Menu

Do you NOT have a whiteboard?

Mandylubug

We homeschool all over the house. I have all of our supplies on a bookshelf or in our transformed coat closet/now homeschool supply closet. When "school" is over we clean up and put it away. However, I have found several instances that I think "man, if I just had a whiteboard to write this on so I wouldn't be repeating myself." But, me and my husband just don't 1) want our house cluttered (we are a family of six in a 3b 2bath 1500sq ft house its TIGHT) 2) we don't want to mimic school 3) we want to be able to enjoy the look of our dining room and not have our kids progress and work for all to see all the time (me have some very annoying/nosey family members that try to "evaluate" our kids progress for the sake of proving our case to homeschool as a failure)....

alas, I am considering putting up a whiteboard.. and a calander :O I just realized how much they don't know the date, etc. if I ask them to write it on top of their paper, etc...

So, what do you all do? Do you survive a tight space without a whiteboard? Or do you give in to the look of school exploding all over your home and get over the clutter?

I don't use a whiteboard. I bought one at the beginning of the school year and still haven't used it. That being said, it's fairly small (roughly 24" X 48") and it slides behind a door or under a bed when not in use (which for us, would be 100% of the time, LOL.)

For your calendar, have you considered something like this? Like my whiteboard, it could easily be stored when not in use:

calendar+board.jpg

(From here: http://brittmale.blogspot.com/ )

I have one large whiteboard and about three smaller ones. Even the larger one can be held across two laps. So, they don't go on the wall, they go on our laps, and then I put them vertically next to the sofa or other furniture when we're done. So they don't take up wall space, and we can use them anywhere in the house.

I also have a very large chalkboard that I have screws on the wall for, over a door (not enough wall space!) I hang it up when I need it, and take it down when we're done (or no going to the basement!).

We move a lot...we have moved 8 times in the last 10 years.

I have had several small white boards and one larger but portable one.

The current sizes I have, and they work really well, are:

Big portable one:

18" X 24" ($15 from Wal-Mart)

One for each child:

current size, 14" x 14" (less than $10 from Wal-Mart.) I used to have a slightly smaller rectangular size for each child, they like the 14 x 14 size better, more surface area. They like to draw on it outside of school time, too.

The bigger one stores well behind a door or beside or behind a bookcase, the smaller ones I currently store under a chair in the schoolroom.

I get a lot of use out of them. I also use my 18" by 24" one for teaching group phonics lessons for remedial students.

I have an exposed fridge side. I attached big magnets to the back of a smallish (18x24) white board and stuck it on. it's right across from the dining room table where most seat work gets done. I really need something bigger but I haven't found a successful way of attaching the larger whiteboard I own to the side of the fridge. I did however discover that the side is not perfectly flat which caused most of the problem in trying to attach a large flat thing to the side of it .. that and the weight of it+weight of magnets intended to hold it UP off the floor.

eta (since I "read" too fast and skipped vital info) that the side of our fridge is usually a mess of stuff attached to it anyway so the whiteboard actually tidies it up. It's also not really in anyone's line of sight besides the two that happen to sit on the far side of the dining room table. As for snooping relatives - I never thought of that. No one has ever commented. It's covered in abbreviated Scripture references and Latin so perhaps it's just because they can't decipher it.

Edited by SCGS

I'm fine with our dining room looking like a school room. :) While we do read alouds on our family room couch, the majority of school takes place in the dining room. The computer desk, 4 bookshelves full of books, art supplies, and school supplies, posters, maps, and a large chalkboard on the walls fill our dining room along with our table and chairs. It is part of our lifestyle and I want our home to fit our lives. It would be way too inconvenient for me to try to have it any other way. We are a family of 5 living in a house about 1200 sq ft.

I have a big white board, but can't usually get to it because there's other stuff in the way. What gets used more often are the lap sized white boards that the kids and I have- those are all over the house. You can also get a slightly larger one that you could move around easily. We have a larger one that's magnetic and one of my kids uses that for his magnet craft projects.

Well we are a family of 6 living in a 2bd 1bath 1,000 sq house and I have two white boards.:lol: Yes my dining room is our school area and it looks like that all of the time.;)

This is us as well, except a family of 8 in a 3bd 1bath 1,200 sq ft. Our kitchen (which is very small) looks like a school area.

I didn't have a whiteboard for the longest time (when living in our 2bd 1bath 900sq ft house) I use to tape then tacked the legal or is it letter (the longer one :tongue_smilie:) on the wall and use that. When I started tacking the paper I would put a few more under and just pull the top paper off.

When living in a small house it's hard for it not to look like a school-house.

i have 2 potable white boards -- the size of lap trays or a little bigger.

we use them, then they get put up -- nothing big and on a wall.

I love it, i don't care if i mimic school -- we do math on them, and erase it, he does "spelling " on it ( i call out CVC words for him). We use it constantly -- saves trees. i put a number line on it, etc. But they get put up....

We didn't use a whiteboard until I started doing AAS with my kids. I'll admit--I do like a white board for spelling.

We purchased white showerboard from a hardware store to mount on our stair railings so that babies wouldn't fall through. :001_smile: When we didn't need the stair protection anymore, the kids used the showerboard as dry-erase whiteboards. Since they are hardly even 1/4" thick and can be cut into any size, they are easily stored under and behind things--beds, closets, the piano.

