Menu

Does it surprise you that 1 in 4 American women are on anti-depressants?

Click the PDF for New Report: America’s State of Mind.

This report made news a couple of weeks ago. Had a hard time swallowing it at first, and mulled it over to conclude that: 1) maybe PMS/PMDD is being better diagnosed, 2) maybe women are having a really hard time keeping up with impossible standards in a highly developed country [yes, every woman except you keeps nothing but fresh flowers and a handsome knife set on the kitchen counter and (in the words of Steve Carell from Date Night), has a physical appearance "so hot it's like looking through a shimmering jet engine" , 3) social networking reduces the need and opportunity for real social interaction in which your friends could obviously see something is wrong and try to help you, and 4) whatever the reason(s) -- 1 in 4 is nothing to be glad about.

There were other surprising stats about anti-d usage in children too.

Anyway, would you have believed 1 in 4 women ... or higher?

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't surprise me. Some men and women in my family are on them. (Personally I was blessed with a mellow personality and blow things off pretty easily.) I really wish that there were better mainstream non-chemical treatments, because the drugs all have concerning side effects, which ultimately feed the "need" for them. But on the other hand, who am I to say that another woman doesn't "really feel that bad"? I know some folks that really would rather not take drugs, but they feel they need to in order to accomplish anything day to day.

It doesn't surprise me in the least. Especially since every.single.time. I go to the doctor for ANYTHING they want to prescribe an anti-depressant. Got migraines? Try an anti-depressant. Got a stomach ache? Try an anti-depressant. :glare: It's astonishing really. I have found it extremely difficult to find a doctor willing to look for underlying causes for illness, preferring instead to try to pawn a drug off on me. Even my teen dd, when dealing with allergies and insomnia, was asked if she thought she'd like to try an anti-depressant...because she was run down and tired. (Could it have anything to do with the mile long list of allergies she has?)

Don't get me wrong, I am glad they exist for those that truly need them, but they are WAY over prescribed IMHO.

But 25% of the women in the country? :glare:

It is 26% to be exact according to the bar chart for women on mental health meds. (but I wonder what the error is in these statistics? Error is never reported)

Edited by mirth

Not at all surprised because anti-depressants are used for many things other than depression. My dd is on them for the joint reasons of migraine prevention and PMDD. At a previous time in life, I was on them for nerve pain relief. Others are on them to stop smoking. Now I have never heard them being prescribed for stomach pain but thinking about that, it may be helpful for irritable bowel syndrome.

No, I don't think they are over-prescribed. Antidepressants work on either seratonin or dopamine levels or receptors in the body. Those are very important chemicals that influence many systems in our body. Now why we have so many people with chemical imbalances is puzzling but I do think we do have that problem. I don't know why my two girls are significantly more troubled with health problems than I was at their ages. They had a more varied diet than I did, more exercise, and I don't know what caused their issues. I suspect some of them may have been that I definitely was chronically ill by the time I was pregnant with both of them. Some of them might be issues that would have arose in my dh's family except that he came from an all male background and there weren't many females in the previous generation either.

Really? Wow. I have never had a doctor even recommend anti-d for me.

Dawn

It doesn't surprise me in the least. Especially since every.single.time. I go to the doctor for ANYTHING they want to prescribe an anti-depressant. Got migraines? Try an anti-depressant. Got a stomach ache? Try an anti-depressant. :glare: It's astonishing really. I have found it extremely difficult to find a doctor willing to look for underlying causes for illness, preferring instead to try to pawn a drug off on me. Even my teen dd, when dealing with allergies and insomnia, was asked if she thought she'd like to try an anti-depressant...because she was run down and tired. (Could it have anything to do with the mile long list of allergies she has?)

Don't get me wrong, I am glad they exist for those that truly need them, but they are WAY over prescribed IMHO.

I would believe it.

