of excellent test scores and an otherwise impeccable record, the grades in those classes made the instructors look bad, not him.

Had he had his mother storm the castle and fix the world for him, he would have lost a valuable opportunity to learn a huge life lesson. Life is frequently unfair. What happens next is about how you choose to respond. How do you want your daughter to learn to respond?

In the long run, even if it affects GPA, a grade in a half credit gym class will not matter if the rest of her record speaks for itself.

Life goes like this. It may be a bitter lesson, but learning how to play the hand you are dealt may be a better lesson than learning that Mom will fix all your problems. Please read on before judging that statement.

In my husband's freshman year of college, his brother was killed in a car crash (was hit by a sand truck driver who was asleep at the wheel). Prior to leaving for the funeral, he notified his advisor, the dean of students, and each of his professors.

Upon his return, exactly two professors refused to allow him credit for the time he took off for grieving: a gym teacher and a physics professor (at that time his only major, and his scholarship was GPA dependent). The physics professor refused to allow him extra study days to prepare for an exam being given the day of my husband's return to school. He had taken a whopping 1 week off to travel home, grieve, and bury his brother.

My husband graduated with a double major in physics and math, with honors (wrote a thesis) in math. Upon graduation, the only two classes standing between him and a perfect 4.0 (no such thing as going above 4.0 at that time in that place) were those two classes. Non the long run, it did not matter and had no impact upon his life. By controlling the outcome of his academic career, those two classes and their unfairness did not matter.

He won not one, but two full-ride scholarships to any graduate school of his choice plus living stipend and research stipend (ie no teaching obligation)... He actually gave one back so someone else could go to school. He had his pick of graduate schools. On the back of excellent test scores and an otherwise impeccable record, the grades in those classes made the instructors look bad, not him.

Had he had his mother storm the castle and fix the world for him, he would have lost a valuable opportunity to learn a huge life lesson. Life is frequently unfair. What happens next is about how you choose to respond. How do you want your daughter to learn to respond?

In the long run, even if it affects GPA, a grade in a half credit gym class will not matter if the rest of her record speaks for itself.

atrid

I teach high school. Challenge this. It is a completely absurd rule. It is especially absurd that she wasn't allowed to wear her Uggs and still participate. One of my homeroom students didn't bring a change for gym this week, but as they were doing dancing she was still able to participate. Win-win situation.

Guest submarines

When life is unfair (and it often is) another lesson to learn is that one can (and sometimes should) fight the injustice.

Those who know me know that I am *NOT* the sort of mother who swoops in and fixes everything. Consequences are very real in our house, and Molly knows this. Which is why, actually, she didn't even try to find and borrow sneakers from someone else. In her life, you screw up, you suffer the consequences. She was prepared to do this, and as you can read in my post further up, she accepted it and sat on the bleachers reflecting on her sin, so to speak.

It's also why I did nothing more today than ask the teacher to explain the drop in grade, and thank her for her explanation. I haven't yet decided whether I will pursue this further. And rest assured, if I do pursue this further, it will not be me, the "mother." It will be dh and myself, the "parents." It's how we roll. ;-)

In fact, there are few things I loathe more in this world than mothers who constantly jump to their childrens' defense. However, I do not think it is fair to forget shoes one day and go from an A to a D. With all due respect, your husband missed more than one class period, correct? That's a bit of a different situation, I feel. And I say that as one whose only sibling, a brother, was killed in a car accident the summer between senior year and going off to college. I do sympathize. Really, I do.

Here's why I disagree. Your dh was a freshman in college. An adult situation of his own choosing. Astrid's dd is a freshman in high school. A child in a situation of compulsory attendance. Yes, life is unfair. But to roll over and give in to an extremely unfair situation could very well send the message that giving up is the desired response. I think Astrid should step in and do her level best to argue that the rule is so absurdly unfair, it is of benefit to noone. Then, if the grade is made to stand, at least her dd will know that her mother fought for her.

I would have Molly go ask for extra credit. Of course, the teacher sounds as reasonable as my Geometry teacher, who gave me my only D ever the grading period I was out for over 2 weeks because both of my grandfathers died within a week of each other. She wouldn't give me extra credit, even though I begged and explained the situation. I'm still bitter.

bold mine

:iagree:

If this is a semester grade, it will mess with her GPA. You bet I'd be challenging it. Not that you didn't know, but that it is STUPID.

I might be so incensed I'd go to the superintendent with a complaint.

Or the news.

(Nah, I'd be chicken to do that--but you don't strike me as chicken...:D)

Here's why I disagree. Your dh was a freshman in college. An adult situation of his own choosing. Astrid's dd is a freshman in high school. A child in a situation of compulsory attendance. Yes, life is unfair. But to roll over and give in to an extremely unfair situation could very well send the message that giving up is the desired response. I think Astrid should step in and do her level best to argue that the rule is so absurdly unfair, it is of benefit to noone. Then, if the grade is made to stand, at least her dd will know that her mother fought for her.

