Menu

Does it surprise you that 1 in 4 American women are on anti-depressants?

If you have depression, I urge you to get tested for MTHFR which is a genetic mutation in the way the body handles folate (folic acid). IIRC, about 40% of the population has it. A high dose of methylfolate (a converted/active form of folate) is what's used in

Deplin - depression http://www.deplin.com/

Metanx - diabetes http://www.metanx.com/

Cerefolin - Alzheimer's/memory loss http://cerefolinnac.com/

NeevoDHA - high risk pregnancy http://www.neevodha.com/

and used to lower homocysteine (marker for risk of CVD/stroke)

It can be bought over the counter and here are some reviews:

http://www.iherb.com/Solgar-Folate-Metafolin-Folic-Acid-800-mcg-100-Tablets/13961?at=1

http://www.iherb.com/Solgar-Folate-400-mcg-100-Tablets/14274?at=1

http://www.iherb.com/Life-Extension-Optimized-Folate-L-Methylfolate-1000-mcg-100-Veggie-Caps-Discontinued-Item/18245?at=1

I'm intrigued. Is this something doctors can easily test for? Will most insurances cover testing? What in the heck do you take if you are positive?

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm intrigued. Is this something doctors can easily test for? Will most insurances cover testing? What in the heck do you take if you are positive?

Yes, doctors can easily test for it. Don't know if your insurance covers testing - mine did. You take higher (than normal) doses of methylfolate (preferably with the active forms of B12 (methylcobalamin) and B6 (P5P). Most people find out that they have it when they have multiple miscarriages (doc orders testing) and subsequent testing of other family members.

There are 2 mutations - the serious one (C677T) and less serious (A1298C). I have one A598C/1 blank (no risk) and my dh has 2 C677T (high risk of cardiovascular disease and clots/stroke). 2 of my dc (one of which has high cholesterol since she was 12 yrs old) have 1 C677T (from dh) and 1 A1298C (from me) - both are at risk for CVD and stroke. 1 dc has one C677T/1 blank (they claim he has no risk but he already has high cholesterol at 12 even with a very healthy diet).

Dh has high cholesterol, high homocysteine (which goes down with use of methylfolate) and high blood pressure. All of dh's uncles on his dad's side died of CVD before age 45. I'm hoping that by supplementing early, the kids won't develop the problems dh has.

I give in total 3mg methylfolate, 2mg methylcobalamin and 35 mg P5P and for each C677T mutation (counting what's in a b-complex daily). I mirror the Metanx tablet - http://diabetes.emedtv.com/metanx/metanx.html

Edited by Sandra in FL

Hmmmmm... I have one A and one C mutation (found out through testing due to multiple early miscarriages). I take megadoses of Folic Acid, B6, and B12, especially when pregnant/postpartum. For my third pregnancy I took blood thinners (there's some disagreement among docs whether this is really needed - I decided not to take them again in my 4th pregnacy and everything went fine - although I was very viligant in my B supplements.

Even though I have an A & a C mutation I have low cholesteral, low homocysteine, and blood pressure on the low side of normal.

Don't know why I'm rambling about this..lol. I better get to bed.

Yes, doctors can easily test for it. Don't know if your insurance covers testing - mine did. You take higher (than normal) doses of methylfolate (preferably with the active forms of B12 (methylcobalamin) and B6 (P5P). Most people find out that they have it when they have multiple miscarriages (doc orders testing) and subsequent testing of other family members.

There are 2 mutations - the serious one (C677T) and less serious (A1298C). I have one A598C/1 blank (no risk) and my dh has 2 C677T (high risk of cardiovascular disease and clots/stroke). 2 of my dc (one of which has high cholesterol since she was 12 yrs old) have 1 C677T (from dh) and 1 A1298C (from me) - both are at risk for CVD and stroke. 1 dc has one C677T/1 blank (they claim he has no risk but he already has high cholesterol at 12 even with a very healthy diet).

Dh has high cholesterol, high homocysteine (which goes down with use of methylfolate) and high blood pressure. All of dh's uncles on his dad's side died of CVD before age 45. I'm hoping that by supplementing early, the kids won't develop the problems dh has.

I give in total 3mg methylfolate, 2mg methylcobalamin and 35 mg P5P and for each C677T mutation (counting what's in a b-complex daily). I mirror the Metanx tablet - http://diabetes.emedtv.com/metanx/metanx.html

The risk of fatality in Major Depression untreated is 20-40% percent depending on the type. The risk of fatality with treatment is much lower. Yes, some on anti-depressants commit suicide. Some may because the medicine aren't working and they get even more depressed, some may because the medicine starts working, and they get more energy but still have the same bleak outlook. All that is known is that the risk is higher in the starting times of teens and young adults. The same risk doesn't seem to be there for adults past 25. It may have something to do with impulsivity or with the fact that younger brains are different.

Depression is not the only disease with different outcomes and risks based on age. A lot of diseases fall into that category.

I'll have to ask about this at my next appointment. All of the women in my family die of stroke. Either in their 90's-100's or in their 30's-40's. So that definitely worries me. Thanks for the info! Do you use otc vitamins or prescriptions for you?

Death from suicide is not complete, emotional, physical, familial and financial ruin? :confused:

I'm kind of awestruck by that thought. I can't help but think maybe you didn't mean to say that?

All drugs can have side effects that, in rare cases, may turn out to be worse than the original disease. If statistically speaking, more sufferers are helped than harmed by a drug, then it is a reasonable chance to take.