2) maybe women are having a really hard time keeping up with impossible standards in a highly developed country [yes, every woman except you keeps nothing but fresh flowers and a handsome knife set on the kitchen counter and (in the words of Steve Carell from Date Night), has a physical appearance "so hot it's like looking through a shimmering jet engine"
Along those lines - websites such as Pinterest lead to an unusually high standard. I see so many pins with comments like, "I'm so having that (massive, full of shoes, organized) closet in my next house." (And - really - a slide from your closet into a pool? How many times is that pinned with comments about wanting it. Crazy.) I think it goes hand-in-hand with the fact that people today expect such a high standard of living, then are depressed when they don't. I see it daily in my community. We bought our house in an up-and-coming suburb nearly 20 years ago. It has since boomed and we have, by far, one of the smaller houses. It is still a nice house, but we have so many friends that have 'moved up' and beg us to move up into their new neighborhood. You know what? Our house is smaller and older - but I am happy with it. And - more importantly - this house is paid off!! That gives us so much happiness - and financial freedom.

Especially since every.single.time. I go to the doctor for ANYTHING they want to prescribe an anti-depressant. Got migraines? Try an anti-depressant. Got a stomach ache? Try an anti-depressant. :glare: It's astonishing really. I have found it extremely difficult to find a doctor willing to look for underlying causes for illness, preferring instead to try to pawn a drug off on me.
Exactly.

My DH was having chest pains and - when they couldn't find a heart condition - he was prescribed anti-depressants. He didn't want to try them, but the doctors convinced him it was "all in his head." The chest pains didn't go away. Six months later, he was dx with a deep muscle tear in his pectoral area. :glare: Once that was finally cleared up, the chest pains went away.

Wow, I knew it was a lot, but I had no idea it was that much. And yeah, I agree wit the reasons.

My Dh calls them Soma (Huxley's Brave New World).

That's not saying that they're not needed in cases, but that it's overused. And, I'm concerned about all of it in our wastewater. As far as I know, there's no way to filter it out?

Edited by justamouse

Click the PDF for New Report: America’s State of Mind.

This report made news a couple of weeks ago. Had a hard time swallowing it at first, and mulled it over to conclude that: 1) maybe PMS/PMDD is being better diagnosed, 2) maybe women are having a really hard time keeping up with impossible standards in a highly developed country [yes, every woman except you keeps nothing but fresh flowers and a handsome knife set on the kitchen counter and (in the words of Steve Carell from Date Night), has a physical appearance "so hot it's like looking through a shimmering jet engine" , 3) social networking reduces the need and opportunity for real social interaction in which your friends could obviously see something is wrong and try to help you, and 4) whatever the reason(s) -- 1 in 4 is nothing to be glad about.

There were other surprising stats about anti-d usage in children too.

Anyway, would you have believed 1 in 4 women ... or higher?

25% of INSURED Americans. That makes a huge difference.

Dawn

Yep. Really. It took me 3 years to get diagnosed with a heart problem because they wanted to treat me for anxiety/depression instead. Not one single doctor wanted to do any sort of heart testing, until I landed in the ER with a skyrocketing heart rate. Maybe I just look depressed. :tongue_smilie:

From my own perspective, it has to do with ideas the OP put forth, and also diet and exercise IMHO. I have suffered from very severe depression in the past. I start back down the path if my diet is bad and I don't exercise. Considering the diet and exercise habits of many Americans, I would say that probably does contribute as well.

Not to mention the take a pill mentality we seem to have, the docs getting huge kickbacks often (not always certainly), the pharmaceutical industry and their bottom line, etc.

I read somewhere not too long ago that women become more disatisfied with life the older they get while men become more satisfied. I wish I could remember where I read that!

Funny, I read the opposite - that women get happier as they get older. That has certainly been my experience.

Dawn

Me either! I'm very surprised to hear it. When I mentioned it in passing in my current doc's office, I could see the "hmmm, I don't think so" look in her eyes. (I wasn't looking for them, just discussing an issue that I was looking for answers to with her happened to mention them in my thought process.)

From my own personal experience, I'd say that your reasons seem very valid, and that the stress/sleep/cortisol triangle is a big part of it. My last few years of working were so stressful that I thought I might die in my sleep some nights, and I'm still surprised I didn't start having panic attacks. Cortisol is a very big deal, and when you're misusing your body, all those systems get all messed up quickly. I think our current society puts a lot of us under major pressure (and we do ourselves, as you mentioned), and I suspect that many women take the brunt of it. Care for the family, management of the household, care of the extended family--that falls mainly on women, and if you add working for pay to that as well, it's no wonder so many of us are running on empty.

