Menu

am i weird that this irritates me?

So there's this mom that I run into at a few of my kids activities. I can't quite figure her out and I don't really enjoy her company (she gives a lot of unsolicited advice).

Her daughter is a nice girl and has a really active imagination. She also is quite a flirt... always hinting for compliments and things. She and my son are both 8.

So today her mom told me that my son was so cute because he told her daughter that she was really pretty. I didn't really know how to respond but I think I mumbled something appropriate.

I irritates me because I don't believe for a second that he would say that to a girl. It irritates me because I think the mother is a fool to believe her daughter. It irritates me because she is expecting me to find it a cute story.

Even if I believed that he said that, why would I think that was cute?

Am I weird?

Edited by momoflaw

So you are irritated that she thought your boy said something nice to her dd? Okay then.

If you don't like her, don't talk to her but I think it is a silly thing to be irritated about. SOunds like she was trying to open the door to you by offering a compliment/story whatever about your son saying he was cute. And you shut her down by being irritated and mumbling a response? In that regard yes I would say you are weird. I don't think you need to best friends with the woman but what is wrong with simply saying Thank you and moving on without getting irritated over something so trivial?

So you are irritated that she thought your boy said something nice to her dd? Okay then.

If you don't like her, don't talk to her but I think it is a silly thing to be irritated about. SOunds like she was trying to open the door to you by offering a compliment/story whatever about your son saying he was cute. And you shut her down by being irritated and mumbling a response? In that regard yes I would say you are weird. I don't think you need to best friends with the woman but what is wrong with simply saying Thank you and moving on without getting irritated over something so trivial?

I gotta agree here.

I think I see your POV. If some girl has an active imagination, fishes for compliments, flirts, and is putting words into your son's mouth that aren't there, I'd be irritated too.

It's not cute to see a girl act like that no matter what age, much less an 8 yr. old. I tend to be a little conservative and wouldn't find the behavior cute at all.

Really, none of us were there to see it, so none of us can really say. Follow your gut.

Hate to be the devil's advocate... but what IF what she shared was true? It happens. May have been in passing or a simple comment. And maybe it was said after the girl kept talking about herself on and on -- kwim? I think we call those kind of girls flirty and self-absorbed. But, try to realize your boy may have shared the compliment. Move on.

:iagree:

:iagree: I get irritated by people who want to encourage flirty/romantic boyfriend/girlfriend stuff in young children. I don't like it and do not find it cute.

I agree. I'd also just be plain ticked off that she lied about my son. No, it wasn't a HUGE lie but I am bothered by any fabrication, esp. one about someone I love (this is assuming it was a lie... did you ask your son?). It would make me wonder why in the world someone would make up a story like that... it's just bizarre.

ETA: I just realized that maybe her dd made up the story. In that case, I don't think it's such a crazy lie because it's the kind of thing kids do all the time... say what they wish was true. I wasn't a weird 8yo but even at that age, I would have wished a boy thought I was pretty. I wouldn't have said it, but I can see wishing it! I do think the repeating of the story is a bit immature and self-promoting, but whatever.

Edited by Janie Grace

I get a little creeped out if other moms try to imply boyfriend-girlfriend type behavior between one of my small children and theirs. I don't encourage it...I change the subject in a friendly way. My ickiest relatives always talked about their four year olds' girl or boyfriends.:ack2:

No, you are not weird. They both sound obnoxious. I would not find it cute if my 8yob told a girl she was cute.

It would be cute if he told a kitten.

I'd be thinking of ways to avoid anything more than a casual "hi." I'd bring a book to events (if you are a spectator), or I'd be thick in conversation with other people, or I'd actively work at being on the other side of the room. I'd keep conversations short. Life is too short, and she can bug someone else who doesn't mind.

Thanks for all the opinions - even those that disagreed with me. I don't think I was rude to the other woman but ill be careful about that in the future because that isn't my intention. I disagree that this is trivial but im not going for rude - at the time I was quite stunned.

Those that saw my POV- thanks for valodating my feelings. I actually do try to avoid this family but but they've been in the same music class and drama class. Music class will be done in the spring and drama is ongoing.

Anyway, I wouldn't ask my son if he said anything because I don't want to draw any attention to it. If he said it, it would have been a nice thing for him to have said, not some "oh how cute, he has a girlfriend" moment.