I think it's pretty obvious that I wasn't saying suicide is no big deal - I frankly think you are being disingenuous and unfair to me by implying that I'm somehow callous and uncaring about suicide.

The fact is, more people commit suicide due to untreated depression than due to medication. (I'm setting aside the issue of pediatric use of these medications, which I know is much more complicated. The original thread was about "women" so I'm assuming we are talking about adults.) Furthermore, it is notoriously difficult to figure out whether a given suicide results from the underlying depression or from the drug.

Lastly, I think it is clear from my post that what I was referring to was the self-destructive downward spiral that drug abuse leads to. There is a big difference between taking an SSRI as directed by your doctor, and, say, drinking yourself under the table every night, possibly starting to miss work or even lose a job, or abuse or neglect your children, or destroy your liver. If you truly don't see the difference, I'm not sure how else to respond.

I'll have to ask about this at my next appointment. All of the women in my family die of stroke. Either in their 90's-100's or in their 30's-40's. So that definitely worries me. Thanks for the info! Do you use otc vitamins or prescriptions for you?

That's strange - either very early or very late. With family history of stroke, I'd check blood tests and if necessary, use baby aspirin or Nattokinase (fermented soy that thins blood - I give dh a capsule every day). We use otc - Pure Encapsulations Multi T/D (except allergic ds who uses a b-complex) with (extra) active forms of folate, B6, B12.

The one peculiar thing about dh is that he's having high iron - has to regularly donate blood. No one else in his family has that.

Hmmmmm... I have one A and one C mutation (found out through testing due to multiple early miscarriages). I take megadoses of Folic Acid, B6, and B12, especially when pregnant/postpartum. For my third pregnancy I took blood thinners (there's some disagreement among docs whether this is really needed - I decided not to take them again in my 4th pregnacy and everything went fine - although I was very viligant in my B supplements.

Even though I have an A & a C mutation I have low cholesteral, low homocysteine, and blood pressure on the low side of normal.

Don't know why I'm rambling about this..lol. I better get to bed.

Dd has the same as you - I suspect she might have problems with miscarriages too. B vitamins are very important for you guys. Hopefully by supplementing early she can avoid some of the problems. Dh has the double whammy of 2 Cs. Do you normally supplement (when not pregnant)? If you don't mind me asking, did you miscarry on your 1st and 2nd pregnancies or did you have 3 full-term pregnancies without blood thinners and one with?

Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder almost 2 years ago after being misdiagnosed and mistreated by my primary physician for about 8 years. I finally took myself to a psychiatrist, and I believe that action saved my life. It's been a long hard road, but I am finally mostly stable, lol. I'm sure you get that. :grouphug:

:grouphug:

Thank you. I'm finally mostly stable as well. It has been such a long road but I'm happy to be here. Meds have saved my life. :grouphug:

:iagree:

Thank you for this post.

I spent years dealing with depression and anxiety. I would go days without sleeping and then sleep for 14 hours a day. Depression does not just manifest itself as feeling down, etc. As a teen I went from working three grade levels ahead and in the gifted program to attending an alternative high school because I was drinking to self medicate and acting out. I wish that someone had taken me to the doctor and maybe even considered meds. It would have changed a lot in my life.

I had the signs of bipolar disorder for a years but just brushed it off, didn't think I needed meds. Until one day my life changed. I literally woke up one morning and life as I knew it was over. The bipolar symptoms hit me full force.

I wish that I could convey what it was like and what it continues to be like. It is as though I was in a car accident and two years later, I'm still recovering. I had to leave the career that I worked so hard to get. I had been a single mom, put myself through university, and was making it.

Overnight..done, over. I became a shell of myself. I could go on and on but suffice to say, there is no way to tell you how horrifying it was and continues to be.

I'm doing better now but I still can't function in the way that I used to, although I am able to work, albeit part time and no longer in my career field. It honestly has been a brain injury, that's what it is. People with standard, not manic, depression may not experience it in this way exactly but it can be very debilitating.

Sure, there may be some overdiagnosis but I'm more concerned about those that are not diagnosed, that suffer from mental health conditions are do not seek out the meds and treatment that they need because of posts like some that I see here.

I have always had an issue with big pharma. And yet, medication, antidepressants and mood stablizers, have made it possible for me to function in daily life, be a mother and partner. Without them, I wouldn't be here.

Many of the posts here indicate that people just don't have a clue. I'm sorry but it's true. I understand that it can be tough to understand. I would not have fully grasped it until it happened to me.

You just never know. I never thought that my life would change in the blink of an eye. It can happen and trust me, if it happens to you, your view on this issue will change drastically.

This is also the story of my life. It was my primary family physician that first diagnosed me and got me started on the right medications (after trying many that did not work). He seem to know exactly what he was doing and what steps needed to be taken next until I reached a point where I was stable enough to trasfer to a Pdoc.

This is a multifacited problem that can not be solved by a bunch of women on a public forum, or by government mandate, or even by greater regulation of doctors and big pharma. This is a problem that can only be resolved on an individual basis, one person at a time between the patient and the doctor.

People need to do their research and ask the tough questions of their doctors and feel comfortable with the answers they are given. If they are not then they need to move on to another doctor. I really don't think that the problem is that too many women are over medicated so much as people's lives are so incredibly stressful these days that they have problems that drive them to the doctors in the first place. Many of the problems can not be resolved and doctors, generally speaking, are just doing the best that they can to help.