In the 1970s, when I was in my late teens and early 20s, docs would frequently offer women Valium prescriptions. Nothing has changed except the type of drug, IMO.

It used to shock me. One time, the doc asked me if anything was new in my life. I said no, that I was still working, going to school, and that I'd just broken up with my boyfriend. I was in a cheerful mood. He started writing a prescription for 10 mg. Valium to help me get over the break-up. I was happy because of the break-up and did not take the script.

This happened to me and to every woman I knew just about every time we saw a physician. Valium for stress, Vitamin B-12 shots for tiredness, pills for losing weight.

When Prozac first came out, I knew lots of people to took that. They were all women, and all of them thought everyone should take it. It should be in the water supply, they said!

So why do so many women need to be medicated in our society? I don't think they all have something physically wrong with them.

Edited by RoughCollie

It doesn't surprise me. Some men and women in my family are on them. (Personally I was blessed with a mellow personality and blow things off pretty easily.) I really wish that there were better mainstream non-chemical treatments, because the drugs all have concerning side effects, which ultimately feed the "need" for them. But on the other hand, who am I to say that another woman doesn't "really feel that bad"? I know some folks that really would rather not take drugs, but they feel they need to in order to accomplish anything day to day.

It's crazy that everyone is on expensive drugs. Ridiculous. The side effects alone are enough to scare me away!

But hey, there is a lot of money in it which is why the drug companies market directly to customers on TV, letting us know our lives will be happy, sunshiney and we will play great tennis if we just take their drugs!

I think there is a lot of sadness and disconnection in this society, unlike in former generations. Though honestly, they were drugging up women with Darvon in the 60's for every imaginable thing. My Mom got Darvon for years when she actually needed a hysterectomy. No doctor would listen!

Today, no one knows their neighbors, or many of them. Friends are too busy. Everyone drives everywhere and there is no time. Families are far-flung, not close to help you through tough times. God, the source all things pertaining to life and godliness (sounds like peace and joy is covered in there)is just basically left out (or a footnote)of our communal life these days.

Things are just not the way they are supposed to be and we try to fix that with drugs, which will never work.

Just my two cents.

[Obviously, excluding major mental health issues here]

:iagree:

My sister's PCOS, vitamin D deficiency, b-12 deficiency, wheat and corn allergies, and IBS (mostly caused from the food allergies) went undiagnosed for 5 straight years. But, every single doctor (ten in all) offered anti-depressants on the first visit! Doctor #11, a D.O. instead of an M.D., was more of a, "Let's see what underlying conditions maybe causing all of these symptoms. I'd be depressed too, if I were you and no one in the medical profession would listen to me." She is not taking anti-depressants. Treating the diseases has made her a much happier person!

Plus, I think the general rat-race of this very hectic society means too many people are sleep deprived, vitamin deprived, fellowship deprived, etc. and at some point, it's going to crash down on them. Since women are far more likely to ask for help, they are more likely to get meds. Guys tend to "suck it up" until it gets VERY bad.

Faith

I can believe it. I know quite a few women on them (and I am sure more that I don't know are taking them). Many seem to find it easier to rely on a pill than deal with the underlying issues (poor lifestyle choices, unhealthy relationships, etc).

(and I am sure in many cases it is easier though that shouldn't be an excuse)

In the 1970s, when I was in my late teens and early 20s, docs would frequently offer women Valium prescriptions. Nothing has changed except the type of drug, IMO.

It used to shock me. One time, the doc asked me if anything was new in my life. I said no, that I was still working, going to school, and that I'd just broken up with my boyfriend. I was in a cheerful mood. He started writing a prescription for 10 mg. Valium to help me get over the break-up. I was happy because of the break-up and did not take the script.

This happened to me and to every woman I knew just about every time we saw a physician. Valium for stress, Vitamin B-12 shots for tiredness, pills for losing weight.

