• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you must be better than everyone else!!! :D

:chillpill:

Frankly, you can keep your chill pill :D

I've said some stupid things, but never threatened to physically harm my child. I'm surprised it seems so common place. I was never threatened as as a child :001_huh:

You didn't threaten to punch him :glare:

Am I the only parent that has said something stupid in the heat of the moment that I would never actually act on? :confused: Are parents never supposed to make mistakes - ever? Cause I am in a lot of trouble and I suspect many of my friend's are as well. If I do, then yes, I apologize later and explain why I shouldn't have said such a thing. But for my kids to think I NEVER make a mistake or NEVER say something I shouldn't have doesn't give them a fair picture of people. People are imperfect and they say things when they have reached their absolute limit.

The sister is completely out of line. She has no clue what it is like dealing with Aspie or Aspie like behavior and to make matters worse she sounds as if she thinks she knows everything there is to know about everything.

Last Christmas my middle son destroyed his brand new DS two days after getting it. To make it worse he hid it from me. When I discovered it - at the bottom of the smelliest trash I'd emptied all year - I was so angry I had to drive him to his father. And I told him I was too angry to be around him at that moment. I said it in a calm tone of voice. I did not yell at him. I simply drove him to his father until I could cool down and let DH deal with the issue. I want my kids - my very literal kids - to learn how to handle being that angry. To vocalize that one needs to remove oneself to prevent bad behavior is a very important lesson for my kids to learn. To understand that everyone has their breaking point is another.

After I had calmed down and the two returned home, I explained I was infuriated that he had hidden it from me more than I was upset that he had destroyed a 200 dollar gaming system. He seems to understand the importance of giving himself a time out now. I never threatened to hit him or hurt him but I told him I was too upset to be around him and took him to where he was safe. I see nothing wrong with vocalizing that to a child - though in this case it was probably a bit over the top and in an exasperated frustrated moment.

Really? Your mama never said she was gonna whip your hide if you didn't knock off whatever it was you were doing? You dad never said he was going to knock you halfway to China if you didn't quiet down? Etc? Heck, I use those on my own kids all the time. It doesn't necessarily mean that I'm actually going to do it, and the OP has said that her DH was not really going to harm her son, either.

No! My parents were nonviolent. Perhaps I'm jaded because it isn't commonplace with us.

Really? Your mama never said she was gonna whip your hide if you didn't knock off whatever it was you were doing? You dad never said he was going to knock you halfway to China if you didn't quiet down? Etc? Heck, I use those on my own kids all the time. It doesn't necessarily mean that I'm actually going to do it, and the OP has said that her DH was not really going to harm her son, either.

;) Exactly. Do you know how many times I was told "I'm going to knock you into next week..". I never did get knocked into the next week. :tongue_smilie:

I am a mandatory reporter and would have read that situation very differently. Your dh knew he was very angry and chose to get someone who would handle things in a calmer fashion.

I would be very hesitant to spend anytime with my sister if I were in your shoes. I am glad she spoke with your son and gathered info, but even bringing up reporting was very immature.

:iagree:

;) Exactly. Do you know how many times I was told "I'm going to knock you into next week..". I never did get knocked into the next week. :tongue_smilie:

Exactly. I was often told I was "crusin for a bruisin," but never even had a spanking my entire life. Knock you into next week was also sometimes used, lol.

Life with an aspie can bring out the worst in you. And with holiday stress, well, let's just say your DH is not the only one *I* know of who has said things that might be inappropriate. I'm not proud of it, but I have told my daughter similar things. I have left the room because if I didn't, well, it wouldn't be pretty.

Holidays, and the lack of routine, wreck havoc on my daughter. Which then wrecks havoc on everybody else.

Cool. Mine didn't threaten to become physical. No big. Obviously I'm the odd one out here; and no amount of arguing is going to make me feel that hubby was okay in what he did.

I don't think anyone said it was good, or appropriate. Just that it wasn't child abuse or something that she should be reporting to DCF. Acting like she is doing me a favor and could lose her job for not reporting it.

I routinely tell my children I am going to beat them like red-headed stepchildren, yet it is rare that we administer a single spanking in a six month period. I've also been known to threaten hanging them from the ceiling by thier toes, duck-taping them to the wall, and lighting a firecracker under their rump.

There is a lot of space between "violent" talk and actual violence, esp. when you consider the great variance in opinions of what constitutes violence.