:iagree: I get irritated by people who want to encourage flirty/romantic boyfriend/girlfriend stuff in young children. I don't like it and do not find it cute.

I agree with this. I don't know if the woman lied or what, but I think she was fishing for a compliment for HER daughter. As in, HER daughter is so pretty.

I don't know if you should bother to be irritated (although, I am sure I would be, right or wrong :lol:) but this is definitely one of those signs that you will not be best buddies with this lady.

:iagree::iagree:

drama is ongoing.

Anyway, I wouldn't ask my son if he said anything because I don't want to draw any attention to it. If he said it, it would have been a nice thing for him to have said, not some "oh how cute, he has a girlfriend" moment.

I agree that I'm not big on "boyfriend/girlfriend" type things in young children. But calling another child pretty is not that, imho. :) You may be over sensitive to it or because it was this specific person. THAT I can get.

You aren't weird....she is. I have an 8 year old. I'm of the opinion that your ds most likely didn't say that to the girl. I can't imagine an 8 year old boy telling an 8 year old girl, "you're really pretty". I think most kids this age think boy/girl stuff is :ack2: . I guess times may have changed and kids this young do think this way?? Possibly that 8 year old girl does. But, then again....maybe her mom encourages that kind of behavior or thinking. I can just picture the mom saying...."Oh what a cute boy he is. Maybe he could be your boyfriend." Ew....the thought just makes me shudder and now I'm :ack2: .

I would definitely try hard to avoid them.

I think I see your POV. If some girl has an active imagination, fishes for compliments, flirts, and is putting words into your son's mouth that aren't there, I'd be irritated too.

It's not cute to see a girl act like that no matter what age, much less an 8 yr. old. I tend to be a little conservative and wouldn't find the behavior cute at all.

Really, none of us were there to see it, so none of us can really say. Follow your gut.

Over the years, I have learned to never, ever say that my kids wouldn't say or do certain things.

I think it was probably an innocent remark that you are making too much of. I am 45 years old, and I remember a boy in class trying to chase me around the playground and kiss me in first grade! My mother also remembers kids in her elementary class who had little crushes on each other. I really don't think it is weird or unnatural at all.

Over the years, I have learned to never, ever say that my kids wouldn't say or do certain things.

Oh, yes! I'm always shocked that they do/say things I would have been certain they would not have said/done. Just when we think we've figured them out - they change again :glare:

Maybe the young man, in the OP post, was nagged to death by the young lady about whether he thought she was pretty and he agreed to get her to shut up. Not that I would tell the other mother that, but I might imply something of the sort ;).

And boys that age can see beauty. My son once commented about a beautiful velvet and satin quilt (as he was gently running his hands over it), "Oh, this must be what heaven is like." While I might argue with his theology :tongue_smilie: I had to smile because it was certainly an unexpected bit of gentleness and sensitivity from an otherwise rambunctious young boy.

I have an 8 year old. I'm of the opinion that your ds most likely didn't say that to the girl. I can't imagine an 8 year old boy telling an 8 year old girl, "you're really pretty".

I have had three 8-year-old boys. I could definitely imagine two of them saying that to a girl. The third... I'm not sure.

My daughter fishes for compliments, but about things like how helpful or generous she is. Those are the types of things we have tried to instill (selfless acts or empathy toward others), so those are the things she likes to check on to make she 1) she is doing it right, and 2) other people have noticed. While she is internalizing the empathy/selflessness, she is acting from a child-appropriate perspective of doing these things to feel good about herself.

Perhaps this girl has a lot of people who tell her how pretty she is, or who talk about peoples' physical appearances, so she believes it is an important value.

For whatever reason, the other mother doesn't resonate with you. Who is out of synch? Her? or You? If you feel this way with a lot of different people it might be something worth examining... JMHO.

Edited by Amy in NH

And boys that age can see beauty. My son once commented about a beautiful velvet and satin quilt (as he was gently running his hands over it), "Oh, this must be what heaven is like." While I might argue with his theology :tongue_smilie: I had to smile because it was certainly an unexpected bit of gentleness and sensitivity from an otherwise rambunctious young boy.

I hope you have that written down!

Guest submarines
So there's this mom that I run into at a few of my kids activities. I can't quite figure her out and I don't really enjoy her company (she gives a lot of unsolicited advice).

Her daughter is a nice girl and has a really active imagination. She also is quite a flirt... always hinting for compliments and things. She and my son are both 8.