When Prozac first came out, I knew lots of people to took that. They were all women, and all of them thought everyone should take it. It should be in the water supply, they said!

So why do so many women need to be medicated in our society? I don't think they all have something physically wrong with them.

It IS in the water supply!!! They do not have the means to remove that from the filtrated recycled water.

I agree that it is over prescribed. Why would someone need to be on something for more than 3 years???

What is wrong with counseling???

What is wrong with a better diet? I think a lot of it has to do with diet coupled with stress, expectations of others, and feeling unable to cope.

An antidepressant was prescribed for someone I love very much. We read the side effects and person decided he was better off without it. May cause feelings of suicide, worse depression, bad dreams, hallucinations...

"Do not stop taking this medication suddenly."

I know there are a lot of women who take anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds, and have been for years and years...to get off of it requires very careful tapering off, from what I have read, and in some cases hospitalization.

Yep. Really. It took me 3 years to get diagnosed with a heart problem because they wanted to treat me for anxiety/depression instead. Not one single doctor wanted to do any sort of heart testing, until I landed in the ER with a skyrocketing heart rate. Maybe I just look depressed. :tongue_smilie:

Yeah, my mom had colon cancer and (at age 60) no doctor even suggested a colonoscopy. It made her exhausted (no kidding), but they pretty much just figured she had the vapors, or whatever else middle-aged women dramatize over. Bring on the pills. After years of this, my sister luckily read something and made her ask for a colonoscopy. :glare: She had emergency surgery days later.

This could explain some of why more women take it than men. Though the menstrual cycle no doubt has an effect.

I wonder if part of it is that doctors don't take women's complaints as seriously as men's?

But I also think lack of community and friendships is a real issue. I remember when reading - I think it was Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding, but it might have been the childbirth one - that at The Farm, they had almost no incidents of PPD. She attributed this to a tight knit community and very close, responsive support system.

I think many of us are missing that these days.

One of my oldest friends is an expat in Malaysia, and these drugs, Xnanx and the like, are available without a prescrition. Just walk into in any drug store and get whatever you want. Which I think is interesting. You can't even track who is taking what.

What I would like to know is the precentage of folks who smoke pot. *That* would be an interesting stat.

To answer the question. I am not surprised *at all*. I am surprised it's not higher, frankly. Those I've known (meaning those who would tell) who have used various meds are the type who try to be all things to all people (fantastic lawyers, AP or Tiger Moms, etc. ). This will take it's toll. So, not only do you have to make partner, you also have to make sure the kids are headed to Yale. I've even known unschoolers who have tried anti-axiety meds. Most folks I know struggle with wondering if they are good enough, doing enough etc.

No matter what you do or don't do, you have to do or don't without seeming to age.

This is not a world where one can relax. What about money? Money is a huge issue for people. If one is kept up at night worrying where they are going to find money to buy the kids fresh veggies, does one reach for a sleeping aid? Wine? (Which isn't covered by health inusrance.) Valium? (Which mostly is.) This is an unkind world.

Edited by LibraryLover

I can't say I'm completely surprised. I didn't think it would be 25% though. I, too, think they are way overused. We have a huge aversion to feeling negative emotion. Obviously there is such thing as real mental illness and major depression but 25% of American women do NOT have that. I think there are things in life that are depressing and it's normal and natural to feel depressed. That's not cause for psychotropic medication but it's all too often given for that kind of thing.

Edited by tjlufkin

It IS in the water supply!!! They do not have the means to remove that from the filtrated recycled water.

I agree that it is over prescribed. Why would someone need to be on something for more than 3 years???

What is wrong with a better diet? I think a lot of it has to do with diet coupled with stress, expectations of others, and feeling unable to cope.

An antidepressant was prescribed for someone I love very much. We read the side effects and person decided he was better off without it. May cause feelings of suicide, worse depression, bad dreams, hallucinations...

I know there are a lot of women who take anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds, and have been for years and years...to get off of it requires very careful tapering off, from what I have read, and in some cases hospitalization.