OP- I don't know that I would cut off dear sis, but I would be wary from here on.

Implying that he would have if handing the reigns to someone else wasn't possible? Sorry. In our home we don't consider it okay to even IMPLY violence against children.

you have a 10 yo girl,

and a 2yo boy.

talk to us again when you have an 18yo boy who is regularly beligerant because that's his personality. 2yo boy is lightyears away from 12yo aspie boy.

I was a mandatory reporter for many years and this would NOT have been something I would have reported. While your dh was not showing very good judgement considering that your sister was around, it would infuriate me that she was behaving like that. I'm sure your dh felt bad enough after he calmed down, but now the added stress of dealing with a sil who sounds like a loose cannon must be really difficult for him.

I'd avoid her and if you can't then be very cautious about the amount of time you spend with them and I'd be very clear that she is NOT to be interrogating your son! Being a mandatory reporter DOES NOT mean you are to interfere and interrogate. She was out of line. :grouphug:

Life with an aspie can bring out the worst in you. And with holiday stress, well, let's just say your DH is not the only one *I* know of who has said things that might be inappropriate. I'm not proud of it, but I have told my daughter similar things. I have left the room because if I didn't, well, it wouldn't be pretty.

Holidays, and the lack of routine, wreck havoc on my daughter. Which then wrecks havoc on everybody else.

Exactly!! :iagree:

Am I the only parent that has said something stupid in the heat of the moment that I would never actually act on? :confused: Are parents never supposed to make mistakes - ever? Cause I am in a lot of trouble and I suspect many of my friend's are as well. If I do, then yes, I apologize later and explain why I shouldn't have said such a thing. But for my kids to think I NEVER make a mistake or NEVER say something I shouldn't have doesn't give them a fair picture of people. People are imperfect and they say things when they have reached their absolute limit.

No you are not the only one. I haven't spanked ds for YEARS, but have been guilty of saying things I instantly regret. Good grief.

Mine were, too. I don't ever remember a time that my mother or my father laid a hand on me.

And that's the point.

Exactly. My mother only 'hit' me one time....I was 15 and she slapped me after I made some smart remark...but remarks like good grief.....I know she has said things she wished she hadn't.

:iagree: and they can reduce the best parent into a puddle of goo and feeling like a failure as a parent when they are out of control because tehy are overhwelmed from all the extra holiday stressors on them. having outsiders (even if they are family) looking on, and then interfering, with a melting down aspie is just more stress.

Exactly. He was NOT going to hit him. He has never hit him. He never would hit him. It was an expression of frustration. An innapropriate one, but not child abuse. My son was upset because he didn't like be told what to do, not because he feared for his safety.

The way you described it, I could see this situation happening. I watched a boy in his teens "buck up" on his stepfather, taking an intimidating posture and throwing attitude. The stepfather said near the same thing your husband did and left the room. Your husband meant, "I need to leave before I do something I regret." The words may not have been the best choice, but his actions show he did the right thing.

I routinely tell my children I am going to beat them like red-headed stepchildren, yet it is rare that we administer a single spanking in a six month period. I've also been known to threaten hanging them from the ceiling by thier toes, duck-taping them to the wall, and lighting a firecracker under their rump.

There is a lot of space between "violent" talk and actual violence, esp. when you consider the great variance in opinions of what constitutes violence.

OP- I don't know that I would cut off dear sis, but I would be wary from here on.

Yep. Hanging on my kitchen wall is an honory 'stick' that reads 'Ms. Scarlett's big stick'. Made by the grandfather of my neighbor kids because as they were growing up (from age 2 on) and routinely at my house, I often would say to them and my ds, 'do you want me to beat you with a big stick?'

Clearly, no one believed I would REALLY beat them with a big stick.

Oh, and for the record, I've never used "Ms. Scarlett's big stick".

The way you described it, I could see this situation happening. I watched a boy in his teens "buck up" on his stepfather, taking an intimidating posture and throwing attitude. The stepfather said near the same thing your husband did and left the room. Your husband meant, "I need to leave before I do something I regret." The words may not have been the best choice, but his actions show he did the right thing.

Exactly.

Obviously I'm the odd one out here; and no amount of arguing is going to make me feel that hubby was okay in what he did.

I haven't seen anyone say the husband was okay in what he did. Most posters seem to see that the dh could have said something in the heat of the moment that he regretted, but he didn't do anything to the boy. I've seen this happen often, especially between teen boys and stepfathers. The boys are testing their boundaries, and the stepfathers are respecting the limits of their authority. It doesn't mean they don't say things they regret. The family shouldn't be subject to a report to/visit from child welfare, because of a comment made during a confrontation.