So today her mom told me that my son was so cute because he told her daughter that she was really pretty. I didn't really know how to respond but I think I mumbled something appropriate.

I irritates me because I don't believe for a second that he would say that to a girl. It irritates me because I think the mother is a fool to believe her daughter. It irritates me because she is expecting me to find it a cute story.

Even if I believed that he said that, why would I think that was cute?

Am I weird?

It irritates me as well when young children are sexualised and when parents think that "pretty" is the focus.

On the other hand, she might have asked him whether he thought she was pretty, or even if her dress was pretty. Then in her interpretation he told her that she was pretty--no one really lied.

However, my 6 yo DS tells his sisters that they look pretty when they wear a new t-shirt or a new dress. I don't think it is inappropriate in itself. He is also quite and artist and does appreciate beauty, which for him is combinations of colors more than anything else.

I have a friend who tells me her 8yo DS wants to marry my 9yo DD when they grow up. That doesn't irritate me as much as the "boyfriend / girlfriend " interpretations of every girl / boy friendships.

And back to the OP--I'd be irritated as well.

I would treat that as just the kind of weird thing weird people say and move on.

But, I will admit that both of my 5yo girls started wanting to have boyfriends and talk about getting married at age 4, and this is still ongoing. I do not encourage or discourage it. It comes from their own ideas or their friends at school (they do not watch TV), so I figure it is just a stage and will play out. I do hope it ends long before they are 8.

The other day at drop-off, my daughter's "love interest" and his mom arrived at the same time we did, and the kids started chatting. I have to admit the thought flitted across my mind to jokingly mention how my daughter sees her son (since I have no idea how he sees her). I thought this might weird her out, so I said nothing. I don't want anyone to think I encourage that kind of talk. I just say "oh, OK" when the girls tell me about their "romantic" encounters. I don't want to give it undue importance.

I think it is strange that people think eight year old are "s@xualized" by noticing or commenting on beauty. My boys could have told you which girls seemed most lovely at 8, and it wasn't s@xy or a boyfriend/girlfriend thing. Even children recognize and respond to beauty.

I also think it is Strange that people are so critical of a girl fishing for a compliment. I don't have girls, but I assume every girl would like to hear she is pretty. We would love girls and women to cultivate deeper qualities and value character and intelligence, but come on ... every female also wants to be lovely. And she's eight. So if her attempts are a little misplaced, it seems like we would cut a little slack. Boys want to be strong and love testing their strength. Girls want to be beautiful, but the only way to test that is to hear from others.

The mom? Just a little wrapped up in the details of her daughter's day, I guess. It is hard to say why people irritate us. God knows I am irritable, and it doesn't seem at all wrong to me that you find this woman annoying because there are so many small things that can aggravate, and it usually sounds petty if we try to explain our irritation with other women.

I think it is strange that people think eight year old are "s@xualized" by noticing or commenting on beauty. My boys could have told you which girls seemed most lovely at 8, and it wasn't s@xy or a boyfriend/girlfriend thing. Even children recognize and respond to beauty.

I also think it is Strange that people are so critical of a girl fishing for a compliment. I don't have girls, but I assume every girl would like to hear she is pretty. We would love girls and women to cultivate deeper qualities and value character and intelligence, but come on ... every female also wants to be lovely. And she's eight. So if her attempts are a little misplaced, it seems like we would cut a little slack. Boys want to be strong and love testing their strength. Girls want to be beautiful, but the only way to test that is to hear from others.

The mom? Just a little wrapped up in the details of her daughter's day, I guess. It is hard to say why people irritate us. God knows I am irritable, and it doesn't seem at all wrong to me that you find this woman annoying because there are so many small things that can aggravate, and it usually sounds petty if we try to explain our irritation with other women.

:lol: Love it! I know I can always rely on you.

Best wishes

Cassy

Well put.

:iagree: Honestly, their are some real leaps in logic in this thread.

I strongly agree. I think this is a bizarre attitude. My kids (boys and girls) have had both mixed gender friendships *and* crushes at various ages. I certainly never pushed it or encouraged it, but I didn't treat them as displaying an unnatural interest in the opposite sex either. I think both attitudes are strange.

I agree.

