Menu

Would you have gone to the ER?

Around 4pm today, we were driving to martial arts and my 7yo said he had a headache and asked not to go. He said the headache had started during homeschool PE, at around 2:30 that afternoon. He had not fallen, been hit, or crashed into anyone. We went home and he seemed fine. He was relaxing, but said he felt better. He ate just fine, and we all watched a movie. Towards the end of the movie he said his head still hurt and I said I'd go lay down with him, but he said it was fine.

The movie ended and he got up to go to the restroom. He said his head was really hurting. We walked into the bright light of the bathroom and he started screaming in pain, holding his head on either side. Then he said he felt like he was going to throw up, but didn't. He continued screaming for a few minutes, and we gave him some ibuprofen. He kept saying he felt like he was going to throw up, but never did. He laid down in his bed with dh and an ice pack while I called the pediatric advice line.

After about 10 minutes he said he was feeling better, and by the time I finished with the nurse, he was asleep. However, the nurse advised I take him to the ER. She said that pain intense enough to cause nausea was serious in a child.

I talked with dh about this. He is sleeping soundly. There is a driving rain storm outside. He has no other symptoms. We're inclined to let him sleep, and bring him into bed with us. If we wakes up and is in pain, we will go to the ER. And I'll probably go to the clinic tomorrow morning no matter what.

Would you wake him up and take him to the ER?

I would consider it. But I bet it was a migraine. Ice and other colds things help a lot with them. The nausea and light sensitivity are exactly what happens during a migraine.

I had migraines as a child. It's not the uncommon.

But I would consider the ER because you never know with a child if it's meningitis or something like that.

I would wake him up and see how he was. If a single motrin took care of it, and he is not lethargic or confused, I'd let him go back to sleep. Also, can he touch his chin to his chest, and is he afebrile. If he's much better, no neck stiffness or ear ache, and no change in mental status I'd stay home. Oh, and no fever, too.

Sounds like a migraine. I get them and dd gets them. However, she had an MRI to rule out something more serious like a tumor. The ER has IV meds that make the migraine go away. My dd takes a daily preventative and she has rescue meds as well as anti-nausea meds for when she gets them.

I would definitely check on him and take him in if he doesn't improve or if he gets worse.

I would consider it. But I bet it was a migraine. Ice and other colds things help a lot with them. The nausea and light sensitivity are exactly what happens during a migraine.

I had migraines as a child. It's not the uncommon.

But I would consider the ER because you never know with a child if it's meningitis or something like that.

:iagree: My first thought was migraine.

no matter what.

Would you wake him up and take him to the ER?

yes - my friend had that happen with her daughter - she had a bleeding AVM )arteral ventricrical malformation. as in, a brain bleed. usually diagnosed after a concussion or during an autopsy. of all the trauma cases that came into the ER that day, she was the ONLY one who went to ICU. she had surgery and radiation and was followed with MRI's for several years. she is now fully recovered.

eta: when she was laying down, she was fine, and was even able to sleep. (to the point the dr in the ER didn't thing it was that serious - then they did the MRI/CAT. not sure which. she went straight to ICU from there.) when she was upright, she'd be in pain and wanting to/throwing up. The only reason my friend took her to the ER, was her ped told her to. She didn't think it was a big deal.

Edited by gardenmom5

Before he fell asleep he said nothing else hurt. No fever, no stiffness or lethargy. I am going to wake him up in about half an hour and see if I can get him to walk to the bathroom. My instinct says it's a migraine, but I'm still pretty freaked. I want to take him to the clinic in the morning, but dh would prefer to see his regular ped on mon am.

Before he fell asleep he said nothing else hurt. No fever, no stiffness or lethargy. I am going to wake him up in about half an hour and see if I can get him to walk to the bathroom. My instinct says it's a migraine, but I'm still pretty freaked. I want to take him to the clinic in the morning, but dh would prefer to see his regular ped on mon am.

I wouldn't wait until monday, unless he shows absolutely NO sign of anything tomorrow.

I'd call the pediatric line again.

:grouphug:

I would think that the pediatric line pretty much HAS to tell you to bring him in, regardless of what they may be thinking. Liability issues wouldn't have it any other way. So - I wouldn't base my decision on that.

Personally, I would lie in bed next to him to keep a close eye for fever, pain, breathing issues, etc (any other problems) and probably wake him up in a 1/2 hour to hour or so and do a verbal check-over with him, then take him to urgent care in the am.