:iagree: And I'm so thankful my ds's high school isn't like this. PE is a required class there, but it's pass/fail and doesn't factor into the GPA. Each day you come to class prepared and participate you get a 100. Don't dress out and you get a zero that day. Dress out and don't participate, somewhere in between. (At ds's school anything below a 70 is a failing grade.)

I think my son's school policy is reasonable; Astrid's dd's school policy is unreasonable and I think it would be worthwhile to pursue getting it changed.

The rub to me is that Molly is probably an A student, maybe? I've heard she's pretty smart. ;) This one knick on her record could affect real things, like valedictorian, college scholarships. It could have a real financial impact. Does that sound silly? Maybe. So it going from an A to a D for one mistake.

I never cracked open a book my senior year (graduated at semester, hated school, blah, blah, blah.) The lowest grade I ever received was a C- in one class. I absolutely deserved that low grade. NO way should a student lose so much ground for one incident.

This is the kind of thing my dd would do. She asked for permission to miss one Spanish class at the University because she was visiting other Universities and was told it was fine. It did not occur to her to get notes for the class she missed before the next class. They had an unscheduled quiz on the material she missed. :( They just don't know how to, borrow shoes, or go to the nurses office feeling "terrible" to get out of class, get notes from other kids etc. I guess they do miss a few things home schooling.

This is the kind of thing my dd would do. She asked for permission to miss one Spanish class at the University because she was visiting other Universities and was told it was fine. It did not occur to her to get notes for the class she missed before the next class. They had an unscheduled quiz on the material she missed. :( They just don't know how to, borrow shoes, or go to the nurses office feeling "terrible" to get out of class, get notes from other kids etc. I guess they do miss a few things home schooling.

Yes, this exactly. She functions in the logical, rational world. She's finding out that public school often does not. ;)

astrid

Our school has an abundant number of fails due to students not dressing out. Parents have to sign the class syllabus stating that they have reviewed the policy with their child. But, we have late start on Fridays and students are given an opportunity to make grades up by doing a PE activity in the morning before classes.

Our district has a strict policy about shoes and the gym floor surface. Tennis shoes/soft jazz dance shoes only for the safety of the student. If the floor is to be used for another activity, such as a rally, it is covered in paper to protect the surface.

Also, PE does not count for academic gpa for our school. Valedictorian is based solely upon academic gpa, not extracurricular courses.

It's hard to say that a lesson has to be learned by dd here, because the penalty is so severe. Grades matter to her. I'd strongly suggest scheduling a meeting with the teacher and let dd talk to her. If the teacher is interested in student achievement rather than rigid rules, it should be something that can be resolved.

So when something is unjust, you just bend over and take it?

So when something is unjust, you just bend over and take it?

Ah, no. You ask for clarification. You request reconsideration.

However in the long run, if things don't go your way, keep some perspective. A low grade in gym will not lose a lot of scholarships; my husband took a bad grade in gym AND a 4-credit class in his major, and still won two of the most prestigious scholarships in the country, despite not being a valedictorian.

Such experiences at the high school level can even be turned to your advantage-- they can be the subject of a killer application essay that kills two birds with one stone (explains the abnormal low grades that are clear outliers, and the resulting learning experience; get creative there-- interactions itch the system, autonomy by not allowing parents to intervene, learning about self while dealing with the system...). I assure you, the next ten kids who graduated in line behind DH from high school all went to good colleges (many of them Ivies) on full scholarship despite not being valedictorian; a bad grade in gym is unlikely to cost scholarship money in reality if the record is otherwise strong. Frankly, by three weeks after graduation, nobody cares who was the V (except maybe #2 if they nurse a grudge, and the child's mother, in the case of my DH :lol:). I have a nephew who is not in the top 5 and he is getting good scholarship money.

Maybe a parent meeting *is* in order. Parent school communication in the K12 years is not a bad thing. I would urge the family to include the student in the meeting to avoid any further misunderstandings or lack of clarity about precisely what took place. Parents correctly trust their children, but sometimes teens don't relay all of the pertinent facts, or have a different opinion regarding which facts are pertinent. There is something of a concern that an insecure teacher may find it difficult to back down in front of the student if they are truly wrong, but it s the best chance to get everyone on the same page. But the family should be open to two ideas: there may be more facts that come out, and if things don't go in a reasonable manner, yes, that does stink, it is unfair, but do keep perspective about the likely consequences. Scholarships are real money and the economy is tighter these days, but I understand your daughter is not a borderline student. If she uses this challenge as a reason to double down on her studies, a gym grade is unlikely to have much if any impact on her scholarships, college acceptances, or her life in general.

Best of luck to you. It does sound extremely frustrating.

astrid

What incentive does a ONE STRIKE policy give for students to improve their behavior? So they get a D their first day and then what? Quit coming to class, since they've flunked already? Um, okay. That's a fabulous idea. /sarcasm