Yep. This mom and her daughter at the very periphery of your lives. It would be a "Eh, whatever" kind of thing for me. It wouldn't bother me if an 8 year old said it and I would read anything into it. What the mom said wouldn't bother me either because all she said was that she thought it was cute. Somehow "pretty" and "cute" seem to be trigger words here! If she said, "Ooooh. Don't they make a cute couple." Then I would be irritated because I wouldn't want my child at that age to get those kinds of ideas.

I'd just smile and say, "Yes, my boy is a real gentleman". Really, it doesn't deserve a lot of comment...I, too, get irritated at those who want to make something out of a little comment that really doesn't hold any significance.

Having 4 boys, I've had my share of these types of comments. Those comments did fade away once the boys entered the teen years. Then it was usually, "Did you know your son did XYZ? I would want to know if my child did that so that's why I'm telling you.":glare: (usually told to me by the mothers of daughters and the activity involved climbing a tree, going barefoot across the road, etc. :tongue_smilie:)

Edited by CynthiaOK

Danestress, I pretty much agree withthat you but im not trying to criticize the girl - one might say that this is karma for me. I remember what its like to be 8.

I guess I just don't know what this mom wanted me to say that wouldn't have given the comment more significance.

Sorry, im on my phone and having a hard time both quoting and spelling.

The thing is, even if he did, so what? Im just not sure how I was to respond. Because commenting on it gives it some significanceand it has none.

I don't see how a quick comment would give it any significance. She didn't say "I bet he likes her" or "We better watch these two!" so don't assume she meant that, kwim? I know you have certain thoughts about this mom/daughter pair, but lots of moms would think that's a cute and/or nice thing to say. Lots of them would mention it, because most moms like to hear other moms say their kids are cute or nice :001_smile:

I would just say something like, "Yes, she is a pretty little girl" or as another poster suggested, something like, "Yes, he is a gentleman." If she ever makes a remark along the boyfriend/girlfriend level, you can address it then.

I don't see how a quick comment would give it any significance. She didn't say "I bet he likes her" or "We better watch these two!" so don't assume she meant that, kwim? I know you have certain thoughts about this mom/daughter pair, but lots of moms would think that's a cute and/or nice thing to say. Lots of them would mention it, because most moms like to hear other moms say their kids are cute or nice :001_smile:

I would just say something like, "Yes, she is a pretty little girl" or as another poster suggested, something like, "Yes, he is a gentleman." If she ever makes a remark along the boyfriend/girlfriend level, you can address it then.

Thank you for this response. I think its just that I feel like id be giving g it significance if I commented on it. I guess not everyone would feel that way.

I wouldn't say she was pretty (at that time) because I feel like thats fishing and I don't play that game. I do like the suggestion of saying ds is a gentleman, I didn't think of that.

My first thought is that she probably asked if he thought she was pretty and being a nice kid, he said yes and then the girl made it out to be more than what it was.

Either way, we're always going to meet people we don't get along with and avoiding her whenever possible and putting up with her when it's not is probably the best.

It would be the lie that bothered me...

My ds is currently in a "girls are ICK" stage. He would NEVER on pain of death tell a girl she was cute (especially if he was thinking that). Shudder at the thought! If someone came and told me that he said that, I'd know (by his current behavior) that it was a story. Another child in my family... another stage... who's to know... it could happen! But for *this* child at *this* time? No way.

It is very possible that OP is SURE that THIS son wouldn't have said that NOW.

So, if OP suspects a lie... I could see why that would bother her. Either the girl or the mom... it doesn't matter. Who wants to dig further? I'd keep my distance.

Edited by zaichiki

The premature (and probably highly counter-natural) sexualization of children annoys me too.

A boy thinking a girl is pretty is sexualizing children? Not "hot" or "sexy," just pretty. :confused:

Reading sexual intent into "pretty" is silly.

To the OP's question:

The little girl probably is pretty, in a sweet little girl way. If indeed your ds did say something to the little girl, maybe he liked the bow in her hair or her smile or the flower on her shirt, but I wouldn't read any more into it than that. :) My ds thinks a little girl in his choir is pretty. He also thinks I'm pretty, and that his friend's big sister is pretty, and that the cat across the street is pretty, and that the flowers in the front yard are pretty. My dd used to tell me, at age 8, that she thought her friend was pretty. She probably said so to her friend too.

Assume good, and innocent, intent unless it is obviously intended otherwis, on the part of the children and the mom. You don't have to think it's "cute" but I wouldn't assume that the mom is promoting a crush or a relationship from a simple statement like that.

Cat