Guest submarines
I would think that the pediatric line pretty much HAS to tell you to bring him in, regardless of what they may be thinking. Liability issues wouldn't have it any other way. So - I wouldn't base my decision on that.

Personally, I would lie in bed next to him to keep a close eye for fever, pain, breathing issues, etc (any other problems) and probably wake him up in a 1/2 hour to hour or so and do a verbal check-over with him, then take him to urgent care in the am.

Yeah, I meant to add that I'd call the line, and then bring him in (because they always say to). But I hit the submit reply button minutes after I typed my response, and didn't see all the other responses. Now I agree with waking him and and re-evaluating.

I wouldn't let him sleep until morning, though.

I started getting migraines at 9, my 8 yr old gets them often as well. My bet would be that is what he had, and no I would not go to the ER for that unless ibuprophen didn't work. In my family we have to take a fairly high dose of ibuprofen for headaches, for my 8 yr old he takes 400mg of adult ibuprophen, I take 800- 1000 mg depending on severity. We have photosensitivity and nausea/vomitting (he only gets nauseous, I am the one that vomits with migraines).

If one of my other kids had a sudden extreme headache but if they were eating, and not feeling much pain other than the photosensitivity triggering nausea I would not think much of it beyond a heachache. dd12 had her first headaches last week, it lasted 3 days. fever on the first. If the fever persisted I would have gone to the ER to rule out menegitis but the fever broke and the pain was easily managed with only 200 mg ibuprophen.

I would wake him and see how he is feeling, but knowing my history and my kid I would let him sleep it off with the assumption it is migraines.

yes - my friend had that happen with her daughter - she had a bleeding AVM )arteral ventricrical malformation. as in, a brain bleed. usually diagnosed after a concussion or during an autopsy. of all the trauma cases that came into the ER that day, she was the ONLY one who went to ICU. she had surgery and radiation and was followed with MRI's for several years. she is now fully recovered.

eta: when she was laying down, she was fine, and was even able to sleep. (to the point the dr in the ER didn't thing it was that serious - then they did the MRI/CAT. not sure which. she went straight to ICU from there.) when she was upright, she'd be in pain and wanting to/throwing up. The only reason my friend took her to the ER, was her ped told her to. She didn't think it was a big deal.

I'd take him in because I'd much rather go to the ER and determine he's fine than stay at home and later wish I'd gone in. I worry a lot about head/brain things, though.

That sounds exactly like how we discovered that Zee was having migraines around age 6. He still struggles with them, but now I usually am able to give him his migraine med before it gets THAT bad. Bright light is a classic migraine irritant. I get migraines, too.

Of course it could be something else, and I'm no dr. or nurse.

Hope your little one is on the mend soon. Try not to worry overmuch; which I know is easier said than done. :grouphug:

As a family of migraine sufferers, I probably would not take my child in unless at home pain meds were not working. If you are in the southeast, the weather was prime to trigger a migraine. DD and I both had one start up, but we recognize the symptoms and nipped it in the bud.

Any news?

As another family of migraine sufferers, I would not have taken him in before. I would just assume it was a bad migraine, but would constantly check on him throughout the night.

However, if it happened now, I WOULD take him in. The only sign of my husband's impending stroke was a super severe headache which we thought was a migraine.

I'm sure this is unlikely with your child, but I'd take him in anyway to be sure.

I would have taken him to the ER because the nurse advised it . Since this is his first episode of this type and so nothing to judge by as to whether it is dangerous or not, and since she has medical background and I don't, she may have been thinking of possible explanations that wouldn't have occurred to me and perhaps she didn't want to scare me with, I wouldn't have tried to out-guess her. Additionally, if you are told to go to the ER by a medical professional and don't, and your child does turn out to have something that needed ER attention, that will mean a medical negligence call to CPS. I would have gone. Potential head problems are not something to mess with.

I'd take him in because I'd much rather go to the ER and determine he's fine than stay at home and later wish I'd gone in. I worry a lot about head/brain things, though.

:iagree:

Even if it is a migraine, you should always get checked out the first time you have one or anytime they change (intensity, frequency, different symptoms). You need to rule out other more serious possibilities.

I hope he's fine. If it was a migraine, it could last three days. OTC usually doesn't help that much, but they meds that do.

Additionally, if you are told to go to the ER by a medical professional and don't, and your child does turn out to have something that needed ER attention, that will mean a medical negligence call to CPS.