:iagree: and they can reduce the best parent into a puddle of goo and feeling like a failure as a parent when they are out of control because tehy are overhwelmed from all the extra holiday stressors on them. having outsiders (even if they are family) looking on, and then interfering, with a melting down aspie is just more stress.

I don't have an Aspie or maybe I do and don't know it yet but I do have a son that knows how to drive people insane. Unless a person has experienced my son in his full glory, we just end up looking like jerks. When they have had a taste of my son, then people are like, "Okay, we get it. Makes sense that your hair is falling out. Totally legit."

But the OP's sis knows that the son is an Aspie and really knew better.

You didn't threaten to punch him :glare:

I felt like I could have said it. I was that mad. I was so mad I could not even speak intelligibly. I'm not sure how he understood that we were going to his father's office. Maybe he did understand get in the car, now.

My grandmother - my dear sweet 87 year old grandma who raised her voice to me exactly once in my 44 years - once told me she'd smack my jaws if I did not leave her alone. I was being an utterly obnoxious teenager at the time. No, she did not hit me, nor was she ever violent. She regreted saying it. But say it she did.

It's very hard to explain to someone who has never dealt with an Aspie - a rather large Aspie - with attitude. It's a 'walk a mile' in my shoes moment for sure. My oldest son is taller and much larger than I am. We can. not. let. him. get. out of control. Ever. He rages. He can do serious damage. He does not know what he's doing when he hits meltdown moment. We cannot let him work himself up to that point. Period. We do not hit. We do not spank. Our hyposensitve children do not respond to spanking. Yet and still I have threatened to jerk a knot in one or all three of them. This week has been a corker. In addition to the holiday my mother, their grandmother, passed on last Sunday. I'm sure I'm bound to say something that crosses a line though I am VERY careful to remove myself before I cross it. I am guarding against it, but I am but human.

We all say things we wish we could take back the minute they fly out of our mouths. All of us. Things we would never do but speak of when pushed past our human limits. No one is saying he said the right thing at all. Just because you can understand why someone would say something does not mean you endorse or approve of it. I call it empathizing. And good for him for realizing he needed someone else to deal with the son.

I think you need to stay away from your sister.

My ds is not dx aspergers. He's NVLD. He has a lot of aspergers behaviors. It's very hard to raise a child like this. We do not go on trips to visit family. We do have family nearby. We will go visit on holidays for two or three hours--no more than three. But really we cannot take an overnight trip and stay in a relative's home. We've only gone on one vacation where we stayed in a hotel that went well. So, we think long and hard about traveling anywhere as a family and it we had to stay with family and not have our own space travel would not happen at all.

Your dh did yell something inappropriate, but I've yelled lots of innappropriate stuff. Only a person who is actually raising a child with this type of disability can really know the depth of frustration you can reach as a parent.

Your sister is competitive with you for some reason:

-she is going to find ways to find fault with you, your parenting, your teaching

-she is going to find things wrong with your dh. If I were you I would expect her to do this with any possible situation and I would expect her to twist in the fact that he's a step dad somehow, even though you did not mention that as an issue

- she is going to find fault with your ds. she is going to find ways to make out that your ds's problems are not part of aspergers, but that you are a crappy parent and she never would have done X, Y, Z, etc.

- I would expect her to be super competitive with her 2 year old and your dd. You may think right now it's nice to have a cousin close in age. However, from what you've said future events where these young cousins are together could be ugly. First, there would be constant comparisons to her near perfect dd, then if the children argue over anything your sis would find fault with your dd every single time.

Do not feel guilty about not spending more time with your sister. If she wants to spend time with you it appears her purpose is to find more of your own weaknesses and flaws.

No you are not the only one. I haven't spanked ds for YEARS, but have been guilty of saying things I instantly regret. Good grief.

I'm with you. And I have actually said phrases like that without ever meaning an intent to harm. It's like a "back off, I'm pissed". But, we're that kind of family. We know each other's boundaries. It's not okay for some families, but it is in ours. Maybe OP's family is like that. We actually have a family joke about punching in the face. Ds8 used to say that when he was 2 or so. It came out "tunch you in the face." When we are getting heated, I will say that (mispronunciation and all) to break the tension. I would hate to think that my sib would report me. Seriously.

