Menu

Where should we live -- military relocation -- have to decide by noon!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Twenty-nine Palms would not be my favorite place to live in California, but hey--the homeschool laws in Cali are MUCH better than the laws in PA. And you would be easy-driving distance to both the San Diego and Los Angeles areas...and Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm and Magic Mountain. I say California. :D

Well, Twenty-nine Palms would not be my favorite place to live in California, but hey--the homeschool laws in Cali are MUCH better than the laws in PA. And you would be easy-driving distance to both the San Diego and Los Angeles areas...and Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm and Magic Mountain. I say California. :D

It is in the desert, but it's near a lot of other cool stuff as well.

Can you talk with someone already living on base there? I assume there is a hsing group. The schools in CA can be pretty dicey. I have no idea about San Bernardino's system.

Edited by LibraryLover

:iagree:

:iagree:You would also be close to the ocean and the mountains.

Our first duty station was Fort Irwin which is more remote than 29 Palms. It was over an hour to Wal-Mart of a restaurant. But, there were a few good things. People were closer on base because nearly everyone lived in base. The housing was nice. We had nice facilities because people relied upon them more. People were more military-community-minded.

It was also within a 2-3 hour drive to Vegas, LA, Disney, Big Bear and lots of other fun places. We went somewhere nearly every weekend.

I would choose CA because of the easier homeschool laws. Looks like 29 Palms has a homeschool group too. :)

we are in the desert, but north of LA. just for the proximity to all sorts of fabulous places, 29 palms is great.... and the homeschooling laws are great, and the homeschooling communities are pretty great, too....

fwiw,

ann

eta: thru a kid's eyes, an annual pass to disneyland and the marine park are hard to beat ; )

we are in the desert, but north of LA. just for the proximity to all sorts of fabulous places, 29 palms is great.... and the homeschooling laws are great, and the homeschooling communities are pretty great, too....

fwiw,

ann

eta: thru a kid's eyes, an annual pass to disneyland and the marine park are hard to beat ; )

I am about an hour west of 29 palms..my hubs is a military mover and is out there alot. I agree eith the others: easy homeschool laws, driving distance to beach, san diego, beaches, la, etc..Mild winters compared to PA.

29 Palms in a heartbeat.

We lived on 29 Palms and I actually really liked it. Not as much as San Diego or Hawaii obviously but I would take it before a lot of other places. I love the California desert, and the base is right next door to Joshua Tree National Park. If you or your sons like the outdoors its a great place to be with tons of hiking, mountain biking, rock climbing, etc. CA homeschooling laws are easy. It's about 45 minutes to Palm Springs and a few hours to LA, San Diego, or Las Vegas. Pretty close to Big Bear for skiing in the winter too.

The base housing is nice and because the local schools are crap there were a lot of homeschoolers when we lived there 8 years ago. They had a lot of family activities like free movies at the base theater in summer, etc. You get all kinds of people in the desert out in town. A friend of ours lived next to a super religious family in town, but Joshua Tree itself has kind of a hippy vibe with cafes, etc to serve tourists coming to see the Park.

Shopping isn't so great but I consider that a plus :)

29 Palms! 29 Palms!

It is arguably the most beautiful place on the planet. Clean air! Mountains all around. Not expensive like LA. 2 active homeschool associations and even a co-op. Easy homeschool laws (4 ways to homeschool, you can register as a private school for the least intrusive HS). People go to this place to heal from health ailments!

If I could unload my house, I would be there in a heartbeat.

Also, dh is retired USMC. The base amenities are among the best in the Corps there at the base. Lots of things to do and places to SEEEEE!

I want to move there and homestead on my land and live in a wooden yurt! :) :)

I happen to love living in PA, so I'd vote for it for that reason. Allentown's not a bad area -- nice out there, actually. Homeschooling could definitely be worse; it's really not so bad. More restrictive than CA, but it's really workable. It doesn't cost me more than a few extra minutes here and there to comply with the law (there are a million loopholes, since they're very vague). I had a friend who lived in Twentynine Palms, and she really didn't care for it at all.

I'm in San Diego. I vote Allentown. A friend of mine lives there and I visited once and there are so many places within driving distance (NYC). Since I've lived in San Diego for two different duty stations, I vote Allentown as well - something different. Plus, as others have said, 29 Palms is in the middle of nowhere. I wouldn't want to live there personally.

And we NEVER say "The O.C.". :D

Right you are.

Although as a kid in the 60s when we would have to drive down from LA to visit relatives down there (when it still had an uber-conservative vibe, since changed) we'd say we were going "behind the Orange Curtain."

As to the original question I know nothing of Allentown. 29 Palms is strange. The area (especially nearby Joshua Tree) can be exceptionally beautiful—in a way. One just better like living in a strange desert landscape in the middle of nowhere.

I think it is an option one might either hate or love. It is a decidedly unusual place to live.

Bill

Really? Nobody? Ever? I have 2 friends from CA and I've heard them both refer to it as Cali at different times. Maybe it's uh...an age difference thing? They are both about 10 years younger than I am (I'm 36).

I'm a 50+ year native of California and never in my life have a known someone from here to refer to our state as Cali. I think it would get a weird reaction.

Just as people from here do not refer to San Francisco as "Frisco" unless they are lacking sophistication. It is just not done, you know :D

Bill

Yes. :eek:

In California, you file an affidavit annually on-line as a private school. The end. No testing, no miinimum # of school days, no requirements for graduation, nada, zip.

PA is not "complicated". It's just nuisance paperwork. Beyond that, it's fairly simply to homeschool here. I thought the same as you BEFORE I moved here and when I was just looking at the laws in comparison to IL and TX. But the reality is that it's not difficult at all.

I'm voting for PA. I knew people stationed in Allentown and they LOVE it here. You will be right north of Philly. You will be less than two hrs from the ocean. You will be fairly close to NYC, Baltimore, and DC (basically, you will be in the East Coast Corridor).

Edited by mommaduck

I think I'd need to go for the green. As much as I love California 29 Palms is so isolated and so strange. It is in the middle of nowhere, has a certan low-life, depressive, out-of-time quality that is not inspiring—unless one likes the feeling of out-law biker outposts where everyone seems to be fleeing their pasts.

The areas North of Philadelphia that I've seen have been green and beautiful. Barring news that it is a "pit" I'd vote Allentown. Unless one is a "desert-rat."

Bill