Sadly, I don't think that writing on a whiteboard necessarily promotes good handwriting for my youngest writers.

Thank you ladies! Nice to be put into perspective with larger families in smaller spaces :) What is ironic is I have probably a 20ft wall that is just empty... its not that I don't want anything on there. Its the fact that I don't want the room to feel smaller than it is and I didn't want to stare at a whiteboard all of the time.

As for the snooping family members; they are certified teachers that don't agree with me stepping away from state standards. That being said, I shouldn't worry about their snooping because it isn't their opinion that matters anyway and I bet the kids would like some of their projects displayed.

As for the snooping family members; they are certified teachers that don't agree with me stepping away from state standards. That being said, I shouldn't worry about their snooping because it isn't their opinion that matters anyway and I bet the kids would like some of their projects displayed.

I have several large whiteboards (from Lowe's) that I use every day. I frequently use one or two of them for Latin "cheat sheets" or math vocab or whatever, and this info stays on the boards for a week or so at a time. They are put to the side of the wall in a hallway when we're through.

If a family member is a bit *nosy*, just write a few sentences from a Latin exercise, a difficult word problem or a beautiful, classic poem and leave it up for their perusal. That should handle it!

Edited by Poke Salad Annie

We have a half dozen whiteboards. They are not on the walls. They get pulled out for use and put away just like everything else. I even have a couple that I have written some reference stuff on, and they are just fine. I put them away with the others and pull them out as needed and the words don't even get smeared.

Thank you ladies! Nice to be put into perspective with larger families in smaller spaces :) What is ironic is I have probably a 20ft wall that is just empty... its not that I don't want anything on there. Its the fact that I don't want the room to feel smaller than it is and I didn't want to stare at a whiteboard all of the time.

Put a white board on that wall, then stick a curtain up there to cover it when not in use.

I have a white board that I tuck behind a dresser. I use an easel to hold it during school time. I especially use it for math and have found that we have better discussions that way.

We have several white boards. I would say that they have been one of the best investments in our homeschool. I use them daily. I write assignments on them, I write copy work on them, and the kids use them for math and spelling. They think it is more fun to write on the white board than on paper.

None of them are on the wall, however when we move, I do want the larger one on the wall.

We have two of lapboard size whiteboards that are SO great because they are doublesided -- plain white on one side, and several choices of pre-printed on the other side! http://rainbowresource.com/searchspring.php?q=lapboard

They are a little less wide than 2 8-1/2"x11" pieces of paper side-by-side, and are stored/hidden from view between the end of the couch and the wall, or between the end of the bookcase and wall.

Those lapboard/white boards along with a pack of colored dry-erase markers have TRULY been the BEST homeschooling purchase EVER!

No, I don't have a whiteboard but I do have a regular old chalkboard my DH made for me...

Yes, I have a blackboard. Use it everyday. It's 4'x 3' and on its own stand. Mimic school? Heck, I'm mimicking my life. I presented for a living for many years before I stayed home to homeschool. A blackboard or whiteboard is much better than boring my children to death by PowerPoint. :D Which was my other alternative. ;)

Our magnetic white board for AAS is tucked between the washer and the dryer between lessons. We also have a small one that the kids use for lessons from time to time. This one is propped up on a shelf. We are at a severe lack of space in my house as well. We do have a calendar that hangs in the kitchen, but we also have one for each of the kids that they can write on, cross days off, and so on and so forth. They keep their calendars in the cupboard with the school supplies.

Hi-

We have a whiteboard in its own cabinet. You know the kind that are found in offices (realty, law, etc.). They usually go for about $200 - depending on size - from office stores, but I kept an eye out on Craigslist and got it for $50. It doesn't look like a yucky White board in my dining room. It also has room for chart paper on both sides... could use it for calendar activities.:001_smile:

We're packed in tight and there's no way to NOT have school all over the house. You can't miss that we're homeschoolers. We have an easel with one side as a whiteboard and I use it almost every day. You could also just get a smaller whiteboard to hold up when you need it - that got a lot of use for math with Rebecca.

We have two of lapboard size whiteboards that are SO great because they are doublesided -- plain white on one side, and several choices of pre-printed on the other side! http://rainbowresource.com/searchspring.php?q=lapboard

They are a little less wide than 2 8-1/2"x11" pieces of paper side-by-side, and are stored/hidden from view between the end of the couch and the wall, or between the end of the bookcase and wall.

Those lapboard/white boards along with a pack of colored dry-erase markers have TRULY been the BEST homeschooling purchase EVER!

we have them too

Also -- use the white board CRAYONS -- they do not smear like the markers do. (they clean off just as easy). We now use the crayons for everything -- the write and erase books my 4 yo LOVES, the white board for momma and kids. we write on this I laminate too . I love them, love them, loooove them. Marker smuges or wipes off at the slightest touch -- crayon stay on till you take it off.

I have a white board that I tuck behind a dresser. I use an easel to hold it during school time. I especially use it for math and have found that we have better discussions that way.

:iagree: We have a medium sized white board from Costco. I put it on a wooden art easel when we're using it. But I'm not sure if the easel would fit any better with your decor.