I find nothing wrong with what the OP's Dh said. Not a thing. He stated that he was very angry and that he needed to walk away before he hit the kid. That's a very human response. And I'm glad he did walk away. Maybe the people who take issue with his choice of words don't have a temper. Some of us do.

OP, keep away from Sis. It's not good for either of you.

I would have been livid that after your dh and you had handled ds, your sister felt a need to interfer by going in to sympathize and grill him, then compound that error by coming out and proceeding to grill and accuse and interrogate dh and you! I would have been furious at her interference and undermining. It was none of her business and we would have told her so. I likely would have put some effort to getting that point across nicer than my usual bluntness. But I would have got it across nonetheless.

Then to add more insult, she gives this BS about calling CPS?!

The end. She would not be welcome in my home. I would not be going to hers either. I wouldn't make a fuss. I'd just stop.

I would have been livid that after your dh and you had handled ds, your sister felt a need to interfer by going in to sympathize and grill him, then compound that error by coming out and proceeding to grill and accuse and interrogate dh and you! I would have been furious at her interference and undermining. It was none of her business and we would have told her so. I likely would have put some effort to getting that point across nicer than my usual bluntness. But I would have got it across nonetheless.

Then to add more insult, she gives this BS about calling CPS?!

The end. She would not be welcome in my home. I would not be going to hers either. I wouldn't make a fuss. I'd just stop.

Completely agree. With all. of. it.

As the OP stated and as others have since repeated, he said he needed to leave the room so he wouldn't punch the kid. That's just letting kiddo know that he's past the point of rationality and is backing out.

I've said some stupid things, but never threatened to physically harm my child. I'm surprised it seems so common place. I was never threatened as as a child :001_huh:

Cool. Mine didn't threaten to become physical. No big. Obviously I'm the odd one out here; and no amount of arguing is going to make me feel that hubby was okay in what he did.

Most people aren't saying "It was perfectly fine."

Most people are saying "Yeah, it was a dumb thing to say, but given the context and history not really reportable."

Sometime in the year after ds was born there was a story about a father in Fresno who put his newborn child in the microwave. it was an awful story, everyone was obviously outraged. Once the anger passed, it turned into a phrase still used in our home. DH and I at any time can tell each other 'microwave time' and know that the other needs to step in and take over. Would we ever put our kids in a microwave? Absolutely not! (besides the fact that they are now too big) But we understand that there is a breaking point and there is a time to remove yourself.

I once called Josh at work and made him come home after an argument with dd. He came home to find me sitting in the car and dd in the house alone. I wasn't in any frame of mind to be in the house with her. I could have easily said/done things I didn't mean.

I personally don't see anything wrong with what he said. He recognized he needed to remove himself and did. Your sister sounds crazy, and limiting your relationship with her seems like the best option for everyone.

I would just give it some time and distance. My sister is a teacher and completely gets how Aspies are. I would think your sister would, as well. Sorry about this. I know it's stressful.

this is an excellent point.

I'm really sorry this happened. 11 is a very difficult age even WITHOUT Aspergers. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I'm not getting how your sister is any model of perfection dragging around a feverish, sick child? Your day sounds like a big mess with the adults acting like overwhelmed children. It sounds like your the only one that kept your cool. I would schedule(demand) another get together for apologizing(husband first) and try again to have a family day. I'm sure the intention was sincere from everybody. Build the bridge and get over it. It's obvious your sister needs attention so extend some quality time so she can realize your not some monster family and move on in life. I'm sure you love your sister and this was just a bad day and lapse of reasoning.

I am a mandatory reporter and would have read that situation very differently. Your dh knew he was very angry and chose to get someone who would handle things in a calmer fashion.

I would be very hesitant to spend anytime with my sister if I were in your shoes. I am glad she spoke with your son and gathered info, but even bringing up reporting was very immature.

You've had enough stress for one Christmas. Give yourself a break to have 'no response' to her for at least a week which may turn into a month. Your sister has a problem. Even if she is confused, a dumb*&$, etc, she's still sent a message loud and clear. It would be remiss of you to ignore this. DH certainly hasn't

:lol: :001_huh:

No one has said he was. The point is that he isn't abusive and it isn't something that should be reported. The sister is acting like an idiot.

:iagree: completely

I totally agree that what happened between your dh and your ds was not at all reportable, and that your sister is on a scary power trip and you should avoid her from now on.