You might want to reconsider how harshly you denigrate the woman who are on these. I was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and it had gotten to the point that I couldn't function without medication. The standard treatment is anti-depressants, and has made a huge difference for me. I have a very healthy diet, and dd and I walk everywhere. When you have an actual mental health condition, eating some vegetables and going for a run isn't going to cure you. OCD doesn't magically get better after a year or two.

It's also this stigma that keeps so many women from seeking treatment for PPD and PPP. New mothers read things like your post, and think it would be somehow weak or shameful to seek medical treatment, and that endangers both the mother and her children.

I suppose it makes people feel better to sit around and judge something you have no experience with, but you might want to think about the people you're judging so harshly, as well.

:iagree: I suffer from depression and NSAIDS have helped considerably. Diet and counseling only helped so much. I think those comments (from pp) are so condescending.

Lisa

You might want to reconsider how harshly you denigrate the woman who are on these. I was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and it had gotten to the point that I couldn't function without medication. The standard treatment is anti-depressants, and has made a huge difference for me. I have a very healthy diet, and dd and I walk everywhere. When you have an actual mental health condition, eating some vegetables and going for a run isn't going to cure you. OCD doesn't magically get better after a year or two.

It's also this stigma that keeps so many women from seeking treatment for PPD and PPP. New mothers read things like your post, and think it would be somehow weak or shameful to seek medical treatment, and that endangers both the mother and her children.

I suppose it makes people feel better to sit around and judge something you have no experience with, but you might want to think about the people you're judging so harshly, as well.

I can believe it. I know quite a few women on them (and I am sure more that I don't know are taking them). Many seem to find it easier to rely on a pill than deal with the underlying issues (poor lifestyle choices, unhealthy relationships, etc).

I find myself becoming very annoyed and defensive with some of these responses.

Do you realize how ignorant these comments are? Yes, let's all feel superior and pat ourselves on the back.

Lisa

One of my oldest friends is an expat in Malaysia, and these drugs, Xananx and the like, are available without a prescrition. Just walk into in any drug store and get whatever you want. Which I think is interesting. You can't even track who is taking what.

What I would like to know is the precentage of folks who smoke pot. *That* would be an interesting stat.

To answer the question. I am not surprised *at all*. I am surprised it's not higher, frankly. Those I've known (meaning those who would tell) who have used various meds are the type who try to be all things to all people (fantastic lawyers, AP or Tiger Moms, etc. ). This will take it's toll. So, not only do you have to make partner, you also have to make sure the kids are headed to Yale. I've even known unschoolers who have tried anti-axiety meds. Most folks I know struggle with wondering if they are good enough, doing enough etc.

No matter what you do or don't do, you have to do or don't without seeming to age.

This is not a world where one can relax. What about money? Money is a huge issue for people. If one is kept up at night worrying where they are going to find money to buy the kids fresh veggies, does one reach for a sleeping aid? Wine? (Which isn't covered by health inusrance.) Valium? (Which mostly is.) This is an unkind world.

:iagree: I am not on an anti-depressant but I did wake up at 4:30am this morning after a nightmare regarding my dc taking placement tests at a private school!:lol:

I have a family member who shall remain nameless who holds the opinion that depression is all in the head (:tongue_smilie:) and that people can get by without all those drugs. This is the same man who drinks alot and smokes a lot of dope.:lol: I haven't ever pointed out the hypocrisy, but I might in the future.:D

In addition, after seeing someone very close to me suffer greatly with depression, I am very glad that the meds are available.

Originally Posted by gingerh

I'm a big believer in counseling and lifestyle changes.

Depression, however, is a *physical issue.* In many cases, unless that physical issue is addressed, the person with depression CAN'T make and sustain changes.

Thank you for saying this, Mergath. I don't really doubt that AD's are over prescribed, but there are so many people who will not seek treatment because of comments like some of the ones in this thread. It's so sad that people are suffering, and they don't have to. Women (and men) should not have to live in shame because of their illnesses.

