Menu

To what age children do you still read aloud? POLL

I would read/do read to a kid this age daily.  

1. 1. I would read/do read to a kid this age daily.

We stopped reading to our 7 year old when an 8 year old friend stayed with us for awhile and convinced my son that it was babyish :glare:. We started up again recently because I noticed he would always listen in on us reading to his brother even though the book level for his brother is way lower. It has been great to read aloud again and I have every intention of continuing it for a good long time to come. :001_smile:

Ugh. I voted before reading to vote for EVERY age! I voted only for 16 because I still read aloud to all my kids. Granted the majority the older ones get is school-related (currently The Aeneid, Fitzgerald translation -- loving it!), but I'm going to start Mark Twain's The Prince & the Pauper tomorrow just for fun to everyone. We probably won't get to it every day. My dh is reading Harry Potter aloud in the evenings...just started Book 5.

The younger ones get picture books when they ask or when I feel we all need to sit quietly together. :D

I put 16, but I really meant 43. :tongue_smilie: I read aloud to my husband nearly every day. He reads aloud very often, too, to whoever is in the room when he wants to share something.

We're a read-aloud family. I don't even bother scheduling time for this, even for my littlest children, because it's something we do very naturally. If we want to talk about something we've read, we read it aloud and then discuss.

They start reading aloud to us in the same way, sharing information to start a conversation, by age 8-10.

I also have a habit of interrupting a dawdler by picking up his book and reading a section aloud, just to help him get his head back in the game. It makes such a huge difference, even for teens.

I still read daily to my eldest, who reads better and faster than I do, and will continue to do so until she (and eventually her sister) asks me to stop.

As long as they'll let me and even after that if they are trapped in a car with me. ;) My living-at-home children are 16, 14, and 11. I read to my 11 year old most often. She is a voracious reader herself, but still very much enjoys sharing a read-aloud.

I would read aloud to anyone who wants me to. Even if my kid was 18 years old and still liked it, I'd do it. I love reading aloud and there's something special about listening to a book like that.

:iagree:

I worry that Little Librarian is going to be such a fast reader that we'll read the first part of the book together and then she'll sneak it away and finish it. She's a lot like me in that regard. I love cuddling up together and reading though.

I voted up to 14, because that is what I did, however, I would happily read to someone older and have done so. When our little bundle of energy was born, my dd found it much easier/faster to read to herself in the safety and quiet of her room. :D But the year we had a 16 yo foreign exchange student, I read aloud to her to help her through Literature. I loved it! When we first married, I also read aloud to my dh every day.

I missed a few ages because I didn't notice the "would read" part. We have history, religion, science, math (Life of Fred) and literature read-alouds now. Some of these subjects will evolve into individual study, but some will stay as read-alouds until age 15 or 16. I love the interaction with my dc and the discussions that happen are amazing - not to mention that I'M learning as much or more than my kids!

I voted through 12, only because I *hate* reading out loud! I do it because I love it in theory, but I hate the practice.

:iagree: But my kids love being read to, so I've gotten used to it. I read aloud to everyone (my oldest is 13) and can't see myself stopping anytime soon.

I'll read to them until they go to college if they want.

Happy Camper unfailingly Skypes me every week for a readaloud. She's done this since her very first week of college... and is now in her fourth year. :D

I finished reading The Golden Goblet just today and every one of my dc (who can understand what is going on, that is) gathered round. I love reading time. I love looking up and seeing all of my dc's faces, watching their reaction to the story...I love it.

ETA: My mom read aloud to us growing up. By the time I was in 6th grade I'd heard Cujo, Pet Cemetery (sp?) and several other Stephen King novels. Nice going, Mom. Needless to say I do not let her choose books/movies to read to my dc!

Edited by LuvnMySvn

I finished reading The Golden Goblet just today and every one of my dc (who can understand what is going on, that is) gathered round. I love reading time. I love looking up and seeing all of my dc's faces, watching their reaction to the story...I love it.

ETA: My mom read aloud to us growing up. By the time I was in 6th grade I'd heard Cujo, Pet Cemetery (sp?) and several other Stephen King novels. Nice going, Mom. Needless to say I do not let her choose books/movies to read to my dc!

:smilielol5:

My mom was visiting this weekend and read-a-loud poetry to the girls. I dislike poetry. i listened, though. I'm 37.

My friend also was visitng today and she read to all 5 girls about the history of president's day. I listened to that, too.

I do read-a-loud, too. I enjoy audio books more just becuse I get tired of reading out load and with audio books we can listen for hours.

Robin in NJ