I would also like to add, however, in defense of the pp who took issue with what your dh said to your ds...

If I ever said (in anger, not joking around) to my 14 year old stepson, "I'm going to get your dad before I end up punching you!", my husband would be very, very upset with me. That's not acceptable. It's not reportable to CPS, but it's also not how one should speak to a child. And, if I may say so, it's *especially* NOT how a stepdad should speak to an (almost) teenage stepson. It's setting some baaad groundwork, IMO.

I totally agree that what happened between your dh and your ds was not at all reportable, and that your sister is on a scary power trip and you should avoid her from now on.

I would also like to add, however, in defense of the pp who took issue with what your dh said to your ds...

If I ever said (in anger, not joking around) to my 14 year old stepson, "I'm going to get your dad before I end up punching you!", my husband would be very, very upset with me. That's not acceptable. It's not reportable to CPS, but it's also not how one should speak to a child. And, if I may say so, it's *especially* NOT how a stepdad should speak to an (almost) teenage stepson. It's setting some baaad groundwork, IMO.

:iagree::iagree:

I think this would be one of those "draw a line" situations. I would tell her she is being melodramatic and irrational. I would tell her that she's always been melodramatic and irrational and that you recognize that as a manifestation of her inferiority complex. Of course, she should feel inferior because she is a dumba$$ melodramatic twit, and she needs to back the truck off or the next statement out of your mouth will be the last one you'll ever speak to her again.

If she continues to push it, tell her she can mandatory report this (insert obvious gesture here) bless her heart.

I think this would be one of those "draw a line" situations. I would tell her she is being melodramatic and irrational. I would tell her that she's always been melodramatic and irrational and that you recognize that as a manifestation of her inferiority complex. Of course, she should feel inferior because she is a dumba$$ melodramatic twit, and she needs to back the truck off or the next statement out of your mouth will be the last one you'll ever speak to her again.

If she continues to push it, tell her she can mandatory report this (insert obvious gesture here) bless her heart.

:D

Seriously gasping for air over here. The next time I have to gear up for a confrontation I am going to ask myself, how would Audrey delicately put it. :tongue_smilie:

Ugh! That would have sent me into a fear flight. I have a RAD teenager daughter and one of my biggest fears is that someone who does not understand special needs kids would overhear one of our conversations or would dare to try to talk to my daughter while we are in the midst of an episode and then threaten to call DCF. I would totally put some distance between myself and the threatening person. My aunt told me a few months ago that she thought I was making the RAD stuff up and she has not seen or talked to my daughter since. I refuse to risk it.

Some of the things I've said to that child... well, I totally understand where your DH was coming from. Everyone has a breaking point. Some of us have been pushed there way to many times. It hurts the most, though, when family, people who are supposed to KNOW you, think the worst. I've been dealing with that a lot this past year.

I'm so sorry! :grouphug: to you and your DH.

I think the husband and sister both obviously need a break. They both did knee jerk reactions and I'm sure they both regret it. I would use forgiveness because I'm sure they're not in "miffed man mode" or "vice principal mode" all the time. I would honestly let it go. It's pain to be avoided if you clear the situation up properly. It's a bit petty to hang on to it after everyone cools down. That's what makes a real family, getting past the mistakes and small stuff.

Ill informed, do-gooder busybodies...very dangerous.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Legalism is to the letter of the law.

It lacks wisdom, mercy and grace. Which sounds like what the OP's sister needed before making that threat. She has burned her bridge and hopefully she can apologize. This is going to be a big mess.

I'd be more concerned as to why she was undermining your parenting by talking to your ds at all. He's a pre-teen, the world is going to be "out to get him". Your dh did the right thing by walking away.

I'd keep my distance for a considerable while with her because clearly it doesn't bring out the best in either of you.

I am in the "bad play by all involved" camp.

I also think that saying things like, "I'll knock you into next week" and other things PP have written...are indeed VIOLENT. People are kidding themselves if they think they aren't.

But there are many violent reponses on this board that make me cringe and make my stomach acidy. Even if you just typing words on a computer screen, violent responses just add to the cycle of violence.

Your dh is going to need better parenting and coping skills to deal with your ds as he goes through puberty.

"I'm going to get your mom before I end up punching you!" How would you or your dh react if your ds said this to you, your dh or dd? This is what he is learning...

Dealing with your sister would be the easy part for my heart.

Why is your dh's inappropriate - over reaction to stress more understandable than your ds's?

Edited by Tammyla