I'm not on AD's, but I am on mood stabilizers and very occasionally have to take an anti-anxiety med. Some people REALLY do have chemical imbalances and all the wonderful, healthy diet, exercise, and counseling in the world won't cure it. I will have to take meds the rest of my life, and I just thank God every day that they are available.

There is nothing easy about knowing you have to take medication every day of your life to be able to function. Nothing. You know the old adage about walking a mile in someone else's shoes?

Comments like yours make me physically ill.

:iagree: I also have ppd and ocd. I suffered for 21 years before getting help, then the stigma made me quit. It took me until 10 months pp to get help for my ppd that was so bad that I almost have ptsd because there is still a huge stigma out there about it. I changed my diet to everything under the sun, I took every supplement known to man, including many nasty tinctures 4 times a day. Everything. But nothing helped. With zoloft, I'm human again.

"Better Living Through Chemistry"

More "natural" methods of coming with the blues (I'm not talking frank depression) take time, Americans are not very accepting of waiting things out, and societal acceptance of better living through chemistry all make this statistic come about. I like to put some blame on TV, where all problems are solved in 30-60 minutes, people live in nice spotless houses and appear to do no work, and no one has arthritis, etc, unless they are a cute cranky old lady. (Things may have changed, and I haven't seen TV in 20 years, but some how I doubt it.)

As for the dark thoughts that doctors make money on these things, i.e. give them a pill and push them out the door: it is hard to say no to someone who comes in crying and says her sister is a new woman on Paxil. Those patients go onto the next doctor.

"Better Living Through Chemistry"

More "natural" methods of coming with the blues (I'm not talking frank depression) take time, Americans are not very accepting of waiting things out, and societal acceptance of better living through chemistry all make this statistic come about. I like to put some blame on TV, where all problems are solved in 30-60 minutes, people live in nice spotless houses and appear to do no work, and no one has arthritis, etc, unless they are a cute cranky old lady. (Things may have changed, and I haven't seen TV in 20 years, but some how I doubt it.)

As for the dark thoughts that doctors make money on these things, i.e. give them a pill and push them out the door: it is hard to say no to someone who comes in crying and says her sister is a new woman on Paxil. Those patients go onto the next doctor.

[kalanamak, I was so hoping you'd see this and chime in ... ]

Edited by mirth
why can I not type a grammatically correct sentence first time 'round anymore?

It does not surprise me at all.

One of the reasons for this is that psychotropic drugs are fundamentally different types of drugs from other types of drugs, in that they are being prescribed without proper clinical tests. Think about it: you go to a physician, complain of something, and get an extremely potent thing prescribed, typically without a single "physical" test that something is physically wrong (nothing akin to blood tests). So, on the grounds of a personal complaint and another person's opinion (or automatism in prescribing it), you get a drug which physically alters the structures of your brain. It is genuinely different from taking drugs for high blood pressure (though those are overprescribed too, in many cases it could be treated with a lifestyle change), because in that case there are actual clinical tests, actually results and results after a treatment, actual tables with approximate norms per age and body status, and it is a lot easier to securely diagnose things. With psychotropic drugs, even if there is research of underlying physiological reasons for how and why they work, there are no individualized tests to check whether YOU have that chemical imbalance they speak of, or low dopamine levels, or whatnot. It is diagnosed based on impressions, questionnaires and clusters of symptoms, without clinical tests. It creeps the hell out of me when I think about it. Those drugs were developed to be extremely carefully used (with maximum scrutiny at prescribing them, due to the lack of proper clinical tests) by extremely small percentages of the population who might need them and now they are being used pretty much like vitamin supplements - almost every household has one.

I think the major problem is that the US health procedures are typically so invasive. Physicians, automatically, tend to go for more complex and more "fundamental" solutions, rather than attempt to start at the basics and filter out those who could truly profit from attempting a drug from those who just need some more order in their life (in terms of lifestyle choices). Patients, on the other hand, are often lazy and wanting a quick fix, rather than lifestyle changes. It is a deadly couple which leads to overprescription. There are often genuine intentions there - a desire to err on the safe side and rather treat than not treat - but when it comes to those substances, everyone should actually be erring on the opposite side and avoid them as long as possible.

It does not surprise me at all.