That is a HUGE generalization. A pediatric advice line is exactly that - advice. Just as they do not want to be held liable for what they cannot completely diagnose and therefore give "Go to the ER" advice any time it is not painfully obvious that it is not necessary, the parent is not given ultimatums and is not legally bound to follow this "advice". An extreme case such as "My child is not breathing and I'm not going to follow your advice" may raise cause for investigation but what you said would rarely be true.

I have no opinion on whether or not she should have gone to the ER or not in this situation. For me it would have depended on the emotional reaction of the child, response to medicine and several other factors that I could not determine without knowing the child, but I certainly would never feel compelled to follow advice line direction on fear that CPS would be called if I didn't.

If it was the first time it had happened, yes. I'm not a big one on going to the doctor/hospital, but that much pain would send me.

It sound just like when I used to get migraines, but it's best to make sure.

I never go to the ER. But I saw my sister scream and hold her head and she had a blood clot or something bad. I don't remember..it was 40 years ago.

Because of that, I would have taken him to the hospital.

If ibuprofen helped, I'd wait until Monday to see the pedi if the headache didn't return over the weekend; if the pain reliever didn't help or the headache returned within 4-hours of giving ibuprofen, I would take him in immediately, if the headache returned at some point over the weekend, I'd take him in also.

Thanks for all of your input. I went in around 10pm (he had fallen asleep around 9:15) and stroked his face, and he rolled around and was sleeping happily with no fever or anything. At 11pm, we woke him up, had him walk to the bathroom, asked him a few questions (he said his head felt fine) and then brought him into our bed with us to sleep. (Although at 3am I couldn't take the kicking anymore so we brought him back to his bed.)

He woke up this morning perfectly happy with no headache at all. I am going to take him to the doctor on Monday to have him checked. I would really rather deal with our awesome pediatrician than the weekend clinic, where last time we waited 3 hours to be seen and people were hacking all around us. I feel like our pediatrician will be a lot more comprehensive and I can talk more to her about it.

So, we didn't go to the ER, but I was definitely on the fence. Dh's best friend died suddenly last August of a brain bleed brought on by undiagnosed leukemia, so of course he and I were a little extra freaked out about this sort of thing. But my gut, and my husband's, was that it was just a headache, and that bringing him to the ER in the severe storm last night would be more traumatic than it was worth. I'm very relieved that he is fine today.

Anyhow, that's the update. Thanks again for your words of advice, and I'll let you all know if the doctor has anything of interest to say about it.

If ibuprofen helped, I'd wait until Monday to see the pedi if the headache didn't return over the weekend; if the pain reliever didn't help or the headache returned within 4-hours of giving ibuprofen, I would take him in immediately, if the headache returned at some point over the weekend, I'd take him in also.

Yes, this is what we essentially decided last night. If at any point during the night his headache returned, we would have gone directly to the ER. We still will if it returns at any point this weekend.

Thank goodness he is feeling fine today!

Why is it that the scary stuff always seems to happen late at night or on weekends, when our regular, trusted doctors aren't in the office? :glare:

I think I would keep him kind of quiet and calm until you see the doctor on Monday, though, just as a precaution.

It sounds like a migraine, but I'm also wondering if he could have had a terrible reaction to something he ate. I know it is probably a long shot, but I get terrible, blinding headaches if I eat a lot of MSG without realizing it was in my meal, so that's why I'm mentioning the possibility.

:grouphug:

Yes, this is what we essentially decided last night. If at any point during the night his headache returned, we would have gone directly to the ER. We still will if it returns at any point this weekend.

Thanks for the update. Glad he seems to be doing alright now. Hope he is headache free from now on. Might not be a bad idea to get an appt with your regular dr. If you think about it, please give us one more update later on.

Thanks for all of your input. I went in around 10pm (he had fallen asleep around 9:15) and stroked his face, and he rolled around and was sleeping happily with no fever or anything. At 11pm, we woke him up, had him walk to the bathroom, asked him a few questions (he said his head felt fine) and then brought him into our bed with us to sleep. (Although at 3am I couldn't take the kicking anymore so we brought him back to his bed.)

He woke up this morning perfectly happy with no headache at all. I am going to take him to the doctor on Monday to have him checked. I would really rather deal with our awesome pediatrician than the weekend clinic, where last time we waited 3 hours to be seen and people were hacking all around us. I feel like our pediatrician will be a lot more comprehensive and I can talk more to her about it.

So, we didn't go to the ER, but I was definitely on the fence. Dh's best friend died suddenly last August of a brain bleed brought on by undiagnosed leukemia, so of course he and I were a little extra freaked out about this sort of thing. But my gut, and my husband's, was that it was just a headache, and that bringing him to the ER in the severe storm last night would be more traumatic than it was worth. I'm very relieved that he is fine today.

