Menu

How many times a day do you run your dishwasher?

2-3 times a day, if it's a big baking day I may end up with a 4th load. But there are 7 of us so that's already almost double the size of some of the other families who've posted (at least I tell myself that so I don't feel bad about how many loads I run).

everyone uses the same cup all day long so my cups aren't so bad it's the dishes and pots and pans (I make almost everything from scratch). Breakfast will be 5 bowls (for oatmeal) and another 5 plates (for fruit) and then whatever I've used for breakfast (I don't eat oatmeal), plus the pot the oatmeal cooked in and silverware and a knife. Lunch will be a minimum of one dish/bowl per person but often two as well as 1-2 serving/storage bowls of whatever leftover was used up. And that will be a full load there.

Supper will have 7 plates plus 2-3 pots or 1 pot and a roaster or cooking sheet or both. Then there will be the all the measuring/mixing supplies. And that will be a second full load. And that's assuming it was a simple supper. If I cooked a fancier meal or made extras for the freezer, I will likely have overflow from the second load.

I bake bread 1-2 times a week, plus muffin or breakfast burritos for hubby's breakfast and whatever day I've done those things will necessitate a 3rd load.

But I put everything in my dishwasher. I hate handwashing and I would much rather run extra loads than wash the dishes by hand.

We run ours 2 - 3 times a week, for 4 people. I do use paper plates for some breakfasts and lunches.

ETA: I wash a bit of silverware, as well as most pots and pans by hand. I hate emptying the dishwasher -- probably my most hated chore. I love it on weekends when DH does it. That is why I try to cut back on usage -- I'd rather wash a few things here and there than run it every day.

Edited by Serenade

There are seven in my family, and we run it about ten times a week. We don't use paper plates, but most of the pots and pans do get handwashed. If I could get the kids to only use one cup per day, I think we would be able to cut it down to once a day. Another thing that I just thought of is that we tend to eat out 2-4 meals a week (lunch or dinner).

3x per day

7 person family

I cook almost everything from scratch

Our dishwasher is under our sink. It is super-duper small. I hate it. Here is a picture similar to our dishwasher.

ge-gsm2200nww-spacemaker-white-underthesink-dishwasher-21449882.jpg

That's the first dishwasher I've seen directly under the sink. Interesting! Are the two racks stacked closer together than a regular dishwasher's racks?

Family of four here and it's usually once a day. However, we do twice a day probably two times a week. It just depends on what we're making since pots and pans go in with everything else. Sometimes I'll leave something to soak and wait for the next load if it won't fit.

Edited by sbgrace

Never. I've divorced it.

I hate dishwashers. I really do. I hate dishwashers. They're like poo poo.

Worst purchasing decision made. And we bought a very, very good one, super-expensive. :glare:

But, but, but, you put dirty dishes in and they come out CLEAN. What's not to like? Your dishwasher is a lemon!

We average 1.5 times every day.

:iagree: That's our average. Family of 4. Most meals from scratch. I put EVERYTHING in the dishwasher. If something doesn't fit, it has to wait for the next load.

3x per day

7 person family

I cook almost everything from scratch

Our dishwasher is under our sink. It is super-duper small. I hate it. Here is a picture similar to our dishwasher.

ge-gsm2200nww-spacemaker-white-underthesink-dishwasher-21449882.jpg

I have NEVER seen this before! It looks like a really bad idea, but infinitely better than no dishwasher.

I went for about a year and a half with no dishwasher. I HATE hand washing dishes. My new one has a deep tub, so EVERYTHING fits. I can move the silverware to the door for even more room. I put everything but the electric skillet and cast iron in there. I don't bother with paper plates at home, because plates just don't take up that much space in the dishwasher. Paper pots and pans could save time, but plates? (Yes, I know that's impractical) even when you hand-wash, the plates are the easiest part of the job.