One of the reasons for this is that psychotropic drugs are fundamentally different types of drugs from other types of drugs, in that they are being prescribed without proper clinical tests. Think about it: you go to a physician, complain of something, and get an extremely potent thing prescribed, typically without a single "physical" test that something is physically wrong (nothing akin to blood tests). So, on the grounds of a personal complaint and another person's opinion (or automatism in prescribing it), you get a drug which physically alters the structures of your brain. It is genuinely different from taking drugs for high blood pressure (though those are overprescribed too, in many cases it could be treated with a lifestyle change), because in that case there are actual clinical tests, actually results and results after a treatment, actual tables with approximate norms per age and body status, and it is a lot easier to securely diagnose things. With psychotropic drugs, even if there is research of underlying physiological reasons for how and why they work, there are no individualized tests to check whether YOU have that chemical imbalance they speak of, or low dopamine levels, or whatnot. It is diagnosed based on impressions, questionnaires and clusters of symptoms, without clinical tests. It creeps the hell out of me when I think about it. Those drugs were developed to be extremely carefully used (with maximum scrutiny at prescribing them, due to the lack of proper clinical tests) by extremely small percentages of the population who might need them and now they are being used pretty much like vitamin supplements - almost every household has one.

I think the major problem is that the US health procedures are typically so invasive. Physicians, automatically, tend to go for more complex and more "fundamental" solutions, rather than attempt to start at the basics and filter out those who could truly profit from attempting a drug from those who just need some more order in their life (in terms of lifestyle choices). Patients, on the other hand, are often lazy and wanting a quick fix, rather than lifestyle changes. It is a deadly couple which leads to overprescription. There are often genuine intentions there - a desire to err on the safe side and rather treat than not treat - but when it comes to those substances, everyone should actually be erring on the opposite side and avoid them as long as possible.

I think this can be said for almost ALL types of drugs, psychotropic or not. Because they are used so much and are so readily available, we have lost a lot of the respect for how powerful pharmaceuticals are and how almost all of them should be used as a last resort and very carefully. It's NOT just anti-depressants so don't even go there and jump all over me (speaking to the board not to you Ester ;) ) like a previous poster was jumped on. This is true for antibiotics most of all probably. We get fast, powerful results from pharmaceuticals and we used to that so that's what we demand. I just don't think that's good for us in the end. I still stand by my statement that, yes, some people do need these but NOT 25% of women.

I read somewhere not too long ago that women become more disatisfied with life the older they get while men become more satisfied. I wish I could remember where I read that!

At least in geriatrics, old men ARE grumpier. But maybe they are satisfied. :001_smile:

(This reminds me of the old quip that the perfect lover is always grateful but never satisfied.)

One of the reasons for this is that psychotropic drugs are fundamentally different types of drugs from other types of drugs, in that they are being prescribed without proper clinical tests.

Psychiatry is DOOMED to be "squishy". Once something is well understood, it is given to the neurologists (e.g. epilepsy). Merely getting the definitions down is 100 years behind all the other fields, and quite a squishy affair of itself ("I'll allow that homosexuality isn't an illness, if you'll drop the term neurosis." --Actual paraphrase from a meeting on the DSM)

Just last night, I was talking with someone that I thought would benefit from anti depressants. Actually, I think it would change her life dramatically but she doesn't want to take the medication because she is "against ad's". :001_huh:

On the other hand, I went with my husband to his appointment with a psychiatrist and the doctor thought that I was the patient. :glare: He told me he really wanted to talk to me. I walked out of the office with a script for Xanax, Prozac, and Wellbutrin!

I started to take all of them (Xanax 3X day, Prozac in the evening and Wellbutrin in the morning) and after about 2 weeks I realized that I was taking all the drugs but I wasn't really clinically depressed! I was STRESSED and maybe a bit obsessive about some things that I have no control over and I'm hurt over a major marital problem... but what I thought I needed was counseling. I stopped the drugs (although when I feel a bit overly stressed, I will take a xanax and I'm glad I have them!) but I have other better ways of dealing with my emotions and problems.