Anyhow, that's the update. Thanks again for your words of advice, and I'll let you all know if the doctor has anything of interest to say about it.

I think you did right listening to your gut on this one. You need to be aware of the unlikely nasties they want to rule out (meningitis, brain bleed, etc). I read somewhere the #1 reason people bring their kids to the ER is headache and it's almost always benign. I have migraines, had them since I was 4yo, and threw up a lot. The sensitivity to bright light is a clue, plus the fact he feels fine now suggest it was "just a headache" -- those nasties all tend to get worse and more serious. ;)

Good idea to take him in to his Ped on Monday. Might also discuss what to do and what things to check to know what is a "regular" headache and when you really need to take him in.

If ibuprofen helped, .

I have never had ibuprophen help a migraine (while all migraines are headaches, not all headaches are migraines). not me, especially not my son (who required IV's for dehydration and narcotics until we found out the cause and could treat it - he had a pinched spinal nerve).

does ibuprophen actually help migraines? the only OTC thing that ever helped me was excedrin, and my dr's have now told me to stop taking it because of liver damage. at least ice packs on the back of my neck help.

Edited by gardenmom5

I have never had ibuprophen help a migraine (while all migraines are headaches, not all headaches are migraines). not me, especially not my son (who required IV's for dehydration and narcotics until we found out the cause and could treat it - he had a pinched spinal nerve).

does ibuprophen actually help migraines? the only OTC thing that ever helped me was excedrin, and my dr's have now told me to stop taking it because of liver damage. at least ice packs on the back of my neck help.

When dh or I get migraines, we might as well eat m&ms as take ibuprofen. And I am amazed at the number of people that say it works! No, we have to take the expensive Rx meds; zomig or imitrex. Caffeine and ice packs work for some people too. I just ROTLMBO at the thought of doing this.

I know migraines can be severe. I have a friend who has to get a shot when she gets one. She is almost blinded by them.

You might want to start keeping a diary of what he eats/drinks, weather, and what he did before the migraine set in. I'm wondering if the movement from teh movie might have triggered it. Big action movies at the theater trigger them for me. And FTR, our migraine doctor said NOTHING surprised him as far as triggers. Yes, there are common, documented triggers. But then there are the other triggers. Another one for me was wearing contacts. :glare:

It helps me and my son but we take higher than recommended doses (Dr's know this) to work. So I take 1000 mg of ibuprofen, ds8 takes 400mg of adult ibuprophen. At those doses it work, typical adult dose is 200-400mg so for me to take 1000mg is a lot, at ds's age he should still be on the children's but that's a joke for his headaches, so he takes 400 mg adults. It is not 20 minute fast but it works. Advil liquid gels or morin super strength are best I find. Generic ibuprophen is like putting out a fire with spit. Tylenol and other acetaminophen is useless to us. I think it all depends on the person. I have needed IVs etc for migraines before but generally I can nip them quickly with a high dose of advil or motrin.

OP I am glad your ds is feeling better. Since it started during PE class my arm chair Dx says dehydration triggered a migraine/severe headache. Keep him hydrated this weekend and follow through with your plan to see the dr on monday.

When dh or I get migraines, we might as well eat m&ms as take ibuprofen. And I am amazed at the number of people that say it works! No, we have to take the expensive Rx meds; zomig or imitrex. Caffeine and ice packs work for some people too. I just ROTLMBO at the thought of doing this.

I found the imitrex and zomig never helped. I was on imitrex as a preventative for a long time and it didn't prevent them and neither would take it away. It wasn't until I started taking high doses of ibuprophen that I got any relief. My triggers are MSG, nirates/nitrites (but I still eat hot dogs which trigger me on occasion and just keep my motrin handy), hormones (I get them for about 3 days before aunt flo, and some months right before ovulation too), dehydration also triggers them. My CT scan showed normal as far as structural stuff so we know it is hormone and sensitivity triggers. We have not found the triggers for ds yet but the mortin works for him too at a high dose.

yeah back last year kiddo did the same thing (except didn't have the nausea and light sensitivity)--I had migraines as a child and they freak me out in kids-a relative lost a child at about 9yrs old to an aneurysm and sudden headaches freak me out...we took him in and of course since he wasn't a priority case we had to wait and be seen at the non-urgent clinic in the hospital (waited 3hours) and he ended up having an ear infection....but his ears didn't hurt him-his head did......UGH glad your son's feeling better--hope there are no more headaches like that...