My husband on the other hand needs his AD. If he forgets a dose, I start getting anxious for him!

Well, with my experience last summer I would. I wasn't sleeping because of leg cramps most of the night. I became sleep deprived, wasn't able to get much of anything done as I was dragging all day, everyday. I really was fighting depression as life just seemed impossible at the time. I went to my Dr, explained what was going on. My BP was elevated a bit. He increased my BP meds, added a colestral med that is known to cause muscle cramps with the statement,"You already have leg cramps so this shouldn't really matter.":confused: Also with the instructions that if I didn't feel better shortly to come back and he would give me something for my depression.:tongue_smilie:

I went home feeling really hopeless. I googled the meds that I was on for BP and found that they both had side affect of muscle cramps. HE HAD INCREASED THEM! I went to my Chiropractor asking for something to help me get off of the meds. I started on a vit. regiment and within days I had myself off the meds. My bp stays stable with taking one of the meds about once every 5-7 days and the supplements. I could be on all of the meds plus an antidepressant though.:tongue_smilie:

ETS: I hate drugs and avoid when possible. Saying that I have a sister that anti depressants have changed her life, in a very good way.

Edited by mom4him

Wow. Just WOW. I take antidepressants and have for many years. When I try to go off of them (hell, when I miss a few doses) I become suicidal. It is a very fast slippery slope for me. There is nothing bad or traumatic in my life. I have a wonderful husband, wonderful kids. The first time I was prescribed antidepressants, I was in college. I was having fun, making nearly straight A's without much effort, lots of dates, sorority parties.....and one day I didn't get out of bed. And then I didn't get out of bed again. I (finally) called my parents crying and they came and pulled me out of school. It took months to for me to get better- but I did, I went back to school, finished with honors.

If you knew me- you would NEVER guess in a MILLION years that I struggle with depression. (Unless I told you.) I have a great life. And I am **** good at faking my emotional state in public. I have nothing major to complain about. But my brain does not process chemicals the way it is supposed to- and without those pills, I quickly begin to feel like my kids would be better off if I was dead. I literally do not get off the couch. My husband has had to take time off work to care for the kids.

And to address another poster- none of this has anything to do with relying on meds before other remedies. Not only have I tried everything under the sun, but I have two kids that have only been sick (enough to go to the doc) once each. Only one has ever been even on antibiotics. Does that sound like people who rely too much on medication?

I cannot believe some of the posts in this thread.

[chime in ... ]

More like a muffled thud.

Part of all of this is that psychiatric care is expensive and often not covered. So, the family practitioner is asked to do it. If you refer to a therapist the patient won't go (expensive and/or stigma).

I recall one patient from many years ago. Her hubby dumped her and her 16 year old for a young woman and a motorcycle. She came in week after week for her "blood pressure" appointment, and wept. After a few weeks I started to think there was more than simple grief going on. I encouraged the usual: getting out, walking, talking to her pastor, etc. etc. After about 2 months of this her (lovely, smart, caring) daughter came in and said, "Mom is falling apart and needs help. She can't ask for antidepressants, but she needs them, and if you offer she will gratefully take them. But they have to be your idea."

Woman got better. It was slow, but she did get better. Once she was out of her bed she could start doing the things I'd been advising. That daughter helped me see I should always ask if there was anything I could do to help. Quite often the reply has been a request for anti-depressants.

In the world of meds, SSRIs have very few damaging side effects. Who am I to say, "no, you aren't suffering enough to try these"? Are they more damaging than lying in bed in the dark day after day? Or binge-drinking?

I feel a strong moral responsibility to use antibiotics wisely, but a strict "evidence-based medical model" is difficult in this situation, where there is no nice, neat 140/90 or lower goal.

There are three adult women in my house (me and 18yo twin daughters) and two of us have been on antidepressants (different med for each of us) for years. MANY of my friends, maybe even most, have taken them at some point, some for months, some for years. If I forget to take Zoloft for a couple of days in a row it is not a good situation. I don't become suicidal, but it's pretty much as close as to that as it could get while still wanting to stay alive. Not because life is good but because I couldn't bear to leave my children.